Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Shut Up, Red Sox Nation"

Re: "Shut Up, Red Sox Nation"

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;288358;
    A new stadium? Both the Rams and Raiders would have stayed if luxury boxes were added to the Colesium.
    STFU. You have no idea what you are talking about. THE RAMS DIDN'T PLAY IN THE COLISEUM. They played in Angel Stadium, which isn't really even Los Angeles, although the Angels owner thinks otherwise. :lol:

Read below for my take on the Raiders' situation at the Coliseum.

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;288358;
    As far as the source of the public funds for state support, it has little to do with public intelligence if you won't support it. These things pay for themselves with the revenues that can be raised through leases with the pro teams and other events, and that's without considering the economic impact of all the supporting businesses in the area. There are a myriad of ways the funding can be achieved with little to no impact to John Q. Public. In Orlando they have some nominal tourism tax for hotels, rentals, and theme parks. It's paying for renovations to the Citrus Bowl and a new Magic arena. Let's see, where else does Disney have attractions in the US? Let me get back to you.
    Again, why don't you educate yourself on the LA situation before spouting off?

LA has a huge tourism industry. Raising taxes on that would be stupid.

If the LA Kings' owner can build an arena with his own funds, then lease it out to the Lakers and Clippers, with none of the costs for building the stadium coming from taxpayers, then why can't a football owner do the same?

For one, the NFL thinks the Coliseum is a viable stadium, which it is not. First, it's located in one of the shittiest areas of Los Angeles. There isn't much room for development in the area, because it's adjacent to museums and USC, with very few businesses there. In fact, the Los Angeles Sports Arena is also right there, and the Clippers moved out of it into the Staples Center. Second, the cost to upgrade it is not far from the cost to simply build a new stadium. Third, Los Angeles' demographics have changed with most of the new population growth coming from East and South of LA (Inland Empire, Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange County). If LA can have just one team, putting that team in downtown LA doesn't make much sense. Land is much cheaper elsewhere, and closer to the population.

The Raiders left LA not because of the Coliseum, but because Al Davis figured that by moving back to Oakland he would essentially own TV rights in two major markets: The SF Bay area and Los Angeles. The Chargers are the closest team to L.A., yet every week we get the Raider game on TV. The Raiders and NFL consider the L.A. market property of the Raiders. The rumor about Al Davis moving the team because he didn't want to have to pay for luxury boxes in the Coliseum is only partially true, and was used as an excuse to move the team.

I am not aware of the reasons why Frontiere moved the Rams to St. Louis, but I realy never cared because they were the Orange County team. Times have changed though, and for much of the greater LA area, Anaheim is a quicker drive than Downtown L.A. I live closer to L.A. than Anaheim, but because the the freeway system, I can get to Anaheim faster. For this reason, and the logistics I mentioned earlier, there is a growing interest in building a new stadium adjacent to Angels Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;288495;
    Who said the stadium had to be in the City of LA? Or, if that is a requirement, who's to say LA County can't impose a tourism tax? Seems to be a popular travel destination. I mean, we are constantly reminded that the stadiums aren't full because there is so much to do there. Think a little.
    He said they should upgrade the Coliseum, which is in L.A. That stadium is old as dirt. It hosted the 1930 Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crunchy;288500;
    i am fairly educated as to why la doesnt have a team
    No, you're not.

its called non support hence the loss of 2 teams to backwater cesspools like oakland and st louis
    imagine losing out to oakland and st louis??
    its like your girl leaving you for the drooling kid with downs syndrome and his little brother with the hockey helmet on.
    you blame the govt but the last i read their are more millionaires in socal than the rest of the nation combined
    There is plenty of support in LA for a stadium. We had several bids at several locations, and lost out to Houston because the NFL insisted that LA upgrade the Coliseum, which would cost taxpayers. L.A. said no, team went to Houston.

they have the fucking rose bowl and they have the la coliseum each holding more than 30,000 more seats than foxboro holds.
    are construction or demolition permits that hard to come by??
    The Rose Bowl is in the middle of upper class Pasadena. They voted not to allow an NFL team to play there. Only UCLA plays in the Rose Bowl. The Galaxy was allowed to play there temporarily until the Home Depot Center was built in Carson (near Long Beach, south of L.A.). So basically, yes, permits are hard to come by.

it doesnt take an engineering degree to figure out why they sit empty on sunday
    foxboro was the worst stadium in history when the krafts bought the team on their own dime without a cent of public money going toward infrastructure
    joe robbie built his stadium on time under budget and it didnt cost dade or broward county a nickel
    it can be done
    its been done before and it will be done again
    That's all L.A. is asking for. A new stadium built by the owner. I don't care if it's an expansion team or a relocated team.

you just need the fans to come back
    and we know that aint happening
    Bullshit.

Deity

Quick question - who cares? On both subjects in this thread?

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by LUGOforMVP;288516;
    STFU. You have no idea what you are talking about. THE RAMS DIDN'T PLAY IN THE COLISEUM. They played in Angel Stadium, which isn't really even Los Angeles, although the Angels owner thinks otherwise.
    How about you eat nice big plate of dicks, know-it-all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_Rams

Edumacate yourself, nitwit.

