Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An Unfortunate Situation...

An Unfortunate Situation...

I'm sure there are questions about a Red Sox fan living in Texas... Let me assure you, I am no bandwagon, fair weather, member of the pink hat brigade. My situation is a very sad one. Let me explain.

My dad is a die hard yankees fan. He lived his whole life in Morristown, New Jersey before attending college in Boston (Bentley College), where he met my mom who lived her whole life in Hanover, MA. I was the first of 9 grandchildren to my grandfather (who lived his whole life without ever living outside of Massachusetts), who would be damned before any grandchild of his had anything to do with the yankees. For this reason, I will always consider him the greatest man who ever lived.

My dad didn't do too well during my birth. As a matter a fact, he fainted (typical yankees fan, but all joking aside I do love my Dad, he's the only one I have) towards the end of things. When things were finally settled down a bit, my grandfather was the first to see me. Luckily he had his red sox hat handy, and he took a polaroid of that hat as close to me as the nurses would allow, and set off to find my dad. You snooze you lose, as the saying goes.

I've been to Fenway more times than I could ever count, and since leaving Connecticut (where we lived while in New England), I have yet to miss one single Sox game when they are down playing the poor rangers (who have no fan base. Baseball is nothing to anyone in Texas, it's sad really).

My first Red Sox memory isn't a very detailed (or a very good) one. It happened when I was just 3 years old. We were staying with my grandparents for a visit, and my grandfather woke me up from my sleep because the Red Sox were about to win the World Series. Unfortunately, things didn't quite work out, and while I can't honestly say I remember watching the game (I was 3 after all), I do remember taking a VERY long walk down Winter Street in Hanover, MA as my Grandfather tried to get me back to sleep and sort out what he would do with himself.

When I was little my favorite player was Mike Greenwell, because his name reminded me of the Green Monster, and stuff like that matters when you don't know any better. It could have been worse, I could have chosen roger clemens.

My Grandfather died without ever seeing the Sox win it. He was Korean War disabled veteran and is buried in Cape Cod National Cemetary. My Aunt lives in Sandwich and went down to decorate his grave and his wife's grave with Red Sox stuff the day after they won it all in 2004. She said it was difficult to get to his grave because everyone else had the same idea, and people just cried together. She said it was one of the most emotional experiences she's ever had.

My reaction was tears of sadness. I'd love to say they were tears of joy that it finally happened, but I was sad I couldn't celebrate it with my Grandfather more than anything else. I was also sad because I think a large piece of me had decided I was going to die without seeing them win it as well, and for some strange reason, the realization that wasn't going to happen got to me. Strange... And there was guilt involved too. What made me so special that I got to witness it? But the life of a true Red Sox fan is one of suffering, so why should winning be any different?

Truth be told, I am not a big message board kind of guy. I am going to try this thing out, and see if I can't contribute anything to this community. Sorry this post got so long, but how can you describe what it is to be a BoSox fan without getting long? haha.

Take care!
    I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

Re: An Unfortunate Situation...

Great first post, and great user name! Welcome!

welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by W.B. Mason View Post
    Did someone order...paperclips?

Banned

Aside from the fact that his father let him be the victim of child abuse at the hands of his grandfather, it was a great post.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;314493;
    Aside from the fact that his father let him be the victim of child abuse at the hands of his grandfather, it was a great post.
    Point me in the direction of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco's Disciples;314506;
    Point me in the direction of this.
    I think what Gom meant was the fact the father allowed the grandfather to make him a Red Sox fan...

And welcome!

I have some what of a similar experience with my great uncle, he passed away before 2004 having never seeing it either. I just recently went back to his grave after this past World Series.
    Treasurer of the Julio Lugo Fan Club

I miss Sox fan in Tex

Welcome by the way.

Welcome. There are lots of strange roads to Red Sox Nation. All that matters now is that you love the Sawx. I can understand your sadness that your grandfather wasn't there to see 2004. One of the big joys for me was that my dad age 86 at the time (yes born in 1918, but after the baseball season) did live to see it. Right after the last out was recorded he called me. It was a special moment.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper;314507;
    I think what Gom meant was the fact the father allowed the grandfather to make him a Red Sox fan...

And welcome!

I have some what of a similar experience with my great uncle, he passed away before 2004 having never seeing it either. I just recently went back to his grave after this past World Series.
    Oh. That went right over my head. :dunno:

Thanks, everyone (except Gom, you and I might have a problem.... haha). Special Kudo's to Coco's Disciples who seems to know where my user name came from. haha. Greatness!

Welcome man
    "I've come to the conclusion that the two most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen." -Bob Lemon, 1981

Banned

In all seriousness, welcome.

Nice side story a700. Part of my reason for season tickets is I want my father to see a World Series clincher in person. My best baseball memory ever is [sorry Sox fans] watching the Boone game with my father and brother at the stadium on what happened to be my brother's birthday. It's a memory I'll never forget, and more so that we saw it together than the game itself. I just missed out, starting my season tickets in 2002. He's getting up there in age, not in good health, and only has a few more years at best, if that, so I understand where you're coming from.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

Gom, it would be nice if your father sees a clincher in person, but you'll have a better chance if you convert him to a Red Sox fan.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;314630;
    In all seriousness, welcome.

Nice side story a700. Part of my reason for season tickets is I want my father to see a World Series clincher in person. My best baseball memory ever is [sorry Sox fans] watching the Boone game with my father and brother at the stadium on what happened to be my brother's birthday. It's a memory I'll never forget, and more so that we saw it together than the game itself. I just missed out, starting my season tickets in 2002. He's getting up there in age, not in good health, and only has a few more years at best, if that, so I understand where you're coming from.
    In all seriousness, thank you! I will look forward to occasional witty banter between all the Sox fans (for all purposes we will call them "those with a special spot in Heaven waiting for them), and yankees fans (whom will be referred to as "those with a special spot in whatever is worse than hell"). hahahaha.

I've done some reading on this site, looks like they accept you Gom, not sure how that happened..... In either case, thanks for the welcome and I look forward to ya, especially when the yankees once again fall short of expectations and no longer have Joe to blame for their woes. hahaha.

Banned

Touche.