Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schilling in 2008.

Schilling in 2008.

With Schilling pitching as well as he did yesterday, it begs the question: Should the Red Sox bring Schilling back next season? It's a viable question. Health risks, age, etc. And yet he still seems to be effective. So should they? Or shouldn't they?
    gold bottles

Re: Schilling in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by .406;295328;
    With Schilling pitching as well as he did yesterday, it begs the question: Should the Red Sox bring Schilling back next season? It's a viable question. Health risks, age, etc. And yet he still seems to be effective. So should they? Or shouldn't they?
    Schilling, nothing but love and respect. He's been there always in the postseason and most of the time in the regular season.

But I don't think the Sox will be carrying him into 2008. If anything he won't get a contract deal, declare free agency, and go to a ball club that would take him because of his name, probably Tampa Bay.
    Treasurer of the Julio Lugo Fan Club

This is my rifle....

Tough call. I'd try and keep him on a series of one year deals. Nothing longer. That way, when the age catches up to him, you aren't on the hook. But, I'd definitely bring him back for another year.

And, can you stop pimping your shitty blog? If you want to come and discuss the team, I'm all for it. But, it seems like the only thing you post here is a link to your tripe. You have your own spot on the interweb, want a cookie?

I'd take him back on a 1 year deal but I doubt he'd take one.
    2007 World Series Champs
    Quote Originally Posted by rician blast;306386;
    Regardless of Ellsbury being, as you put it, the "pride enjoy" and the FO being "prowd" of Buch...

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheFaith1229;295336;
    I'd take him back on a 1 year deal but I doubt he'd take one.
    +1
    Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they hide is crucial. Aaron Levenstein

Schilling is an attention whore. If he continues his postseason effectiveness, he will ask for a contract due his level of whoredom. And there are plenty of teams that would oblige, most notably NL teams. I wouldnt be surprised if Philly comes calling to close the circle.

It is a tough call. If the Sox want to sign a pitcher their choices are Schilling and Colon. Personally, my preference is Colon. Younger and was throwing 95 in his final start.

If Buehrle or Zambrano was available, I'd have preferred to put the money towards a younger established arm. Most of the big name pitchers have re-signed with their teams. There is really no impact pitcher available on the FA market. Schilling will attract a lot of attention due to the lack of available pitchers. In the end, he will get more than the $13 million/year he was asking for in Spring Training. If he walks, we are left with Beckett, Dice K, and 3 question marks. We all love this kid Bucholz, but we really don't know if he is ready to hold down the third or fourth rotation spot for the entire season. Lester is a question mark, and Wakefield has been showing a tendency to break down the last two years with back problems. I think the Sox need to re-sign Schilling.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Technically, Schilling is just as big a ?? as Wake. And for the season, Wake was what he always is. A reliable, but not spectacular arm. You put innings eaters like Beckett and DiceK along with Wake and you could deal with the growing pains of the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;295350;
    Technically, Schilling is just as big a ?? as Wake. And for the season, Wake was what he always is. A reliable, but not spectacular arm. You put innings eaters like Beckett and DiceK along with Wake and you could deal with the growing pains of the kids.
    I'm not buying that one. The knuckleball is such an inconsistent pitch from game to game and inning to inning. There is no comparison.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by RobZombie;295346;
    It is a tough call. If the Sox want to sign a pitcher their choices are Schilling and Colon. Personally, my preference is Colon. Younger and was throwing 95 in his final start.
    Colon? Bartolo Colon? My god, no thank you. Sure he's younger, but Bobby Kielty is younger than Manny Ramirez.

In his last 2 seasons:

28 starts, 155 2/3 innings, 203 hits, 26 home runs, 7-13 WL, 5.90 ERA.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;295354;
    I'm not buying that one. The knuckleball is such an inconsistent pitch from game to game and inning to inning. There is no comparison.
    the knuckleball keeps him consistent yr to yr. Schilling may or may not continue to see his stuff drop and as we saw with Mussina, there is a level to which stuff decline takes you from being "crafty" to being shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;295356;
    the knuckleball keeps him consistent yr to yr. Schilling may or may not continue to see his stuff drop and as we saw with Mussina, there is a level to which stuff decline takes you from being "crafty" to being shitty.
    Regardless of the Wakefield -Schilling debate, there are three open spots after Becket and Dice K. There's room enough for both.

If there is a reason the front office should not bring back Curt Schilling it should be one reason and one reason only....

Clay Buchholz

However, I'm not worried about next season...Curt Schilling may be the greatest postseason pitcher ever and he has two more series to pad those stats. Big game pitchers are the best and he is certainly one of the best...I just wish he wouldn't talk so much.

Quote Originally Posted by SchillingIsTheNatural;295370;
    If there is a reason the front office should not bring back Curt Schilling it should be one reason and one reason only....

Clay Buchholz

However, I'm not worried about next season...Curt Schilling may be the greatest postseason pitcher ever and he has two more series to pad those stats. Big game pitchers are the best and he is certainly one of the best...I just wish he wouldn't talk so much.
    Assuming Bucholz can stay in the rotation all year with Becket and Dice K, Who are your other two starters?