PDA

View Full Version : halp

Jacoby_Ellsbury
11-06-2008, 10:20 PM
So here's what's up... I have to write a rough draft on why the U.S. should lower the legal drinking age (persuasive paper), and it is due tomorrow. As usual, my stupid procrastinating ass saved it for the night before. Anyway, I'm having trouble drawing ideas for my paper, what to argue and all that. Someone want to pitch me some points, help out Jacoby?

For this rough draft, I only need 3 or 4 legitamite points, I'll let my unparalleled BSing abilities take over from there.

YanksHater213
11-06-2008, 10:23 PM
-Kids drink anyways - it happens all over the place. Why bother wasting the police force's time busting 18-20 year olds drinking when they could be out doing more important things.

-A lot of people will say "if they can be in the military and fight for our country, then why can't they drink?

Coco's Disciples
11-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Right, similar to what YH213, courts are packed with "minor in possession" cases and they could be spending time and money on more important things.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
11-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh, one more thing, if someone could give me a general reason for why the drinking age was raised from 18 to 21 in the first place, that would be awesome.

I don't want to google it, who knows what info out there is legit.

CrespoBlows
11-06-2008, 11:00 PM
First of all, the National Minimum Drinking Age Act is unconstitutional. The Tenth Amendment leaves matters such as this one into the hands of the state and local governments. The federal government does not have the right to dictate the drinking age to individual states. The federal government imposes its will onto local governments, by threatening to withhold federal highway funds. One can imagine the precedence that has set.

Second, the Act also violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. Why would a full legal adult, not be privy to the same jurisdiction as any other adult? Eighteen year olds can be executed, conscripted, and be sat on a jury, but are able to be prosecuted for drinking. The contradiction of this matter should be fairly obvious.

Third, from a philosophical note, should the government, in a free society, have the ability to legislate in the matter of personal habits? The government cannot prevent people from committing stupid decisions. It is utopian to believe that prohibition will stop the behavior, and tyrannical for them to try to stop it.

A more feasible solution would be punishing those who hurt others while under the influence. This would promote more responsible drinking.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
11-06-2008, 11:03 PM
First of all, the National Minimum Drinking Age Act is unconstitutional. The Tenth Amendment leaves matters such as this one into the hands of the state and local governments. The federal government does not have the right to dictate the drinking age to individual states. The federal government imposes its will onto local governments, by threatening to withhold federal highway funds. One can imagine the precedence that has set.

Second, the Act also violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. Why would a full legal adult, not be privy to the same jurisdiction as any other adult? Eighteen year olds can be executed, conscripted, and be sat on a jury, but are able to be prosecuted for drinking. The contradiction of this matter should be fairly obvious.

Third, from a philosophical note, should the government, in a free society, have the ability to legislate in the matter of personal habits? The government cannot prevent people from committing stupid decisions. It is utopian to believe that prohibition will stop the behavior, and tyrannical for them to try to stop it.

A more feasible solution would be punishing those who hurt others while under the influence. This would promote more responsible drinking.
I love you. no homo.

Dipre
11-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Also because having a beer in hand makes you look kewl for the ladies B)

Jacoby_Ellsbury
11-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I prefer to give them the beer and get them tanked. For my benefit.

Dipre
11-06-2008, 11:37 PM
I prefer to give them the beer and get them tanked. For my benefit.

Truer words have never been spoken.

CrespoBlows
11-06-2008, 11:55 PM

An unintended consequence of the drinking laws.

MDF3530
11-07-2008, 12:22 AM
I say just plagiarize something off the internet.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/J2_LAYOUTSZ/EDDIE.jpg
"If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."

Make sure to correct all the spelling/grammatical errors and change some words though.

RedSoxRooter
11-07-2008, 08:28 PM
So it was due today, what did you write?

Jacoby_Ellsbury
11-07-2008, 08:34 PM
I took a fair bit from CB's post, and touched on both of YH's points, and came up with some of my own creative stuff. Again it didn't have to be a final draft. Double-spaced, it ended up being around 2 pages (didn't write an intro or conclusion).

Dipre
11-07-2008, 10:29 PM
An unintended consequence of the drinking laws.

But you still look awesome if you're underage and have access to beer.....

But you can look amazingly stupid.......'cause ya get shit-faced drunk and your friends have their way with you :D

Jacoby_Ellsbury
11-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Working on the final draft for this...

Can anyone tell me how to cite sources that are websites (not reference page, but mid-paper) in APA format?

CrespoBlows
11-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Working on the final draft for this...

Can anyone tell me how to cite sources that are websites (not reference page, but mid-paper) in APA format?

easybib.com

RedSoxRooter
11-24-2008, 07:52 PM
*As written by Crespo Blows on the website www.talksox.com in the forum of "Anything Goes" in the thread entitled "halp"?

YanksHater213
11-24-2008, 11:19 PM
the 07 word has a bib wizard...

Jacoby_Ellsbury
11-25-2008, 09:26 AM
the 07 word has a bib wizard...
Don't have 07.

Well that god-forsaken paper is finally over and done with. I now have a full week of Thanksgiving vacation thanks to well-placed classes and teachers taking extended vacation time.