Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
That's fair however I think it is common with young players. Sometimes they get into a rut and make some mental mistakes and then try to hard which ends up costing them even more mistakes. Sometimes that is the price you pay putting in a young 20 year old player. They can have fantastic abilities but they are young and can make some bone headed errors. I don't blame people on the board for being frustrated with him however I don't think we should bench him and bring in someone else. It would be different if he was costing us wins and we were fighting for a wildcard spot but right now we are in the driver seat of the division and everyone seems to be getting it together offensively. I say leave it for the time being and don't shake things up too much especially with how we have been hitting the last few games.
I think sitting him down for a game or two due to repetitve mental base running mistakes is a good thing. Helps the team and in the long run (if he isn't stupid) it will help the player. it does no one any good if his ridiculous base running gaffs are overlooked and written off because he is young. Good teams understand the value of eliminating mental mistakes and at times a tougher approach has to be taken. No one is saying that he should lose his job but there is no way that what he has done should be ignored and written off as the result of aggressive baserunning. Aggressive and stupid just aren't the same thing.