PDA

View Full Version : Some suggestions for the new "roolz"

ORS
07-22-2008, 08:08 AM
I've seen a couple of features on other boards that may help with the new rules.

1. Word filters - this changes naughty words / phrases to something of your liking. For example, when the letters "eff yoo see kay" appear consecutively, you can set the filter to change it to something else. I've seen clever applications of this. I think the best one was "gently caress" (at a gaming forum of all places). So, when someone said "eff off" it appeared as "gently caress off". We could even have a contest in the "Anything Goes" forum.

2. A text/picture display toggle. It requires the user to click on the box to display some text or picture. Suppose a thread in "Anything Goes" is not tagged NSFW, but a response in the thread is? With this, we'd be able to essentially hide the picture until the user decided to view it.

That is all for now.

yeszir
07-22-2008, 08:33 AM
I like the picture display toggle idea a lot.

The word censor can be implemented very easily, but I'm hesitant to use it. Some words might be filtered out, but probably not the basic swears. As a joke I could change the word "the" to a really really long sentence and confuse the crap out of people.

Rdsxmbnt
07-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Doesn't the image still download to your computer though even if it is in a spoiler or drop down?

ORS
07-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Don't know? Does your IT monitor you temp files? I though the idea of NSFW was concern about what shows up on your screen and your coworkers can see.

Soxfan#1
07-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Just put the spoiler tags around the image and members have to click view to see the image.

Word filters are dumb and will be avoided by too many. Don't do it.

schillingouttheks
07-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Just put the spoiler tags around the image and members have to click view to see the image.

Word filters are dumb and will be avoided by too many. Don't do it.

Just don't spill any "nigga" or "fag" and we'll be fine. That's one of the few things that we're still going to keep off the board entirely.

ORS
07-22-2008, 11:51 AM
O Rly? Point to where that is an option on this list....link (http://www.talksox.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode).

I wouldn't have suggested it if it was.

Soxfan#1
07-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah obviously Yeszir has to implement it.

I'll lay off those outside of Anything Goes.

See Red
07-22-2008, 01:44 PM
On another board they censor words with this... http://boards.sportslogos.net/style_emoticons/default/censored.gif

For instance... I hate the http://boards.sportslogos.net/style_emoticons/default/censored.gif Yankees!

ORS
07-22-2008, 01:55 PM
I can understand why many wouldn't like the censorship, especially if it went to something bland and uninteresting. I do think we could have fun with what gets censored and what the output is, but that's just me.

Soxfan#1
07-22-2008, 03:53 PM
It should be an optional setting.

ORS
07-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Not really. If the moderation team wants to clean up the main part of the site, then it should be clean for all.

CrespoBlows
07-22-2008, 08:11 PM
I can understand why many wouldn't like the censorship, especially if it went to something bland and uninteresting. I do think we could have fun with what gets censored and what the output is, but that's just me.

Wouldn't that confuse the new members?

Soxfan#1
07-22-2008, 08:31 PM
If the whole board doesn't mind e-life without censorship than there is no reason for the members that don't want it to have to put up with it.

Just make the censor default and optional to remove.

See Red
07-22-2008, 08:38 PM
If the whole board doesn't mind e-life without censorship than there is no reason for the members that don't want it to have to put up with it.

Just make the censor default and optional to remove.

Is it really that big of a deal?

schillingouttheks
07-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Is it really that big of a deal?

It almost sounds like he's trying to find a place where he can curse profusely. I mean, I don't really care personally - but if there's going to be censorship then it's being implemented for good reason, and won't be optional outside of Anything Goes.

Soxfan#1
07-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Censorship is stupid. We used to look down at it immensely when YES was using it.

ORS
07-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah, but their version, not surprisingly since they have a legitimate brand to protect, was corporate and bland. I'm not in favor of doing something like that. However, if it was done creatively, I think it would add a layer of humor to the site.

And, Crespo, yes, it probably would confuse new members at first. That said, it's not rocket science to figure out.

Again, this was just a suggestion. I'll lose no sleep if nobody wants to do this.

BudLight
07-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Censorship!! Are you out of your gently caressing mind. Gently Caress Off!! This isn't mother gently caressing Russia. The gently caressing cold war is over. Gently caress those without thick skin. Even P gently caressing G-13 movies allow words like gently caress and gently caressing and gently caress off and gently caress you. Thanks for considering my gently caressing opinion.

yeszir
07-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Censorship!! Are you out of your gently caressing mind. Gently Caress Off!! This isn't mother gently caressing Russia. The gently caressing cold war is over. Gently caress those without thick skin. Even P gently caressing G-13 movies allow words like gently caress and gently caressing and gently caress off and gently caress you. Thanks for considering my gently caressing opinion.

:lol::lol: Gently caress! You made me laugh at work. Nickname for Richard Nixon!

ORS
07-23-2008, 11:23 AM
That's the gently caressing spirit!

yeszir
07-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Honestly, I don't think a censor is in the cards. Essentially every word is still allowed. People aren't going to have to change their posting habits. But excessive swearing will be edited out by moderators and overt attacks will be too. Plus, it'll just lead to people writing sh*it and fvck, like they do on the YES boards, which is annoying and stupid.

The goal being to focus on baseball in the baseball section and to have other areas for people to gently caress around.

Jayhawk Bill
07-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Gently caress those without thick skin.

Out of curiosity, does the filter that substitutes "gently caress" for "eff-you-see-kay" also substitute "thick skin" for "pee-ee-en-eye-ess?" :dunno: