Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bronson Arroyo vs. Byung-Hyun Kim

Originally posted by Tek04@Apr 6 2004, 08:47 PM
    Id take Bronson becauses hes had some experience in the majors and didnt do bad at all...BK scares me way to much on the mound
    Why does Kim scare you?

He has a 3.24 career ERA and a 1.16 WHIP, damn decent if you ask me. The main problem with him, looking at his stats, is that his performance sucks when there are runners in scoring position, which he often had as a closer.

In Fenway part he has 36 strikeouts in 39 innings with a mid 3 ERA. Thats GREAT from a 5th starter. His k/9 innings alone is enough to show you that he has potential.

Plus the fact that he's 25 and has already shown such promise is encouraging to me. Bronson on the other hand has pitched 204 innings with a 5.15 ERA, compared to Kim's 402 with a 3.24 ERA. He has twice the experience, and almost twice the performance ERA wise.

Did Bronson pitch well last year? Sure he did, but in 6 games. 6 games is hardly enough to judge someone. I'd like to see him come out of the bullpen a little bit more to see if he can permanently be a starter, but for now I want kim. (But he's on the DL right now, so it'll be Bronson for a while). We'll see how he does though, I'm certainly not upset with Bronson pitching.

Major Leaguer
    If hes not throwing strikes that night..then watch out...he'll start hitting every guy on the other team

several of you have mentioned that kim is no good under pressure and that is a fairly good assement at least to date of kim. now when you are on a team that will be dissappointed with anything less than a world series there is added pressure on everyone. yes even the 5th starter. as the 5th starter you are expected to win just like everyone else. talent wise kim may be better but i say give brunson the nod. then we can ship kim off to a team with less expectations and he will most likely succeed. i say the perfect fit is to send him to texas for soriano. they need young affordable pitching and we could use some infield power with nomar hurt and possibly gone next year. and just think of the look on george's face if we get soriano.

Arod was traded for soriano. If we trade kim for soriano, isnt that like trading kim for arod? Sounds like an unlikely deal to me. Texas won't trade soriano, and if they do, it will take a lot more than kim.

yes a-rod was trades for soriano but that was a payroll move. their have been several swirling rumors about texas trying to turn soriano into pitching. maybe we have to throw in a class 2a pitching prospect on top of kim but from what i hear it wouldnt be much more than that... assuming hicks will still deal with boston.

I would trade BK + for Soriano in a second. I'm sure the Rangers want to deal him, cuz he isn't exactly cheap either, and they'd probably take young pitching happily.
    I have no sig. Sue me.

Originally posted by Gertie@Apr 9 2004, 06:49 PM
    I would trade BK + for Soriano in a second. I'm sure the Rangers want to deal him, cuz he isn't exactly cheap either, and they'd probably take young pitching happily.
    Soriano: $5.4 million in 2004 (http://rangers.siegler.net/roster/soriano.html)
    Kim: $3.5 million in 2004 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=6237)

Kim isnt exactly cheap either, and Soriano isnt exactly being paid his weight in gold. (actually, maybe he is, but he isnt being paid a lot for the kind of player he is)