PDA

View Full Version : There is no Freedom of Speech on Internet forums

TheKilo
06-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Just so you all know. One of the biggest misconceptions out there. Read the ToS.

Talksox.com is meant to be a fun place to talk about the Red Sox, Baseball, and life in general. The following rules aim to uphold this goal by creating a set of guidelines. Please read and respect the rules. If you have any questions or comments, do not hesitate to contact an administrator or moderator. The following are the 10 commandments of Talksox.

1) All posts and threads should be made in appropriate categories. Posts in the wrong categories will be moved by moderators.
2) Talksox.com is a PG-13 website. Anything that works in a PG-13 website works here. Certain words are allowed, and the context may dictate which are deemed appropriate or not. Excessive use of profanity will result in a post being edited by a moderator. The exception to this commandment is the anything goes forum (read about that here)
3) The anything goes forum is the R rated portion of the website. Anything that works in an R rated movie may be posted here. You must join the "anything goes" public group (how to do that) in order to see this forum.
4) Arguments are fine and debate is encouraged, but insults will not be tolerated. Moderators will split off and lock threads that evolve into insults, and posts may be deleted. "Fights and Crap" as a sub-forum no longer exists. Keep it peaceful and cordial and if you must, make your arguments intelligently. "Flaming" will result in warnings and, if necessary, bans of a length to be determined by the moderators.
5) Signatures may not include images or links to commercial products.
6) Spamming, whether by private message, email, or in threads, will result in an immediate ban of a length to be determined by the moderators
7) Most first offenses of any of the above infractions will result in a privately issued warning by a moderator. Repeated offenses will result in a ban of a length to be determined by the moderators
8) Multiple accounts are not allowed, unless prior consent has been given by the administrator
9) Please consider if your post contributes to the community before posting. Redundant threads will be locked and/or merged with existing ones. Please use the search tool to see if a thread has already been created.
10) Have fun, its only a message board

This is in no way meant to be an inflammatory post - just a reminder that you "can't say whatever you want because of freedom of speech on the internet"

Dipre
06-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Just so you all know. One of the biggest misconceptions out there. Read the ToS.

This is meant to be an inflammatory post - just a reminder that you "can't say whatever you want because of freedom of speech on the internet"

Fixed.

TheKilo
06-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Not really.

a700hitter
06-22-2009, 08:31 AM
TheKilo and I rarely agree on anything, but he is 100% right about this. This is a community with rules, which are fairly loosely enforced. We tolerate a lot of latitude with regard to the rules, but the rules exist because adhering to them provides a more enjoyable forum for the members and they foster an atmosphere that promotes good civil debate and hopefully attracts new posters and keeps current members. This too is not meant to be an inflammatory post. This is an internet "community". Many, if not most, of the members have expressed displeasure about certain behavior. We have not knee-jerk banned anyone. Please respect the wishes that have been expressed by the members.

TheKilo
06-22-2009, 08:35 AM
TheKilo and I rarely agree on anything, but he is 100% right about this. This is a community with rules, which are fairly loosely enforced. We tolerate a lot of latitude with regard to the rules, but the rules exist because adhering to them provides a more enjoyable forum for the members and they foster an atmosphere that promotes good civil debate and hopefully attracts new posters and keeps current members. This too is not meant to be an inflammatory post. This is an internet "community". Many, if not most, of the members have expressed displeasure about certain behavior. We have not knee-jerk banned anyone. Please respect the wishes that have been expressed by the members.

Well said.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
06-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Please tell me where images/macros/FAIL disagrees with the ToS.

TheKilo
06-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Please tell me where images/macros/FAIL disagrees with the ToS.

4) Arguments are fine and debate is encouraged, but insults will not be tolerated. Moderators will split off and lock threads that evolve into insults, and posts may be deleted. "Fights and Crap" as a sub-forum no longer exists. Keep it peaceful and cordial and if you must, make your arguments intelligently. "Flaming" will result in warnings and, if necessary, bans of a length to be determined by the moderators.

9) Please consider if your post contributes to the community before posting. Redundant threads will be locked and/or merged with existing ones. Please use the search tool to see if a thread has already been created.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
06-22-2009, 09:11 AM
#4: Moot, because I've already said that if I dare utter the word in an argument, its backed up with substance.

#9: Yeah, there's soooo much that can be contributed to this site in the Anything Goes or Off-Topic Forums.

Even if your points did have any merit, wasn't it documented during the JHB saga that no one follows the rules, and they're all too conscious of the fact that no one follows the rules? Weird time for that to start being enforced, over stupid fucking macros in an off topic sub-forum meant for dicking around.

Youk Of The Nation
06-22-2009, 09:12 AM
You have to be kidding me. This discussion ended last night. Locked.

yeszir
06-22-2009, 05:39 PM
I'll admit that some core rules have not been enforced. Enforcing these rules would and will lead to a better Talksox experience. Stay tuned for more.