PDA

View Full Version : Mets turn down Halladay deal!

High Mileage
07-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Wow, what a bunch of fools!

5:55pm: Jon Heyman at SI tweets that the Mets rejected a package of Fernando Martinez, Bobby Parnell, Jon Niese and Ruben Tejada for Halladay.

Keeper
07-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Because if there's one thing the Mets don't need to address, it's starting pitching. :rolleyes: :lol:

yankees228
07-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I guess they're dead set on not being buyers.

High Mileage
Hopefully Jays' ownership has sat J.P. down and made sure he's not trying to give Halladay away...

BoSox21
wow, they couldve had the two best pitchers in baseball on their staff

pedroia_the_destroyah53
07-20-2009, 06:52 PM
wow, they couldve had the two best pitchers in baseball on their staff

They still would find a way to fail it seems.

Keeper
07-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Omar Minaya needs to get his head examined.

Coco's Disciples
07-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Santana and Halladay...if they made the playoffs, holy shit.

Dutchy
07-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Wow, what a bunch of fools!

I respectfully disagree. I think any team would be a fool to trade for Halladay. Because he singed a multi-year extension with the Blue Jays prior to 2006, if he's dealt to any team he'd have the right to demand that team trades him after the year. And if the team didn't trade him he'd become a free agent.

No intelligent GM would give up their top prospects for a guy who could end up being only a 2-3 month rental.

WhiskeyBreath
07-20-2009, 07:01 PM
, if he's dealt to any team he'd have the right to demand that team trades him after the year. And if the team didn't trade him he'd become a free agent.

I believe he has a NTC at the moment so I don't picture that happening.

Dutchy
07-20-2009, 07:04 PM
I believe he has a NTC at the moment so I don't picture that happening.

He could use his ability to demand a trade as leverage in negotiations for an extension, and if he doesn't get the contract he wants he could demand a trade. Seems a little risky for a team to invest all their best prospects for a guy with that ability.

TheKilo
07-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I respectfully disagree. I think any team would be a fool to trade for Halladay. Because he singed a multi-year extension with the Blue Jays prior to 2006, if he's dealt to any team he'd have the right to demand that team trades him after the year. And if the team didn't trade him he'd become a free agent.

No intelligent GM would give up their top prospects for a guy who could end up being only a 2-3 month rental.

Source? This is the first I've ever heard of it.

BSN07
07-20-2009, 07:07 PM
The Mets are dead set on not trading Fernando Martinez.

yankees228
07-20-2009, 07:22 PM

I heard it somewhere too. Not quite sure where though, but I'm almost positive Dutchy is correct.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 07:27 PM

It's true, and a it's actually been mentioned a number of times here on the site IIRC.

TheKilo
07-20-2009, 07:27 PM
I'd like to see a source is all.

Dutchy
07-20-2009, 07:29 PM

http://zozone.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/07/another_thing_to_consider_abou.html

TheKilo
07-20-2009, 07:30 PM
http://zozone.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/07/another_thing_to_consider_abou.html

From the linked article:

But don't panic. Players rarely invoke that right. Javier Vazquez requested a trade from the Diamondbacks in 2005, but no other player who has invoked that right immediately comes to mind.

schillingouttheks
07-20-2009, 07:32 PM
From the linked article:

Yes, but that would instantly deter a team like Colorado from getting into the negotiations. That said, I don't think Halladay goes there anyway.

I think it's still something to consider, but I would bet you that this specific concern would be handled during trade talks.

Spudboy
07-20-2009, 07:38 PM

Riccardi said it Saturday morning, I believe. I've heard Micheal Holly and Steve Buckley say it too, I believe.

Dutchy
07-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, but that would instantly deter a team like Colorado from getting into the negotiations. That said, I don't think Halladay goes there anyway.

I think it's still something to consider, but I would bet you that this specific concern would be handled during trade talks.

Toronto isn't allowing teams to negotiate with Halladay before a deal is made. Otherwise I'd agree.

schillingouttheks
07-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Toronto isn't allowing teams to negotiate with Halladay before a deal is made. Otherwise I'd agree.

Oh. Well in that case, fuck that shit. Ricciardi is in a good spot - he doesn't need or necessarily even want to get rid of him, and he's perfectly content having Halladay stay. It's a win-win for him - either he gets to keep one of the top pitchers in baseball, or he hauls in quite the package to unload him.

As far as Halladay's right to demand a trade goes, most GMs allow a negotiating window. This seems like one of those rare circumstances where that option could very well be put into play if Halladay doesn't win this year wherever he goes or just doesn't like it. If a team had the opportunity to extend him, it would probably be better for all parties involved. If Ricciardi is that satisfied with keeping Halladay in Toronto, more power to him.

