Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: April 4th @ Texas

April 4th @ Texas

had to get this done now because I can't do it in school, I have practice after, and i wanted to bring back my super cool game thread...plus I CAN NOT WAIT!!!

Go Sox!

Game Info
    Date: Tuesday, April 4th, 2005
    First Pitch: 8:05pm ET
    TV: NESN
    Starting Pitchers:

#44 Vincente Padilla (0-0, 0.00)
    #49 Tim Wakefield (0-0, 0.00)

Wakefield will try to wrangle Rangers

Boston (1-0) at Texas (0-1), 8:05 p.m. ET

From Curt Schilling's heat to Tim Wakefield's knuckleball. The Red Sox hope the latter will be enough to fluster the Rangers just as much on Tuesday as Schilling did in Monday's Opening Day victory.

The ageless Wakefield, just four months shy of his 40th birthday, kicks off season No. 12 in a Boston uniform.

If last year was any indication, Wakefield (16 wins, 225 1/3 innings) still has plenty left in his tank. Red Sox manager Terry Francona likes the idea of Wakefield's soft serves being stuck between the high-octane gas of Schilling and Josh Beckett.

But strategy isn't the only reason Wakefield is the second pitcher out of the chute for Boston.

"I think Wake deserved to pitch second," said Francona. "He won 16 games, he's been an anchor on this staff. At the same time, I saw no drawback to splitting them up and having Beckett pitch third."

The Rangers counter with Vicente Padilla, who is making his debut in the American League this season. The Red Sox, after scoring seven runs in the opener, will try to make the adjustment as difficult as possible for the right-hander.

Pitching matchup
    BOS: RHP Tim Wakefield (16-12, 4.15 ERA in 2005)
    The veteran knuckleballer enters his 12th season in a Boston uniform. Last season was one of his best, as he led the team in wins, innings pitched and strikeouts.

TEX: RHP Vicente Padilla (9-12, 4.71 ERA in 2005)
    Padilla gets his introduction to life in the American League by facing one of the most potent offenses in the game. In his career, Padilla is 5-6 with a 5.48 ERA against AL competition.

Player to watch
    Superstar slugger David Ortiz will try to maintain his hot bat after ripping three hits, including a two-run homer, on Monday.

Up next:
    • Wednesday: Red Sox (Josh Beckett, 15-8, 3.38 ERA in 2005) at Rangers (Kameron Loe, 9-6, 3.42 ERA), 8:05 p.m. ET
    • Friday: Red Sox (Matt Clement, 13-6, 4.57 ERA in 2005) at Orioles (Daniel Cabrera, 10-13, 4.52 ERA), 7:05 p.m. ET
    • Saturday: Red Sox (Curt Schilling, 1-0, 2.57 ERA) at Orioles (Bruce Chen, 13-10, 3.83 ERA in 2005), 4:35 p.m. ET

Re: April 4th @ Texas

Since this was made so early I'll lock it until tomorrow when discussion of today's game is done with.

Time to get back down to reality guys. Yesterday's win was a gem for all of us but we need to keep the momentum going and come home with at least a winning record for our Home Opener. We need Wakefield to go out there and give us seven solid innings and have the bullpen ready to close it out. Seven more runs today would do a lot to make us winners two days in a row and that is what we need to make certain we get off to the good start all of us were wishing for.

Fenway Resident

May Wake's knuckler be mighty and swift. He'll need it as his career stats and lineup matchups against Texas arent all that bright. We're behind you Wake, and Im sure the Sox bats will be tonight.

Vicente Padilla (2 games vs. Boston, 0-1 record with a 15.00 ERA---1st career appearance at Ameriquest Field)
    Coco Crisp --
    Mark Loretta, 5 for 14 (.357 avg) Double, HR, 3 RBIs, 2 Ks
    David Ortiz, 1 for 2 (.500 avg) Double, RBI
    Manny Ramirez, 1 for 2 (.500 avg) K
    Trot Nixon, 1 for 2 (.500 avg) Double, RBI, K
    Mike Lowell, 6 for 27 (.222 avg) 3 Doubles, 6 RBIs, 2 Walks, 2 Ks
    Kevin Youkilis --
    Josh Bard --
    Alex Gonzalez, 3 for 20 (.150 avg) 2 HRs, 4 RBIs, Walk, 4 Ks
    Alex Cora, 6 for 13 (.472 avg) 2 Ks
    Wily Mo Pena, 0 for 2, Walk, K, SB
    J.T. Snow, 3 for 16 (.188 avg) 2 Doubles, HR, RBI, 2 Walks, K
    Jason Varitek, 1 for 2 (.500 avg) Double, RBI, K

