Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2017-2018 Hot Stove

Green was absolutely dominant. I’d rather keep him where he is and almost piggy back him with Adams to start.

Me too, but the Yankees want to see if he can transfer that dominance to a SP role

Cashman resigned. Priority #1, GET STANTON

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    Cashman resigned. Priority #1, GET STANTON
    Would you rather Stanton plus the loss of Yankees prospects or FA signing of Machado or Harper next offseason with the loss of no prospects?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Would you rather Stanton plus the loss of Yankees prospects or FA signing of Machado or Harper next offseason with the loss of no prospects?
    Whos to say Manny and Harper will sign with us next off season?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Stanton won't command numerous top 10 prospects for the fact that he comes with a $300M price tag. And I think signing Harper/Machado would result in losing a first round pick, which is essentially a top prospect.

So to answer your question, yes the Yankees should sign all three!

All-Star
    I wouldn't mind signing that Cuban OF prospect, CC for 10 million with incentives to get to 12 and trading Dellin for Kyle Schwaber. Honestly I'd love Stanton but I don't want him. I say just wait for next year and sign Kershaw and Manny or Harper. Save your money to blow Kershaw out of the water.

Cashman to get a 5 year extension. Are the rumors real?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Cashman to get a 5 year extension. Are the rumors real?
    Yep,

he got 5yr/25Mill.

I’m wondering about Stanton. I’d love him and $25 mil AAV will be paltry compared to Harper. Color me intrigued if they can do it

Alright, Stanton won’t waive his NTC. He’ll only accept a deal to Chicago, LA, NYY or HOU.

Chicago needs pitching and is running into its own salary cap issues. Houston will be trying to keep the band together, not looking to add almost $300 mil in salary. The Dodgers don’t have the payroll space. We are the only ones who can absorb his salary and still stay under the cap. We’d have to make it somewhat painful. I’d send them a single good prospect , some filler, and Headley to offset some cash from 2018 (Headley is a FA after 2018). That only adds $11 mil to the lux tax pot for 2018 which will let us reset. I’m all in on the Stanton train now. The Marlins need cap relief and we are the only ones capable of making it happen without hamstringing the Marlins financially

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    I was reading ESPN's conjecture today (that's all they print nowadays) that the Yankees would insist on Ellsbury going the other way in the deal. Not a bad haul if they can swing it. But they're trying to stay below the tax barrier, remember? wink, wink.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

They absolutely can stay below the tax barrier for 2018 and that is all they want to do. With the contracts they have and the arb cases they expect, they are somewhere in the $145 mil range right now. Stanton at $25 mil AAV (the contract might be $29.5 mil AAV here on out, but the contract moves over and 13 yrs at $325 mil is $25 mil AAV) would still keep them well below the threshold.

Ellsbury isn't moving to Florida unless we find a way to offload him to Seattle or SF (He's a NW guy and he has a no trade). I do think we can move Headley and his $14 mil to Miami. This only raises our AAV up $11 mil and leaves us with more room to address other issues either now or at the deadline. This would move either Andujar or Torres into our starting lineup at 3b or it opens the door for a one year deal with Frazier if he wishes.
    Hal sucks

This is really picking up steam. Getting a 7 WAR player who can drop 60 bombs in his prime is rare. Having 2 of them in the same lineup is unheard of. Also, our team DH stats from 2017 were unbelievably bad. Stanton comes in and we can rotate an OFer through the DH slot on a daily basis, allowing everyone a chance to rest on the regular. That is when we aren’t using the DH spot for Sanchez who will likely occupy the position 20-30 times in 2018. We essentially take a minus WAR position and turn it positive by 7 and this team just got more deadly. I hope it happens.

I am hearing Castro being used as trade bait. That’s fine by me. I had said in the original post that I though we needed to move him. We have the top prospect in baseball waiting, so it can be a good transition. If we need to get him more time we have Torreyes who can fill in or we can give Tyler Wade a shot as he demolished AAA pitching yet struggled in a cameo that didn’t feature good playing time.

Baseball is played at a high level in numerous locations.

1.What are teams allowed to purchase? Whether they should be able to or not, is an ethical question and a debate in itself.

2. What are team profit margins? --> affects who they can afford to buy.

2a) Can the Yanks still afford the biggest payroll? --> Who can they have? How many free agents can they afford?

2b) Would the presence of Stanton preclude bidding on Kershaw or Harper next year?

2c) How high is Steinbrenner willing to raise payroll? I don't even know if Cashman has that number, but he should. He's got a great name and a good brain for that job.

2D) Team control of their young stars like Judge and Sanchez - how much will it cost them in the future?

2E) Is Sanchez/Harper/Judge/Stanton wishful thinking?

2F) Can someone find a more up to date version of the profit margin for the Yanks?

2007 profit/cost margin according to: http://nymag.com/news/features/2007/profit/32903/

Annual Revenue: $302 million (with $28 million in losses).

Sources of Revenue: Stadium tickets: $117 million (4.2 million tickets at an average of $28 each); YES network TV/radio rights: $60 million; Major League TV and licensing: $30 million; concessions: $10 million; sponsorships and advertising: $30 million; premium seating: $27 million; local radio: $13 million; catering: $5 million; other: $10 million.

Annual Overhead Costs: Player salaries: $195 million; Major League revenue-sharing fees: $70 million; Major League luxury tax: $25 million; stadium operations: $20 million; travel and training: $20 million.
    --------------
    According to http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...-Expenses.aspx
    This article, also from 2007, claims the franchise is worth 1.2 billion.

Whatever Forbes lists as the club's value, ultimately it's what anyone is willing to purchase the club for.

3.Any interviews with Steinbrenner?

4. This resurgence looks incredible. Is there another dynasty on the way?

5. I like to think that Ohtani made a mistake in not choosing the Yankees. Whatever the case, I'm interested to see him play in the majors.

There's only one major league. All the others are minor, and just like their musical counterpart, have merit. In general, Japan's League has better pitching than Korea's, the latter being very hitter friendly. There's going to be a lot of pressure on Ohtani wherever he is because he's not going to make much money. He's going to have to earn a big baseball payday.

Some speculated Otani didn't want to be on a team with a fellow Japanese star. If true, was it a marketing decision? I'm assuming he stands to make a lot of money via commercial sponsorship back home.

6. If Steinbrenner gets Stanton, he might as well just buy the Marlins, make Jeter an ambassador or something. Maybe he already has. What would happen if a guy owns two teams? Possibly this Stanton trade, for instance. LOL. As a fan, I'm lovin' it. McDonald's can start selling pinstripe fries.