Register now to remove this ad

Page 93 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4383919293
Results 1,381 to 1,388 of 1388

Thread: Johan Santana

Major Leaguer

Re: Johan Santana

I said he was going to The Mutts about 3 months ago. Seemed fairly obvious to me. Can't find those posts..but they are there.
    Life is crazy
    I know baby

Quote Originally Posted by 26 to 6;312952;
    How can you necessarily say that? The Mets haven't done shit this offseason with the exception of a handful of moves here or there. The Yanks brought back everybody, brought in a new charismatic manager, have a solid core of young talent, and lets not forget which NY team appeared in last years postseason. I can't look at this as a negative for the Yankees, because showing that restraint and failing to give in and ship out solid young guys i squite something when it comes to the Yankees. If all the the actions of the Yankees organization were motivated by the actions/outcome of the Mets and/or Red Sox then we would all be fucked. To an extent it was like that, but look where that got us....I think it's a win for the 3 east coast teams involved, and still a toss-up for the Twinkies.
    The Mets just filled their biggest need with the crown jewel of pitchers. The Yankees are what they were last year, but older. Also, thy have no #1 big game pitcher. Met fans will have the upper hand in NY, and Yankee fans will hate that.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Fenway Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Anuj09;312929;
    Wow this was a very week trade on the twins part. Id even go as far as to call it a steal for the mets if Carlos Gomez or Deolis Guerra don't pan out which could happen - Carlos Gomez had a tough time at the plate and i have heard/read that Guerra doesnt have a good breaking ball or other 2ndary pitches other than his hard fast ball.
    The Twins also got screwed by the Mets in the Luis Castillo trade, getting 2 low level crap prospects
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Fenway Resident

Once the Santana signing and Erik Bedard trade is actually completed, should be hearing about the fate of current top free agent starting pitchers Livan Hernandez and Kyle Lhose. Before the offseason kept hearing about how Lohse was supposed to get a Gil Meche type contract.
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Power, Pride, Pinstripes

wow i cant believe the Twins traded Santana for that package. The Sox and Yanks packages were FAR FAR superior.

Yanks had two major leaguers ont he table in Hughes and Cabrera. Sox had a pretty good ML lefty in Lester and a prospect in Howrie who from some accounts had as much potential as Gomez. Plus both Hughes and Lester are battle tested in the AL East while blah blah blah

ok I'm not even going to bother.

Someone needs to fire Bill Smith.

COMPLETELY overplayed his hand.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;307695;
    Kennedy>Lester.

Lester's career best WHIP was 1.15 in 2005 in AA. Other than that, he has been over 1.3 in his MiLB career. Over his major league career, he has made 25 starts, compiling a WHIP of 1.57 in that time. Over his MiLB career, he has compiled a WHIP of 1.31. Both are poor when considering the type of pitcher Lester is. I know a lot of people want to give him tons of credit in terms of his SR due to the cancer, and I love the guy for his determination, but lets be honest here. He's a high 80s-low 90s pitcher with shaky control. He allows a TON of baserunners and through nothing other than luck, he has avoided the major disaster. I expect his K rate to stay respectable, but if he continues to walk 4+ per 9IP, he will be burned.

Kennedy OTOH, is a full yr younger and doesnt have the health concerns that go along with Lester. He throws high 80s to low 90s, but is known as a total control freak. In his only minor league season, he walked 1 per 9 less than Lester did without giving up the hits that Lester did. Also, throughout all levels of the minors, Kennedy maintained a near 9K/9IP rate. Plus, his stellar debut in the majors also speaks to his ability. He doesnt have the breaking ball that Lester has, but Lester doesnt have the changeup or the fastball location that kennedy does. All told, Kennedy has a slight edge IMO which will grow if Lester doesnt consistently locate this upcoming yr.

lolwut

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by E1
    Furthermore, if he were to have a good season his trade value would be at least as high, if not higher, than it is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKilo;307717;
    Maybe. if he has a bad season, what then?

People saw his performance in the WS. What if he hits .260 next season?

Man, I am awesome.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by TheKilo;350333;
    Man, I am awesome.
    No need to trade him, is there? I think this team is in great shape and will have plenty of money to spend to keep their core together.

Let's talk in 3 years...