PDA

View Full Version : Political thread

CrespoBlows
08-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Could we make a seperate thread that required an password/membership? I understand that it's controversial, but people should expect that when talking about a political subject, and should develop thicker skin before entering.

Banning political discussion is just going to make people leave, so why not protect the people who are blissfully happy without politics, and allow those who wish to discuss it, do so?

yeszir
08-17-2008, 03:07 PM
People act like tough guys with the internet as a shield, so political talk on forums almost always gets utterly out of hand and just turns into name calling and baseless statements. From what I've seen, people leaving and being unhappy in the past, on Talksox and on other forums, was not because of the lack of political discussion but because of how it spilled over into everything else and how it led to name calling and insults.

I'm not against starting a political thread with VERY DEFINED rules like no name calling and all statements need to be backed by facts with any broken rules resulting in bans of 1-3 days. Any interest in that?

CrespoBlows
08-17-2008, 03:39 PM
People act like tough guys with the internet as a shield, so political talk on forums almost always gets utterly out of hand and just turns into name calling and baseless statements. From what I've seen, people leaving and being unhappy in the past, on Talksox and on other forums, was not because of the lack of political discussion but because of how it spilled over into everything else and how it led to name calling and insults.

I'm not against starting a political thread with VERY DEFINED rules like no name calling and all statements need to be backed by facts with any broken rules resulting in bans of 1-3 days. Any interest in that?

I agree.

I think bans should be lengthier if the fights spills out into the other forums.

Soxfan#1
08-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Why does there need to be discussion about politics on a Boston Red Sox message board?

CrespoBlows
08-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Why does there need to be discussion about politics on a Boston Red Sox message board?

Why does there need to be discussion about movies on a Boston Red Sox forum?

People talk about politics. If you don't like that, don't look at the thread. You won't be offended.

a700hitter
08-17-2008, 05:39 PM

I'm not against starting a political thread with VERY DEFINED rules like no name calling and all statements need to be backed by facts with any broken rules resulting in bans of 1-3 days. Any interest in that?I am sorry that I stirred this up. I was just goading Example a little. He used to debate these issues at length. I was just trying to re-engage him in the debate. People are very sensitive about their politics. I don't understand why, because all politicians are loathsome. They are the lowest form of whore. They screw us for our money and we don't even have the right to say no. I have no interest in the political forum. Let's keep it at sports.

Soxfan#1
08-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Why does there need to be discussion about movies on a Boston Red Sox forum?

People talk about politics. If you don't like that, don't look at the thread. You won't be offended.

But movie discussion doesn't ignite all the arguments political discussion does.

Mr Crunchy
08-18-2008, 10:22 AM
movie discussions are about fantasy
political discussions may be debating where you spend your time after high school
you do understand that you're going to make yourself available to the draft board next year right?
you do understand our troops are in 7 continents and are overextended and the volunteer army we currently have isnt getting what we need as far as bodies.
so the draft is a live subject that will be discussed come 11/08,after the election.
politics are important,all this other shit is entertainment
stay away if you like but you may want to stick around and learn a thing or 2

schillingouttheks
08-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Registering for the draft was definitely one of the scarier things I've done in my life.

TheKilo
08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
If all we ever talked about was the Boston Red Sox this place would get real boring real fast.

Mr Crunchy
08-18-2008, 02:15 PM
and if this place was full of nothing but sox and pat fans the unmitigated ballwashing without interuption would indeed drive most of us civilians crazy.
strange year for politics
ive always been an admirer of mccain for his personal courage and he sold me on his bipartisan work,he also has no issue ripping into pork laden projects as he has an eye for corruption and the personal integrity to make people listen....
i am a democrat who is pro life @ anti death penalty anti gay marriage but pro civil union
i would never deny a woman her right to kill her fetus as its none of my business unless they make me vote on the subject
if i had to vote on abortion i would have to vote against it being legal and again,thats because theyre making me choose on a subject that may get me sent to hell...i dont want it illegal,i personally dont want it at all...
im for a balanced foreign policy that doesnt pay our enemies to play nice,i despise our policy in the middle east and i think that we should reevlauate our positions on israel egypt and jordan starting today..
i would put the screws to pakistan and saudi arabia big time,i would insist israel leave every inch of conquered territory with the exception of The Golan Heights or they would be left to pay their own bills..I would then make Jerusalem an international city run by the U.N and I would allow Israel to have its capital in Jerusalem... and I would also allow Palestine their capitol in East Jerusalem..
is it fantasy?
well if i was told 25 years ago that the semtex in belfast would be quiet and the police force would become 40% catholic with catholic members of parliament including marty mcguiness and gerry adams i wouldve claimed you nuts....this is reality today...
the mid east needs to be addressed
the african continent needs our help desperatly,not the kind of help we've given iraq mind you but real humanitarian help,real dollars and a new infrastructure to provide roads lites and clean water....take all these fucking dictators,militia godfathers and these psuedo generals and hang them by the 1000s.
we know who are the voices of moderation and who arent over their
we been pimping these nations out and using and abusing them from day 1 of their independence,all they know about white people is rape pillage and lies,time to change this my friends..

i got ideas that are practical,sane and fair
i want to know how our 2 candidates feel about the above