PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else love those "Buy these Christian Albums" Commercials?

TheKilo
10-26-2008, 01:31 AM
I mean, the crowd is so into it it's funny. Scary, but funny.

Coco's Disciples
10-26-2008, 01:33 AM
Myyyyy Goddddddd IS AN AWESOME GOD

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/tumorman/raptorjesus.gif

Thumper
10-26-2008, 02:29 AM
It's definitely scary. To see all those people in an arena it's madness.

It's one thing to have faith in a religion, but Goddamn there is such a thing as too much.

Ps. Is that Raptor Jesus?

Youk Of The Nation
10-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Every time I see someone on TV trying to get religious people to spend their money on stuff, I become a little gladder to be an atheist.

RedSoxRooter
10-26-2008, 09:15 AM
There's really no different between those people and the fanatics at political conventions. Just a bunch of losers who can't control their own lives and rely on others to do it for them.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
10-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Every time I see someone on TV trying to get religious people to spend their money on stuff, I become a little gladder to be an atheist.
+1

Optimist
10-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Myyyyy Goddddddd IS AN AWESOME GOD

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/tumorman/raptorjesus.gif

:lol:

See Red
10-26-2008, 08:09 PM

I'm with you on that one. I've always loved George Carlin's bit on religion...

Religion convinced the world that there's an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do. And there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do or else you'll to to a burning place with a lake of fire until the end of eternity. But he loves you! ...And he needs money! He's all powerful, but he can't handle money

In this case, the last part of that especially.

Coco's Disciples
10-26-2008, 08:19 PM
I don't want to turn this thread into a religious argument, so I'll just say that I totally agree with YOTN and See Red.

The Dustball
10-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow. I think the exact same thing about religion CD, YOTN, SR. People are just wasting their time.

YanksHater213
10-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Religion is overrated.

CrespoBlows
10-26-2008, 09:47 PM
I agree.

See Red
10-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Wow. I think the exact same thing about religion CD, YOTN, SR. People are just wasting their time.

I don't know about "wasting their time" -- if believing in a higher power helps them get through life, then it's not such a bad thing. It's silly when people use it as a crutch, though, or try to force their religion upon others -- or when they even refuse to acknowledge any evidence that doesn't support their beliefs.

The biggest kick I get out of religion is that they can't all be right... somebody's wrong.

Personally, I don't get it. I'd rather take responsibility for myself -- not make excuses like "it wasn't god's will."

Coco's Disciples
10-26-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm cool with people believing what they want, on a personal level. Once you start bringing it into the public and forcing it upon others, I'm against it. As SR said, if it gets them through the night, good for them.

schillingouttheks
10-26-2008, 10:21 PM
I will say one thing: I'm not one to follow religion, but if one is to think about everything that must have happened by chance to create life and the detail of the world that we live in, you have to at least look to the possibility of there being a greater being. Maybe not to the extent that some people believe, but just the possibility that something might be going on.

Gom
10-26-2008, 10:25 PM
You know what's scary? Take away what little education those people have, change it to Islam, and move it across to the middle east. You see what happens there.

What most people don't realize is that it cuts both ways. Every way, actually.

Coco's Disciples
10-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I will say one thing: I'm not one to follow religion, but if one is to think about everything that must have happened by chance to create life and the detail of the world that we live in, you have to at least look to the possibility of there being a greater being. Maybe not to the extent that some people believe, but just the possibility that something might be going on.

The fact that 1st and 2nd base are a perfect enough distance apart that almost every stolen base attempt is a bang bang play is evidence enough of a God.

Right?

schillingouttheks
10-26-2008, 10:30 PM
You know what's scary? Take away what little education those people have, change it to Islam, and move it across to the middle east. You see what happens there.

What most people don't realize is that it cuts both ways. Every way, actually.

I understand where you're coming from, but to say they have a small amount of education is a little short-sighted. I would argue that if someone is to just throw religion out the window even with biological and chemical education, then they are a bit "uneducated" as well.

schillingouttheks
10-26-2008, 10:30 PM
The fact that 1st and 2nd base are a perfect enough distance apart that almost every stolen base attempt is a bang bang play is evidence enough of a God.

Right?

Huh? To answer your rhetorical question... obviously not. It's just something to think about.

Coco's Disciples
10-26-2008, 10:32 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but to say they have a small amount of education is a little short-sighted. I would argue that if someone is to just throw religion out the window even with biological and chemical education, then they are a bit "uneducated" as well.

I would disagree with this. Religion, and God (or a lack thereof) is a personal belief. There isn't evidence either way, so for someone to believe that there is no God doesn't necessarily make them uneducated.

Coco's Disciples
10-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Huh? To answer your rhetorical question... obviously not. It's just something to think about.

Twas but a joke. But you are right in that there are a lot of peculiar instances that make you scratch your head.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
10-26-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm cool with people believing what they want, on a personal level. Once you start bringing it into the public and forcing it upon others, I'm against it. As SR said, if it gets them through the night, good for them.
http://atheistblogger.com/2008/08/01/ballooning-brazilian-priest-gets-darwin-award/

My favorite idiot religious guy story. Though, it says there he was trying to set a flight record, I'm pretty sure the guy had intentions of meeting God or something. Regardless, its still hilarious.