Tim Wakefield (26 games vs. Texas, 7-12 record & 4 saves with a 5.95 ERA---Career at Ameriquest Field in 14 games, 4-9 record with a 5.40 ERA)
    Brad Wilkerson, 1 for 2 (.500 avg) Walk
    Michael Young, 6 for 24 (.250 avg) Double, HR, 4 RBIs, 2 Walks, 4 Ks
    Mark Teixeira, 4 for 20 (.200 avg) HR, 2 RBIs, 5 Ks
    Phil Nevin, 6 for 16 (.375 avg) Double, 2 HRs, 5 RBIs, 2 Walks, 5 Ks
    Hank Blalock, 6 for 22 (.273 avg) 2 Doubles, 2 RBIs, Walk, 3 Ks
    Kevin Mench, 5 for 14 (.357 avg) 2 Doubles, HR, 4 RBIs, Walk, 2 Ks
    Laynce Nix, 4 for 12 (.333 avg) 2 Doubles, 2 RBIs, 2 Ks
    Rod Barajas, 4 for 12 (.333 avg) HR, 3 RBIs, 3 Ks

Ian Kinsler --
    Mark DeRosa, 0 for 1
    D'Angelo Jimenez, 0 for 2, Walk, SB
    Gerald Laird, 0 for 3, K
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Can't go into this game with a mindset of were going to rock Vincente because of his line, just gotta do it. He's got a no-no in his career, so he does have some stuff.
    I don't ever wanna see the Red and Blues again. :blink:

Super Moderator

Well, I think Wake will get a good grip on that knuckleball down in Texas. I like the thinking here too. Throw off the Rangers, who happen to be a very good fastball hitting team, with the slow knuckleballer between Schilling and Beckett. They'll have to adjust. If Wake has good command tonight, and the bats continue like yesterday with the likes of Gonzalez and Lowell doing their solid jobs, we'll be 2-0 by the end of the night. Go Sox!

Question: Again, why was this thread made so early? Hah, just because you can't make it doesn't mean you always have to start a gamethread. Whatever though, it's all good.

Let's get number 2 tonight Wakey.

Jeter Jeter peter eater RedSoxRooter's Avatar

i'm still hungover from yesterday. uhhh

I dunno guys. Arlington is a homerun ballpark and wake tends to give up a lot of fly balls with his knuckle ball. It's not too humid/hot down there today, so it'll probably end up being a crap shoot if wake pitches well.

This is my rifle....

I have feelin Wake will come up huuuge this season, I mean he was our anchor last eason and seems to get better with age. Also, even if we lose todayw e got Beckett tomorow, I mean whats not to like about that?
    "Right now, somewhere in New York, an eight-year-old kid is wondering if the Yankees will win a championship in his lifetime" - (Updated version of) Bill Simmons

Last year I went to the game in Arlington when Wakefield pitched, and he pitched well:

8 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 5/1 K/BB, 1 HR

If Wake could hold the Rangers to four runs again over eight innings, I like our shots against Padilla. Let's Go Sox!

I think Wake will pitch a good game, although i am a little worried about him giving up the long ball in arlington. I also think we will hammer Padilla, as we did last year the only time we faced him!
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

All-Star

Wakefield will pitch a good game as long as he has control of his pitches if he doesn't watch out because the hit parade will start. Hoping he will continue what he did last year and as long as the bats are alive while he pitches I don't see why he wouldn't be able to.
    1903,1912,1915,1916,2004,2007 World Series Champions

Fenway Resident

Wakefield did end spring training as the best starting pitcher in the grapefruit league games, allowing 5 runs in 19 innings while striking out 14. Obviously the communication has been automatic with Josh Bard catching for him, so I'm optimisitic they can carry some of that from the past month.
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Your lineup expert is back again for another year.

Red Sox

Crisp CF (I swear I was almost ready to type Damon there)
    Loretta 2B
    Ortiz DH
    Ramirez LF
    Nixon RF
    Lowell 3B
    Cora SS
    Youkilis 1B
    Bard C

Rangers
    Wilkerson LF
    Young SS
    Teixeira 1B