Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yanks, Sox, or Dodgers: Which has had the most uneventful offseason?

Re: Yanks, Sox, or Dodgers: Which has had the most uneventful offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by BudLight;220459;
    Look at the bright side, with Drew gone now you only have one player in your line-up without testicles - Nomar.
    I appreciate Nomar and everything he brought to the Sox in the years he was here. He's still one of my favorite Sox of all time. I can't blame him for being disheartened when the FO treated him like they did. He gave his heart and soul to the team and, to my knowledge, was great in the community during his time in Boston. I met him at Spring Training a couple of times and couldn't have asked for a more cordial individual to the fans. I never wished him anything but luck previously, and that certainly continues on into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda;220363;
    Since JackassMarch said that Dodger fans were spending time here because their team has done nothing this offseason, I propose this question:

Yanks, Sox, or Dodgers: Which has had the most uneventful offseason?

I say other than Lidle flying his plane into a building and dumping Bernie and RJ, NYY hasn't done anything this offseason but sign Petitte. Mientkewicz? Please.

On the other hand, not many teams have done more than L.A. has since the WS ended. Re-signed Nomar, signed Pierre, Gonzo, Schmidt, Lieberthal, and closing in on Tsao.

Boston signed Drew, but then they didn't. But they signed Lugo and his lightbulb-shaped head, and they signed Matsuzaka and his technicolor dreamcoat.

Seems like once again, JackassMarch has no idea what he's talking about.
    Damn, you guys are badass. Signing Lieberthal and Gonzalez will make your team fucking sick. Just make sure Nomar doesn't stub his toe, and you guys are set.
    2007 World Series Champs
    Quote Originally Posted by rician blast;306386;
    Regardless of Ellsbury being, as you put it, the "pride enjoy" and the FO being "prowd" of Buch...

Quote Originally Posted by HeadOfSoxNation;220509;
    I appreciate Nomar and everything he brought to the Sox in the years he was here. He's still one of my favorite Sox of all time. I can't blame him for being disheartened when the FO treated him like they did. He gave his heart and soul to the team and, to my knowledge, was great in the community during his time in Boston. I met him at Spring Training a couple of times and couldn't have asked for a more cordial individual to the fans. I never wished him anything but luck previously, and that certainly continues on into the future.
    Yeah, the FO treated him really badly by offering him a contract in the Spring of 2004 for 4 years at $15 million per year.

I liked Nomar a lot too but it was time for him to go. I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by VA Sox Fan;220517;
    Yeah, the FO treated him really badly by offering him a contract in the Spring of 2004 for 4 years at $15 million per year.

I liked Nomar a lot too but it was time for him to go. I wish him well.
    Taking a guy who symbolizes the Sox, and has given his all to the Sox, and then having a tentative trade agreement in place for him is kind of a slap in the face. I think it was a huge mistake that the Nomar/Mags tentative deal ever got out. But, I think it was EXTREMELY commendable how cordial to the fans Nomar continued to be after that; realizing that he was the FO's second choice, but the first choice of the fans.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith1229;220512;
    Damn, you guys are badass. Signing Lieberthal and Gonzalez will make your team fucking sick. Just make sure Nomar doesn't stub his toe, and you guys are set.
    Watch what you say. Nomar will play more games than Drew this season.

Like that nasty little herpes sore, it just won't go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda;220534;
    Watch what you say. Nomar will play more games than Drew this season.
    Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but if you are going to start a topic like this, at least try to hide your insane amount of homerism.
    2007 World Series Champs
    Regardless of Ellsbury being, as you put it, the "pride enjoy" and the FO being "prowd" of Buch...

Banned

The only reason I started this thread is in response to JackassMarch's comments at the end of the locked Dodgers Suck thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HeadOfSoxNation;220525;
    Taking a guy who symbolizes the Sox, and has given his all to the Sox, and then having a tentative trade agreement in place for him is kind of a slap in the face. I think it was a huge mistake that the Nomar/Mags tentative deal ever got out. But, I think it was EXTREMELY commendable how cordial to the fans Nomar continued to be after that; realizing that he was the FO's second choice, but the first choice of the fans.

Can you refresh my memory on the Mags deal?

I cried when Nomar was traded (I'm a chick, so don't laugh). Hind sight is 20-20. I think we all remember the NYY/Red Sox game, July 24, 2004 (A-Fraud/Tek fight, Sox won on a Mueller walk off, off of Mo). Every Sox player is standing at the rail of the dug out, Nomar is sitting on the bench kind of pouting. He was traded a week or so later. He was unhappy in Boston and it was time to go.

I'm not questioning the man's character, contributions to the community, kindness to the fans. He is a class guy. He seems very happy now.

Quote Originally Posted by VA Sox Fan;220544;
    Can you refresh my memory on the Mags deal?

I cried when Nomar was traded (I'm a chick, so don't laugh). Hind sight is 20-20. I think we all remember the NYY/Red Sox game, July 24, 2004 (A-Fraud/Tek fight, Sox won on a Mueller walk off, off of Mo). Every Sox player is standing at the rail of the dug out, Nomar is sitting on the bench kind of pouting. He was traded a week or so later. He was unhappy in Boston and it was time to go.

I'm not questioning the man's character, contributions to the community, kindness to the fans. He is a class guy. He seems very happy now.
    I believe it was something like Manny for A-Rod and Nomar for Mags.
    2007 World Series Champs

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crunchy;220471 View Post
    the dodgers have a nice team
    they may even win 90games in the potent nl west
    goddam that rockie team is good and with the padres and san fran AND arizona??
    it may be the lowest scoring division since the dead ball era of the teens
    The division will be a two-team race between SD and LA. You know, sort of what the AL East was 7 of the last 8 years?
    Gil Hodges for the HOF

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith1229;220548;
    I believe it was something like Manny for A-Rod and Nomar for Mags.
    I don't recall. But that doesn't mean anything......I need some brain cells back! :lol:

Major Leaguer

i dunno, im not sold on abreu just yet... he played well in the short time he was in pinstripes, but now he'll be there for the whole season in which he will have high expectations to live up to...the same expectations he failed to meet in philly on a consistent basis throughout the season. lets see how long the honeymoon lasts in ny for him.

what concerns me about pettitte was the lack of a market for him after the season....i mean houston didnt even really try to keep him (houston would rather have clemens back instead of pettitte), not to mention he also has been fighting to keep healthy the last couple of seasons...you wanna talk about the dodgers overpaying for juan pierre, at least he's not at the tail end of his career, and in the right lineup can really produce offensively. furthermore, what alot of people overlook re: pierre is that we didnt sign him leadoff, that is already addressed in furcal, he will be used as a more complimentary player to move furcal into scoring position as well as setting the table for the other hitters in the lineup. if you have a problem with the amount of money he signed for....excuse me but were you hibernating this offseason when average players like gary mathews jr., et al., were signed to $10 million dollar a year contracts!? agree or disagree, but its what the current market is for FA.
    "Think for yourself.
    Question authority."
    -Timothy Leary

You're not sold on Bobby Abreu? Who are you sold on?

Major Leaguer

What's not to like:

.330 BA, .419 OBP, .507 SLG, .926 OPS in his short tenure with the Yankees last year. His career numbers nearly mirror those: .302BA, .412, OBP, .507 SLG, .919 OPS.