Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charlie Zink

I looked at minor league baseball.com and he wasn't listed with the team, so I thought that was weird. Is there a chance he could be demoted?
    Quote Originally Posted by ORS
    I know they will. At some point in your life, you'll grow up and quit pulling stupid shit like this. Then, the world will be a better place. Unfortunately, somebody else will turn 12 and start doing the same thing. It's a vicious cycle.

All-Star
    You can't demote him, he would still suck. He just has to work through it. It's a touchy situation with knucklers. Zink has a big-league quality knuckleball, it's just that he cannot control it 75% of the time, resulting in the ridiculous amount of walks. If something clicked for him, he could step into a big league rotation tomorrow. Until then, he just has to fight through it and take it one level per year.

Jeter Jeter peter eater RedSoxRooter's Avatar
    Boy, I can pick 'em, huh?

From Mainetoday.com

Knuckleball pitcher Charlie Zink (1-8, 5.79) was demoted to Class A Sarasota. Ryan Cameron replaces him in the rotation.

All-Star
    Well, that makes me look like a complete idiot (see two posts up). I still think he is going to suck there, so I'll be 1/2 right.

Can anyone find out when he is starting? I live in Sarasota so maybe I'll go see him play.
    I know they will. At some point in your life, you'll grow up and quit pulling stupid shit like this. Then, the world will be a better place. Unfortunately, somebody else will turn 12 and start doing the same thing. It's a vicious cycle.

SEA DOGS NOTEBOOK: Kevin Thomas

Zink gets chance to show his mettle and return to Dogs

Copyright © 2004 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

He was the surprise of the 2003 season. Charlie Zink came from Class A Sarasota and, in a sense, from nowhere, to star for the Portland Sea Dogs.

Zink pitched only six games for Portland, but he wowed us with his knuckleball, holding opponents to a .154 batting average. Last Aug. 30, Zink came one out away from a no-hitter.

All of this success came in only Zink's first year of throwing the knuckler.

What could the Hadlock crowds expect in 2004? The answer appears to be a struggle.

Zink was 1-8 for the Sea Dogs with a 5.79 ERA. He leads the Eastern League in walks (72). Zink's difficulties were highlighted Thursday, allowing five runs in three innings in an 11-2 loss to Trenton.

On Friday, Zink was sent back to Sarasota.

"We need to get him there because maybe he was putting too much pressure on himself," Sea Dogs Manager Ron Johnson said.

"Here's a guy who came out of obscurity and created a name for himself last year. He came up last year and dominated.

"He's had innings where his stuff has been really good, but the consistency of inning to inning to inning has not been there. It was time to stop the bleeding, get him fixed, and then get him back here."

Well, it looks like they haven't given up on him. I'll try and see when he starts next for Sarasota.

Zink got ripped in his first start

4.2 IP 5 ER's

The official line was.

4.2 innings pitched, 5 hits, 5 runs, 3 earned runs, 4 walks, 1 K, 5.79 ERA.

There were 2 errors in the game, one by Zink and one by the catcher. The leadoff man got on base 3 of the 5 innings Zink started - 2 by walks.

Not too impressive. I wish I could see him pitch, I have no idea how he looks. Maybe a first pitch fastball for a strike, then mix in the knuckler. Or vice versa, maybe that would help. I also wonder if maybe the umps are a little thrown off by the knuckler (wishfull thinking)... maybe Zen knows more.

All-Star
    No, he's all over the place. I watched him pitch in Portland (on NESN). Sometimes, the thing would be over the hitter's head and didn't have the traditional downward movement. Other times, it would be in the dirt before the plate. He has no control over that thing.

Zenny's prediction is looking right, Zink's ERA climbs to 6.52 and a 0-2 record.

Zink's ERA is down a run to 5.34