Register now to remove this ad

Page 245 of 410 FirstFirst ... 145195235243244245246247255295345 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,675 of 6142

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    From ESPN staff writer Scott Lauber this morning:

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/red-...s-what-we-know
    Lauber looking to get a kickback? Not sure why Sox shouldhave it in their best interests to bid against themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

@timbritton

Ortiz on Devers: “He reminds me of myself a lot.” Called him “MVP caliber.”

Deity
    David is on a dream crusade. Devers would at second heading to third as Papi left the box.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @timbritton

Ortiz on Devers: “He reminds me of myself a lot.” Called him “MVP caliber.”
    interesting coming from a guy who never won an MVP.
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    And once again - your point? There have just been so many dh's who have won that award right. Now I'll just guess at this one - maybe David sees a little of himself in Devers when he steps into the batter's box.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    If he played 1b insteadof DH, he would have had an MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Wow - revenue sharing guaranteeing profitability to all irrespective of what the actual product on the field looks like. That was a good read. I could go off on a wild tangent right now but I don't want Hitch to get upset with me. I'm really glad that someone in their infinite wisdom is willing to help out some of these mega rich losers though. It is the right thing to do. lol
    Realizing that I'm a few hours behind in this discussion and hoping that this issue hasn't been beaten to death already....

I said back on the old BDC board that there are two ways to make money in Major League Baseball - by winning or by losing.
    If a team wins it puts fannies in the seats and sells merchandise. It allows $5 hot dogs and $10 beers. It builds a fan base that will pay to see every game on their local sports network. And it will allow for ever-escalating ticket prices.

If a team loses it then cries about how it can't compete with other teams so those other teams subsidize the losing teams to be sure they also make money.

IMO if anyone actually loses money owning a MLB team they have to be an idiot. Of course we have no way of knowing because they're all privately owned and therefore have no obligation to reveal their earnings statement. I've wondered for some time if there's be any sympathy for any owners if we knew exactly what their financial situation is.

Convenient, huh?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    I really don't care if owners make or lose money or if the money goes to them or the players.

I just draw the line at tax-subsidized stadiums. I might feel different if the stadium then became public, or at least part of a park district (like Soldiers Field in Chicago.) But instead it's just fiscally irresponsible billionaires looking for help.

As far as I'm concerned, if you can afford a $10mill setup guy you will only use for 60 innings, you an buy your own stadium. ..

Legend
    I had read almost nothing from Scott Boras since the Winter Meetings until FanRag columnist Jon Heyman posted this long piece on Friday:

https://www.fanragsports.com/inside-...n-slow-market/

Heyman has the reputation of being a Boras mouthpiece but the column provided an interesting read.

Do the Red Sox covet J.D. Martinez more than J.D. Martinez wants the Red Sox?

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/r...01HDMo.twitter
    Last edited by harmony; 01-19-2018 at 11:20 PM.

I had read almost nothing from Scott Boras since the Winter Meetings until FanRag columnist Jon Heyman posted this long piece on Friday:

Heyman has the reputation of being a Boras mouthpiece but the column provided an interesting read.

So the players are angry, huh? Angry that the owners aren't throwing MORE millions of dollars at them in an attempt to win them over. More and more i have no sympathy for either side.

And BTW, will someone please take Pedro aside and break the news to him that protection in the BA doesn't exist? One would think that Pedro, as a pitcher who understood the ramifications of pitching to guys like Ortiz would understand that, but apparently he doesn't. We don't need guys like Pedro telling us anything when we have statistics! Sheesh.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Revenues eclipsed $10 billion for the first time last year after being only $7B in 2011.

Sounds like MLB is doing fine.

Revenues up 43% in just six years!

J.D. Martinez wants more than $125 million, that's what he wants. If the Red Sox outbid themselves and jumped their offer I'm sure his feelings toward them would get warmer and fuzzier.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Lauber looking to get a kickback? Not sure why Sox shouldhave it in their best interests to bid against themselves.
    Yeah, I didn't get that at all either. There is still no indication that any other team has or is willing to offer that amount.

Boras sometimes has some good points to make, but IMO, he is pretty much FOS in this article.

Perhaps if he hadn't started off with such a ridiculous demand of $210 million, he and JD would realize that the $125 million offer is indeed a very good and more than fair offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    J.D. Martinez wants more than $125 million, that's what he wants. If the Red Sox outbid themselves and jumped their offer I'm sure his feelings toward them would get warmer and fuzzier.
    Of course. If the Red Sox outbid themselves to get JD, I would be upset with the FO, not with JD.

It's like when we signed Price, or traded for Sale or Kimbrel. I hated the contract/cost of getting the players, but was thrilled to have the players on the team. I won't begrudge JD, unless he holds out through ST and that affects his play.