PDA

View Full Version : Metal

Pages : [1] 2

yankee20715
08-10-2008, 04:39 AM
Any metal heads out there? Or am I the only one?

http://overkill.superhost.pl/news/2004/devil_horns_story.jpg

BigPapiEnFuego
08-10-2008, 11:24 AM
not only you. Huge metal head right here

Thumper
08-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Depends on what bands you consider metal.

msubulldogs21
08-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I like some metal at times. Anyone like Haste the Day? They're one of my favorite bands.

BigPapiEnFuego
08-11-2008, 01:17 AM
Haste The Day is metalcore. God i hate metalcore

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Ehh idk. Name a band.

TheKilo
08-11-2008, 08:56 AM
lol @ metal snobs

Paradisecity
08-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Opeth is one of my favorite bands. I saw them in Montreal, gonna go see them in NYC in september

Amon Amarth, Iced Earth, In Flames, and a bunch I cant remember because it is early

yankee20715
08-11-2008, 09:21 AM
In Flames is good. I love old Metallica.

Currently I'm obsessed with Devildriver and Atreyu.

Paradisecity
08-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Atreyu is pretty soft IMO, kinda sellout in their sound- devildriver has a very good base for their work and have good pieces but they always seem to fall a little short for me.

Slayer, how could I forget them?

Lamb of God has some good stuff, the sword is a very good band worth checking out.

Megadeth, All that Remains

As I Lay Dying- a lot of good songs.

Killswitch Engage has some good stuff

KMFDM's WWIII is a sick song

Old Avenged Sevenfold- Darkness Surrounds and City of Evil albums, not their first or their most recent

A lot of people like Children of Bodom a lot- they are ok but not really on my iPod

It Dies Today, Still Remains' Blossom the Witch is a great song

Squish
08-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I spent the 90's in all those clubs in Boston listening to my husband and all the other local metal bands. I have to say I'm a bit burnt out at this point. However I do plan to see the Wargasm reunion show at The Middle East next month. That's gonna be a must see.

Gom
08-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Does Snoop Doggy Dog qualify as hardcore metal?

I spent the 90's in all those clubs in Boston listening to my husband and all the other local metal bands. I have to say I'm a bit burnt out at this point. However I do plan to see the Wargasm reunion show at The Middle East next month. That's gonna be a must see.
Somebody married you? Are you serious?

BigPapiEnFuego
08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Boy, everyone listens to more mainstream stuff, which is cool. I fucking love Metallica and Slayer. I seen Slayer twice. Lamb of God with them. And Children of Bodom. Nobody listens to sludge metal/doom metal though? I love that stuff. Shit like The Melvins(saw them last night with big business), Mastodon, Electric Wizard, Sleep, Black Sabbath, and others

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Boy, everyone listens to more mainstream stuff, which is cool. I fucking love Metallica and Slayer. I seen Slayer twice. Lamb of God with them. And Children of Bodom. Nobody listens to sludge metal/doom metal though? I love that stuff. Shit like The Melvins(saw them last night with big business), Mastodon, Electric Wizard, Sleep, Black Sabbath, and others
You mean like Dying Fetus? I don't like that stuff. I'm more the Sevendust/Disturbed kind of metal (if that's even considered metal lol).

BigPapiEnFuego
08-11-2008, 11:47 AM
You mean like Dying Fetus? I don't like that stuff. I'm more the Sevendust/Disturbed kind of metal (if that's even considered metal lol).

Dying Fetus is death metal, which is cool too. It's also kinda like Grindcore. Grindcore is fucking badass.

Sevendust/Disturbed is like, borderline metal. It's heavy rock lol

Paradisecity
08-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Sabbath, Dio, great stuff.

Mastodon, not bad.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Dying Fetus is death metal, which is cool too. It's also kinda like Grindcore. Grindcore is fucking badass.

Sevendust/Disturbed is like, borderline metal. It's heavy rock lol
well there you go. hard rock ftw!!!

Squish
08-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Somebody married you? Are you serious?

Good one, Yankee Boy. And tell me, have you found the unluckiest woman in the world yet?:harhar:

schillingouttheks
08-11-2008, 03:09 PM
well there you go. hard rock ftw!!!

Well, if we're going to talk about bands like those then yes, I'm a hard rock fan. I love Avenged Sevenfold's "City of Evil" album. Disturbed and Sevendust are cool too.

Does anyone like Adema? Their lyrics kind of annoy me because they lack substance, but I enjoy the rhythm to most of their songs. I don't really know what to make of them.

yankee20715
08-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Atreyu is pretty soft IMO, kinda sellout in their sound-

Yeah that is true, I forgot how badly their last album sucked. However The Curse and A Deathgrip on Yesterday are phenominal albums. I actually got an autographed copy of Deathgrip its pretty sweet.

One of my friends highly recomended IWRESTLEDABEARONCE so I'm gonna check them out anyone got anything on them?

Gom
08-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Good one, Yankee Boy. And tell me, have you found the unluckiest woman in the world yet?:harhar:
Tell your mother I said hello.

yeszir
08-12-2008, 01:19 PM
There's actually a band called "Dying Fetus" and people spend money to listen to the sound that they create?

Squish
08-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Tell your mother I said hello.

She says Hello back and also told me that you are hung like pimple. Maybe if you stick your finger in your ass you can make it a bit longer.

BigPapiEnFuego
08-12-2008, 02:51 PM
There's actually a band called "Dying Fetus" and people spend money to listen to the sound that they create?

yes. They actually aren't so bad. There are plenty of worse bands, like Waking the Cadaver.

yankee20715
08-12-2008, 07:34 PM
New Metallica Album Death Magnet is being released Sept 10. I'm excited for it. I'm really hoping that they bring back the pre-black album days. I dont think it will happen but I can always hope.

Also it has The Unforgiven III on it. I and II were pretty good but I dont know about a III. Its either gonna be 3 strikes your out or third times a charm

BigPapiEnFuego
08-12-2008, 07:40 PM
New Metallica Album Death Magnet is being released Sept 10. I'm excited for it. I'm really hoping that they bring back the pre-black album days. I dont think it will happen but I can always hope.

Also it has The Unforgiven III on it. I and II were pretty good but I dont know about a III. Its either gonna be 3 strikes your out or third times a charm

Yeah man i'm excited as fuck for that album. Have you heard cyanide? It was premiered at ozzfest the other day. here it is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKBy8--Y1Nc

pretty good, although the bass sounds shity. not the playing, just the sound.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-12-2008, 08:24 PM

if you actually heard the music, you'd be even more astounded. the lyrics are nearly isdistinct, and they actually sound a lot like burps or wolf growls. combine that with cheap ass frantic electric guitars and quicker black sabbath drumming and there you go.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah that is true, I forgot how badly their last album sucked. However The Curse and A Deathgrip on Yesterday are phenominal albums. I actually got an autographed copy of Deathgrip its pretty sweet.

One of my friends highly recomended IWRESTLEDABEARONCE so I'm gonna check them out anyone got anything on them?

I really do think I'm the only person alive who thought LSPA was a decent album. :D

Gom
08-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Jacoby, who is that chick in your avatar? Holy shit.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Diana Falzone.

BigPapiEnFuego
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
if you actually heard the music, you'd be even more astounded. the lyrics are nearly isdistinct, and they actually sound a lot like burps or wolf growls. combine that with cheap ass frantic electric guitars and quicker black sabbath drumming and there you go.

cheap ass frantic guitars? man... you don't know how hard it is to play that type of stuff. I don't like it, but i've been playing guitar and bass for years and shit like dying fetus is HARD to play.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-12-2008, 10:28 PM
cheap ass frantic guitars? man... you don't know how hard it is to play that type of stuff. I don't like it, but i've been playing guitar and bass for years and shit like dying fetus is HARD to play.

I understand that its difficult to play but it just sounds like shit.

strangebrew1967
09-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Thrash Metal. Like from the 80's, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and then I like Pantera, kinda had their own style of metal, kinda groovy metal sort of thing going on there. Also, Hair "Metal" is just awful, I mean, was there really any talent in hair metal whatsoever?

rician blast
09-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Atreyu is pretty soft IMO, kinda sellout in their sound- devildriver has a very good base for their work and have good pieces but they always seem to fall a little short for me.

Slayer, how could I forget them?

Lamb of God has some good stuff, the sword is a very good band worth checking out.

Megadeth, All that Remains

As I Lay Dying- a lot of good songs.

Killswitch Engage has some good stuff

KMFDM's WWIII is a sick song

Old Avenged Sevenfold- Darkness Surrounds and City of Evil albums, not their first or their most recent

A lot of people like Children of Bodom a lot- they are ok but not really on my iPod

It Dies Today, Still Remains' Blossom the Witch is a great song

I just ran these bands by my kids. They like most of them too. My 16 yr old Brian says how about Oh Sleeper, The Devil Wears Prada, Norma Jean, Emmure...if you like those other bands you likely would like these (I guess Emmure is a local band).

I saw As I Lay Dying with August Burns Red and Evergree Terrace and Misery Signals at the Webster in Hartford...well actually took my 16 yr old and some friends there, I personally had to spend most of the show in this side bar watching the Celtics.

We also saw Chiodos with Drop Dead Gorgeous, MXPX and The Color Fred.

I grew up on the big hair bands, still love Iron Maiden, Queensryche, etc. As for these modern bands we're talking about, I don't care for the screaming...I do like the tunes when they're a bit more melodic, like AX7's Seize the Day.

One band I really like, because they're not quite as hard, is Halifax.

rician blast
09-19-2008, 02:49 PM
For you metal heads who live within reasonably close porimity to Hartford, here is a link to the Webster Theater's line-up:

http://www.webstertheater.com/EVENTS_theater.htm

October 23
Underoath
Saosin
The Devil Wears Prada
POS

November 9
Norma Jean
Haste The Day
Showdown
My Children My Bride
Oh Sleeper

November 18 (with a much softer headliner)
Puddle Of Mudd
Red
Ashes Divide
Temptered Cast

yankee20715
09-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Anyone hear the new Metallica album Death Magnetic yet?

I actually think its pretty fucking sweet. Not as good as Vintage 80's metallica but can you really expect that from extremely rich 45 year olds?

But anyways guitar solos are back, the first 3 songs are pretty vintage and there really wasnt any songs on the album I didnt like.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Anyone hear the new Metallica album Death Magnetic yet?

I actually think its pretty fucking sweet. Not as good as Vintage 80's metallica but can you really expect that from extremely rich 45 year olds?

But anyways guitar solos are back, the first 3 songs are pretty vintage and there really wasnt any songs on the album I didnt like.

I caught the leak a few weeks ago, and i was highly impressed. I love just about every song. I still need to go out and buy the actual album though

strangebrew1967
09-20-2008, 09:48 AM
I heard that their new album his kind of a Prog Rock thing going on, but I haven't listened. Either way, I missed the old Metallica, their last bunch of albums before this just sucked.

yankee20715
09-23-2008, 06:19 PM
I heard that their new album his kind of a Prog Rock thing going on, but I haven't listened. Either way, I missed the old Metallica, their last bunch of albums before this just sucked.

I dont know if I'd use the word sucked. If you put any other name on the front of the album they would be passable but because its Metallica and in comparison to their older stuff it is pretty shitty.

I still wonder what would have happened if Cliff didnt get killed back in 86.

Gom
09-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Yankee20715...I love your avatar.

Paradisecity
09-24-2008, 09:06 AM
The new Metallica would be really good if Hetfield would shut the fuck up.

The lyrics on this album for the most part were corny, and used up from previous metal songs. Hetfield's voice is just plain awful now too.

I'm pretty good at drowning out the lyrics anyway so its not the biggest deal to me. He sounds pretty good on "All nightmare long", and "Unforgiven III" is very good and doesn't sound like the others, though there is a buildup that could have amounted to much more.

I saw Opeth at the Nokia Theatre in Times Square last Thursday. Very good show with a diverse set full of some of my personal favorites.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-24-2008, 01:29 PM
The new Metallica would be really good if Hetfield would shut the fuck up.

The lyrics on this album for the most part were corny, and used up from previous metal songs. Hetfield's voice is just plain awful now too.

I'm pretty good at drowning out the lyrics anyway so its not the biggest deal to me. He sounds pretty good on "All nightmare long", and "Unforgiven III" is very good and doesn't sound like the others, though there is a buildup that could have amounted to much more.

I saw Opeth at the Nokia Theatre in Times Square last Thursday. Very good show with a diverse set full of some of my personal favorites.

Was that Opeth show with High on Fire and Baroness? I know those 2 bands are supposed to tour with Opeth soon I think. I never got into Opeth much but High on Fire and Baroness are awesome. Especially Baroness.

Paradisecity
09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
To be honest I didnt listen to a thing before they came out. We took 40 minutes to drink a bottle of Basil Hayden on the train ride in and the posted up at the bar until just before they came on.

I was lucky to remember my name, much less the show.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Trivium's new album, Shogun, is astoundingly good. I also had a chance to listen to all of A Sense of Purpose (In Flames new album), and that album's pretty awesome too. I heard Death Magnetic sucked so I won't bother with that. Never liked Metallica anyway, to be honest. Lost In The Sound of Seperation isn't too bad either (Underoath).

But really, Shogun's a must. Into the Mouth of Hell, Shogun, Throes of Perdition, and Like Callisto To A Star In Heaven are some of the best songs I've ever heard. I got this shit on my Fuze and I'm playing the shit out of it every day.

EDIT: I should mention it's not released until the 30th. Don't ask me how I've heard it already, its none of your business. :)

BigPapiEnFuego
09-25-2008, 02:56 PM
I heard some of Shogun on youtube and stuff. Trivium is a huge joke.

Paradisecity
09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
EDIT: I should mention it's not released until the 30th. Don't ask me how I've heard it already, its none of your business. :)

Blowing the drummer?

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Blowing the drummer?

LOL no. Internet leaks. Shit like this always leaks early.

I heard some of Shogun on youtube and stuff. Trivium is a huge joke.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/fail-owned-building-door-fail.jpg

rician blast
10-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Anyone hear the latest All That Remains CD? I like it, which means they must be mellowing, and the hard core metalheads will probably start to turn on them like they did to Atreyu and AX7. Can't say I blame a band for wanting to actually make some decent money.

BigPapiEnFuego
10-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I heard one song from it, it was still good. Atreyu and A7X was garbage from the begining though. They weren't even metal to begin with really

Jacoby_Ellsbury
10-22-2008, 04:55 PM
I heard one song from it, it was still good. Atreyu and A7X was garbage from the begining though. They weren't even metal to begin with really
A7X was heavy metal to start out, then they just slowly drifted away from that, and this album and tracks like 'Dear God' are the result.

BigPapiEnFuego
10-22-2008, 07:12 PM
They were originally hardcore.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
10-22-2008, 07:21 PM
They were originally hardcore.
Their first two albums are defined as metalcore. Close enough, right? ;)

BigPapiEnFuego
10-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I guess. I just hate the term Metalcore. It's barely metal. It's usually just hardcore with bad solos haha. idk i guess it depends on the bands. Like Lamb of God is metalcore, but has more metal than hardcore. Its confusing sometimes.

msubulldogs21
10-22-2008, 08:46 PM
The new Haste the Day album, "Dreamer", is awesome.

That is all.

msubulldogs21
10-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I guess. I just hate the term Metalcore. It's barely metal. It's usually just hardcore with bad solos haha. idk i guess it depends on the bands. Like Lamb of God is metalcore, but has more metal than hardcore. Its confusing sometimes.

I rarely pay much attention to terms like that. If it's appealing to me, I'll listen to it. If not, I won't. I don't care what it's classified as.

Paradisecity
03-30-2009, 03:05 PM
3 Inches of Blood.

Termites chew through wood faster listening to 3 Inches of Blood.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
03-30-2009, 03:18 PM
I've kinda backed off the metalcore/death shit I posted about earlier in this thread... more of a thrash metal guy now. Slayer, Megadeth, etc.

Paradisecity
08-12-2009, 09:20 AM
GOJIRA.

Listen to Art of Dying and tell me you don't want to firebomb a village with a helicopter.

The_Destroyah
08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Trivium, Maylene and The Sons of Disaster ar real good they might be metalcore though I dont know, Megadeth, Metallica and all metallica even the newer shit even though I think Ride The Lighning and Kill'Em All were my favorite albums, Bleeding Through, do we consider Tool metal?
Pantera, Black Sabbath, etc.

Emmz
09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Tool I consider progressive metal. I've always loved metal, Trivium is awesome, sounds like a modern Metallica or something, and then Megadeth and Metallica are good. Anyone heard Megadeth's new album? It's so awesome. I love Nu Metal, like KoRn, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Limp Bizkit, etc. too alot.

Any Iron Maiden or Judas Priest fans? Love that New Wave British Metal stuff.

Dipre
09-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Tool I consider progressive metal. I've always loved metal, Trivium is awesome, sounds like a modern Metallica or something, and then Megadeth and Metallica are good. Anyone heard Megadeth's new album? It's so awesome. I love Nu Metal, like KoRn, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Limp Bizkit, etc. too alot.

Tool= Greatest.Band.Ever.

Carry on.

The_Destroyah
09-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Tool= Greatest.Band.Ever.

Carry on.

This.
Carry on again.

Emmz
09-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I got all of Tool's CDs I love Maynard. I honestly don't think Tool has done a bad song. I've always liked H, and off their new album I like The Pot and Rosetta Stoned alot. You like other Progressive Metal bands? Like Dream Theatre?

Dipre
09-10-2009, 04:38 PM
I got all of Tool's CDs I love Maynard. I honestly don't think Tool has done a bad song. I've always liked H, and off their new album I like The Pot and Rosetta Stoned alot. You like other Progressive Metal bands? Like Dream Theatre?

Lol H (or Herion) is one of the finest pieces of lyrical work ever made, together with Aenima and Vicarious.

Now Vicarious is probably the best song Maynard has ever written and it's not even close.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-10-2009, 04:43 PM

Indeed it is, literally put it on my fuze like 5 minutes ago.

Maiden is awesome, definitely in my top 5. As for Priest, Painkiller is awesomely awesome, but that's the only thing of theirs that really blew me away. Stained Class is pretty decent though, hence my avatar.

Emmz
09-10-2009, 04:49 PM
I love Priest's first two huge albums, British Steel and Screaming For Vengeance. And yeah virtually everything Iron Maiden did in the 80's is godly.

Emmz
09-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Lol H (or Herion) is one of the finest pieces of lyrical work ever made, together with Aenima and Vicarious.

Now Vicarious is probably the best song Maynard has ever written and it's not even close.

Oh yeah, for some reason didn't think about Vicarious, yes, that song is probably one of my three favorites by Tool.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-10-2009, 04:57 PM
And yeah virtually everything Iron Maiden did in the 80's is godly.

After Piece of Mind, yes. That and the stuff before it is kind of iffy IMO. Yes that includes Number of the Beast. But Powerslave, SIT and Seventh Son are insane.

Emmz
09-10-2009, 05:00 PM
I loved Number Of The Beast, but most Iron Maiden fans say it's the best album they ever did. Nah, that's bull, Powerslave is a tenfold better, but I still like Number Of The Beast a lot because of Run To The Hills.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Trivium is awesome, sounds like a modern Metallica or something,

I raged hard.

Paradisecity
09-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Ive listened to 3 inches of Blood's newest that came out on tuesday and as a huge 3InOB fan I'm not that impressed. The album is ok with a couple very good tracks (Execution Tank, All of Them Witches) and the rest is pretty pedestrian with some good guitar riffs that show up mid-songs.

Trivium's Shogun album is very very very good.

I think someone should remake Braveheart into a musical with Iron Maiden's music dubbed in over the top. Among others, you could have The Clansman, Run to the Hills, and Robert the Bruce cranking out Paschendale at the end.

Emmz
09-11-2009, 10:20 AM
That's an interesting (good way) idea. Idk, never really listened to 3 Inches Of Blood, and yeah I loved Shogun, good good stuff. Every song on the album was good.

Paradisecity
09-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Next time you want to get really fired up, listen to the song Deadly Sinners as loud as you can.

Emmz
09-11-2009, 11:11 AM
3 Inches of Blood who do they sound like or what kind of music is it? Well a more specific kind of metal at least

Paradisecity
09-11-2009, 11:17 AM
They have a lot of thrash to them. Personally, I don't think they sound like anybody, but usually they get linked to old school bands like Judas Priest. They have a very unique sound though.

They did a SICK Blue Oyster Cult cover on their new album. Hahaha

Fire up the Blades, their 3rd album, was produced by Joey Jordison ( who has also filled in on drums a couple times) because he loves them so much.

The only way to get them really is to listen to them, IMHO.

Deadly Sinners
Night Marauders
Destroy The Orcs
The Goatriders Hoarde
Trial of Champions

They also have sweet lyrics too.

The best way to describe them for me, is like this: If I had 4 minutes to kill as many people as I could and needed a soundtrack for it, it would be 3 Inches of Blood.

The_Destroyah
09-11-2009, 11:26 AM
They have a lot of thrash to them. Personally, I don't think they sound like anybody, but usually they get linked to old school bands like Judas Priest. They have a very unique sound though.

They did a SICK Blue Oyster Cult cover on their new album. Hahaha

Fire up the Blades, their 3rd album, was produced by Joey Jordison ( who has also filled in on drums a couple times) because he loves them so much.

The only way to get them really is to listen to them, IMHO.

Deadly Sinners
Night Marauders
Destroy The Orcs
The Goatriders Hoarde
Trial of Champions

They also have sweet lyrics too.

The best way to describe them for me, is like this: If I had 4 minutes to kill as many people as I could and needed a soundtrack for it, it would be 3 Inches of Blood.
really? If I needed a soundtrack for that Id get something like Frank Sinatra or Randy Newman...btw Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr is still a badass song, and Bleeding Through is a current favorite of mine too.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-11-2009, 11:30 AM
I will admit that Death Magnetic is awesome for bass wars.

Emmz
09-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Okay, I'd go with Lamb of God lol but I'll take a listen, thanks!

(Btw, anyone heard Lamb of God's album as Burn The Priest? The song Bloodletting might be the heaviest song I've ever heard, and that includes Devildriver and other bands of the same vein)

The_Destroyah
09-11-2009, 11:47 AM
The intro riff in Laid to Rest is pretty sweet, but I love Omerta.

Paradisecity
09-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Gojira's Art of Dying is very very very hard, but they are very progressive and not for everyone.

Amon Amarth anyone?

BigPapiEnFuego
09-11-2009, 01:17 PM

My soundtrack would be Locust Star by Neurosis. I don't know if I've heard anything more angry sounding, just watch them play it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmdmnnv2NkY

also, Gojira is fucking great.

The_Destroyah
09-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I think you are all underestemating just how angry every Randy Newman song is...his version of Why Can't We Be Friends is brutal.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-11-2009, 01:22 PM
I know how brutal he is dude. After seeing Toy Story back in 95 I went home and eviscerated my dog then lit my mother on fire as she slept.

The_Destroyah
09-11-2009, 01:23 PM
I know how brutal he is dude. After seeing Toy Story back in 95 I went home and eviscerated my dog then lit my mother on fire as she slept.

I believe I did something similar...that sounds like an episode of Metalocolypse.

Dipre
09-11-2009, 01:25 PM
You guys are hilarious.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Speaking of Metalocalypse, Dethalbum II leaked yesterday. It's pretty good. Brendan Small is a hell of a guitar player. Should be pretty interesting to actually see them in person when I do in October. I'm going to be there more for Mastodon and High on Fire, but Dethklok should be sick too

The_Destroyah
09-11-2009, 01:42 PM
That and Dethklok's just going to be pretty interesting to see...im quite curious as to what they look/sonund like live.

Paradisecity
09-11-2009, 01:54 PM
I think you are all underestemating just how angry every Randy Newman song is...his version of Why Can't We Be Friends is brutal.

Well, there are different kinds of killing songs. For instance:

If i had an entire army to help me kill the enemy with firebombing and gatling guns, I would listen to Gojira's The Art of Dying

If I had to kill the devil in an epic battle back and forth, I would probably listen to Opeth's Demon of the Fall

If I had to kill my wife (I don't have one) I would do it to Barry Manilow's Can't Smile Without You

If I had to kill the cops in a getaway chase I'd listen to Judas Priest's Breaking the law
or Scott Joplin's The Entertainer

If I had to kill everyone comic book style I would do it to A7X's Beast and the Harlot (the live version with the best death growl/shriek ever).

If I had to kill harmless villagers in a bevy of laughter I would do it to Iron Maiden's Run to the Hills

If I had to run down the streets killing random strangers with nothing but everyday objects it would be to Marilyn Manson's Astonishing Panorama of the End Times

if I had to kill my worst enemy by stabbing him 1000 times it would be to Raffi's Baby Beluga while making him listen to it with me.

Paradisecity
09-11-2009, 01:59 PM
And if I had to kill Jacksonianmarch, it would probably be to Hot Venom's Pop That Pussy

The_Destroyah
09-11-2009, 02:02 PM
If I had to kill a car full of midget clowns it would be to Randy Newman's Short People Got No Reason To Live.

The_Destroyah
09-11-2009, 02:07 PM
http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/CappLH/Newman2.jpg?t=1252696026

Dipre
09-11-2009, 02:12 PM
And if I had to kill Jacksonianmarch, it would probably be to Hot Venom's Pop That Pussy

Post Of the Year.

If I had to kill a car full of midget clowns it would be to Randy Newman's Short People Got No Reason To Live.

Runner-up.

Emmz
09-11-2009, 02:23 PM

LOL!

That is just too funny

Paradisecity
09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Post Of the Year.

Don't confuse Hot Venom's Pop That Pussy with 2 Live Crew's version. Don't get me wrong, I love them both. Hot Venom, however, is big brass, so it is a much more upbeat, New Orleans, "there's a party in the streets cuz ya poppin that pussy Jacko!" kind of sound to it.

POP THAPOP THAPOP POP THAT PUSSAY
HEEEEEYYYY POP THAT PUSSSAAAAAYYY

BigPapiEnFuego
09-11-2009, 02:48 PM

Amazing. Sigging this wouldn't even do it justice. I want to tag it in my own blood on the walls of the hospital he works in.

Emmz
09-11-2009, 02:48 PM
That's a song? : \

The_Destroyah
09-11-2009, 02:50 PM
That's a song? : \

yeah? you havent heard it? older rap song still brings back memories of my 6th birthday...

Dipre
09-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Amazing. Sigging this wouldn't even do it justice. I want to tag it in my own blood on the walls of the hospital he works in.

Hahahahahahahah.

Wow, that's a really really good one.

(Seeing as i can't say any of my signature phrases anymore lest Crespo, Coco or Kilo jump at me ready to slit my throat)

Emmz
09-11-2009, 03:18 PM
yeah? you havent heard it? older rap song still brings back memories of my 6th birthday...

