Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "A True Hall Of Famer In Every Sense Of The Word"

Super Moderator

Re: "A True Hall Of Famer In Every Sense Of The Word"

I'm a strong believer that the HoF is ONLY about on-field performance. It's to recognize a great player, not a good guy. I believe Pete Rose should be in the HoF, if you must ask.

If Bonds or one of these fakeass roiders get in and Rose doesn't, I'll be pissed. Betting on baseball is different than cheating.

Yes, Rose should be in.
    2007 World Series Champs
    Quote Originally Posted by rician blast;306386;
    Regardless of Ellsbury being, as you put it, the "pride enjoy" and the FO being "prowd" of Buch...

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith1229 View Post
    If Bonds or one of these fakeass roiders get in and Rose doesn't, I'll be pissed. Betting on baseball is different than cheating.

Yes, Rose should be in.
    Well prepare yourself to get pissed because Pete Rose won't be in the HOF until he dies, and I'm sure atleast one of the people under the cloud of the "steroid era" will get in before that.

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
    Well prepare yourself to get pissed because Pete Rose won't be in the HOF until he dies, and I'm sure atleast one of the people under the cloud of the "steroid era" will get in before that.
    Probably Bonds. I don't think McGwire, Sammy or Raffy is getting in. I just don't see it happening.

This is my rifle....

McGwire gets in, IMO. He (according to him) was using androstenedione at the time of his record. That is on the books as an illegal steriod now, but it was legal at the time. Hell, I used a bottle of it when I was in the Marines. He won't get in on the first ballot for two reasons. One, he is part of the steroid controversy and he didn't help himself with his "I'm not here to talk about the past" comment to Congress. Two, the biggest reason, his first chance is next year when Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn are also eligible for the first time. There is no way the sportswriters put him in the Hall with those two uber-squeeky-clean baseball legends. Mac gets in before his 6th ballot, IMO.

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat View Post
    McGwire gets in, IMO. He (according to him) was using androstenedione at the time of his record. That is on the books as an illegal steriod now, but it was legal at the time. Hell, I used a bottle of it when I was in the Marines. He won't get in on the first ballot for two reasons. One, he is part of the steroid controversy and he didn't help himself with his "I'm not here to talk about the past" comment to Congress. Two, the biggest reason, his first chance is next year when Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn are also eligible for the first time. There is no way the sportswriters put him in the Hall with those two uber-squeeky-clean baseball legends. Mac gets in before his 6th ballot, IMO.
    I understand the argument, but if it was really like that, McGwire wouldn't have been at the hearing to talk about the future and not the past. Obviously, he felt he was cheating, and still did it anyway. For me, it casts a shadow on his entire career even though I think he was a really skinny guy when he hit 52 as a rookie. It just annoys me cuz I got no clue when he started using, and tehrefore don't know how much of his HRs are steroids manufactured and which aren't. Let's say he hits 400 HRs or 450, do you think he gets in with his other numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat View Post

I agree...I think Mac will get in, but not first ballot. One huge reason I think BigMac could get in over Bonds was his relationship with the media. You're right, McGwire's Congress testimony was horrible, and there's no doubt in my mind that it was an indirect admission of guilt, but people from this era are still going to get in. Like it or not, they're not just going to have a black hole of 15 years where no guys get in...and the people that have the votes are the media and the sportswriters. And I think that McGwire's relationship with them makes him a frontrunner over Bonds.

McGwire is widely regarded as a good guy. I think that he cheated the game, which I'm deadset against, but when you compare him next to a guy like Bonds who cheated the game aaaaaand is a huge asshole to the people that are going to hold the ultimate votes, I'd say it's McGwire that gets in.

It sucks that a bunch of HOF inductions are going to come down to the lesser of two evils.

I can't wait for the Gwynn/Ripken Jr. ceremony, it's going to be the last 100% legit, 100% not debatable one we see for a while...

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by HeadOfSoxNation View Post
    I agree...I think Mac will get in, but not first ballot. One huge reason I think BigMac could get in over Bonds was his relationship with the media. You're right, McGwire's Congress testimony was horrible, and there's no doubt in my mind that it was an indirect admission of guilt, but people from this era are still going to get in. Like it or not, they're not just going to have a black hole of 15 years where no guys get in...and the people that have the votes are the media and the sportswriters. And I think that McGwire's relationship with them makes him a frontrunner over Bonds.

McGwire is widely regarded as a good guy. I think that he cheated the game, which I'm deadset against, but when you compare him next to a guy like Bonds who cheated the game aaaaaand is a huge asshole to the people that are going to hold the ultimate votes, I'd say it's McGwire that gets in.

It sucks that a bunch of HOF inductions are going to come down to the lesser of two evils.

I can't wait for the Gwynn/Ripken Jr. ceremony, it's going to be the last 100% legit, 100% not debatable one we see for a while...
    If McGwire does get in, I can already see the crocodile tears while he gives his speech about how he is sorry for doing something that he is ashamed about. Giambi will be coaching him through the entire speech through an earpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by He Hate Me View Post
    If McGwire does get in, I can already see the crocodile tears while he gives his speech about how he is sorry for doing something that he is ashamed about. Giambi will be coaching him through the entire speech through an earpiece.
    With the main point of Giambi's coaching being "Make sure you appologize, loooooads of times, but never EVER say what you're appologizing for."

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by HeadOfSoxNation View Post
    With the main point of Giambi's coaching being "Make sure you appologize, loooooads of times, but never EVER say what you're appologizing for."
    Mac: I'm not here to apologize about the present or the future, I'm here to apologize for the past.

Giambi: No man, don't give them anything! Not even a timeline

Mac: uh I'm here to apologize for apologizing about the past