Register now to remove this ad

Page 424 of 425 FirstFirst ... 324374414422423424425 LastLast
Results 6,346 to 6,360 of 6362

Thread: Official NBA thread

  1. #6346
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    just caught up on what the Celtics did on draft day, tradng down, getting Tatum and getting another #1 pick in either '18 ( if that pick is between #2-#5) or '19. They still have Nets' '18 #1 pick and I've herd there might be some big men to take in next year's draft. What's the overall feelings on this strategy here on talksox? I'll make it known, I trust Ainge a lot and if he thinks there's not much difference between Fultz, Ball, Tatum, Jackson, etc. and they got who they were going to pick anyway at #1 or #3 and got another future #1 pick down the road, I'm fine with it.
    I saw one "expert" reporter graded the Celt's draft a "C+".

    I agree with your view.

    I don't see a big difference in any of these top picks. They are all 19 or so with one year of college ball.

    None of them are likely to be impact players very soon. It's not like Spencer Haywood or Moses Malone were on the board.

    No transformative players available. The Celts did about as well as can be expected with their selection.

    We just have to see who on the current roster will remain and who the Celts grab in free agency and with trades.

    Danny is not done. I too trust him to do what is best.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  2. #6347
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I saw one "expert" reporter graded the Celt's draft a "C+".

    I agree with your view.

    I don't see a big difference in any of these top picks. They are all 19 or so with one year of college ball.

    None of them are likely to be impact players very soon. It's not like Spencer Haywood or Moses Malone were on the board.

    No transformative players available. The Celts did about as well as can be expected with their selection.

    We just have to see who on the current roster will remain and who the Celts grab in free agency and with trades.

    Danny is not done. I too trust him to do what is best.
    I agree with this too. Drafting any 19 year old AAU All Star is a huge gamble. One year of college basketball in no way prepares these guys for the next level. If I am going to draft any one and done, I probably would go after the one that came out of Duke even if it was for one year. Tatum has learned something. I like this kid and I don't think that we needed another (might be great someday) guard. Danny didn't get screwed by anyone who wanted to trade with us either.

  3. #6348
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I saw one "expert" reporter graded the Celt's draft a "C+".

    I agree with your view.

    I don't see a big difference in any of these top picks. They are all 19 or so with one year of college ball.

    None of them are likely to be impact players very soon. It's not like Spencer Haywood or Moses Malone were on the board.

    No transformative players available. The Celts did about as well as can be expected with their selection.

    We just have to see who on the current roster will remain and who the Celts grab in free agency and with trades.

    Danny is not done. I too trust him to do what is best.
    Some names to watch next season & for the 2018 draft: Mohamed Bamba, C, Texas, DeAndre Ayton, C, Arizona, and if there's a potential Power Forward among Michael Porter Jr., F, Missouri, Robert Williams, F, Texas A&M, Jaren Jackson Jr., F, Michigan State, Kevin Knox, F, Kentucky.

    The '18 draft might not be as deep a draft, but it doesn't need to be if the Celts (may) have two very high picks.

  4. #6349
    latest rumor that I just read said that if the Celtics were able to sign Hayward, then a trade for Paul George very likely could be done with him signing a contract extension. If Danny could pull that one off, it would certainly get my attention.

  5. #6350
    and here comes gordon hayward folks - it's a shame no free agents want to play in boston! lol
    Now the games really do begin!

  6. #6351
    People - fans - should do themselves a favor and read hayward's letter thanking the people of Utah and to the franchise in general. Refreshing to know that there are athletes like this out there and still coming to boston!

  7. #6352
    I don't really get what the Celtics are doing. Why give Crowder a ton of money, draft Brown and Tatum, then sign Hayward?

    Still not good enough to beat Cleveland and have a lot of guys who play same position. They should've just drafted Fultz. He's gonna be a stud.

  8. #6353
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I don't really get what the Celtics are doing. Why give Crowder a ton of money, draft Brown and Tatum, then sign Hayward?

    Still not good enough to beat Cleveland and have a lot of guys who play same position. They should've just drafted Fultz. He's gonna be a stud.
    I have concerns as well but they don't exactly align with yours. For the record I think the Celts got the best player for a need. They need a wing man that can fill it up. I have not seen enough of any of the top picks to say for sure if Tatum is that guy but the Celts do not need another scoring guard. They need a wing man that can grab some rebounds and play D. Tatum seems the best fit given those criteria. Again, just my opinion. Maybe Fultz will be a stud. Big deal. I really doubt that this guy is another Clarence Glover.

    What I don't like is what Danny will likely do to make cap space for Haywood. So far, Emir Johnson is gone, Tyler Zeller is gone ( but may be back ), Kelly Olynic is going to be gone even with the qualifier. They can renounce that. Danny will still need to make more cap space. Likely purges I have read will be Young, Green ( no big loses there ),Jerebko, Rozier, and here is the kicker, Marcus Smart. Talk is that Crowoder will be gone as well.

    That is gutting a team any way you look at it. All for a guy who is primarily a shooter.

    I reserve judgement until the dust settles. But I suspect that Stevens will have his work cut out for himself. This team, at this point, appears to be taking a step back. At least for the first 30-40 games of the new season. That is a lot of moving parts to coordinate and scheme for.