Yeah I've heard it, but I didn't know it was a song. Creepy.

mvp 78
09-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Speaking of Metalocalypse, Dethalbum II leaked yesterday. It's pretty good. Brendan Small is a hell of a guitar player. Should be pretty interesting to actually see them in person when I do in October. I'm going to be there more for Mastodon and High on Fire, but Dethklok should be sick too

The first record sounded slower than the tv version. I can't say I've listened to it more than a few times though.

I'm pretty big on Neurosis, Death, Sepultura, Mastodon, Bolt Thrower, At the Gates, Slayer. I've tried my darndest to like Isis, but I've always been underwhelmed by their albums.

Lately I've been listening to a lot more stoner rock and stoner metal (i.e. Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Electric Wizard)

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-12-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm pretty big on Neurosis, Death, Sepultura, Mastodon, Bolt Thrower, At the Gates, Slayer. I've tried my darndest to like Isis, but I've always been underwhelmed by their albums.

Ah yes. Everyone knows that if you don't like Slayer, you aren't a metal fan.

Sepultura released three good-great albums (BtR being really fucking great). Chaos A.D. and everything after is terrible.

Emmz
09-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Mastodon is pretty much beast, and yeah, Slayer rocks, one of my fav metal bands ever, definitely

Raining Blood is one of the best metal bands of all time, every song off there is great

Youk Of The Nation
09-12-2009, 11:00 PM
I'd have to say my favorite metal is mercury, because it is the only metal that exists in liquid form at room temperature. It's an interesting element.

Oh, tungsten too.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-12-2009, 11:00 PM
@ Emmz: Think you meant album.

The true Slayer gem is Hell Awaits.

Emmz
09-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Yes, I did lol, metal album of all time, thank you!

And I think Hell Awaits is good, but better than Raining Blood idk, Raining Blood, which is actually called Reign In Blood, I always call it Raining Blood though, oh well, has "Raining Blood" and "Angel of Death" and "Jesus Saves" and "Piece By Piece" etc etc etc etc. Great album

I love Hell Awaits too, though, don't get me wrong!

Emmz
09-12-2009, 11:15 PM
I'd have to say my favorite metal is mercury, because it is the only metal that exists in liquid form at room temperature. It's an interesting element.

Oh, tungsten too.

Lol you made a funny. Why no love for Nickel?

Youk Of The Nation
09-12-2009, 11:26 PM
I almost choked to death on a couple nickels once. I think that has biased me.

Emmz
09-12-2009, 11:27 PM
I personally think that Lead is overrated, too many people with their Pb posters

mvp 78
09-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Ah yes. Everyone knows that if you don't like Slayer, you aren't a metal fan.

Sepultura released three good-great albums (BtR being really fucking great). Chaos A.D. and everything after is terrible.

Beneath the Remains is pretty good, but I definitely prefer Chaos A.D. and Arise (which is one of my all time favorites). Roots is half good and half bad. I never bothered to listen to anything after that as I've only read poor reviews.

Emmz
09-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Has anyone ever heard Alice In Chains' glam metal stuff? It's actually not that bad considering that it's glam metal

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Beneath the Remains is pretty good, but I definitely prefer Chaos A.D. and Arise (which is one of my all time favorites). Roots is half good and half bad. I never bothered to listen to anything after that as I've only read poor reviews.
Ugh Roots. Painful fucking album.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I must randomly say right now as I listen to them that Nile is amazing.

That is all.

Emmz
09-14-2009, 03:44 PM
I like Nile, some hardcore stuff

mvp 78
09-15-2009, 09:21 AM
I've only heard "In Their Darkened Shrines" is there another album I should check out?

Emmz
09-15-2009, 10:38 AM
They do a couple good before and everything after is pretty good as well IMO

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Wow, so Defenders Of The Faith is pretty fucking good. One of the few (Halford) Priest albums I hadn't heard yet. Probably my second favorite behind Painkiller.

Emmz
09-15-2009, 11:03 AM
For me it goes

British Steel
Screaming For Vengeance
Painkiller
Ram It Down
Defenders Of The Faith

msubulldogs21
09-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Haste the Day

Enough said.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Ram It Down's another one I haven't heard. SFV is pretty overrated.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Haste the Day

Enough said.
gtffo

Emmz
09-15-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't think it is, Hellion/Electric Eye is awesome, so is You Got Another Thing Comin'. Plus, if you're a chick, Prisoner Of Your Eyes is a pretty nice song

BigPapiEnFuego
09-15-2009, 12:26 PM
I've only heard "In Their Darkened Shrines" is there another album I should check out?

Annihilation of the Wicked is my personal favorite, check that one out.

Emmz
09-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Word^

Paradisecity
09-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Not sure if I asked yet if anyone here likes the Sword. They are very redundant, but good.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-16-2009, 02:38 PM
The Sword is awesome. Redundant yes, but still good. I love all those doom/sludge/stoner metal bands. Check out Baroness for something a bit similar. Especially their new album Blue Record, goddamn it's good

BigPapiEnFuego
09-23-2009, 01:20 AM
Just thought i'd mention, new Nile is crazy good. My god it's so good.

mvp 78
12-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Annihilation of the Wicked is my personal favorite, check that one out.

I was listening to this yesterday while working out. Thank you...

Since I'm on the topic, can anyone recommend any good workout jams? Currently, I'll listen to stuff like Hatebreed, the Haunted, but mostly hardcore stuff...

BigPapiEnFuego
12-18-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed that. Check out their new album, Those Whom The Gods Detest.

here are some good work out bands

Tombs. Get their album Winter Hours.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w-WuxMNOvsA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w-WuxMNOvsA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

High on Fire
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kOQ9MiEsaz4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kOQ9MiEsaz4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pig Destroyer
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4c5_ZSH5hIQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4c5_ZSH5hIQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And if you want to get pumped up and bench twice your weight then probably go insane and kill everyone in the gym, there is Godflesh's Streetcleaner album.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rmQwWVNu9Ng&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rmQwWVNu9Ng&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mvp 78
12-18-2009, 01:36 AM
I can honestly say that I've never really given Godflesh much of a chance, but will check them out. Thanks for the Tombs recommendation as I've never heard of them before.

Also, how does everyone feel about World Painted Blood?

Jacoby_Ellsbury
12-18-2009, 01:39 AM
WPB is very good. Their next best behind everything from Hell Awaits to Seasons.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
12-18-2009, 01:40 AM
I was listening to this yesterday while working out. Thank you...

Since I'm on the topic, can anyone recommend any good workout jams? Currently, I'll listen to stuff like Hatebreed, the Haunted, but mostly hardcore stuff...
Exodus:
Fabulous Disaster
Tempo of the Damned
Shovel Headed Kill Machine
Let There Be Blood (much better than the original Bonded By Blood IMHO)

Emmz
12-18-2009, 01:44 AM
WPB is very good. Their next best behind everything from Hell Awaits to Seasons.

World Painted Blood was awesome. I loved it, beats the hell out of their previous shit.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
12-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Everyone take a guess what my favorite track from that is.

You won't get it.

BigPapiEnFuego
12-18-2009, 01:47 AM
I can honestly say that I've never really given Godflesh much of a chance, but will check them out. Thanks for the Tombs recommendation as I've never heard of them before.

Also, how does everyone feel about World Painted Blood?

You're welcome dude, Tombs is pretty unknown. I only found out about them by seeing them open of for Pelican and ISIS, who are completely different. I was blown away by them.

World Painted Blood is pretty decent, I haven't really listened to it though since it leaked in like October. Kinda forgettable in my opinion. But good nonetheless.

Also, fuck yeah Exodus

BigPapiEnFuego
12-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Everyone take a guess what my favorite track from that is.

You won't get it.

pLaYiNg WiTh dOlLs?

Emmz
12-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Snuff?

Jacoby_Ellsbury
12-18-2009, 01:51 AM
nopez

Hate Worldwide. Sue me.

Emmz
12-18-2009, 01:57 AM
Hate Worldwide is a good song, IMO. Just because it was the single that was promoted the most, doesn't mean that it isn't a good song. I preferred Snuff to the others, personally.

BigPapiEnFuego
12-18-2009, 01:59 AM
Hate Worldwide? lolol I used to hate that song. The lyyrics are so cheesy all I could do is lol. But I like some of the riffs. The intro is sick.

I personally really like Beauty Through Order, the riffs are so good in that one. The 2nd half is win

Jacoby_Ellsbury
12-18-2009, 02:04 AM
Snuff is one of the bottom three IMO. With Americon and Beauty Through Order.

I agree that the 2nd half of Beauty is win. It's the first part that sucks.

Emmz
12-18-2009, 02:07 AM
Like how it gets right into the solo at the beginning of Snuff, personally.

Emmz
12-18-2009, 02:27 AM
Btw, I hated Americon. Only track I had a dislike for. Not just because it had a stupid message, but because it was a boring song.

mvp 78
01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
After giving it a few spins, A World Painted Blood is definitely their best album since Seasons in the Abyss. Not amazing, but decent.

TedWilliams101
01-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Melodic, not dark metal isn't too bad (it there really is such a thing). When it comes to "hardcore" and dark metal, I can't stand it. There is enough suffering and darkness in the world, I don't want it anywhere near my music or soul. Some listen to music to "rock", music for me is an escape to somewhere more beautiful.

