Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mr. 2000

Re: Mr. 2000

Quote Originally Posted by RedRuffing15 View Post
    Yea, but the next next youngest would have, so he still can
    He still can sure, but I doubt he'll get 1000 more hits in his career. Even if he plays like 10 more years, he'd just barely miss because you have to think he only have a limited number of truly productive years left in him.

Quote Originally Posted by thewarriorscode12 View Post
    He still can sure, but I doubt he'll get 1000 more hits in his career. Even if he plays like 10 more years, he'd just barely miss because you have to think he only have a limited number of truly productive years left in him.
    well if he plays 10 more years, then he'll get 3,000. But I don't see him playing till hes 42, or even maybe 37;38 at that, thats why I'm not sure, but I do think he can pass gehrig for the Yankees all time(I think its like 2722)

well if he plays 10 more years, then he'll get 3,000. But I don't see him playing till hes 42, or even maybe 37;38 at that, thats why I'm not sure, but I do think he can pass gehrig for the Yankees all time(I think its like 2722)
    Hmm I think he has a good shot to pass Gehrig, but I think 3000 is a bit out there.

Evil Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    But none ever got to 3,000.
    Point?

Double A

Jeter is thirty-two, so if he plays until he is thirty-eight, we'll say..

He'll need to average about 167 hits a season. So far in his career he has averaged 206 a season. I think he could go it.
    Bregg

TalkSox Hall of Fame
    1936 Class Nominations Due!

Quote Originally Posted by 26 to 6 View Post
    Point?
    The point is that being the youngest Yankee to get to 2,000 is not an indicator of future milestones, because no Yankee ever got to 3,000.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

The point is that being the youngest Yankee to get to 2,000 is not an indicator of future milestones, because no Yankee ever got to 3,000.
    I agree fully.

but..being the youngest Yankee means he got to the milestone faster than anyone else who was not able to reach 3,000 and that he is now in the best position of any other yankee player ever to get to 3,000 becuase he hit rate is highest.

but..being the youngest Yankee means he got to the milestone faster than anyone else who was not able to reach 3,000 and that he is now in the best position of any other yankee player ever to get to 3,000 becuase he hit rate is highest.
    I can't argu that, but it would mean much more if another Yankee had gotten to 3,000 hits.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Agreed, at the end of the day it comes down to health and how long the player wants to play. Look at Lou Gehrig. He would have gotten to 3000 hits. Don Mattingly finished with only 2153 hits. If he doesnt have that cronic back injury who knows how many hits he gets.
    Jeter has been healthy for most of his entire career, if he stays healthy and plays untill hes 38 or 39 I think he gets there.
    Gabe Kapler is full of heart and determination:
    http://nomaas.org/images/kaplerftl.gif
    :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderTheGreat13 View Post
    Agreed, at the end of the day it comes down to health and how long the player wants to play. Look at Lou Gehrig. He would have gotten to 3000 hits. Don Mattingly finished with only 2153 hits. If he doesnt have that cronic back injury who knows how many hits he gets.
    Jeter has been healthy for most of his entire career, if he stays healthy and plays untill hes 38 or 39 I think he gets there.
    With Jeter there are some additional considerations beyond his health. As a SS will he be able to hold down the SS position until age 37 or 38. If he ages out of the position, does he move to 3rd? ARod is already there. Do they move him 1B? He is a good offensive player, but he doesn't have the kind of pop that you look for from a first baseman. He has always been a top of the order hitter, partly because of his speed. Will he be a viable top of the order hitter at 38? He doesn't have middle of the order pop.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderTheGreat13 View Post
    Well Jeter is a shortstop, I doubt he can productively hold down that spot until 38 or 39, so they'll have to move him. But where would they move him. As has been noted, A-Rod holds down 3rd base, and I'm not sure Jeter could play 1st. He could DH, but at 38 will he really have enough pop left in the bat to justify that spot?

If that was to happen, he could always Ruben Sierra or Frank Thomas it, move to DH/Spot Fielder, I'm sure Bernie and Giambi will have well passed on their playing days by then

Quote Originally Posted by thewarriorscode12 View Post
    Well Jeter is a shortstop, I doubt he can productively hold down that spot until 38 or 39, so they'll have to move him. But where would they move him. As has been noted, A-Rod holds down 3rd base, and I'm not sure Jeter could play 1st. He could DH, but at 38 will he really have enough pop left in the bat to justify that spot?
    idk, Bernie is(kinda) holding the fort even now, at 37, hes on track for maybe 130-150(?) Hits, and his lifetime average is 185, so with Jeters being 206, even a quarter of a fall off would still on register for a nessisary, say, 6,7 more years. Health Pending

With Jeter there are some additional considerations beyond his health. As a SS will he be able to hold down the SS position until age 37 or 38. If he ages out of the position, does he move to 3rd? ARod is already there. Do they move him 1B? He is a good offensive player, but he doesn't have the kind of pop that you look for from a first baseman. He has always been a top of the order hitter, partly because of his speed. Will he be a viable top of the order hitter at 38? He doesn't have middle of the order pop.
    You bring up some good points. I look at Jeter and I think he can be a productive player at SS for awhile. For arguments sake lets say his defensive skills erode at age 36. The Yankees can then maybe split him at 1B and DH almost like they do with Bernie right now(except he plays the OF and Bernie really doesnt have the pop for a corner OF anyway.). Maybe by that time you move A-Rod back to SS and move Jeter to 3rd. There are alot of options. I heard this somewhere and I'm gonna have to do the math but if he gets 150 hits per year untill hes 38 he will get to 3000 hits. IMO he can get that done.
    Gabe Kapler is full of heart and determination:
    http://nomaas.org/images/kaplerftl.gif
    :lol: