TheKilo
12-28-2008, 01:50 AM
R3orQKBxiEg

TheKilo
12-28-2008, 01:52 AM
qXRdlOvLNeo&

Coco's Disciples
12-28-2008, 01:55 AM
Looks pretty sick. Kilo, have you read the graphic novel?

Cityofchampions33
01-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah, this movie looks fuckin sick.

TheKilo
02-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Reading the graphic novel and holy crap am I stoked for this movie.

yeszir
02-20-2009, 01:31 PM
I think I'm the only person who thinks this movie looks like it's gonna be terrible

TheKilo
02-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Maybe - don't know if the guy who directed 300 was the choice but the story is amazing so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

scottykick
02-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Well I have all the original comics from the mini series from 1986, as well as the absoloute Watchmen graphic novel it is one of the greatest GN of all time, if not the greatest, it is also considering one of the most difficult stories to transfer to a film, but the early looks at it look excellent. Alan Moore the creator of the series is as expected against the film adaption.

See Red
02-21-2009, 04:50 PM
At first I thought it looked awful, mostly because of the blue guy, Doctor Manhattan. I also know nothing about coming books, so...

But I read up on the Watchmen, and now I can't wait. Seems like a great story, and the trailers look amazing the more I see them.

TheKilo
02-23-2009, 11:39 PM
http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

HeadOfSoxNation
02-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Can someone tell me the difference between a comic book and a graphic novel? Is that something nerdy people just call comics? Like when people call whatever you drive your "vehicle"? I'm not one of those people, so what I drive is a "car"...a "vehicle" is what I used to have for my GI Joes (Cobra Nighthawk what's uppppp). And by used to, I mean, like...when I was 22.

TheKilo
02-24-2009, 09:41 AM
I think graphic novels are typically longer than comic books, much longer.

Wiki:

A graphic novel is a type of comic book, usually with a lengthy and complex storyline similar to those of novels, and aimed at all audiences, generally speaking. The term also encompasses comic short story anthologies, and in some cases bound collections of previously published comic book series (more commonly referred to as trade paperbacks).

Graphic novels are typically bound in longer and more durable formats than familiar comic magazines, using the same materials and methods as printed books, and are generally sold in bookstores and specialty comic book shops rather than at newsstands.

BoSox21
02-24-2009, 10:16 AM
A comic is a sitcom, a graphic novel is a movie

TheKilo
03-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Soooooooooooooooo sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Keeper
03-08-2009, 11:19 PM
God, I should not have seen this movie with my family. Should have known better. They crucified me the whole car ride home.

"Too violent... too long... the sex scenes weren't tasteful."

What are we, fucking Puritans?

As for the film, I liked it. A lot. Rorschach is a great character. He's dark, moody, you question his methods, but I guess you can't question his integrity and his commitment.

My only real gripe was the soundtrack. A little too self-indulgent. Some scenes didn't even need songs. Much less songs that invoke The Graduate. The Leonard Cohen version of Hallelujah was a strange choice.

I think I'll check out the graphic novel now.

TheKilo
03-17-2009, 08:47 PM
God, I should not have seen this movie with my family. Should have known better. They crucified me the whole car ride home.

As for the film, I liked it. A lot. Rorschach is a great character. He's dark, moody, you question his methods, but I guess you can't question his integrity and his commitment.

My only real gripe was the soundtrack. A little too self-indulgent. Some scenes didn't even need songs. Much less songs that invoke The Graduate. The Leonard Cohen version of Hallelujah was a strange choice.

Hadn't seen this post until now, but I think if you go see this person who (a) is squeamish or (b) hasn't read the GN, it is going to be very confusing and probably will not take kindly to the violence, either.

The sex scenes may have been over the top, but it's done to prove a point and if you have read the GN you understand it.

The only gripe I have with the soundtrack is the My Chemical Romance cover of Desolation Row at the end, everything else seemed to fit in just right, especially with the scene at the beginning.

Behold the new avatar, totally stole it from another board.

Coco's Disciples
03-17-2009, 08:49 PM
LOL @ Tobias avatar.

TheKilo
03-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Gives new meaning to blueing yourself.

Keeper
03-17-2009, 10:12 PM
:lol:

TheKilo
03-30-2009, 03:32 PM
I think I'm the only person who thinks this movie looks like it's gonna be terrible

You ever end up seeing it?

TheKilo
08-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Totally bought the Director's Cut DVD

The_Destroyah
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I still have not seen it and i actually did read the GN and liked it...and from the sound of you Kilo it atleast was decent if not great.

TheKilo
08-11-2009, 10:12 PM
The graphic novel is far superior but they did a really good job with the movie.

The_Destroyah
08-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Just saw the movie and was impressed, the soundtrack was excellent, the cinematography and effects were quite impressive, and I think it did a very good job of grasping the sociological/psychological/philosophical points in the GN, I do wish that they had gone a little more in depth in developing Rorschach's character by going more in depth in his visits with the Psychologist Malcom Long but I also understand that most people start having problems when a movie lasts too long, and overall they didnt change TOO much and they changed nothing that was absolutely vital to the story, and I happen to think that the movie is one of the better and certainly deeper movies ive seen in awhile, also for those who havent seen it it is on par with Fight Club in the mind fuck department.

jacksonianmarch
08-13-2009, 06:58 AM
I wasnt a big fan. I never read the comic books on it and didnt know the backstory, so I think it took awhile to get for me.

Tripleplay
08-13-2009, 07:07 AM

Too violent? No.

Too long? No.

Sex scenes.... well they were just pathetic and felt like they had no place in the film whatsoever.

I think Rorschach is brilliant but you can question his integrity I'd say but certainly not his commitment, question is, what is he really committed to? :P

I thought the music was quite good actually but it did have a little bit of a "I could have made this kind of montage on YouTube" feel about it, but in a strange way it worked.

Overall the film could have been quite a bit better but because of the characters and the content based on the novel as well as a large portion of the script they pulled it off. Couldn't help being slightly dissapointed and wondering what the Cohen brothers would have done with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8h7N2mVWjk

ms_sox
08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Saw the director's cut last night. 3 hrs was a bit long in this case, but not overly so. Never read the GN so saw it from a completely "no clue" perspective. I'd give it a B- rating...the very beginning was interesting, then it became a little slow/confusing with all the backstory/flashbacks, where I worried I wasn't going to like it at all, and then it became interesting again. So, overall entertaining.

I absolutely loved Rorschach's character, and after big blue's story became evident, he was interesting too. The rest of the characters didn't compel me too much, but they were adequate for the needs of the movie. One thing I appreciated was its pseudo intellectualism...that is, more character depth, more conversation, more philosophy or whatever...going outside of the current mold of lightning-paced action/loud music/brief sound-byte dialogue comic films, if that makes sense.

The sex - meh, boring, not erotic, and I saw no "purpose" to such scenes being drawn out like they were, but they weren't tasteless so I just yawned thru them.
The violence - well, yeah, it was there, but much of it was over-the-top comic style, so all it does is make me giggle.

One funny thing for me: when they first revealed the true face of the actor playing Rorschach, for the rest of the movie I kept thinking "He looks like an anorexic Danny Bonaduce." It was like that w/a lot of the actors..."that looks like...but I'm pretty sure it isn't." :D

The_Destroyah
08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Saw the director's cut last night. 3 hrs was a bit long in this case, but not overly so. Never read the GN so saw it from a completely "no clue" perspective. I'd give it a B- rating...the very beginning was interesting, then it became a little slow/confusing with all the backstory/flashbacks, where I worried I wasn't going to like it at all, and then it became interesting again. So, overall entertaining.

I absolutely loved Rorschach's character, and after big blue's story became evident, he was interesting too. The rest of the characters didn't compel me too much, but they were adequate for the needs of the movie. One thing I appreciated was its pseudo intellectualism...that is, more character depth, more conversation, more philosophy or whatever...going outside of the current mold of lightning-paced action/loud music/brief sound-byte dialogue comic films, if that makes sense.