Dutchy
07-20-2009, 07:43 PM
From the linked article:

I think players rarely qualify for the right to demand a trade, and many of the players who do qualify probably wouldn't have to chance to make the money that Halladay could if he became a free agent.

I think the fact that Halladay has the right to demand a trade has got to be a concern for any team that might be giving up years of scouting and development in prospects for what could be 2 months of one pitcher.

High Mileage
07-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Omar Minaya has since denied this report entirely.

Dutchy
07-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Omar Minaya has since denied this report entirely.

LOL

/end thread

Rdsxmbnt
07-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Oh. Well in that case, fuck that shit. Ricciardi is in a good spot - he doesn't need or necessarily even want to get rid of him, and he's perfectly content having Halladay stay. It's a win-win for him - either he gets to keep one of the top pitchers in baseball, or he hauls in quite the package to unload him.

As far as Halladay's right to demand a trade goes, most GMs allow a negotiating window. This seems like one of those rare circumstances where that option could very well be put into play if Halladay doesn't win this year wherever he goes or just doesn't like it. If a team had the opportunity to extend him, it would probably be better for all parties involved. If Ricciardi is that satisfied with keeping Halladay in Toronto, more power to him.

Is it really a win-win? Sure he keeps one of the best pitchers in baseball, but for what? To finish fourth and allow Halladay to continue to keep aging into his mid-30's? It seems that in order to maximize his value he should trade him immediately or the offseason at the latest.

schillingouttheks
07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Is it really a win-win? Sure he keeps one of the best pitchers in baseball, but for what? To finish fourth and allow Halladay to continue to keep aging into his mid-30's? It seems that in order to maximize his value he should trade him immediately or the offseason at the latest.

All I'm saying is that if Ricciardi is more than fine with keeping Halladay, he can't lose. Whether or not you or I think that it's in the team's best interest to trade him is irrelevant. I agree - I would trade Halladay for a king's ransom and allow teams to negotiate with him. That being said, apparently Ricciardi is happy keeping him. He still has next July to trade him if he wants. Barring some substantial injury to him, it would be worth it to see what they can do this off-season and how the team looks next year with Halladay still as the ace. If things go south, trade him in his contract year.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 08:43 PM

With Halladay, the Jays could have one hell of a rotation since they have an actual rotation on the DL.

With that offense, a bullpen arm + their DL pitchers might vault them into contention.

TheKilo
07-20-2009, 08:45 PM
I think players rarely qualify for the right to demand a trade, and many of the players who do qualify probably wouldn't have to chance to make the money that Halladay could if he became a free agent.

I think the fact that Halladay has the right to demand a trade has got to be a concern for any team that might be giving up years of scouting and development in prospects for what could be 2 months of one pitcher.

Not if he goes to a team like Philadelphia or St. Louis or LAA.

26 to 6
07-20-2009, 09:11 PM
I think they might think about moving him in the right deal, but with the other prospects Toronto was asking for this wasn't that deal. I know they love Niese and Tejada, and are pretty high on Parnell. I can't blame them for not making the deal, but Halladay would be a GREAT addition for them. Maybe they can revisit it and try and work something out. Doubtful though.

High Mileage
07-20-2009, 09:12 PM
"That rumor's out there right now, but I'm not going to comment about rumors," Minaya said of the Halladay report.

26 to 6
07-20-2009, 09:15 PM

Exactly, Ricciardi is in a great spot here. And honestly I think there's a better chance he keeps Halladay, unless he's overwhelmed with an incredible package.

But all this talk about Halladay being able to demand a trade after this season if he is moved is being blown out of proportion, IMO. He has a no trade, and must approve a deal to any team. Why would he approve a deal to a team he doesn't want to play for and would only demand they trade him 3-4 months later?

jacksonianmarch
07-20-2009, 09:17 PM
so he could get into a playoff race for the first time in a his life then have the leverage to move on if he doesnt like it

yankeessuck013
07-20-2009, 09:24 PM
I dont think the Mets can add salary. There owners have been hit hard in the $$$ department

26 to 6
07-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I dont think the Mets can add salary. There owners have been hit hard in the $$$ department
Wilpon's got plenty of money in his own personal fortune. If he really wants to add Halladay and make a run money wouldn't stop him. If they weren't so decimated by injuries as it is the addition of Halladay could really push them over the top. Unfortunately if they added him now, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 09:44 PM

Yea I think they said that about Lastings Milledge to. Fucking morons.

Mets will never get him, he is white, Minaya doesnt like white baseball players.

SoxSport
07-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't know if I believe it. The NY media is always floating rumors like this. And Heyman is one of them. Also, Wilpon has lost millions in the Madoff scandal and the Mets have stopped buying salary dumps. Actually, it looks like a good deal for the Mets--which is the tipoff.

