Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Red Sox minor league notes.

Major Leaguer

2007 Red Sox minor league notes.

Like I posted on the GCL thread the 2007 short season for the Red Sox it was a very important day, it was the profesional debut for Dominican bonus babies Engel Beltre and Oscar Tejada, but was also the first game in US soil for Venezuelan Victor Galue and Dominican Arbert Jimemez. in Lowell Dominican Short Stop Yamaico Navarro also played his first game in the United State.

In Lowell on Wednesday 2007 first rounder Caleb Clay made his profesional debut and former outfielder Dominican Willy Mota made his debut as a pitcher. In the GCL Dominican Pedro Perez was the Sox starting pitcher also playing in his first game in the U.S.

Major Leaguer

Re: 2007 Red Sox minor league notes.

The Red Sox brass under the direction of Craig Shipley keeps protecting the Australians, players Like LHP Adam Blackley. Blackley hasn't pitched well in his five years in the Sox system and now is in the Low Lowell and not pitching very well, however the red Sox has let go Nicaraguan LHP Mario Pena. Pena has had better result than Blackley. I understand that Pena isn't a great prospect but a better prospect than Blackley. This philosophy of over protecting Australian prospect isn't only unfair but bad development procedure.

Major Leaguer

Jimmy James and Scott Blue who didn't pitch in 2006 and only four games in 2005 because Shoulder issues pitched on Friday with different results. The Venezuelan James who according baseball America was the 20th best prospect in 2004 pitched for Lowell with 5 IP 2 H and 0 R, on the other hand Blue who was the Sox fifth round pick in 2005 pitched in the GCL 1 IP 2 H 2 ER 2 BB 1 K.

Seadogs won 17-2 last night. Lowrie was 4-6 with a double and a HR
    Quote Originally Posted by W.B. Mason View Post
    Did someone order...paperclips?

Brad Correll is raking in Lancaster. In 24 ABs on the season for High-A Lancaster hes batting .333/.360/1.250/1.610 with 8 hits, 7 of which are HRs

Major Leaguer

Correll is a 26 yrs who just got signed from the Independent leagues, old for the league and the Parl (lancaster and the California league) is helping him out, not much of a prospect.

Major Leaguer

At the end of the 2006 GCL season there was some questions of who was the better prospect between Venezuelan LHP Felix Doubront and Dominican LHP Jose Capellon. Doubront made the Greenville roster but because he had hernia surgery over the Winter missed almost the first month and half and when he started pitching in Greenville has been a shadow of the pitcher that he was in the 2005 VSL and 2006 GCL if he's healthy there has to be a lot of concerns. Capellan on the other hand stayed in extended Springt raining until he was the openning game starter for lowell and in his first two starts has been very good, it may not be until the end of the season where we may get a better picture.

Major Leaguer

According to BA the Sox have released catcher Levi Tapia. The Sox haven't had much sucess with hitting prospects from the Rocky mountain area.

Talking about the early phase of International signing period, Luis Sumoza who was a bonus baby out of Venezuela this time in 2004 and had so-so seasons with VSL in 2005 and with GCL in 2006 its having a good start repeating the GCL in 2007.

Josh Reddick in his first pro season for Single-A Greenville is putting up very impressive numbers. .345/.392/.545/.937

Major Leaguer

Sometimes the Red Sox player development philosophy leaves anyone scratching their head, one of them is having Travis Beazley and Josh Papelbon pitching in Low A Greenville, I am talking about a pair of 24 yrs pitching in Low a ball when there's a lot younger pitchers pitching in the ML. Beazly and Papelbon have very VERY limeted pitching talent and are taking away inning way from a lot more talented pitchers who needs the innings to develop.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by scaffolds;273983;
    Sometimes the Red Sox player development philosophy leaves anyone scratching their head, one of them is having Travis Beazley and Josh Papelbon pitching in Low A Greenville, I am talking about a pair of 24 yrs pitching in Low a ball when there's a lot younger pitchers pitching in the ML. Beazly and Papelbon have very VERY limeted pitching talent and are taking away inning way from a lot more talented pitchers who needs the innings to develop.
    I don't know either of these guys very well. Should they be at a higher level, or released altogether?

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by example1;273987;
    I don't know either of these guys very well. Should they be at a higher level, or released altogether?
    Talent wise they both should be released, however I doubt that the younger Papelbon will be until the organization don't have to, he was drafted as a courtesy to his older brother but again has very little profesional talent.

Quote Originally Posted by scaffolds;274017;
    Talent wise they both should be released, however I doubt that the younger Papelbon will be until the organization don't have to, he was drafted as a courtesy to his older brother but again has very little profesional talent.
    So let me get this straight. Papelbon, who has a 3.43 ERA with 11 saves in Greenville, and Travis Beazley, who has excllent control demonstrated by a 92/12 K/BB ratio should be released. I understand these aren't top tier prospects, but released?

Yet you flipped out when Mario Pena was released, berating the Red Sox FO. Mario Pena's Lancaster stats: 12.21 ERA, 0 Ks, 6 BBs, 2.36 WHIP. And you sing the praises of Manny Arambarris, who is in his 6th year in the organization hasn't made it out of Low A Ball, and has the emptiest batting average in the organization?

On other sites, you've played up the MLB potential of players like Richard Santana, Heriberto Guzman, Luis Segovia, Moises Santa, Roberto Sosa, only to name a few. You flipped out when they were released and nobody else picked them up. You've been touting Miguel Socolovich for years, who now has a 6.94 ERA in Lowell after putting up a 6.65 ERA in Greenville. Yet you've constantly criticized players like Ryan Colvin, Jed Lowrie, Dustin Pedroia, and Kevin Youkilis.

I'd love to hear you explain your scouting theories here and tell everyone that racism doesn't come into play. I've been lurking over here for a while, I wonder if the good people at this site deserve an explanation as to the basis of your opinions, or whether they should just take your scouting of Latin players v. white players with a grain of salt.

Double A

In any organization, the majority of players on any minor league affiliate's roster are there to "play catch" with the real prospects. I see no problem having effective organizational players on any roster, since I've never seen 23 real prospects on any minor league roster.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by abefromen;274393;
    I'd love to hear you explain your scouting theories here and tell everyone that racism doesn't come into play. I've been lurking over here for a while, I wonder if the good people at this site deserve an explanation as to the basis of your opinions, or whether they should just take your scouting of Latin players v. white players with a grain of salt.
    I've got to say, I've noticed this as well. I don't make the circuit, so I can't speak of a long history in this trend as Scaff's contributions here seem fairly limited, but the preference has become apparent even in limited posts.