The sex - meh, boring, not erotic, and I saw no "purpose" to such scenes being drawn out like they were, but they weren't tasteless so I just yawned thru them.
The violence - well, yeah, it was there, but much of it was over-the-top comic style, so all it does is make me giggle.

One funny thing for me: when they first revealed the true face of the actor playing Rorschach, for the rest of the movie I kept thinking "He looks like an anorexic Danny Bonaduce." It was like that w/a lot of the actors..."that looks like...but I'm pretty sure it isn't." :D

Id read the GN if the Philosophy at all intrigued you, it forces the questions of what is the value of human life, especially weighed against the barbaric human nature that society still has? and from a 3rd party, is human life worth saving if it is in fact responsible for its own destruction? and does this fatal flaw in human beings actually make them worth saving? if you watch closely in the movie, and especially if you read the GN, Duality and Symmetry/asymmetry (perfection/imperfection) play a big role both metaphorically and physically. I really like that its a movie that makes you think, not like so many other movies with rather shallow plot lines (not that I care, I still like many of those movies) and I like that its a movie in shades of gray instead of everything being simply black or white. It's a movie that is better the second time you see it, same with the GN its better the second read through.

I also find it rather intriguing that the Misanthrope with the bleakest view of humankind is the only one who truly sees every human life worth saving and that no one life is above another, both Rorschach and The Comedian both see that way despite them seeing the world as a venemous pit.

TheKilo
08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
The way the sex scenes were done, you can probably improve upon, but they absolutely had a place in the movie.

To those who didn't find the movie very entertaining, or didn't understand what was going on, I suggest reading the graphic novel.

The_Destroyah
08-13-2009, 04:31 PM
I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.
this is probably my favorite quote in the movie.

ms_sox
08-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Well I bought GN and read it last night. Keep in mind that I don't read many comics or GN's (I will probably always think of GN's as comics, besides :P ).

The GN version was all right...and the movie does follow it fairly closely except for a few key points, seemed like...but Rorschach was a lot more interesting in the film - on paper he seems flat and dull, but on film w/a good actor the chr. was compelling, sad, amusing, and cringe-inducing. The Oxy-dude and blue-man were better in the GN tho. Anyway...it was interesting but if I hadn't seen the film first I probably would've put the book down half way through...not because it was terrible, but because I find the illustrative & narrative style chosen a bit boring, especially when "interrupted" by long txt-only stuff to provide more background. Distracting when it's supposed to be a GN, imo.

I'd probably like the actual story better in an all-words, novel form.

The_Destroyah
08-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Im sure and actual un-illustrated novel would apease alot of people im not a comic book guy, infact the only comics ive read since i was 12 are the watchmen and V for Vendetta, but I thouroughly enjoyed the watchmen I think it is very thought provoking. but some of it just depends on peoples taste and philosophy is very hard to apease everyone on being that philosophy is at its best contrivesial and disputed.

TheKilo
08-14-2009, 10:41 PM
One thing the movie could have done better is play up the significance of what Veidt did. I feel like the GN does a much better job of showing the magnitude of what he ended up doing, you also see much more emotion out of Veidt in the GN.

The_Destroyah
08-14-2009, 10:44 PM
One thing the movie could have done better is play up the significance of what Veidt did. I feel like the GN does a much better job of showing the magnitude of what he ended up doing, you also see much more emotion out of Veidt in the GN.

yes, and it doesnt show as much of the characters at the newstand, who while seemingly unimportant, really get you to sympathize with "society" and when you see the boy reading the comic, the man at the news stand and the taxi driver all watching their death coming you feel truly sorry for them.

TheKilo
08-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, definitely watching this again.

BSN07
08-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Haven't seen it yet. But thinking about giving it a try tonight:D

Northern Star
04-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Saw it, was kinda neutral about it, watched it again the same day to see if it was just me. Not a bad movie by any means, but not really my thing.