P.S. RealGM is floating an unsourced story that Adrian Gonzales will be traded to the Red Sox. Don't believe that, either. The Sox won't be trading their young pitching, with Dice-K down and Penny/Smoltz not showing much lately. I see the Yankees won their third 2-1 game in a row tonite. They are winning even when they don't hit.

Coco's Disciples
07-20-2009, 09:49 PM
The Gonzo thing is just speculation on their part, no story.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Yea I think they said that about Lastings Milledge to. Fucking morons.

Mets will never get him, he is white, Minaya doesnt like white baseball players.

Let's go ahead and call that one a brainfart.

That's a racist comment that has no base.

Even if it's a joke, it's a really bad one.

jacksonianmarch
07-20-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't know if I believe it. The NY media is always floating rumors like this. And Heyman is one of them. Also, Wilpon has lost millions in the Madoff scandal and the Mets have stopped buying salary dumps. Actually, it looks like a good deal for the Mets--which is the tipoff.

P.S. RealGM is floating an unsourced story that Adrian Gonzales will be traded to the Red Sox. Don't believe that, either. The Sox won't be trading their young pitching, with Dice-K down and Penny/Smoltz not showing much lately. I see the Yankees won their third 2-1 game in a row tonite. They are winning even when they don't hit.

thats an indication that they are going to get really hot. Think about it. CC and AJ are ace level pitchers who both had red hot finishes to the season last yr. Andy has always been a second half pitcher and Joba looked really good in his last start. On the offensive side of things, ARod is just heating up and Tex is always a second half player. The O will be there. if the pitching follows their tendencies, then the yankees are gonna win a lot of games

a700hitter
07-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Let's go ahead and call that one a brainfart.

That's a racist comment that has no base.

Even if it's a joke, it's a really bad one.There is a thing called de facto racism. Even though Minaya gives no indication that he is a racist, the Mets do have more Hispanic players than most teams. Some of those acquisitions have been very ill-advised. He's signed some old injured guys to long term contracts like Castillo. No one wanted him.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:01 PM
There is a thing called de facto racism. Even though Minaya gives no indication that he is a racist, the Mets do have more Hispanic players than most teams. Some of those acquisitions have been very ill-advised. He's signed some old injured guys to long term contracts like Castillo. No one wanted him.

I'm going to go ahead and ask you:

Are Johan Santana, Jose Reyes, Carlos Delgado, Carlos Beltran, K-Rod and Jose Feliciano not extremely productive players for the Mets?

Tatis has been good.

Add Luis Castillo and he's the only sucky latino player on the Mets.

Don't you think that instead of de facto racism is the fact that Latin players identify with a Latin GM?????

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 10:05 PM
There is a thing called de facto racism. Even though Minaya gives no indication that he is a racist, the Mets do have more Hispanic players than most teams. Some of those acquisitions have been very ill-advised. He's signed some old injured guys to long term contracts like Castillo. No one wanted him.

Thank you, exactly what i was getting at. Minaya is hispanic and has shown tendencis to sign a ton of hispanic players. All but 5 of their field players are hispanic, that will be even less when the starters come back. My freind and I, who is a Met fan, always joke that Minaya would deal Wright and Murphy for Ortiz and Lowell in a heartbeat.

SoxSport
07-20-2009, 10:06 PM
On Minaya, I think the record shows that the Mets have signed a high number of Hispanic players since Minaya became GM. That's because Minaya is also Hispanic, and he has an advantage attracting Hispanic players. That's important, because Hispanic players are pretty much dominating baseball right now.

The Phillies, by the way, also have an Hispanic GM, and maybe he was instrumental in getting Ibanez to sign with the Phillies.

TheKilo
07-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Fernando Tatis has been awful.

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 10:11 PM

Are Johan Santana, Jose Reyes, Carlos Delgado, Carlos Beltran, K-Rod and Jose Feliciano not extremely productive players for the Mets?

Tatis has been good.

Add Luis Castillo and he's the only sucky latino player on the Mets.

Don't you think that instead of de facto racism is the fact that Latin players identify with a Latin GM?????

Do you watch the Mets? Feliciano blows. Perez, great signing. Castillo and Cora suck. Tatis is a joke. There whole bulllpen from last year. I know Wright, their best player, feels alienated on that club to.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:12 PM
On Minaya, I think the record shows that the Mets have signed a high number of Hispanic players since Minaya became GM. That's because Minaya is also Hispanic, and he has an advantage attracting Hispanic players. That's important, because Hispanic players are pretty much dominating baseball right now.

The Phillies, by the way, also have an Hispanic GM, and maybe he was instrumental in getting Ibanez to sign with the Phillies.