MDF3530
10-26-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't trust any of those Christian musicians.

IIRC, that's how David Koresh got his first followers.

See Red
10-26-2008, 10:38 PM
I would disagree with this. Religion, and God (or a lack thereof) is a personal belief. There isn't evidence either way, so for someone to believe that there is no God doesn't necessarily make them uneducated.

And there's more evidence to suggest that god doesn't exist than there is to the contrary. Though, one shouldn't have to explain why they don't believe in god, the burden of proof should lie with the theist.

schillingouttheks
10-26-2008, 10:38 PM

I worded that wrong. I personally don't believe in God, but I understand fully the arguments for God's existence. Here, let me rephrase what I meant by giving you my personal experience with the matter: Having taken numerous courses on philosophy and the philosophy of religion, I can safely say that some of those arguments really do make sense. On the contrary, I am also a biology major studying pre-med, to be specific. Both hold weight, and I am more swayed by science and the physical, tangible evidence (obviously), but what I disagree with is to so quickly write people off as uneducated because they believe in God to whatever extent they wish. I just believe that people should educate themselves in both the philosophy of religion and biological/chemical science before making stern statements (that's not to say that Gom isn't educated in both areas, just a personal belief of mine).

I will agree that there is no excuse for anyone to press their personal beliefs on someone else. No way.

schillingouttheks
10-26-2008, 10:40 PM
And there's more evidence to suggest that god doesn't exist than there is to the contrary. Though, one shouldn't have to explain why they don't believe in god, the burden of proof should lie with the theist.

Agreed completely. All I'm saying is that after taking certain courses on the philosophy of religion, the theories and arguments for God's existence can be swaying at times. Despite that, I believe to the contrary.

Coco's Disciples
10-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Oh, and...

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj198/EricCartman007/sp709_Christian_Rock_HardAlbum_Cove.jpg
"Your family's black, Token! There's bound to be a bass guitar in your basement somewhere!"

Jacoby_Ellsbury
10-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Hmm, I see no one liked my Darwin Awards link. :(

Jerks.

Coco's Disciples
10-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I worded that wrong. I personally don't believe in God, but I understand fully the arguments for God's existence. Here, let me rephrase what I meant by giving you my personal experience with the matter: Having taken numerous courses on philosophy and the philosophy of religion, I can safely say that some of those arguments really do make sense. On the contrary, I am also a biology major studying pre-med, to be specific. Both hold weight, and I am more swayed by science and the physical, tangible evidence (obviously), but what I disagree with is to so quickly write people off as uneducated because they believe in God to whatever extent they wish. I just believe that people should educate themselves in both the philosophy of religion and biological/chemical science before making stern statements (that's not to say that Gom isn't educated in both areas, just a personal belief of mine).

I will agree that there is no excuse for anyone to press their personal beliefs on someone else. No way.

Word. I fully agree.

Religion's a touchy subject in my family, since my mom's side is crazy Christian and my dad's side is crazy Jewish. Both tried to convert the other. Neither are happy with my decision...<_<

Jacoby_Ellsbury
10-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Religion's a touchy subject in my family, since my mom's side is crazy Christian and my dad's side is crazy Jewish. Both tried to convert the other. Neither are happy with my decision...<_<

HAHA that must have been fun to deal with when you were little...

Coco's Disciples
10-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Hmm, I see no one liked my Darwin Awards link. :(

Jerks.

:lol:It was good, but it also may not have had to do with religion...

schillingouttheks
10-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Word. I fully agree.

Hahaha, my mom's side is Christian and my dad's side is Jewish as well. I lost any respect for the Catholic church I may have had when I heard that when my mom's priest found out that she was marrying a Jew and said to her, and I quote, "If I were the Pope, I would excommunicate you." I mean seriously, what the fuck? Needless to say, my mom and dad agreed to raise me Jewish, but I don't take religion seriously at all. The only reason I knew how to chant my Torah portion at my Bar Mitzvah was because I memorized it on tape. Not because I actually knew what I was saying or what the hell I was doing.

I just say I'm a cashew (catholic-jew).

Coco's Disciples
10-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Hahaha, my mom's side is Christian and my dad's side is Jewish as well. I lost any respect for the Catholic church I may have had when I heard that when my mom's priest found out that she was marrying a Jew and said to her, and I quote, "If I were the Pope, I would excommunicate you." I mean seriously, what the fuck? Needless to say, my mom and dad agreed to raise me Jewish, but I don't take religion seriously at all. The only reason I knew how to chant my Torah portion at my Bar Mitzvah was because I memorized it on tape. Not because I actually knew what I was saying or what the hell I was doing.

I just say I'm a cashew (catholic-jew).

:lol: And that priest is nuts.

Gom
10-26-2008, 11:35 PM
That's not what I meant.

What I meant was that with no formal education, with no ability for fiscal and social upward mobility, religion is the answer for their station in life, with promises of riches in the after-life.

I am not pro or anti religion. It's a personal choice.

What I was saying is that this mass hysteria that is created by such factors, when coupled with no formal education and really, very little hope in life...well....

I am not from that area of the world, but I've been there often. It's much worse than you guys can imagine.