On a side note, my sister listens almost exclusively to dark, depressing music and it never helps make her less anxious or happy. I'm not sure I'll ever understand it.

BigPapiEnFuego
01-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Melodic, not dark metal isn't too bad (it there really is such a thing). When it comes to "hardcore" and dark metal, I can't stand it. There is enough suffering and darkness in the world, I don't want it anywhere near my music or soul. Some listen to music to "rock", music for me is an escape to somewhere more beautiful.

On a side note, my sister listens almost exclusively to dark, depressing music and it never helps make her less anxious or happy. I'm not sure I'll ever understand it.

Sounds like you need some Torche, heavy but fun metal.

Glad this thread got dragged up. New High On Fire song debuted today. Probably gonna be the best metal album of the year.

http://stereogum.com/archives/new_high_on_fire__frost_hammer_stereogum_premiere_ 108881.html

Spudboy
01-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Sounds like you need some Torche, heavy but fun metal.

Glad this thread got dragged up. New High On Fire song debuted today. Probably gonna be the best metal album of the year.

http://stereogum.com/archives/new_high_on_fire__frost_hammer_stereogum_premiere_ 108881.html

No disrespect meant, but you actually enjoy that?

Dipre
01-13-2010, 10:39 PM
This will not end well.

Spudboy
01-13-2010, 10:39 PM

Careful now, you'll be labeled "Old Timey".;)

BigPapiEnFuego
01-13-2010, 10:40 PM
No disrespect meant, but you actually enjoy that?

Yes, why?

Dipre
01-13-2010, 10:40 PM
*Grabs popcorn*

Jacoby_Ellsbury
01-13-2010, 10:41 PM
You know, I never gave Black Sabbath much of a chance before. Never disliked them or anything, but they always sort of merely existed to me and I never bothered to really check them out.

Notice much of that is in past tense. Master of Reality is a really fucking good album (much better/heavier riffs than I expected). Paranoid is next.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
01-13-2010, 10:42 PM

You need thrash. It's many multiples more high energy and intense than it is depressing or anything.

Spudboy
01-13-2010, 10:42 PM
This will not end well.

No, to each his or her own.

I have no problem with people listening to music that I have no appreciation for. As long as I am not forced to hear it. I don't like opera, either.

BigPapiEnFuego
01-13-2010, 10:43 PM
You know, I never gave Black Sabbath much of a chance before. Never disliked them or anything, but they always sort of merely existed to me and I never bothered to really check them out.

Notice much of that is in past tense. Master of Reality is a really fucking good album (much better/heavier riffs than I expected). Paranoid is next.

Been getting into them a lot too. Master of Reality is amazing. Volume 4 is pretty good also, so is Sabbth Bloody Sabbath.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
01-13-2010, 10:45 PM

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/40bcbdc08f7c368b344509640ec6a2a1/2565862.jpg

TedWilliams101
01-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Careful now, you'll be labeled "Old Timey".;)

I'm 22 and some people look at me funny when I prefer Jazz and classical over pop and rock. Youth today don't appreciate good music. I've had people call it "boring", "gay", "a*s pirate music", "old timer" music, "unhip", "busy", blah blah blah. <_<

People need to remember that music isn't about impressing people with "skillz" or toughness, it's supposed to come from the "heart" and "mind", not fists and penises (or c*nts).

Jacoby_Ellsbury
01-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Youth today don't appreciate good music.
o hai howd u like to lose an arm

TedWilliams101
01-13-2010, 10:48 PM
You need thrash. It's many multiples more high energy and intense than it is depressing or anything.

I'm not so sure. See, I like music with coherence and people who actually know how to play their instruments. Thrash is just too much... noise.

Spudboy
Yes, why?

Good.

As I said, no disrespect meant.

BigPapiEnFuego

I have no problem with people listening to music that I have no appreciation for. As long as I am not forced to hear it. I don't like opera, either.

Then why say "No disrespect meant, but you actually enjoy that?". Why not just keep your mouth shut? Putting no disrespect infront of something doesn't make it respectful. I can say "with all do respect, fuck you" but the point still stands, fuck you. Right? And no I don't actually mean fuck you, because I know damn well I'll probably get banned for that and you'll get off with nothing as always, along with Dipre.

TedWilliams101
o hai howd u like to lose an arm

I'm not singling anyone one out. :rolleyes:
:lol:

Jacoby_Ellsbury
01-13-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm not so sure. See, I like music with coherence and people who actually know how to play their instruments. Thrash is just too much... noise.
Thrash people don't know how to play their instruments?

This is news to me.

TedWilliams101
01-13-2010, 10:52 PM

Opera's not terrible, although the vibrato some of the singers use makes me feel like I've got "shaken baby syndrome" after a few versus.

Dipre
01-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Then why say "No disrespect meant, but you actually enjoy that?". Why not just keep your mouth shut? Putting no disrespect infront of something doesn't make it respectful. I can say "with all do respect, fuck you" but the point still stands, fuck you. Right? And no I don't actually mean fuck you, because I know damn well I'll probably get banned for that and you'll get off with nothing as always, along with Dipre.

But why am i in the middle of this one?

I did nothing. Jesus Christ.

Spudboy
01-13-2010, 10:53 PM

I think you are over reacting. I just don't like that sound. You probably don't like what I listen to either. Big deal. And I did not mean to insult you. You like what you like. That is your right.

I was hoping that you would express why you find this form of music so enjoyable so I could have a better understanding. That's all. I meant no condensation.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
01-13-2010, 10:55 PM
Why is any music enjoyable?

BigPapiEnFuego
01-13-2010, 10:56 PM
People need to remember that music isn't about impressing people with "skillz" or toughness, it's supposed to come from the "heart" and "mind", not fists and penises (or c*nts).

Just stop talking. Please. You're making yourself look bad. Go try to learn a thrash song. Try it. Those are all musicians who practiced for a long time, many of whom studied classically. It's all composed of scales, chords, arpeggios, all of which are used in every other form of music.

Listen to something like Musical Death by Testament. Here's a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9RIk53Atmw

That's not noise. It sounds like they know how to play their instruments, and it sounds coherent.

Or how about Orion by Metallica, composed by a bassist who was orignially classically trained on Piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7kfD4lsy4o

listen to the middle section.

TedWilliams101
01-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Thrash people don't know how to play their instruments?

This is news to me.

Well, not to any standard I'm used to. :( I'll admit, they are very good at... doing what they do...

That being said, I'm sure there are some thrash "musicians" (:blink:) that know what they are doing and can play other genres, but I'd be surprised if it's more than maybe 1&#37; of the genre.

A good thing to note, music to me is more than just something to listen to. I rarely can go a day without listening to music/playing. My ipod goes absolutely everywhere with me and I almost always have music rattling around in my head while I'm walking around.

BigPapiEnFuego
01-13-2010, 11:01 PM
I think you are over reacting. I just don't like that sound. You probably don't like what I listen to either. Big deal. And I did not mean to insult you. You like what you like. That is your right.

I was hoping that you would express why you find this form of music so enjoyable so i could have a better understanding. That's all. I meant no condensation.

Alright fine. I might have taken that the wrong way. My bad. I guess I will explain why I find that certain form of music enjoyable. I like the musicianship. Someone looking at it from the outside would probably listen to it and not think much of it, but there is plenty of complex guitar work, drum work and bass work that I find interesting in things like this. I like listening to stuff like this because I like to play instruments on my own and like things I can challenge myself with. Also it's just fun music to listen to. Going to see things live like this is a spectacle. The intensity, the loudness, their ability to play well even live, the energy are all things I love.

Dipre
01-13-2010, 11:02 PM
I still need to ask why the fuck did i get dragged into this?

What the fuck did i do?

I wanna know.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
01-13-2010, 11:02 PM
A good thing to note, music to me is more than just something to listen to. I rarely can go a day without listening to music/playing. My ipod goes absolutely everywhere with me and I almost always have music rattling around in my head while I'm walking around.

As with me. I have an 8G mp3 player that is full to the brim and is used multiple times daily. I also actually post, often, on a music forum, and have submitted my fair share of reviews. So I'd say I'm somewhat of a music fan.

BigPapiEnFuego
01-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Well, not to any standard I'm used to. :( I'll admit, they are very good at... doing what they do...

That being said, I'm sure there are some thrash "musicians" (:blink:) that know what they are doing and can play other genres, but I'd be surprised if it's more than maybe 1% of the genre.

You are intensly condescending. Wow. Refer to my post.

That's nice that music is just more than something for you to lsiten to. Same with me. All I do all day is listen to music. I go to concerts of these bands as often as I can. I play their stuff on my own and jam to it with people. It's what I live. The fact you can be like " "musicians" (:blink:) " is fucking insulting.

BigPapiEnFuego
01-13-2010, 11:06 PM
I still need to ask why the fuck did i get dragged into this?

What the fuck did i do?

I wanna know.

"This will not end well."

"*Grabs popcorn*"

Why did you drag yourself in? You had no reason to post inciteful stuff like that. You could of just as easily not even posted in here if you are not going to contribute to it.

Dipre
01-13-2010, 11:08 PM
"This will not end well."

"*Grabs popcorn*"

Why did you drag yourself in? You had no reason to post inciteful stuff like that. You could of just as easily not even posted in here if you are not going to contribute to it.