Thank you, logic is strong with you.

Fernando Tatis has been awful.

No he hasn't.

He was signed as a backup player, and has gotten exposed because of all the playing time.

Coco's Disciples
07-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Tatis is forever the guy who hit two GSs in an inning.

a700hitter
07-20-2009, 10:15 PM

Tatis has been good.

Add Luis Castillo and he's the only sucky latino player on the Mets.Is Fernando Nieve Irish? What about Angel Pagan? Omir Santos? Alex Cora? Argenis Reyes? Ramon Martinez? Ollie Perez for $36 million? Ramon Castro? Angel Berroa? nelson Figueroa?

Don't you think that instead of de facto racism is the fact that Latin players identify with a Latin GM?????This goes much further than any accusation that I would have made. I think this goes to the heart of de facto discrimination. What if I were to ask you whether discrimination was at work because white players felt more comfortable with the Red Sox's white FO and vice versa?

I didn't find teddyballgames statement on a message board to be so outrageous, especially when a respected member of the press, Rosenthal made a similar accusation against the Red Sox for being too white.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Do you watch the Mets? Feliciano blows. Perez, great signing. Castillo and Cora suck. Tatis is a joke. There whole bulllpen from last year. I know Wright, their best player, feels alienated on that club to.

Now you're just being a tool, and i really don't mean to insult, but really.

Cora is a backup player, so is Tatis?

But i didn't hear you mention Beltran, Delgado, Santana, and Reyes in this post.

Why?

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Is Fernando Nieve Irish? What about Angel Pagan? Omir Santos? Alex Cora? Argenis Reyes? Ramon Martinez? Ollie Perez for $36 million? Ramon Castro? Angel Berroa? nelson Figueroa?

This goes much further than any accusation that I would have made. I think this goes to the heart of de facto discrimination. What if I were to ask you whether discrimination was at work because white players felt more comfortable with the Red Sox's white FO and vice versa?

I didn't find teddyballgames statement on a message board to be so outrageous, especially when a respected member of the press, Rosenthal made a similar accusation against the Red Sox for being too white.

You just validated my entire argument.

The defense rests.

TheKilo
07-20-2009, 10:18 PM
No he hasn't.

He was signed as a backup player, and has gotten exposed because of all the playing time.

So, he's been bad?

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:19 PM
So, he's been bad?

So 2008 means nothing?

TheKilo
07-20-2009, 10:19 PM

But i didn't hear you mention Beltran, Delgado, Santana, and Reyes in this post.

Why?

Beltran, Delgado, Santana, and Reyes were all top ten players at their positions last season. They're superstars.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Beltran, Delgado, Santana, and Reyes were all top ten players at their positions last season. They're superstars.

That's my whole point...........

Listen, the thing is, like the Angels, the Mets appeal to the Latin crowd, so is Arte Moreno "De facto racist" as well?

TheKilo
07-20-2009, 10:21 PM
So 2008 means nothing?

He had a nice 2nd half.

Pretty clear he was playing over his head.

a700hitter
07-20-2009, 10:21 PM
You just validated my entire argument.

The defense rests.I didn't say that I agreed with the accusation. I think de facto discrimination cases are BS, so I don't know why you would be claiming victory. I think that without evidence of discriminatory intent there is no discrimination, which is why Rosenthal's accusation was bogus. I am just saying that teddyballgames statement on a message board was not so outrageous as it embodies the state of the law on de facto discrimination. I disagree with the state of the law.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:23 PM
I didn't say that I agreed with the accusation. I think de facto discrimination cases are BS, so I don't know why you would be claiming victory. I think that without evidence of discriminatory intent there is no discrimination, which is why Rosenthal's accusation was bogus. I am just saying that teddyballgames statement on a message board was not so outrageous as it embodies the state of the law on de facto discrimination. I disagree with the state of the law.

I claimed victory because anything Rosenthal writes is bullshit, you simply didn't pick up the joke, lol.

jacksonianmarch
07-20-2009, 10:25 PM
There was a piece on this awhile ago where the Mets 25 man was well above the average in terms of hispanic players. You know what, though, who cares. Its pretty obvious that the game crosses color and ethnicity lines. Trying to all black a team or all white, or all hispanic a team is doing your team a detriment. And the Mets are running into it. Its all about grabbing talent regardless of their background.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
07-20-2009, 10:27 PM
There was a piece on this awhile ago where the Mets 25 man was well above the average in terms of hispanic players. You know what, though, who cares. Its pretty obvious that the game crosses color and ethnicity lines. Trying to all black a team or all white, or all hispanic a team is doing your team a detriment. And the Mets are running into it. Its all about grabbing talent regardless of their background.
Exactly.

Minaya isn't a racist, he's just a dumbass.