I know where the Coliseum is, I was responding to the notion that Anaheim wouldn't play party to raising taxes for a new venue. Keyword "new".

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by LUGOforMVP;288516;
    LA has a huge tourism industry. Raising taxes on that would be stupid.
    Why would it be stupid? Orlando's economy is far more dependent on tourism dollars than LA's, and the imposed tax had zero impact on the number of people that came here. Hell, you wouldn't even have to call it a tourism tax. You could call it a clean air tax for all the extra people that contribute to the smog problem. It's a nominal amount. People would pay it without blinking an eye, and you'd have a football team.

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;288524;
    How about you eat nice big plate of dicks, know-it-all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_Rams

Edumacate yourself, nitwit.

I know where the Coliseum is, I was responding to the notion that Anaheim wouldn't play party to raising taxes for a new venue. Keyword "new".
    What's your point?

I know they played in the coliseum from the 40s to the late 70s. That has nothing to do with them leaving. At the time they left, and for several years before that, they played at Angel Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;288528;
    Why would it be stupid? Orlando's economy is far more dependent on tourism dollars than LA's, and the imposed tax had zero impact on the number of people that came here. Hell, you wouldn't even have to call it a tourism tax. You could call it a clean air tax for all the extra people that contribute to the smog problem. It's a nominal amount. People would pay it without blinking an eye, and you'd have a football team.
    I'm just gonna assume you are ignorant of the fact that LA already has several bed taxes and other hotel taxes. You're a fucking commie if you want to raise taxes to finance somethign that the private sector should pay for.

Makes a lot of sense, have the people that cannot afford to watch a game in the stadium pay for it.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by LUGOforMVP;288532;
    What's your point?

I know they played in the coliseum from the 40s to the late 70s. That has nothing to do with them leaving. At the time they left, and for several years before that, they played at Angel Stadium.
    Why did they go to Anaheim?

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by LUGOforMVP;288533;
    I'm just gonna assume you are ignorant of the fact that LA already has several bed taxes and other hotel taxes. You're a fucking commie if you want to raise taxes to finance somethign that the private sector should pay for.
    There is no "should" here. It's about leverage. The NFL is king in this country, and it's thriving without a team in LA. The NFL has the leverage.

If you want to talk about what "should" happen, then it's likely I agree with you, but that conversation requires a trip to fantasy land. I'd rather discuss the dynamics of the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;288539;
    Why did they go to Anaheim?

The NFL just started the blackout rule, and the Coliseum was too large to sellout at 100,000 seats. So they followed the demographics to ANA.

This is my rifle....

Nope, try again.

"[Carroll] Rosenbloom had long been bothered by the Coliseum Commission's apparent foot dragging on building luxury boxes at the Coliseum, which he saw as essential to future success. He broke off negotiations with the Commission and started to negotiate to play at Dodger Stadium, but Los Angeles Dodgers owner Walter O'Malley did not want a football team playing at Chavez Ravine. Rosenbloom was petitioned by Orange County Supervisor Ralph Clark, the founder of the Los Angeles Rams Booster Club, to move the team to Anaheim Stadium, the home of the California Angels. Clark convinced Angels owner Gene Autry to okay the remodeling of Anaheim Stadium to accommodate the Rams, expanding capacity to 68,000 and putting in seating appropriate to football. In 1980, the Rams moved to Anaheim from Los Angeles."

This pretty much sums up the current situation.

LA doesn't want to build luxury boxes in the Coliseum. Amazing how USC football can play in the Coliseum, selling 100000 seats every game, and they don't feel a need for luxury boxes.

The NFL does need Los Angeles. They are here constantly doing research. But they are hell-bent on the Coliseum, which no one in LA wants, save for some greedy Councilmembers.

This whole discussion came about because someone asked why LA has no football team, and your answer is because the NFL is stupid.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LUGOforMVP;288544;
    "[Carroll] Rosenbloom had long been bothered by the Coliseum Commission's apparent foot dragging on building luxury boxes at the Coliseum, which he saw as essential to future success. He broke off negotiations with the Commission and started to negotiate to play at Dodger Stadium, but Los Angeles Dodgers owner Walter O'Malley did not want a football team playing at Chavez Ravine. Rosenbloom was petitioned by Orange County Supervisor Ralph Clark, the founder of the Los Angeles Rams Booster Club, to move the team to Anaheim Stadium, the home of the California Angels. Clark convinced Angels owner Gene Autry to okay the remodeling of Anaheim Stadium to accommodate the Rams, expanding capacity to 68,000 and putting in seating appropriate to football. In 1980, the Rams moved to Anaheim from Los Angeles."

This pretty much sums up the current situation.

LA doesn't want to build luxury boxes in the Coliseum. Amazing how USC football can play in the Coliseum, selling 100000 seats every game, and they don't feel a need for luxury boxes.

The NFL does need Los Angeles. They are here constantly doing research. But they are hell-bent on the Coliseum, which no one in LA wants, save for some greedy Councilmembers.

This whole discussion came about because someone asked why LA has no football team, and your answer is because the NFL is stupid.
    It's failed twice already. Once it's failed twice there, no city deserves a third look. And the NFL doesn't need LA -- last I checked the NFL is doing quite alright without LA.