2 12.50%
  • c-nomar

3 18.75%
  • d- tek

5 31.25%
  • e-williamson

0 0%

Thread: derek lowe

how can the sox give kim 5 mil a yr. and than low ball lowe . has anyone heard what they offered him . in my eyes lowe has earned around 10 mil per

Originally posted by scrappydog@Apr 4 2004, 04:39 PM
    how can the sox give kim 5 mil a yr. and than low ball lowe . has anyone heard what they offered him . in my eyes lowe has earned around 10 mil per
    I don't believe they made a serious attempt to re-sign anybody this Spring. They are waiting to see how each does:

Derek Lowe - If last year's ERA was a blip, and if he can return more to 2002 form. Boras client.

Pedro Martinez - See how healthy and effective he is without a blazing heater.

Jason Varitek - Boras client.

Nomar Garciappara - Health, issues with management.

David Ortiz - Fluke or not?

"Boras client" says it all. That money grubbing bastard. I voted Pedro though.

And I'm not sure what you meant by "put in order" since you can only vote once, and not put anything in order.

I picked Pedro as well.

i picked pedro but would rather see nomah
    BostonSportsTalkForum <- Check it out

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base.&quot;
    -Dave Barry

I&#39;d rather see them all. Pedro and Nomar should eventually have their numbers retired. Won&#39;t happen if they don&#39;t stay on the team longer.

In my heart I say nomar, as he is probably my favorite player on the team now, but after what happened during the offseason, I doubt he&#39;ll want to sign.

Triple A
    I said Pedro, but I&#39;m split between him and Varitek - he&#39;s the only good free agent catcher on the market. A starting pitcher is much easier to replace than a quality catcher.

All-Star
    I said Varitek for one reason: He&#39;s the heart and soul of the Sox, the main leader on the field. They COULD not resign him (we have Kelly Shoppach and Andy Dominique in the minors) and probably be fine (in terms of production). But I personally couldn&#39;t picture the sox without Tek. Actually, I couldn&#39;t picture the sox without any of them. Hmmm. I think the answer to all our problems is the death of Scott Boras.

I think the Sox can deal with Pedro and Lowe leaving. After all, they always can just sign another or something. Nomar, they could also deal with, if Hanley ever grows up. But Varitek... Shoppach won&#39;t be ready for a while, and I agree with CalvinHobs: Tek is the heart and soul of the team.
    I have no sig. Sue me.

gotta sign Lowe first, but I wouldn&#39;t want them to be signing anyone until we see how these guys look this year. If Lowe&#39;s like he was at home last year, we can&#39;t let him go... if ortiz&#39; year wasn&#39;t an aberation, he&#39;s a great player... ditto with millar. if pedro pitches like he has so far tonight, then it&#39;ll be interesting to see what happens with him.

Originally posted by QuitHatingManny@Apr 4 2004, 08:13 PM
    If Pedro pitches like he has so far tonight, then it&#39;ll be interesting to see what happens with him.
    What&#39;s wrong with a quality start? They gave him 1 run and left how many men on-base?

I thought it was actually a pretty good start considering how terrible Pedro had been in ST and how wild he was to start the game. I also thought he could&#39;ve pitched the 7th without a problem.

thats the thin the sox never score runs wen pedro pitches, ok they do but not as many as they get other pitchers
    BostonSportsTalkForum <- Check it out

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base.&quot;
    -Dave Barry

Originally posted by Benny9Sox7@Apr 4 2004, 11:57 PM
    thats the thin the sox never score runs wen pedro pitches, ok they do but not as many as they get other pitchers
    That used to be a problem, but in recent years (especially last year) they&#39;ve improved on that.

regardless, we all know what pedro&#39;s capable of. assuming he puts up maybe 15 wins, 2.50 - 3.00 era, which he should minimum, he probably will get resigned, and has acknowleged that he will probably have to take a pay cut.
    I have no sig. Sue me.