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 10:27 PM

During spring training they had no set LF. It was either him or Murphy. They had a 50-50 shot at starting, he was not a bench player.

Why?

Cora still sucks. They are losing because they have zero depth. They signed out worst player on the team and we went out and got a capical back up, who happens to be white.

About Wright. . .its a know fact that cliques from between ethnic groups in the clubhouse. Wright is there best player and he sits in the dugout by himself and looks miserable. How do you think it feels when 90% of your team mates are talking a different language in the club house. I read Mike Lowells book and he said one of his best skills is being bi-lingual. He would help bring the english and spanish speaking players together when he was with Florida. There was an article in Newsday a few months back about Wright and being one of the few white players on the team.

The Mets over paid for Beltran. Delgado has been alright. Any idiot could have gotten K-rod. He had nothing to do with Reyes. I'll give you Santana.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:28 PM

Talk about a conflicting statement......

a700hitter
07-20-2009, 10:29 PM
I claimed victory because anything Rosenthal writes is bullshit, you simply didn't pick up the joke, lol.There is a double standard at work too. Rosenthal wrote his baseless accusations about a white FO. I thought his accusation was outrageous and reprehensible, but yet no one in the press called him out on his BS. I think that there would have been more of an outcry if Rosenthal had made such an accusation against a Hispanic GM.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:30 PM
During spring training they had no set LF. It was either him or Murphy. They had a 50-50 shot at starting, he was not a bench player.

Cora still sucks. They are losing because they have zero depth. They signed out worst player on the team and we went out and got a capical back up, who happens to be white.

About Wright. . .its a know fact that cliques from between ethnic groups in the clubhouse. Wright is there best player and he sits in the dugout by himself and looks miserable. How do you think it feels when 90% of your team mates are talking a different language in the club house. I read Mike Lowells book and he said one of his best skills is being bi-lingual. He would help bring the english and spanish speaking players together when he was with Florida. There was an article in Newsday a few months back about Wright and being one of the few white players on the team.

The Mets over paid for Beltran. Delgado has been alright. Any idiot could have gotten K-rod. He had nothing to do with Reyes. I'll give you Santana.

90% of the Mets is hispanic?

Ok, the argument ends here.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:31 PM
There is a double standard at work too. Rosenthal wrote his baseless accusations about a white FO. I thought his accusation was outrageous and reprehensible, but yet no one in the press called him out on his BS. I think that there would have been more of an outcry if Rosenthal had made such an accusation against a Hispanic GM.

Because it sells.

Hispanic and gay are the new african american, you know.

It makes headlines, and the people eat it up.

Keeper
07-20-2009, 10:33 PM

How insightful! You must be a fly on the wall in the locker room!

Also, I feel compelled to defend Feliciano, as I picked him for my Anti-Fantasy Team. Do you know how to correctly interpret statistics? Because he really does not suck. If he sucks, so does Manny Delcarmen. Their career lines are almost identical.

a700hitter
07-20-2009, 10:33 PM

Ok, the argument ends here.There have been articles that the white players like Wright feel put upon because they have to do too many public relations meet and greets because of the language issue.

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 10:35 PM

Ok, the argument ends here.

Its not 90% but it is up there its over 60 which is a shit load.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:38 PM
There have been articles that the white players like Wright feel put upon because they have to do too many public relations meet and greets because of the language issue.

Dude.

Beltran, Delgado, Beltran, Tatis and Feliciano are all FULLY BILINGUAL, and these are only the players i'm fully aware speak english.

There may be others.

The language thing is really a non-issue, at least with the Mets.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Its not 90% but it is up there its over 60 which is a shit load.

You do realize how ridiculous that argument is?

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 10:39 PM
How insightful! You must be a fly on the wall in the locker room!

Also, I feel compelled to defend Feliciano, as I picked him for my Anti-Fantasy Team. Do you know how to correctly interpret statistics? Because he really does not suck. If he sucks, so does Manny Delcarmen. Their career lines are almost identical.

Stats dont show everything. Feliciano is almost like A-rod, he'll come in and do fine when they are getting crushed or visa verse. How many Met games have you watched? I've probably seen around 90% in the past 3 years and every time Feliciano comes in during a close game the end result is never good. You are one of the better posters I think you would know that stats can be misleading.

a700hitter
07-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Dude.

Beltran, Delgado, Beltran, Tatis and Feliciano are all FULLY BILINGUAL, and these are only the players i'm fully aware speak english.

There may be others.

I didn't write the articles. I just read them. According to the articles and reports on Sports Talk Radio, there is apparently friction with regard to the language issue.

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Dude.

There may be others.

They have two Beltrans?;) Have you heard them speak? Their english sucks.

