Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Tejada traded to Astros for 5 players.

All-Star

Tejada traded to Astros for 5 players.

According to the Baltimore Sun, the Astros have acquired Miguel Tejada from the Orioles for outfielder Luke Scott, pitchers Matt Albers, Troy Patton and Dennis Sarfate, and third baseman Michael Costanzo.

Five players for Tejada? It's an interesting group, but the only particularly valuable property is Patton, a left-hander whose stock has dropped a bit over the last year. He projects as a third or fourth starter, though he's not ready yet. Scott should start over Jay Payton in left field, at least against righties, but he may not be more than a one- or two-year solution. Albers has fourth-starter potential, but he belongs in the pen right now, as he's primarily a two-pitch pitcher. Sarfate, a waiver claim from the Brewers, emerged as a viable late-game relief candidate at the end of last season. However, he has a long history of command problems. Costanzo was the strikeout-prone third base prospect the Astros picked up from the Phillies in the Brad Lidge deal. Overall, we'd say the Orioles got back about what they should have. That said, they'd be fortunate if more than one player from this group was a key player next time they're in a position to win 85-90 games.

All-Star

Re: Tajada traded to Astros for 5 players.

OK I spelt his name wrong in the title - and not sure how to fix. Mods?

All-Star

Good move for the Astros, have only heard of one of those players.
    Politically Right Since 1986

Retroware TV
    Follow Me on Twitter!

This is a really good move for the Astros. Tejeda should hit a lot of homeruns to the short portch in leftfield. He is also still capable of hitting .320 and driving in over 100 runs. Their offense should be really good next season.
    "Knicks suck, Jets suck, Yankees suck"

-Peter Griffin, talking to a New Yorker

Good move for the stros, and gets him outta the AL East. (not that baltimore was much to worry about)
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

Legend

good, glad to see him out of the division

Does this mean he's not on the Mitchell Report? I believe baseball executives were given the list today, which means Tejada probably isn't on it. If he was, I doubt Houston would trade for him the day before it's released to the public.

I like it for the Orioles.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeessuck013;309493;
    Does this mean he's not on the Mitchell Report? I believe baseball executives were given the list today, which means Tejada probably isn't on it. If he was, I doubt Houston would trade for him the day before it's released to the public.
    I thought it was only MLB looking it over today

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox21;309496;
    I thought it was only MLB looking it over today
    lol, if Tejada is on it, then the Astros are fucking retarded. With that list coming out in a day, no one should be making any trades until they're sure that who they're getting isn't on that it.

Quote Originally Posted by das11209;309478;
    OK I spelt his name wrong in the title - and not sure how to fix. Mods?
    If you edit your original post, you can also edit the title of the thread since you started it.

Oh, and not being a bitch but it's offense not offence

Good for Miguel, we'll only see him for 3 games (June 27, 28 and 29th) as opposed to the usual 18-19.

Evil Emperor

Definately happy to get him out of the division, but I think the Astros are a little foolish to be making a move like this. Sending 5 players to Baltimore for a defensive downgrade who is on the decline still making a nice chunk of change... I expect him to put up some pretty nice nmbers there, but still a move I would have went without making if I were Purpura. It's no surprise though, the Astros have been mentioned with Tejada for like what, 3 seasons now? They were bound to get him eventually. I think it's a steal for the O's though, who get 5 young players to replenish their system with (probably 4, Scott will more than likely be on the big club) after 2-3 years of bad drafts.

Fenway Resident

Re: Tejada traded to Astros for 5 players.

Kudos to the Astros, they didnt have to give up any top prospects really for Tejada. A mega yankee killer has left the division
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by VA Sox Fan;309504;
    Oh, and not being a bitch but it's offense not offence
    depends if he's Canadian or American

Re: Tejada traded to Astros for 5 players.

Here is my analysis of the Big 4 guys being traded here:

Miguel Tejada is no longer a superstar. That's not to say that he isn't still a very good player. Despite a steady decline in HR, and a hefty decline in OPS and AVG from 06 to 07, there is still reason to believe that he is going to be very productive, despite moving to a less hitter's friendly park. I see a .300 or so average, with 20-25 home runs and a mid .800s OPS, along with very bad defense.

The players Baltimore get in return are exciting. First off, Luke Scott. He likely will have a starting role right out of the gate in left field. I like him a lot actually. In 2006 he broke out in 214 at bats with Houston, posting a .426 OBP with 10 home runs and a 1.047 OPS. He got more at bats in 2007, and of course his numbers declined, per law of averages. He still had a .351 OBP, 18 home runs and a .855 OPS in 369 at bats. I expect him to improve on those numbers in 2008. Watch for a high .800s OPS and around 20 home runs.

The 2 young pitchers the Orioles got are Troy Patton and Matt Albers. Patton has a low 90's fastball, an improved changeup and a hard curveball. His numbers in AA and AAA were slightly below his 2006 performance. He had a brief stint in the bigs, starting 2 of the 3 games he pitched in and allowing 5 ER in 12 2/3 IP. He isn't an ace in the making, his ceiling is a #2 starter.

As for Albers, he throws a mid 90s fastball, a hard breaker, and a progressing changeup. He pitched in 31 games in the big leagues in 2007, including 18 starts. Quite frankly, he was terrible. He had a 4-11 record, 5.86 ERA, 1.60 WHIP, and a 71/50 K/BB ratio. He has a #3 starter ceiling.

I'm not so sure that the Astros got the great deal here. I see Scott as a very productive corner outfielder. Patton can really help out the rotation, and Albers is a solid back end of the rotation kind of guy.