First of all, the first comment was meant to warn Spudboy you would flip the fuck out, which you did, the second one was expecting the ensuing shitstorm, which happened.

Just chill the fuck out. It's music, you like what you like and they like what they like.

BigPapiEnFuego
01-13-2010, 11:13 PM
First of all, the first comment was meant to warn Spudboy you would flip the fuck out, which you did, the second one was expecting the ensuing shitstorm, which happened.

Just chill the fuck out. It's music, you like what you like and they like what they like.

I didn't flip out. If you think that's flipping out then lol. I thought his comment was condescending, It's usually expected when someone says something like "no disrespect" or "With all due respect" or I don't mean to be an asshole but", which is what i simply stated in the 2nd part of my post.

TedWilliams101
01-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Just stop talking. Please. You're making yourself look bad. Go try to learn a thrash song. Try it. Those are all musicians who practiced for a long time, many of whom studied classically. It's all composed of scales, chords, arpeggios, all of which are used in every other form of music.

Your talking to somebody who spent his youth Idolizing Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, etc etc. I spent years learning shred and then I did what most do... I moved on. As someone who spent a couple years at Berklee, it's a very common progression. Just about every "shred" head I knew moved on to modern rock, fusion, jazz, etc.

Now, I did watch those clips and I'm completely not saying Metallica is terrible or can't play. Metallica (Iron Maiden, etc) was a pioneer of the metal genre. It's certainly better than A LOT of music out there. I'm far more likely to listen to this type of metal over any pop or rap. But as music, it's just... stale?

Call me a jazz snob, but sweep arpeggios and phrygian major runs don't impress me very much, nor do they sound all that pleasant (especially with heavy distortion and terrible tone). Yngwie's first album was great, it was original (aside from Ritchie Blackmore), had some good ideas and his tone isn't too bad. The problem is he never went anywhere and it got old, fast. I know it can be said about every genre, there are plenty of "jazz" musicians who suck, but I find there is a lot less over all talent (interesting ideas/passion) in the metal/grunge/trash/pop genres.

I don't really enjoy that genre, some of the very top material is "fun" to listen to on a blue moon, but any more and it gets old and you end up with a head ache. I'm not saying that it's not music worthy to listen to, I just don't like it.

Dipre
01-13-2010, 11:17 PM
I didn't flip out. If you think that's flipping out then lol. I thought his comment was condescending, It's usually expected when someone says something like "no disrespect" or "With all due respect" or I don't mean to be an asshole but", which is what i simply stated in the 2nd part of my post.

Dude, he was literally asking you why do you enjoy that music. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anyways, i'm done, man. There's no reason to fight about music. At all.

BigPapiEnFuego
01-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Meh, fuck it.

TedWilliams101
01-13-2010, 11:22 PM
You are intensly condescending. Wow. Refer to my post.

That's nice that music is just more than something for you to lsiten to. Same with me. All I do all day is listen to music. I go to concerts of these bands as often as I can. I play their stuff on my own and jam to it with people. It's what I live. The fact you can be like " "musicians" (:blink:) " is fucking insulting.

I'm just having some fun. The reason why people can get heated about music is because it is so personal. I have an extremely deep passion for beautiful music (pretty much everything apart from metal, pop, and rap) while you an extremely deep passion for metal music. We have vastly different tastes and views and because it is so personal to us, we can get heated defending our tastes.

I'll admit, my post certainly read as heated and condescending and it was intentional. I'm extremely biased and emotional about what I consider good music and good musicians. Just don't take it very seriously, as one musician to another, you should know how ridiculous we can be.

BigPapiEnFuego
01-13-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm just having some fun. The reason why people can get heated about music is because it is so personal. I have an extremely deep passion for beautiful music (pretty much everything apart from metal, pop, and rap) while you an extremely deep passion for metal music. We have vastly different tastes and views and because it is so personal to us, we can get heated defending our tastes.

I'll admit, my post certainly read as heated and condescending and it was intentional. I'm extremely biased and emotional about what I consider good music and good musicians. Just don't take it very seriously, as one musician to another, you should know how ridiculous we can be.

Yes we can be ridiculous, I agree with you. It is a very personal thing, and a very important thing for some people. That's why I get heated.

Spudboy
01-13-2010, 11:25 PM

Listen to something like Musical Death by Testament. Here's a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9RIk53Atmw

That's not noise. It sounds like they know how to play their instruments, and it sounds coherent.

I liked this song. Although, that guy singing was flat too often. I'm a sucker for 'weeping power chords".

Or how about Orion by Metallica, composed by a bassist who was orignially classically trained on Piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7kfD4lsy4o

listen to the middle section.

Not my favorite song by them. But I must say, Metallica has always been nice to me (seriously).

Alright fine. I might have taken that the wrong way. My bad. I guess I will explain why I find that certain form of music enjoyable. I like the musicianship. Someone looking at it from the outside would probably listen to it and not think much of it, but there is plenty of complex guitar work, drum work and bass work that I find interesting in things like this. I like listening to stuff like this because I like to play instruments on my own and like things I can challenge myself with. Also it's just fun music to listen to. Going to see things live like this is a spectacle. The intensity, the loudness, their ability to play well even live, the energy are all things I love.

These are the same reasons I like music. Although, I suck at playing any instrument.

Music is an essential element of life. In whatever form you enjoy.

Spudboy
01-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Obviously, I have some work to do on my multi-quoting!

TedWilliams101
01-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Yes we can be ridiculous, I agree with you. It is a very personal thing, and a very important thing for some people. That's why I get heated.

I try to hold myself back, because you really don't want to see me do a full musical critique of Testiment/Musical Death. Unfortunately, I do have quite a background with that type of music and I'd rather forget about it. :( I've moved on and I'll like the new view.

Honest question though, do you ever get headaches from that kind of music?

BigPapiEnFuego
01-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Honest question though, do you ever get headaches from that kind of music?

Haha nope. In fact i used to lay in bed with headphones on and fall asleep to stuff like Tool's Lateralus, Metallica's Master Of Puppet's and Mars Volta's France The Mute Album and a lot of ISIS.

bsox0407
01-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Haha nope. In fact i used to lay in bed with headphones on and fall asleep to stuff like Tool's Lateralus, Metallica's Master Of Puppet's and Mars Volta's France The Mute Album and a lot of ISIS.

I listen to really loud music and fall asleep to. I did last night actually.

Spudboy
01-14-2010, 12:20 AM
By the way.

I would like to publicly apologize to BPEF.

At some point last summer I said something stupid and insulting to you. I don't remember what I said or when I said it. But I remember feeling regretful about it.

I said it on a public forum so I think it is appropriate to apologize on a public forum.

Whatever I said, I'm sorry.

BigPapiEnFuego
01-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Spud, don't worry about it. It's alright, it's forgotten. I'd like to apoligize about overreacting earlier to your post. I misunderstood the context of it and let my passion get the best of me.

The_Destroyah
01-14-2010, 12:50 AM
thats really touching fellas, it literally brought me to tears.

TedWilliams101
01-14-2010, 12:56 AM

:lol: I have a friend who does the same. As for sleep, I actually can't fall asleep without music. I tend to listen to more calming music, though. Some of my personal favorite "sleep" music is U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (middle of the CD is very relaxing), Jim Hall and Pat Metheny duo, Pat Metheny "One Quiet Night" (solo acoustic), Mike Stern "Voices", Dave Brubeck Quartet, and if I'm really in the mood Grateful Dead or Bruce Hornsby.

I literally drive myself insane when I don't have music. I can't spend 5 minutes in my car without music (I HATE cell phones in my car) and get easily agitated if someone is talking while I'm trying to enjoy the music. I've become dependent on listening to music to fall asleep. Just last week my headphones finally gave way and I had to sleep without music. Needless to say, I barely got any sleep.

Spudboy
01-14-2010, 01:05 AM
:lol: I have a friend who does the same. As for sleep, I actually can't fall asleep without music. I tend to listen to more calming music, though. Some of my personal favorite "sleep" music is U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (middle of the CD is very relaxing), Jim Hall and Pat Metheny duo, Pat Metheny "One Quiet Night" (solo acoustic), Mike Stern "Voices", Dave Brubeck Quartet, and if I'm really in the mood Grateful Dead or Bruce Hornsby.

I literally drive myself insane when I don't have music. I can't spend 5 minutes in my car without music (I HATE cell phones in my car) and get easily agitated if someone is talking while I'm trying to enjoy the music. I've become dependent on listening to music to fall asleep. Just last week my headphones finally gave way and I had to sleep without music. Needless to say, I barely got any sleep.

Brubeck?

Did someone say Brubeck?

I grew up listening to Brubeck during the early 60s!

In fact, one of the best gifts ANYONE ever gave me was "Take Five" on CD.

TedWilliams101
01-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Brubeck?

Did someone say Brubeck?

I grew up listening to Brubeck during the early 60s!

In fact, one of the best gifts ANYONE ever gave me was "Take Five" on CD.