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I didn't write the articles. I just read them. According to the articles and reports on Sports Talk Radio, there is apparently friction with regard to the language issue.

Thank you, Dipre you dont hear or see NY media. There is friction, its been said!

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:42 PM

Which has been largely overblown by the media.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Thank you, Dipre you dont hear or see NY media. There is friction, its been said!

De facto racism right here.

Just because i'm latin doesn't mean i don't read the New York media.<_<

Jacoby_Ellsbury
07-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Even if Minaya is a racist, who really cares? The only organization that suffers is his.

a700hitter
07-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Which has been largely overblown by the media.neither of us would know, because we are not in the clubhouse. Teddyballgame is not off base raising these issues, because they have been put out there by the NY press.

a700hitter
07-20-2009, 10:46 PM

Just because i'm latin doesn't mean i don't read the New York media.<_<The same could have been said if you were Irish and living in Boston.

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 10:46 PM

Just because i'm latin doesn't mean i don't read the New York media.<_<

OK if you read them fine but you have clearly missed some articals. All I'm saying is I think Minaya is biased and loves sighing hispanic players and it really hurts the team.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:47 PM
neither of us would know, because we are not in the clubhouse. Teddyballgame is not off base raising these issues, because they have been put out there by the NY press.

Because it's a baseless issue unless you have some sort of proof.

This is what i'm gonna do.

I'm gonna talk to a buddy of mine who's good friends with Hanley Ramirez, and i'm gonna have him ask Hanley if language is really an issue in some ML (specially the Mets') clubhouse.

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 10:50 PM
So your word vs the NY press? That is one hell of a toss up

a700hitter
07-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Because it's a baseless issue unless you have some sort of proof.

This is what i'm gonna do.

I'm gonna talk to a buddy of mine who's good friends with Hanley Ramirez, and i'm gonna have him ask Hanley if language is really an issue in some ML (specially the Mets') clubhouse.I didn't make the accusation, so why would I provide any proof? It is a fact that the accusations have been made in the press. Are they valid? I wouldn't know, and I know people that work for the Mets. Nevertheless, reputable members of the press have reported these things, so it's not crazy for a poster to refer to them and maybe even take them at face value.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:54 PM
I didn't make the accusation, so why would I provide any proof? It is a fact that the accusations have been made in the press. Are they valid? I wouldn't know, and I know people that work for the Mets. Nevertheless, reputable members of the press have reported these things, so it's not crazy for a poster to refer to them and maybe even take them at face value.

Lambs of the press.

I shall carry out my own investigation on the matter.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:54 PM
So your word vs the NY press? That is one hell of a toss up

Lol "my word".

It's not "my word"

It's common fucking sense.

a700hitter
07-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Lambs of the press.

I shall carry out my own investigation on the matter.I hope you can get to the bottom of it. :D

Dipre
07-20-2009, 10:57 PM
I hope you can get to the bottom of it. :D

Hey, you can laugh.

But i know some people, and you'd be surprised at what a couple phone calls can dig up.

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Lol "my word".

It's not "my word"

It's common fucking sense.

Its your word when you tell someone over the internet you spoke to the best SS in baseball.

a700hitter
07-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey, you can laugh.

But i know some people, and you'd be surprised at what a couple phone calls can dig up.It was a smile not a laughing emoticon. Report back with your findings. I'm interested. My Mets sources have never said that there has been a problem, and they are the guys that run the Meet and Greets.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Its your word when you tell someone over the internet you spoke to the best SS in baseball.

That, i can prove.

Hanley used to live 3 houses from where i live before he signed.

He comes here every December in his awesome white Bentley or H2 and throws legendary parties every year.

In fact, if you remind me of this conversation again in December, i'll post a picture of me with him and shut you the fuck up.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 11:12 PM
It was a smile not a laughing emoticon. Report back with your findings. I'm interested. My Mets sources have never said that there has been a problem, and they are the guys that run the Meet and Greets.

If you want someone from the org. i could ask a scout who works for the Mets for his opinion on the matter.

I'll even ask him to let me use his name for the doubters.

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 11:13 PM
In fact, if you remind me of this conversation again in December, i'll post a picture of me with him and shut you the fuck up.

Easy dude.

What about Lowell mentioning in his book the cliques and tension between Hispanic and white players?

Dipre
07-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Easy dude.

What about Lowell mentioning in his book the cliques and tension between Hispanic and white players?

Most players now are bilingual.

This is not the 1990s.

And for the record, every Puerto Rican player in the ML is fully bilingual, and the Mets are flooded with them, so the story doesn't add up.

Teddyballgame10
07-20-2009, 11:21 PM
W.e. this is not going anywhere, I respect your opinion I think you are wrong though.

