Born: January 7, 1984
    Puyallup, WA
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 200
    Bats: Left
    Throws: Left
    Drafted: 2nd Round, 2002
    How Acquired: Draft
    High School: Bellarmine College Prepatory (San Jose, CA)
    ETA: late 2006

Scouting Report: Very athletic lefty - fastball reaches low 90's, with an above-average change-up, along with a curveball that is slowly improving. Has an easy delivery motion which has helped him to a fantastic sophomore season. While he may be one of the top pitching prospects in the organization, he still only currently projects as a third starter.

This year he's 4-3 with a 4.12 ERA and 47 strikeouts.

All-Star
    Lester's ERA as a starter is actually 2.17. He pitched in relief in one of BK Kim's rehab outings and gave up 10 runs without getting an out, so he's really only given up 11 earned runs in 45.2 innings. Since he's not a reliever, that can basically be thrown out. Glad to see he's healthy again as he was just activated off the DL two days ago.

haha, BK gave him some bad karma lol

In his first rehab start he pitched a scoreless inning on Friday. His next start is scheduled for Wednesday.

Jon Lester was hit by a line drive in his first game coming back to Sarasota and was forced to leave the game.

Lester was almost sent to Texas in teh A-Rod deal.

Glad to see he's still around, and hope he does well!

Please update on his injury situation whenever there are updates!
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"
    Chris Farley (Tommy Callahan)

Hey, I'm back. The latest update I've had on Lester is that he's been back from his injury and that he had 6 K's on July 5th sorry I don't have any more recent or detailed updates. His next start is scheduled for Friday.

Jon Lester may be interesting to watch throughout July. With the Red Sox in persuit of 2004 upgrades, Lester may be a casualty.
    "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass by sticking your head up there, but wouldn't you rather take his word for it?"
    Chris Farley (Tommy Callahan)

Here's some more stuff I found about Lester from the Sarasota website. Just some interesting tidbits.

Jon's favorite player growing up was Ken Griffey Jr. He like Iranian food and the color blue. His most memorable moment was in high school when he threw a 19K no-hitter. Jon's biggest accomplishment was being named WA's Gatorade Player of the Year in 2002. He likes to fish, hunt, golf, play cards, and play computer games. If he wasn't playing professional baseball, he would be attending a university.

Jon is 4-4 with a 3.88 ERA in 12 games (11 starts) and has 54 strikeouts in 48.2 innings this year.

Jon pitched 4 innings tonight against Lakeland. He gave up 4 hits, 3 runs and 2 walks and struck out 5. He picked up his 5th loss of the season.

Jon pitched against Palm Beach on Thursday. He gave up 2 runs in the 1st and shut them out the rest of the way. He went 5 innings with 3 hits and 2 walks, while giving up 2 runs and striking out 5. He had a no decision.

Jon pitched Wednesday against Lakeland. He went 5 innings and gave up 4 hits 2 runs 2 walks and had 4 strikeouts. He picked up his 5th win of the season.

All-Star
    Lester has been hitting 96 on the gun this year. If he stays away from major arm injuries, he's Eddie Guardado at worst. He could be something special if his arm holds up.

What's with Theo Epstein and his refusal to promote pitchers, I think Papelpon, and Lester should be in Portland by this year. We don't really have prospects in Double and Triple A. (Shoppach, Ramriez, and Alvarez are it) we need these guys in Double A.
    Quote Originally Posted by ORS
    I know they will. At some point in your life, you'll grow up and quit pulling stupid shit like this. Then, the world will be a better place. Unfortunately, somebody else will turn 12 and start doing the same thing. It's a vicious cycle.

To be honest with you, I'd rather have slow progression and full development than having players rushed through the minors before they can "blossom" so to speak. It would be a shame to spoil possibly wonderful careers by thrusting kids (I say kids, even though they're older than I am) aren't ready for higher level action yet, or are borderline ready.