I LOVE Dave Brubeck, his quartet was AWESOME. Time Out is one of my all-time favorite jazz albums. I absolutely love all the classical influences in his music and the odd meters are so much fun.

mvp 78
01-26-2010, 09:56 AM
http://img.sharedmusic.net/files/pics/917/916270/img_1_th.jpg
so good...

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-07-2010, 11:19 AM
I don't know if I listened to them too much and just got tired of them or I've just discovered better and more intense stuff (like Nile), but Slayer's really lost their shine with me. Reign in Blood just sounds bland in comparison to things like Shovel Headed Kill Machine, Annihilation of the Wicked, Those Whom the Gods Detest, Schizophrenia, etc..., SOH and Seasons bore me... Haunting the Chapel, Hell Awaits, and WPB are the only ones I still give a shit about.

I think Overkill's replaced them as my top thrash band, with Exodus and Destruction being close seconds.

mvp 78
09-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't know, Bobby Blitz's vocals just ruin Overkill for me.

In terms of older bands, Testament and Obituary seem to really stand the test of time. I love Slayer, but I can understand why some people don't like South of Heaven even though it's one of my favorites.

Also, see

http://purerockradio.org/requests/pictures/Death-Individual-Thought-Patterns.jpg

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I like Testament's newer stuff better. The Gathering is godly and Formation of Damnation is really fucking good, Low is surprisingly good considering how little talk it gets.

Bobby makes Overkill IMO, he sounds like Brian Johnson on acid lol. The only albums where his vocals were grating were Under the Influence, The Years of Decay (even though the album rules) and ReliXIV (partially due to the terrible production).

mvp 78
09-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Some Overkill songs are ok, but I have trouble getting through a whole album. Lots of people love Tanking Over, but there's only 2 or 3 songs on it that I enjoy.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Speaking of Destruction, anyone heard these guys? Really high energy thrash band from Germany that kicks Kreator square in the balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDzzIVV3Sbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGM1tuQZIoA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln6l6odFp3A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TrFwFs11Jo

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Has anyone heard Iron Maiden's newest? Surprisingly good.

TALK METAL WITH ME

mvp 78
08-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Anyone else excited for the new Mastodon?

Waiting on the new Baroness as well.

Boggs Chicken Dinner
09-13-2011, 09:49 PM
MAJOR metal head here, and a bass player as well.

Looking forward to hearing the new Anthrax and Alice Cooper albums soon. I actually met Joey Belladonna a few months back, hell of a nice guy. I was wearing a Red Sox jacket when I met him, and he's basically the only Anthrax member who's not a Yankee or baseball fan.

Speaking of which, the Big 4 show is being played at Yankee Stadium tomorrow night, I believe.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-13-2011, 09:50 PM
New Anthrax is really good, although if you're expecting another Among the Living you'll be disappointed.

Boggs Chicken Dinner
09-13-2011, 09:57 PM
New Anthrax is really good, although if you're expecting another Among the Living you'll be disappointed.

I did check out clips on itunes and thought some parts have potential, but yeah, overall i was thinking it sounds more like a follow up to WE'VE COME FOR YOU ALL as opposed to PERSISTENCE OF TIME. Still, only listening to 90 second clips on shitty computer speakers, and I'll get a copy this weekend.

The new Alice Cooper, though, sounds VERY promising. The thing with Alice though is he's not about metal for me, more a personality I enjoy who plays great songs in several different genres. He's an artist I completely get, I have all his albums.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Anyone else excited for the new Mastodon?

Waiting on the new Baroness as well.

Oh snap. Those are 2 of my favorite bands. New Mastodon seems promising although I thought Curl Of The Burl was horrible. But Black Tongue and Spectrelight where redeeming.

Have you heard some of the new Baroness? If not here is a video of them playing something new live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB1BsnYL2XU

It's the 2nd song, after The Gnashing. The instrument 2nd half of the song is pretty freakin great.

And Boggs, I'm a fellow bass player. How long you been playing?

I should take a listen to the new Anthrax album. Couldn't be more forgettable than Slayer's newer album.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-13-2011, 10:01 PM
I'd agree about the WCFYA comparison. But to be honest, if Joey didn't come back and John Bush had ended up doing vocals for this album, it would have easily been the best Anthrax album with Bush.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
09-13-2011, 10:02 PM
I should take a listen to the new Anthrax album. Couldn't be more forgettable than Slayer's newer album.

As I said, don't go in expecting Among the Living.

Boggs Chicken Dinner
09-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Oh snap. Those are 2 of my favorite bands. New
And Boggs, I'm a fellow bass player. How long you been playing?

I've been playing for almost 19 years. I'm a finger player, so I can do a pretty sweet Geezer Butler impersonation. How 'bout you?

BigPapiEnFuego
09-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Going on 6 years. Finger player also. I bassically worship Geezer :D. And Cliff Burton.

Boggs Chicken Dinner
09-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Going on 6 years. Finger player also. I bassically worship Geezer :D. And Cliff Burton.

Have you checked out the Cliff Burton master bass tracks on you tube? These are Cliff's actual bass tracks by themselves! Here are a few examples, you can search for more yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM0cdYVNXB8

"For Whom The Bell Tolls"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVPCC6V3xRs

"Orion"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PLyTjCPVwQ

"Fight Fire With Fire" (some of the fills during the chorus are insane)

BigPapiEnFuego
09-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Oh yeah, I've heard those. The harmonizing solo during Orion is incredible. Those fills during the chorus of Fight Fire With Fire are just insane though. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It's a shame he is so low in the mix on that album.

Boggs Chicken Dinner
09-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Oh yeah, I've heard those. The harmonizing solo during Orion is incredible. Those fills during the chorus of Fight Fire With Fire are just insane though. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It's a shame he is so low in the mix on that album.

Yeah, the mix is a shame. I've kind of heard those fills over the years, but never realized they were bass! I always wish Cliff would've been mixed like Steve Harris, but then again, with Metallica, it's always about Hetfield's guitar.

The bass solo in Orion (towards the end of the middle section), was actually written by Kirk and was supposed to be his guitar solo. That was one of the last things recorded for MOP, but since Kirk wasn't around, Cliff recorded the solo on bass. I read that in Joel McIver's book on Cliff.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Didn't know that, I always thought Hetfield wrote it. Cool.I'm glad Kirk wasn't around though. It sounds better on bass.

BigPapiEnFuego
09-15-2011, 12:27 AM
I don't know if anyone here likes Opeth, but their new album leaked today. It's pretty good. Very jazz influenced. I'm diggin this

BigPapiEnFuego
09-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Mastodon's new album leaked. It's pretty underwhelming for a Mastodon album to me, but still good. Less of the amazing instrument playing, weird timing signatures, and heaviness. I think it'll grow on me I hope.

mvp 78
09-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Definitely going to snag it when it comes out next week. What I've heard was decent. Oblivion is still in heavy rotation, so I'll probably be happy with it.

v2freak
10-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Metal, hell yes. I'm an axe man, lead or rhythm (actually prefer rhythm). My favorite bands are

Machine Head
Dethklok
Five Finger Death Punch
Iron Maiden
Devildriver
Malefice
Killswitch Engage
All That Remains
Disturbed
In Flames
Scar Symmetry
Mutiny Within
Ekotren
Haste the Day
Trivium
Bullet for my Valentine
Cradle of Filth

As you can see, I went through a metalcore phase. Still headbang to some of that stuff but I'm moving past it. I just bought the collector's edition of Machine Head's Unto the Locust and I'd recommend it to any metalhead out there. It's worth the money.

Not a huge fan of rap-metal, especially Tool, Rage Against the Machine etc generally, Disturbed may be the exception. They're on the border somewhere; they get heavy sometimes but I think they consider themselves hard rock or possibly nu-metal.

User Name?
10-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Tool is not even close to being rap-metal though, and they're very hard to categorize either way.

I like most of the bands on your list, too, specially KSW.

Emmz
10-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Mastodon's new album leaked. It's pretty underwhelming for a Mastodon album to me, but still good. Less of the amazing instrument playing, weird timing signatures, and heaviness. I think it'll grow on me I hope.

Their last album showed some signs of that though, I thought it was still good, just not AS good.

Also, Tool isn't even close to rap metal, I don't even think they've ever done a rap-like song before. It's pretty much just power metal/prog metal.

mvp 78
10-27-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm loving the new Mastodon.

I also like each Tool release more than the previous one.

Also, Neurosis is recording a new record in December!

BigPapiEnFuego
10-27-2011, 08:08 PM
It's about time for new Neurosis. That band cannot fail. I hope they do a tour, that's pretty much the last band on my list to see live.

I was really into that new Mastodon for a week, but damn did it wear off. Only track I still listen to from it is The Sparrow. That song is amazing. I hope that seeing them play some of these new songs live will reinvigorate my love for the album though.

Crack The Skye will always be one of my favorite albums ever though... I never listened to one album so many times in my life.

BigPapiEnFuego
10-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Oh and you all should check out Russian Circle's new album. It's really good

mvp 78
11-13-2011, 07:29 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RX8WM441L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

80's thrashcore at its best.

iortiz
11-29-2011, 03:18 AM
Well, I would classify my favorite metal bands by style.