Dipre
07-20-2009, 11:22 PM
W.e. this is not going anywhere, I respect your opinion I think you are wrong though.

My investigation shall shed light on the subject.

After all, i'm THAT bored.

BSN07
07-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Just adding my .02 here.

I'm going to try and find it, but I read an article a couple years back. It was about a fairly high profiled player that was from the Dominican. It stated that Minaya really pushed the Hispanic/Latin angle while trying to lure the player to the Mets. So much though, that it actually put the player off on the Mets. It might have been Arod when he opted out in 07.

I don't know if he is racists of whatever. He does tend to lean towards the Latin line a bit. But a good majority of the top players are Latin, so there isn't anything conclusive there. In the end like it was said, if he does run his team like this, it's only his organization that suffers.

a700hitter
07-21-2009, 07:05 AM
My investigation shall shed light on the subject.

After all, i'm THAT bored.
Members of the Mets organization are unlikely to speak about this in a public way. I have a fair bit of contact with the Mets through my nephew and I have never heard a word about this. The stories in the press were based on anonymous sources I think. Dipre, if you are really tight with someone from the organization, you might get some honest feedbackn but I doubt the person would want you to use his name. If the accusations are true, it would be a very sensitive issue for the Mets, and anyone going on public record about it would risk losing his job.

Mr Crunchy
07-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Minaya is either the worst GM in the game or the unluckiest, I'll leave that open to debate due to the injured ballplayers hes made multi millionaires.
Theyre built very much like the Yankees. they have the 2001 allstar team playing for them in 2009.Theyve been competetive but have collapsed in the last 2 summers after bending over against the Cardinals in the 06 pennant...Collapses happen, we know that better than anyone but for chrissakes they werent chasing the 27 Yankees...
Theyre paying too many people too much money do nothing and although i like their idea of getting their much needed bullpen help by signing Putz and Krod their offense has just quit on them this year.
I hate the Mets yet I feel bad for them because theyre so pathetic...
Watching them play is like taking in a Babe Ruth league game, they dont play fundamental baseball, they dont field well at all,they never seem to get a bit hit when it matters and if they have a shot to fuck a game up it seems they always get it done...
Good thing Washington is in their league.
In fairness to Minaya they were close but we know the seasons arent decided on paper in January...Reyes Delgado and Wright were all hurt by June and the rest of the team isnt capable of putting up the needed offense to keep them competetive..They shouldnt bother with Halliday unless he can hit .285 with some power.

Dipre
07-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Members of the Mets organization are unlikely to speak about this in a public way. I have a fair bit of contact with the Mets through my nephew and I have never heard a word about this. The stories in the press were based on anonymous sources I think. Dipre, if you are really tight with someone from the organization, you might get some honest feedbackn but I doubt the person would want you to use his name. If the accusations are true, it would be a very sensitive issue for the Mets, and anyone going on public record about it would risk losing his job.

This is very true, however, i'll lose nothing by asking.

a700hitter
07-21-2009, 08:53 AM
This is very true, however, i'll lose nothing by asking.I'm interested in what you find out. It's probably less of an issue now, because most of the Hispanic players are on the DL. :lol:

Dipre
07-21-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm interested in what you find out. It's probably less of an issue now, because most of the Hispanic players are on the DL. :lol:

http://static.open.salon.com/files/thatsracistgm751224856460.gif

:D

Dojji
07-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Its your word when you tell someone over the internet you spoke to the best 3B pretending to be an SS in baseball.

Fixed

yankeessuck013
07-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Wilpon's got plenty of money in his own personal fortune. If he really wants to add Halladay and make a run money wouldn't stop him. If they weren't so decimated by injuries as it is the addition of Halladay could really push them over the top. Unfortunately if they added him now, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Not as much as you might think, he was hit hard if not the hardest by the Maydoff scandal and the rumor is the Mets are going to have to take a loan from MLB to pay their draft class this year. Adding a pitcher who you will have to give at least an 18 mil per extension to is not something from my understanding is something the Mets can do

The company that owns the Mets was one of a handful of ultra-wealthy investors prosecutors say were duped by Wall Street wheeler-dealer Bernard Madoff.

Sterling Equities, which owns the Mets, the Brooklyn Cyclones and major real estate developments in New York and Florida, confirmed it had invested money with Madoff.

CNBC is reporting that Mets owner Fred Wilpon and partner Saul Katz, though their investment entity Sterling Stamos, could have lost as much as $300 million.[/b]

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/12/12/2008-12-12_mets_owner_fred_wilpon_may_have_been_big.html#i xzz0LszIUtAL

a700hitter
07-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Not as much as you might think, he was hit hard if not the hardest by the Maydoff scandal and the rumor is the Mets are going to have to take a loan from MLB to pay their draft class this year. Adding a pitcher who you will have to give at least an 18 mil per extension to is not something from my understanding is something the Mets can doI have heard similar rumors. What's your source for the information?

