Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: #5 Starter

All-Star

Re: #5 Starter

When it comes to the number 5 guys Lester is a possibility but they can't rush him into starting. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox go out and try and make a deal for a number 5 guy. There's no way the Sox will convert Papelbon into a starter with the way he has been closing games he's been too lights out and Foulke may be better than he was but he still isn't closer ready. I can't see Papelbon starting this year. If he was to start it would most likely be next year.
    1903,1912,1915,1916,2004,2007 World Series Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crunchy View Post
    if thats the case with alvarez its time to fish or cut bait
    is he a serviceable pitcher or not?
    his name is never mentioned in trade discussions and hes been in or around pawtucket for 3 years
    we know what lenny brings to the table we shouldve given abe the same chance
    anyways
    its moot with the fatman back,heres hoping hes got 170 innings left
    He is back... but for how long? I think Wells will find out his weight is going to hurt he knees more then he thinks, and i think he will be done this season. I will be shocked if he pitches more thena couple starts.
    WAR... The National League
    WAR... Lenny "retardo" Dinardo
    WAR... Alex Gonzalez and his .288 OBP
    Hey- Check out my Blog

I say bring up Abe 5-0 2.18 ERA
    ...and God ....May the Red Sox win the Pennant

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Red_Sox_Fan View Post
    I say bring up Abe 5-0 2.18 ERA
    ...a litte slow there? He pitched yesterday...it didn't go so well.

Sure... out of the Pen with 2 weeks off. 5.0 2.18 era as a starter... which is how we should value him, not as a RP with 2 weeks off.
    WAR... The National League
    WAR... Lenny "retardo" Dinardo
    WAR... Alex Gonzalez and his .288 OBP
    Hey- Check out my Blog

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Sure... out of the Pen with 2 weeks off. 5.0 2.18 era as a starter... which is how we should value him, not as a RP with 2 weeks off.
    I agree the odds were against him and he did get out of a tough jam in the beginning. Perhaps he deserves another shot but if David Wells can pitch well....then what? I still think the one pitcher in the minors who should be on the Red Sox is Manny Delcarmen. He can clearly dominate the minors and improved with every game he had with the Red Sox.

manny had some decent innings with us last summer as well
    wells is the question at hand
    can he give us 150 innings for the rest of the year
    if so this conversation doesnt matter
    if not?
    in my opinion we need to determine who's ready
    alvarez doesnt get a lot of league wide respect,why not make him worth something by showcasing him for the rest of the league??
    either he can or he cant....he isnt worth shit beating up columbus and ottowa while in pawtucket

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crunchy View Post
    manny had some decent innings with us last summer as well
    wells is the question at hand
    can he give us 150 innings for the rest of the year
    if so this conversation doesnt matter
    if not?
    in my opinion we need to determine who's ready
    alvarez doesnt get a lot of league wide respect,why not make him worth something by showcasing him for the rest of the league??
    either he can or he cant....he isnt worth shit beating up columbus and ottowa while in pawtucket
    I was actually thinking the same thing. Perhaps the Red Sox are showcasing Alvarez and Delcarmen for potential trades this summer. Adam Stern was another player along with Van Buren.

I don't know how much value Alvarez will have given he is blind in one eye and throws in the low 80s. Alvarez has to be in the majors next year becaues his options are up so they are probably wanting to see if he's worth hanging onto next year.
    2004 World Series Champions

abes got 1 eye?
    wow
    the mans a gamer
    lefties get special treatment,heres hoping he develops an out pitch and can make a living in the big boy show

we need to give him a legit shot at the rotation not just one or 2 relief outing...he does us no good being the AAA pitcher of the year...i think he will never have trade value...if he is good enough to be our #5 started then great lets keep him...but if he isnt good enough then we will have to dump him for NOTHING because nobody is going to want a blind soft throwing pitcher that cant make it in the bigs!!!

im hoping we either trade for 1 or use Lester.

id like

Roger
    Schilling
    Beckett
    Wake
    Lester

Clement sucks and needs to go and Wells is most likely done for the season.

Double A

I think that the Sox should shy away from the big names when it comes to the trading deadline. The Marlins will be asking insane deals for Willis, and the A's will be too for Zito. I think the Sox should start getting in contact with the Twins for Brad Radke. Although Radke is having a really tough season so far, I believe a change of ballparks will bring him back to his 4.00 ERA level and he'd make a good five starter.

Another option could be the Giant's Jason Schmidt.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rbreg7 View Post
    I think that the Sox should shy away from the big names when it comes to the trading deadline. The Marlins will be asking insane deals for Willis, and the A's will be too for Zito. I think the Sox should start getting in contact with the Twins for Brad Radke. Although Radke is having a really tough season so far, I believe a change of ballparks will bring him back to his 4.00 ERA level and he'd make a good five starter.

Another option could be the Giant's Jason Schmidt.
    I basically agree with that, although I don't like the Radke idea. If we can hold until the Giants fall out of contention, a deal with one of our RFs, JT Snow and a prospect might get us Schmidt
    Remember the Faith. Zc

Double A

Brad Radke's stats in Fenway Park, year-by year.

2001: 1-0, 7 IP, 3.86 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, .296 BAA
    2004: 1-0, 6.2 IP, 4.05 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, .286 BAA
    2005: 0-0, 7 IP, 3.86 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, .240 BAA

A very small sample size, but not bad numbers in three starts.