Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: July 2nd @ Florida

www.soxprospects.com

July 2nd @ Florida

Starting this one early as I am going to Watercountry tomorrow and did not want to forget in the morning. Mods feel free to add the game preview to this post if I don't get to it in the morning.

Game Info:
    Date: Friday, July 2nd, 2006
    First Pitch: 1:00pm EST
    TV: NESN

Starting Pitchers:

Jon Lester 3-0 2.95

v.s.

Josh Johnson 7-4 2.20

Game Preview

The Boston Red Sox and Florida Marlins close out their three-game series on Sunday sending two of their strongest rookies to the mound, as both pitchers look for their fourth consecutive win.

Josh Johnson (7-4, 2.20 ERA) began the season in the bullpen for the Marlins (35-42), where he was 1-2 with a 3.86 ERA in seven appearances. As a starter, though, the rookie right-hander has been dominant, holding opponents to two or fewer runs in eight of his 10 starts and shutting out his opponents on three occasions.

"He's been great, unbelievable," Marlins manager Joe Girardi said. "He's a strong young man and he throws hard. He throws strikes and throws them down in the zone. That's why he's been so good."

After beginning June with his second straight loss, the 22-year-old right-hander has won his last three starts, the latest on Monday against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Johnson pitched 6 2-3 innings, giving up three runs -- two in the first inning -- while walking one and striking out five in the 8-5 win.

"(I felt) pretty good, at times I was a little off. It was a rough first inning," said Johnson, who was pitching on eight days' rest. "The team came back and picked up two more runs to pick me up. That helps out a lot the rest of the game."

That offense failed to provide much help on Saturday for Florida starter Brian Moehler, who lasted just 2-3 of an inning before leaving the game with a sprained right foot. He gave up three runs and three hits while walking two batters. The Marlins placed him on the 15-day disabled list Saturday night.

Rookie reliever Anibal Sanchez was then touched for three home runs over 4 1-3 innings, as the Red Sox jumped out to an 11-1 lead in the sixth inning en route to an 11-5 victory.

Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz each homered twice and combined to drive in nine runs. Ramirez's three-run homer in the first inning was his 2,000th career hit.

"Those two guys in the middle, something special," Girardi said. "They beat us."

The win was the 13th in the last 14 games for the Red Sox (49-29), who will hand the ball to Jon Lester (3-0, 2.95) on Sunday to close the series. Lester won his third straight start on Tuesday against the New York Mets.

The 22-year-old left-hander pitched five innings and gave up two runs in the 9-4 win. He struggled with his control, hitting and walking a batter with the bases loaded in the fifth inning, but then struck out David Wright to escape further damage.

"He stayed out of a big inning and then we were able to respond offensively," Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek said. "That was key. He did an excellent job of doing it. It was outstanding for him."

Lester has given up just four runs in his last three games, striking out 20 during that span. However, he has yet to pitch beyond the sixth inning.

Saturday's win improved Boston to 15-2 in interleague play this season.

Fenway Resident

Re: July 2nd @ Florida

Its setting up to be one of those rare rookie pitcher duels

Josh Johnson (1st career appearance vs Boston---Career at Dolphins Stadium in 12 games, 5-1 record with a 2.31 ERA)
    Jon Lester (1st career appearance vs Florida)
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Yeah this one is gonna be good. Riverside's post count: 6969

Jeter Jeter peter eater RedSoxRooter's Avatar

Just win.

Banned

This should be a fun as hell game to watch. I'm excited for this one.
    I am the biggest spaz of all time

This is my rifle....

Jimi likes the mojo. It, like him, is a mysterious and powerful force of the supernatural.

Well, I'm a voodoo chile
    Lord I'm a voodoo chile
    Well, the night I was born
    Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red
    The night I was born
    I swear the moon turned a fire red
    Well my poor mother cried out 'lord, the gypsy was right!'
    And I seen her fell down right dead

Where has the rivernator been?

All-Star

not only is it a rookie pitcher matchup, it is two friggin sweet rookies. These are two possible stars of the future, great matchup
    Remember the Faith. Zc

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyballgame10 View Post
    Where has the rivernator been?
    Banned for a couple weeks.

All-Star

Announced on WEEI that Lowell and Gonzo won’t be starting.

All-Star

we got Youk playing 3rd, Cora at short, Youk back at leadoff
    Remember the Faith. Zc

Red Sox

Youkilis 3B
    Loretta 2B
    Ortiz 1B
    Ramirez LF
    Nixon RF
    Varitek C
    Crisp CF
    Cora SS
    Lester P

Marlins

Ramirez SS
    Uggla 2B
    Cabrera 3B
    Willingham LF
    Helms 1B
    Olivo C
    Borchard RF
    Abercrombie CF
    Johnson P

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by yeszir View Post
    Too bad the thread didn’t see more activity, a game where Pedro beat Halladay.

Link to Box Score and Play-By-Play

Banned

Thats depth when you can sit your starting 3rd and SS and still put out a first rate line-up. Those are the kinds of substitutions I'm ok with. Sitting Manny in favor of Willie Harris just as Manny heats up... I don't see what Francona does in a move like that.

I <3 Alex Cora
    I am the biggest spaz of all time