Heavy Metal

Black Sabbath
Dio
Budgie
Candlemass
Ozzy
Rainbow
Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin

New Wave of British Heavy Metal

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Motorhead

Pop/Hair Metal

Motley Crue
GNR
Poison
Cinderella
Tesla
W.A.S.P
Dokken
Skid Row
Van Halen
Bon Jovi
Ratt
L.A. Guns
Kiss
Aerosmith
Slaughter
Ugly Kid Joe
Quiet Riot
Twisted Sister
Warrant
Night Ranger
White Lion

Thrash/Speed Metal

Anthrax
Slayer
Megadeath
Pantera
Metallica

Rap Metal

Papa Roach
Limp Bizkit
Korn
Linkin Park

Alternative Metal

Beastie Boys
System of Down

mvp 78
11-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Please don't ruin a good metal thread with Ugly Kid Joe and Night Ranger.

BigPapiEnFuego
11-29-2011, 01:39 PM
iOrtiz, I got a recommendation for you. Since you like prog and you mentioned Sabbath up there, I'm sure you'd like Ancestors. They're a newer metal band, in the Sabbath style, but they put out long prog songs. I happened to be listening to them now when I entered this thread.

Here's a track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW4kZ2BQ318

iortiz
11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Well, they are considered metal bands as well. Sure, they do not play death or thrash metal at all, but still they are metal bands. I like those bands.

In fact Ugly Kid Joe play different styles

Genres
Pop/Rock
Styles
Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Pop-Metal
Funk Metal
Heavy Metal

And Night Ranger

Genres
Pop/Rock
Styles
Hard Rock
Contemporary Pop/Rock
Arena Rock
Hair Metal
Pop-Metal
Heavy Metal

On the other hand, if this is a doom/death/thrash/speed Metal thread, I agree, I should erase some bands. ;)

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/night-ranger-p5029
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/ugly-kid-joe-p26096

iortiz
11-29-2011, 01:57 PM
iOrtiz, I got a recommendation for you. Since you like prog and you mentioned Sabbath up there, I'm sure you'd like Ancestors. They're a newer metal band, in the Sabbath style, but they put out long prog songs. I happened to be listening to them now when I entered this thread.

Ohhh... Thanks man, I will try. It's hard to find new bands with the Sabbath style. Or maybe I just stuck in the past :lol:

BigPapiEnFuego
11-29-2011, 02:14 PM
There are a lot of bands with a sabbath style, they just tend to be lumped in the stoner/doom metal category.

Theres Black Pyramid, Electric Wizard, Church Of Misery, Eyehategod, Graveyard, Sleep(their Holy Mountain album has been referred to "as the best album sabbath never wrote", and a few others.

iortiz
11-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Ohhh I will try... Thanks for advise ;)

iortiz
11-29-2011, 04:17 PM

Yeah!!!! they sound awesome. From what I read, in this album 'Of sound Mind', They tend to go for a doomy, psychedelic sound reminiscent of Deep Purple, Meddle-era Pink Floyd and Uriah Heep rather than the amped-up stomp of Grand Funk Railroad or Hawkwind's spacy explorations.

I just put this album in my must-buy-wait-list. :lol:

iortiz
12-01-2011, 01:51 PM
There are a lot of bands with a sabbath style, they just tend to be lumped in the stoner/doom metal category.

Theres Black Pyramid, Electric Wizard, Church Of Misery, Eyehategod, Graveyard, Sleep(their Holy Mountain album has been referred to "as the best album sabbath never wrote", and a few others.

True. I just listened Sleep's Holy Mountain album and it's great but just as you said they tend to play into the doom/stoner style. I was listening it and my girlfriend told me, are you trying to invok some kind of evil? :lol:

mvp 78
12-02-2011, 07:42 AM
Of all the 4th gen Sabbath bands, Electric Wizard rule the school.

boy racer
12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Leviathan's new album is my favorite of the year.

mvp 78
12-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Favorite metal show I've been to:

Napalm Death and Sheer Terror 1996 at Twisters in Richmond.

Show started late as shit and I was there way too early. Ended up chatting with the Napalm Death blokes. Great guys. Sheer Terror (final tour back then) ripped it up. Napalm Death was awesome and played Nazi Punks Fuck Off.

BigPapiEnFuego
12-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Wow that sounds like a great show.

My favorite metal show would have to be when I saw Isis on their farewell tour when they broke up last summer. They played with the Melvins who are also great. Since they were from Boston originally they played 2 concerts there in June and I went to both. It was incredible. On the last night the crowd went so insane that the opening bands came out to the back of the stage and just watched us all freak out haha

mvp 78
12-24-2011, 03:39 PM
The only time I saw Isis was at a hardcore show with Assuck, back when they only had the tape demo. Aaron Turner is a fantastic artist and Jeff Caxide was a cool dude. Don't know why the music never did much for me.

mvp 78
02-29-2012, 06:11 PM
I need to buy the new High on Fire record.

BigPapiEnFuego
02-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Yes, it should be awesome. I liked the new song they released today, and the videos I've seen of live new material was promising.

Bellhorn04
02-29-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm a big Sabbath fan and I just picked up a couple of Tony Iommi's solo albums on ITunes. Pretty good stuff. Glenn Hughes is the vocalist. There's also two songs that Iommi did with Ian Gillan to raise money for a charity.

Emmz
02-29-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm a big Sabbath fan and I just picked up a couple of Tony Iommi's solo albums on ITunes. Pretty good stuff. Glenn Hughes is the vocalist. There's also two songs that Iommi did with Ian Gillan to raise money for a charity.

You are my favorite relatively new poster. Iommis debut solo album with all the guest musicians was my favorite.

Also, Sabbath is recording, I heard a song off of it like a week ago on Sirius, it sounded pretty good.

RedSoxfanforlife305
02-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Not on topic so I apologize in advance, but I also like Belhorn04. I hope you stick around more.

Bellhorn04
02-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Not on topic so I apologize in advance, but I also like Belhorn04. I hope you stick around more.

Thanks folks, and I will definitely be sticking around. I really like this forum.

VA Sox Fan
02-29-2012, 09:29 PM

Ditto! :D

Jacoby_Ellsbury
03-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Overkill's got a new album lined up for late March.

Has it really been two years since Ironbound? Seems like these dudes just pop em out.

Bellhorn04
03-02-2012, 05:57 AM
I'm an old metal fan...most of the stuff I love falls into the classic metal/hard rock categories. Grew up in the Seventies with Purple, Zeppelin, BOC and Sabbath...worshipped all those bands and still do. The resurgence in the Eighties with Scorpions, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Def Leppard was fun. I think Scorpions Lovedrive is one of the great heavy guitar albums, Michael Schenker was on some of the tracks.

Anybody checked out Slash's 2010 album with all the guest vocalists-Ozzy, Lemmy, Chris Cornell, Ian Astbury, the guy from Wolfmother etc. Pretty good stuff.

onlybereaved
04-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Glad I wasn't around when this thread was happening...it's ugly!

IMO there are only 2 metal bands that matter(ed).

Sepultura (obviously with Max only, and excluding anything with a different front man)
Pantera

I am ashamed at 95%of the bands mentioned in this thread! :harhar:

Atreyu? and all of the other eye-liner post-hardcore bands listed = offensive. ;)

mvp 78
04-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Arise and Chaos AD were Sepultura's peak. Roots was horrible which continued on with Max's Soulfly and Cavelera Conspiracy albums.

I like Vulgar Display of Power, but everything afterwards never really stuck with me. Superjoint Ritual was better than anything post Vulgar Display.

onlybereaved
04-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Beneath The Remains >
Vulgar >

ALL Pantera albums are from cowboys to reinventing are untouchable
ALL Sepultura albums w/ Max are incredible

Different eras, but all awesome in their own right/respect. Example...Far Beyond Driven/Roots are Pantera's/Sep's albums that are known in terms of popularity and selling units...But they still aren't bad or watered down.

Soulfly is jokes, but they shouldn't even be brought up - Superjoint most likely appeals to you given it's more of a hardcore feel (which is admittedly what they went for), but it certainly can't touch Pantera in a metal contest by any stretch (opinions aside, that's fact lol)

Slayer is one I will admit should be on the same level as Pantera/Sepultura, but I tend to like them less...I will say that most bands I like are/were influenced by Slayer though.

mvp 78
04-03-2012, 12:21 PM
I like Beneath the Remains as well.

I try to pick up Roots every few years, but it's terrible. Later era Pantera doesn't hold up to Vulgar's high standards.

Two great bands, but you're missing out on a bunch of other stuff. How do you feel about At the Gates or the Haunted?

BigPapiEnFuego
04-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Pantera is one of the most overrated metal acts of all time I think. Damn

onlybereaved
04-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I like Beneath the Remains as well.

I try to pick up Roots every few years, but it's terrible. Later era Pantera doesn't hold up to Vulgar's high standards.

Two great bands, but you're missing out on a bunch of other stuff. How do you feel about At the Gates or the Haunted?

The Haunted Made Me Do It, bro.

They are incredible.

I am so incredibly picky with metal. There are a number of metal bands that I could name that are good...but not on the same level as Pantera/Sepultura/Slayer. Most any good metal band after them, are just spin-offs which where never as good. Most any good metal band prior to them, just didn't do it as well lol.