PDA

View Full Version : Rivera Situation: Shocking

RedSox24
10-11-2004, 05:47 AM
this from the ny post.

"Yankee pitcher Mariano Rivera jetted off on a emergency trip to Panama yesterday to grieve for two beloved relatives electrocuted in a freak accident at his estate over the weekend.

The horrific tragedy threw into doubt whether Rivera will be mentally fit to take on the Red Sox in the American League Championship Series tomorrow."

This could be huge,. He could miss game 1 at least, and will certainly not be himself once the series gets underway.

YanksHater213
10-11-2004, 07:11 AM
Sad story for him, I feel bad. But its good from the Sox prespective as we dont have to face one of the best closers ever... but we have owned him this season anyways

stocker323
10-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Rivera is one of the Yankees, that I really have respect for. I don't think he will miss that much time though. He may miss Game 1 or Game 2, but nothing more than that. But, I don't see him being left off the roster.

stocker323
10-11-2004, 08:18 AM
To update, Rivera will be available for Game 1 according to Cashman.

DOrtiz4prez
10-11-2004, 09:09 AM
Geez, that's too bad. It's surprising though that he'll be back for game 1. I kinda doubt that.

sarasoxfan
10-11-2004, 09:28 AM
they do say he'll be back, but even if he is I bet they dont use him, so I think this does help us.

Every thing that can be used as an adbvantage is fair game. I think what happened sounds awful, but he still is among the best so we know he'll be tough whenever he comes back.
But of course, he is human and we have proved that.

His stuff is awlays electrifying, oops, I mean he still has a live wire for an arm, oops. I mean he still is good.

yeszir
10-11-2004, 09:31 AM
A sad story really, my heart goes out to Rivera and his relatives. That said, this is being moved to general baseball.

schillingouttheks
10-11-2004, 09:50 AM
wow, hope everything gets sorted out with him, i have a TON of respect for him. however, not to make this sound bad or anything, but if we dont face rivera, and we win late in a game, yankee fans will just say that we didnt have to face rivera, so we didnt REALLY beat them, and that will piss the living hell out of me. that said, like sarasoxfan said, any advanatage we can use is fair game. as we know, we already dont have our great post-season pitcher in williamson, so they can go without rivera.

although it is kinda wrong to use 2 family deaths of rivera as an advantage... :huh: :wtf:

sarasoxfan
10-11-2004, 10:04 AM
i thought the same thing, about wnating him to play so there would be no excuses.

That said I wouldnt mind him missing a game or two, but as someone posted I looked it up online and they (Cashman) said he wont miss any games.

empireII
10-11-2004, 02:05 PM
I can't believe what I'm reading. Some of you showed some decency and others just said oh well, now lets use it to our advantage. That is very heartless. Some of you need to mature real fast. :thumbdown:

stocker323
10-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by empireII@Oct 11 2004, 03:05 PM
I can't believe what I'm reading. Some of you showed some decency and others just said oh well, now lets use it to our advantage. That is very heartless. Some of you need to mature real fast. :thumbdown:
And some of us continue to come back after being banned.

YanksHater213
10-11-2004, 02:36 PM
OWNED!!

schillingouttheks
10-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by empireII@Oct 11 2004, 03:05 PM
shut up u pathetic excuse for an internet message board poster. my god, just go away, and most of us realized that it was a horrible thing, gave our prayers to the family, and then realized that even though its bad, it is still good we wouldnt have needed to face him, even though he should be ok. you havent changed since coming back, and you still dont get the full posts through your head before you post something in response. but to tell someone like you, its useless. just go back to your hole.

empireII
10-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Look, I will only post here if I feel it's abolutley necessay. I was very insulted by what sarasoxfan was saying about marianos family. Cracking jokes like he was.

YanksHater213
10-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Ill admit, it was funny, but it was disrespectful for Mo's family

CalvnHobs6
10-11-2004, 04:25 PM
It was blatantly disrespectful, joke or not. Draw the line somewhere.

I wish the best for Mariano Rivera and his family in these hard times. Much respect to him if he makes it back in time for Game 1 (which would be ridiculous) That is toughness right there.

empireII
10-11-2004, 04:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/yankees26mlb/rverahome.jpg

CalvnHobs6
10-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Empire: We understand the situation. If you're doing that post as a memorial...fine. If you're using the pics to spite sox fans...that's another story. And in the latter case, THAT would also be disrespectful.

RedSoxRooter
10-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Rivera Situation: Shocking

I just got that..

yeszir
10-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter@Oct 11 2004, 06:16 PM
Rivera Situation: Shocking

I just got that..
Oh. Yea, me too.

schillingouttheks
10-11-2004, 07:21 PM
wow, kind of funny, haha me too.

sarasoxfan
10-11-2004, 07:42 PM
oh my God, yankee fans need help.
I was disrespecting Mo's family? What are you friends with them? I'm not.

I would say if he's not there it helps us, and I will say it again. If he's not there it will help us.

I didnt have anything to do with happened, but it happend. And if it happens to my family and Mo makes a joke I will understand. My God, what is this Polically correct hell. Are you the guy who sends Dave Chappelle e-mails, outraged by his use of vulgar language. Or the guy who boycotts products who advertsie on Howard Stern, who incidentially says a lot worse stuff than this. Get your head out of your ass. I know that's the usual place for a yankee head, but give me a break.

In the meantime I can see that this series is going to be high voltage, oops, I mean have a lot of fireworks..yeah fireworks now that isnt disrespectful. at least I dont think so.

empireII
10-11-2004, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I'm sure if a terrible tradgedy to someone you knew just happend and you were sitting there just making jokes about how it happend, that person would just "understand."

sarasoxfan
10-11-2004, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure about the tides down there, but I hear the current is brutal.

yeszir
10-11-2004, 08:40 PM
Ok. Let's knock it off please. I dont want to split this thread and put some of it in the fights section. No need to be overly PC, but no need to be cruel to make a point.