    The Celts will likely remain near the top of the heap in the east but number 1 or conference champs look less likely this season.

    In any case, the Celts are an interesting team.

    By the way, having a bunch of players who do the same thing is part of the team's strength which is depth. With so many players likely gone I wonder if that depth will still be there.
    Last edited by Spudboy; 07-04-2017 at 11:43 PM.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  9. #6354
    The Hayward signing was a great sign by the Celtics. If the cost is Crowder and a few other complimentary players so be it. We might get a chance to see how good Brown can be. I hope they still find a way to keep Rozier but there is still plenty of depth, some of which is unnecessary, to get this team through. They got better. Heading in the right direction.

  10. #6355
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    The Hayward signing was a great sign by the Celtics. If the cost is Crowder and a few other complimentary players so be it. We might get a chance to see how good Brown can be. I hope they still find a way to keep Rozier but there is still plenty of depth, some of which is unnecessary, to get this team through. They got better. Heading in the right direction.
    The talk is both Rozier and Jackson will be gone as well as one of Bradly and Smart.

    That does not leave any depth at all.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  11. #6356
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    The talk is both Rozier and Jackson will be gone as well as one of Bradly and Smart.

    That does not leave any depth at all.
    Haven't read anything today really but what I heard was that the talk still centered around one of Crowder, Bradley, and Smart. If it is Crowder, we still have plenty of depth. He might not be 10 or 12 deep but Brown needs to be able to play more. If Rozier stays, no problem really for me if either Bradley or Smart (not both are gone as well). I feel about the same way about Rozier as I do Brown. Kid needs minutes. My guess is that they will be a solid 9 to 11 deep before it starts and that is all they need. To date we have lost no draft picks. For me it is a great day to be a Celtic fan.

  12. #6357
    I'm not a Celtics fan, so maybe one of you guys can educate me, but what is the obsession with Rozier? I've heard numerous people tell me how good he is and I don't really see it. I've watched him a lot and saw him play at Louisville and never saw him as a star or anything. He just seems like a decent bench guy/role player at best. His shot selection has always been questionable and he hasn't been able to make shit so far in NBA. I just don't get it. I know he's "gritty" and hustles and all that, but does that really make him untouchable?

  13. #6358
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I'm not a Celtics fan, so maybe one of you guys can educate me, but what is the obsession with Rozier? I've heard numerous people tell me how good he is and I don't really see it. I've watched him a lot and saw him play at Louisville and never saw him as a star or anything. He just seems like a decent bench guy/role player at best. His shot selection has always been questionable and he hasn't been able to make shit so far in NBA. I just don't get it. I know he's "gritty" and hustles and all that, but does that really make him untouchable?
    I don't think that Rozier is untouchable. I saw him play as well at Louisville. I really like what he brings. I just think that he like some others needs minutes. The Celtics have done a very good job under Coach Steven's leadership but the duplication at most positionns although giving some strength in depth, i think has restricted the development of some of our younger players. I like Rozier's quickness . Depth is important don't get me wrong but once you go past 8 or 9 players in the NBA you might actually have too much.

  14. #6359
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I have concerns as well but they don't exactly align with yours. For the record I think the Celts got the best player for a need. They need a wing man that can fill it up. I have not seen enough of any of the top picks to say for sure if Tatum is that guy but the Celts do not need another scoring guard. They need a wing man that can grab some rebounds and play D. Tatum seems the best fit given those criteria. Again, just my opinion. Maybe Fultz will be a stud. Big deal. I really doubt that this guy is another Clarence Glover.

    What I don't like is what Danny will likely do to make cap space for Haywood. So far, Emir Johnson is gone, Tyler Zeller is gone ( but may be back ), Kelly Olynic is going to be gone even with the qualifier. They can renounce that. Danny will still need to make more cap space. Likely purges I have read will be Young, Green ( no big loses there ),Jerebko, Rozier, and here is the kicker, Marcus Smart. Talk is that Crowoder will be gone as well.

    That is gutting a team any way you look at it. All for a guy who is primarily a shooter.

    I reserve judgement until the dust settles. But I suspect that Stevens will have his work cut out for himself. This team, at this point, appears to be taking a step back. At least for the first 30-40 games of the new season. That is a lot of moving parts to coordinate and scheme for.

    The Celts will likely remain near the top of the heap in the east but number 1 or conference champs look less likely this season.

    In any case, the Celts are an interesting team.

    By the way, having a bunch of players who do the same thing is part of the team's strength which is depth. With so many players likely gone I wonder if that depth will still be there.
    Gordon Hayward is a top-15 player in the NBA. You don't keep rotation players when you have the chance to acquire someone like that. The Celtics should also be able to find some players on buyouts or second rounders in March too.

  15. #6360
    Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    Gordon Hayward is a top-15 player in the NBA. You don't keep rotation players when you have the chance to acquire someone like that. The Celtics should also be able to find some players on buyouts or second rounders in March too.
    I really love the signings of Baynes and Morris. Tough to lose Bradley but overall their depth with respect to what they really need just got a lot deeper.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •