Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Bard

Deity

Re: Daniel Bard

Quote Originally Posted by ksushi;249630;
    Wow, already down on a guy who just started his minor league career.
    I'm not THAT down on him. I understood the pick as a hit-or-miss gamble on a guy who could hit 100mph but who had poor control. I watched the guy pitch against Oregon State in the WS finals last year and he had good but not anything close to MLB stuff.

His walk totals have only increased, which tells me that the sox have likely tried to retool his mechanics and that, so far at least, it isn't working. He has a lot of potential but he's not off to a very good start for a hall of fame career.

Quote Originally Posted by example1;263174;
    I'm not THAT down on him. I understood the pick as a hit-or-miss gamble on a guy who could hit 100mph but who had poor control. I watched the guy pitch against Oregon State in the WS finals last year and he had good but not anything close to MLB stuff.

His walk totals have only increased, which tells me that the sox have likely tried to retool his mechanics and that, so far at least, it isn't working. He has a lot of potential but he's not off to a very good start for a hall of fame career.
    Give him time. I think Bard could still be very good. If they retooled his mechanics, you need to give him a yr. Look at Alan Horne. He came out of college as a high risk, high reward guy. They retooled his mechanics and his walk totals soared to 1 every 2 innings in his first minor league season. This season, he has cut his walk totals in half and has seen a huge rise in his K rate. Bard is that kind of guy. If they fixed his mechanics this yr, next yr will be his biggest yr.

All-Star

Not surprised this is happening to the kid though, even watching him in the CWS last year you could see that he had nasty stuff for the college level. He didn't have nasty stuff at the major league level of baseball or even the minors for that matter. Seems like his command and control are off a bit but I mean we have to cut this kid some slack it's his first year he will get better and he will be an amazing pitcher.
    1903,1912,1915,1916,2004,2007 World Series Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Ray10;263452;
    Not surprised this is happening to the kid though, even watching him in the CWS last year you could see that he had nasty stuff for the college level. He didn't have nasty stuff at the major league level of baseball or even the minors for that matter. Seems like his command and control are off a bit but I mean we have to cut this kid some slack it's his first year he will get better and he will be an amazing pitcher.
    The one thing to consider is that if he is lagging behind in secondary stuff, they may help him out by forcing a 2 seamer on him. That is what they did with Horne. Horne became a sinkerballer in his yr in High A in 2006 and it may have been the only reason he survived. This yr, his secondary stuff has re-arrived with his new motion and yet he still has that sinker. The sinker is a wondeful pitch. ANd all it is, is a fastball with a different grip.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;249560;
    any word on what his deal is? His line is amazingly bad.

5G 0-2 10.13ERA 13.1IP 21H 23R 15ER 22BB 9K

And consider that the sox took him before Joba Chamberlain who by all accounts is a MUCh better prospect and just had a solid start to his Tampa career after missing time with a hammy.
    He's another Theo BUST

surprising that you would consider a player in his first full minor league season a bust. Actually, it isnt surprising. You're an idiot. Next yr is his make or break season.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;263193;
    Give him time. I think Bard could still be very good. If they retooled his mechanics, you need to give him a yr. Look at Alan Horne. He came out of college as a high risk, high reward guy. They retooled his mechanics and his walk totals soared to 1 every 2 innings in his first minor league season. This season, he has cut his walk totals in half and has seen a huge rise in his K rate. Bard is that kind of guy. If they fixed his mechanics this yr, next yr will be his biggest yr.
    Of course I'm not writing off a guy who can throw that hard, that naturally. As long as he's hitting 99 I'm keeping my eyes on him. Sandy Koufax was notoriously wild for the first few years of his career, then he found it.

Quote Originally Posted by example1;263925;
    Of course I'm not writing off a guy who can throw that hard, that naturally. As long as he's hitting 99 I'm keeping my eyes on him. Sandy Koufax was notoriously wild for the first few years of his career, then he found it.
    I was never that high on this pick for a certain reason. His K rates in college were not that of a dominant pitcher. One would think with a 99 MPH fastball, he would be able to pile up the K's, especially against college opponents. That being said if he can discover comand and work on his secondary pitches he can probably be a solid big leauge pitcher one day.
    "Knicks suck, Jets suck, Yankees suck"

-Peter Griffin, talking to a New Yorker

Quote Originally Posted by MANNYHOF24;264027;
    I was never that high on this pick for a certain reason. His K rates in college were not that of a dominant pitcher. One would think with a 99 MPH fastball, he would be able to pile up the K's, especially against college opponents. That being said if he can discover comand and work on his secondary pitches he can probably be a solid big leauge pitcher one day.
    Bard didnt have one off speed pitch that was developed. All of his off speed stuff was a minus. His heat was his only plus pitch and the college kids knew it. Hence, he didnt K a lot of guys. This was a total projection pick.

The interesting thing is that Bard keeps getting compared to Brackman and I think they are missing comparisons that can be made and making some that are flat out wrong.

A: Both have command issues: This is a comparison that is correct. Brackman walked 34 in 78IP this season.

B: Both have undeveloped secondary stuff: This is not a strong comparison. Brackman also sports a plus curveball right now.

C: Both have endurance issues: Once again, not correct. Bard has thrown near or above 100IP for 3 straight seasons. Brackman on the other hand was splitting his time with basketball, missed his sophomore season due to a hip injury from basketball, and maxed out at 78IP this season.

So overall. Both lack great command. Brackman has the better secondary arsenal and Bard is more durable and has been stretched out longer.

Tonight: 5 IP, 2 hits, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K

would prefer to see some K's but 0 BBs is encouraging
    Quote Originally Posted by W.B. Mason View Post
    Did someone order...paperclips?

About time for a bump here, I think we have something here.

Another scoreless 2.2 with 3 K no BB

14.1 IP, 5 hits, 0 ER, 2 BB, 19 K on the season
    Quote Originally Posted by W.B. Mason View Post
    Did someone order...paperclips?

This is my rifle....

Nothing left to prove there. He needs to be promoted. Whether it be to Lancaster and the challenge of hitter friendly environment or to Portland and the challenge of more polished hitters, he needs to be moved. My vote is to Portland.

So is he just a RP now, or are they still planning on him being a SP?

Send him to Portland. Lancaster has the ability to wreck a pitcher's confidence.

Bring him up! lol, just kidding, although I bet he still puts up better numbers than Timlin right now.....