Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damon turned down a bigger offer?

Damon turned down a bigger offer?

From the Post:

"I contacted the Yankees and Boston and told them we were getting close and we needed to move forward," agent Scott Boras said. "Cash called me back and gave me a couple of proposals. He gave me a proposal for five years and a proposal for four years and for a couple of hours we had on-and-off discussions. Boston called back, but it wasn't about Johnny, it was about something else. We moved forward with the Yankees. Johnny made a decision on the four-year proposal and that finished it off."

Cashman refused to comment until after the physical is complete, but several Yankee sources said a five-year offer wasn't made. According to Boras, Damon left money on the table from another club to play for the Yankees. "Johnny didn't take the best financial deal," the agent said.

Wonder who had a better deal out there...had to be the Orioles<_<

Re: Damon turned down a bigger offer?

That makes it even worse, if its true.

From Boston Herald:

In an interview on WEEI-AM late yesterday afternoon, Damon claimed that the Yankees initially offered a five-year deal but that it was whittled down to a four-year offer with a higher annual average value. Damon also said that there was another team in the mix that had made a six-year offer. After calling an unspecified Red Sox official Tuesday morning, followed by an afternoon call to manager Terry Francona, Damon said that by 8 p.m., he felt that the Red Sox were not going to budge and it was time to accept the Yankees’ offer

www.soxprospects.com

that 6 yr offer most likely was scott boras's typical mystery team which is the same team he said varitek had a 5 yr offer from last yr. i don't buy damon had another offer on the table. that is a typical boras ploy.

Evil Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by jsinger121 View Post
    that 6 yr offer most likely was scott boras's typical mystery team which is the same team he said varitek had a 5 yr offer from last yr. i don't buy damon had another offer on the table. that is a typical boras ploy.
    Thats hwat I think. I didnt believe him when he said that he had a 6 year deal on the table.

Yeah, he's trying to make himself look innocent instead of him slapping us in the face and going to the Yanks. He's trying to make it sound liek it wasn't about money, BS. i wish we had more players like Andy Pettite, of whom rejected a ridiculously high offer from the Sox when he was an FA, and without hesitation refused it because "I couldn't do that to the fans, and my teammates".
    "Right now, somewhere in New York, an eight-year-old kid is wondering if the Yankees will win a championship in his lifetime" - (Updated version of) Bill Simmons

a couple days before Damon signed, the orioles were reportedly about to offer a 5-6 year deal to him

when asked about the bigger offer he got, he said he wanted to play for a contender. So the Orioles were most likely it, unless a team like the tigers jumped in

So not only did Johnny completely stab every Red Sox fan in the back ... but he also did it for a lesser deal?

... dick

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

am I the only one who is convinced the mystery team was the Blue Jays??

Quote Originally Posted by He Hate Me View Post
    am I the only one who is convinced the mystery team was the Blue Jays??
    Well...they have Vernon Wells...

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Reasons to Hate Us View Post
    Well...they have Vernon Wells...
    put him in left then

Quote Originally Posted by He Hate Me View Post
    put him in left then
    maybe they ran out of money?

The exchange rate has to be killin them:blink:

Quote Originally Posted by Beckett95 View Post
    a couple days before Damon signed, the orioles were reportedly about to offer a 5-6 year deal to him
    Yeah sure, and he was about to be knighted by the Queen of England. Try to distinguish BS from fact.

www.soxprospects.com

there is no mystery team. its a scott boras tactic that he uses with all his clients. he makes other teams think there is another team out there when there is really not. i highly doubt damon had a 6 yr deal on the table from any team.

Super Moderator

Most of us knew that. I'm pretty sure we were joking around about teh Blue Jays, hence their ridiculous big spending this off-season, but I'm not good at telling sarcasm over the interweb.