BSN07
07-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Not as much as you might think, he was hit hard if not the hardest by the Maydoff scandal and the rumor is the Mets are going to have to take a loan from MLB to pay their draft class this year. Adding a pitcher who you will have to give at least an 18 mil per extension to is not something from my understanding is something the Mets can do

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/12/12/2008-12-12_mets_owner_fred_wilpon_may_have_been_big.html#i xzz0LszIUtAL

The Mets going broke helps me with my hypothetical off season scenario I'm working on:D There gonna need to retool on the go, or maybe dump salary if it get's worse.

Dojji
07-21-2009, 10:59 AM
What do they have that we'd want? The only players on that team that are worth salvaging are the guys they won't get rid of. The only real exception are the overpaid guys like Santana or K-Rod

BSN07
07-21-2009, 11:24 AM
What do they have that we'd want? The only players on that team that are worth salvaging are the guys they won't get rid of. The only real exception are the overpaid guys like Santana or K-Rod

I posted my thoughts on a Red Sox- Mets trade in the Gammons thread. But I don't think it will happen "in season". It's more of an off season thing.

Wright for Dice-K/Bowden+ 1 position player prospect was my initial thought. The details/reasoning are in the other post.

Mets get a Good SP with some up side/ concerns. And a top of the rotation type SP in Bowden, which they currently don't have anything close to him. Maybe add Anderson. Delgado is a FA after this season.

yankeessuck013
07-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I have heard similar rumors. What's your source for the information?

I heard Mike Francesa say something along those lines on WFAN on Monday. Sorry, no link.

Keeper
07-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Allegations of racism are pretty bunk sometimes. For instance, Ozzie Guillen was just sent a ton of emails accusing him of being racist for sending Brian Anderson down to Triple-A. Not sure I follow the logic on that one...

BSN07
07-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Allegations of racism are pretty bunk sometimes. For instance, Ozzie Guillen was just sent a ton of emails accusing him of being racist for sending Brian Anderson down to Triple-A. Not sure I follow the logic on that one...

Ozzie sent a white guy down. Got to be racist. Can't be that Anderson isn't a good enough player lol

Dipre
07-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Brian Anderson sucks /end discussion

NJRedSoxFan
07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Omar Minaya needs to get his head examined.

The Wilpons needs theres examined too.

Mr Crunchy
07-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Is it shocking to see Miami LA and NY flood their rosters with latins while playing in the biggest latin markets in Baseball?...Ya,Minaya has gone balls out for the biggest Latin names in the market and hasnt gotten the end results but is it his fault that the team laid down like dying dogs the last 2 years?
He fired Willie Randolph but Jerry Manuel ran into the same year end malaise last year.
Theyre loaded with cunts failures and gaggers and they are latins whites and blacks.
The Wilpons gave Minaya the blank check and the Mets have been in the hunt pretty much 4 years running with this year being the exception..
This is what GM's are supposed to do.They get the parts to the floor, the manager assembles the parts into a machine and the machine functions accordingly.
Laying the Mets failures on Minaya's obvious love of Latins isnt entirely fair and they arent going anywhere even if they do pick up Halliday. When the ancient Gary Sheffield,a waiver wire pick up 2 months ago, leads your team in HR's then you got no power at all..What happened to White David Wright,5hrs this year?Puerto Rican Carlo Beltran with 8,Luis Castillo is hitting .290 but slugging .330 which is nearly impossible, they come in all shapes colors and sizes and they all are under achieving...Minaya put together good talent but this talent is now aging underachieving and if theres disharmony in their clubhouse Id bet it has more to do with good players playing like shit and being frustrated than racial discord....Winning solves all this shit.
when you're winning you dont notice skin color or language,all you see are teamates that you want to fight and die for and vice versa...Jason Veritek would be leading them in Hr's if he played in Queens, this is the problem in NY, not language, not skin color or Minaya's obvious taste for Latin kids.
Theyre underachieving, they aint hitting and they now have to look at each other loss after pathetic loss with internal frustration and rage....This makes sense in the business world.
the Mets are looking to pick up a share of the Manhatten market and what better way to do this than by signing Latins cause they got 4-5million of them between the GW bridge and Westchester County.
The problem they do have is these guys have choked away 2 huge division leads and a pennant in the last 3 years and this year theyre in 4th in a league that isnt that good.

Mr Crunchy
07-22-2009, 01:34 PM
This was on the Mets team page and I found it appropiate.
The 2009 Mets: Proving that sometimes the most relevant Beckett in baseball is Samuel, not Josh.