Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton - U- B-Sox-GM

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I wouldn't trade Devers for Stanton.
    Neither would the Red Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Just say no to Stanton's contract. And having to give up prospects on top of it? No thanks.
    My sentiment as well. Giancarlo Stanton is 27 years old. The contract for the next 5 years, at $29.5 million/year as I understand it, is actually pretty good. The contract for the 5 years after that, covering his mid-30s, is a huge gamble. If he's still an offensive force, great. But chances are his skills diminish and the contract cripples the Red Sox. So if Stanton were just offered without anything returning in trade, the Sox should probably still say no. But to add prospects into the mix, it just makes it so much more likely the trade will not be in the Sox's favor.

That said, I would love to see him in a Sox uniform. But the only way to reduce the risk involved in this trade is to include David Price's contract. So, I would do Stanton for Price, but why would the Marlins? They want prospects.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Jeter owns the Marlins, not the Yankees. He will make decisions based on what is best for his current team and won't care about his former one.

And be realistic. Jeter could urinate all over a statue of Babe Ruth and broadcast it on the YES network and Yankee fans would still love him...
    So - here is how I interpret what you are saying Notin - Jeter could care less about building the future Marlins team based around one of the truly great potential players of this generation. I am just suggesting that trading off this kid would be the pr nightmare that no one wants to have. I think even Jeter cares about that just a bit.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    So - here is how I interpret what you are saying Notin - Jeter could care less about building the future Marlins team based around one of the truly great potential players of this generation. I am just suggesting that trading off this kid would be the pr nightmare that no one wants to have. I think even Jeter cares about that just a bit.
    But you said he wouldn't deal Stanton to Boston for fear of how Yankee fans will react. I say not only will he not consider Yankees fans opinion and do what's best for Miami, but Yankee fans wouldn't care. If anything, they'd be angry at Cashman for letting it happen. And that does count the extremity regard they hold for Cashman right now...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Jeter owns the Marlins, not the Yankees. He will make decisions based on what is best for his current team and won't care about his former one.

And be realistic. Jeter could urinate all over a statue of Babe Ruth and broadcast it on the YES network and Yankee fans would still love him...

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!11!!1! Love this.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    My sentiment as well. Giancarlo Stanton is 27 years old. The contract for the next 5 years, at $29.5 million/year as I understand it, is actually pretty good. The contract for the 5 years after that, covering his mid-30s, is a huge gamble. If he's still an offensive force, great. But chances are his skills diminish and the contract cripples the Red Sox. So if Stanton were just offered without anything returning in trade, the Sox should probably still say no. But to add prospects into the mix, it just makes it so much more likely the trade will not be in the Sox's favor.

That said, I would love to see him in a Sox uniform. But the only way to reduce the risk involved in this trade is to include David Price's contract. So, I would do Stanton for Price, but why would the Marlins? They want prospects.
    These types of contracts usually end up crippling a team in the later years of it. The fact that no team put a claim on him shows that no team is willing to take on that contract, regardless of whether they have to give up prospects or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I wouldn't trade Devers for Stanton.
    I'm not saying I would either. But Marlins aren't just giving away their biggest asset for overpaid veterans and scrubs. It would make no sense.

Major Leaguer
    Stanton is one of those players that comes along very rarely. If you have a chance to get him and can afford it you do it. He can Dh later on if need be. He has more homers than Bogey, Moreland and Hanley combined. I would trade for him, but no Devers. I would trade Bogey if I could slip in a slick fielding ss in our lineup, but not Marrarro. Nice to dream..

Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    Stanton is one of those players that comes along very rarely. If you have a chance to get him and can afford it you do it. He can Dh later on if need be. He has more homers than Bogey, Moreland and Hanley combined. I would trade for him, but no Devers. I would trade Bogey if I could slip in a slick fielding ss in our lineup, but not Marrarro. Nice to dream..
    Since Bogey only has 2 more years left and probably with decent arb contracts, I'm not sure he'd be what Miami would be looking for, unless they would flip him afterwards.

I do agree. Stanton is the "Chris Sale" of hitters. You just don't get chances to acquire guys like him very often. I, too, would avoid giving up Devers, but he might be the one guy Miami demands.

Throwing in Castillo might help defray the massive cost, but Stanton is not overpaid. They don't have to take back salary to trade him for top young talent.

Any deal not including Devers or Beni, or players with 2-3 years of control or less would, in reality, probably have to start with this:

ERod (4 arb years)
    Groome
    Chavis
    Mata
    Flores

Major Leaguer
    Nice to at least kick the tires on.

if we could land Stanton with the only major league being erod and 4 prospects. you do that every damn time. id even suck the Marlins gm off to finish the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    if we could land Stanton with the only major league being erod and 4 prospects. you do that every damn time. id even suck the Marlins gm off to finish the deal.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    hahahaha. perfect.
    other names i have posted under: none

Stanton is good, for sure. Very good. But methinks some of us have fallen a little too in love with his home runs.

He is not worth what it will take to get him.

Legend
    What would be Stanton's primary position, if he were Traded to the Sox you think? You cant Trade Devers, looking for 3rd baseman for years, and very important position. Move him weakens team, as crazy as that sounds.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 08-17-2017 at 12:00 PM.