1B- Mark Teixeira, Yankees
2B- Placido Polanco, Tigers
SS- Derek Jeter, Yankees
3B- Evan Longoria, Rays
OF- Torii Hunter, Angels
OF- Ichiro, Mariners
OF- Adam Jones, Orioles
P- Mark Buehrle, White Sox

I think both Yankees selected are very deserving. Jeter's GG awards in years past might have been up for debate, but he did such a good job on defense this year there's almost no question.

Paradisecity
11-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Erick Aybar and Elvis Andrus come to mind.

Coco's Disciples
11-10-2009, 04:47 PM

They're more deserving than Jeter, but the whole GG award system is so flawed it's become cliche to call it flawed. It's more like the best fielder who is also a good hitter.

Paradisecity
11-10-2009, 04:49 PM
They're more deserving than Jeter, but the whole GG award system is so flawed it's become cliche to call it flawed. It's more like the best fielder who is also a good hitter.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Large markets help too, obviously.

Dipre
11-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Aybar was pretty productive though. Tbh i have no qualms with Jeter winning the award.

26 to 6
11-10-2009, 05:40 PM
I agree those guys are definitely also deserving, and the Gold Glove voting is an absolute joke (STILL can't get over Palmeiro winning over Tino in '97 when Rafi played only something like 37 games in the field), but I'm sure those guys will get their share of GG's before their careers are over.

yankees228
11-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Can't believe Franklin Guitterez didn't win a gold glove this year.

EDIT: Actually, I can, because it's the gold glove.

Keeper
11-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Good to see Buehrle finally get recognized.

Spudboy
11-10-2009, 07:36 PM
C- Joe Mauer, Twins
1B- Mark Teixeira, Yankees
2B- Placido Polanco, Tigers
SS- Derek Jeter, Yankees
3B- Evan Longoria, Rays
OF- Torii Hunter, Angels
OF- Ichiro, Mariners
OF- Adam Jones, Orioles
P- Mark Buehrle, White Sox

I think both Yankees selected are very deserving. Jeter's GG awards in years past might have been up for debate, but he did such a good job on defense this year there's almost no question.

I have an honest question here.

I have no objection to any of the players here receiving Gold Gloves.

But. I saw about 16 Sox games with Baltimore. Adam Jones? What did I miss?

Placido Palanco? What about Kinsler (sp)?

Dipre
11-10-2009, 08:18 PM
I have an honest question here.

I have no objection to any of the players here receiving Gold Gloves.

But. I saw about 16 Sox games with Baltimore. Adam Jones? What did I miss?

Placido Palanco? What about Kinsler (sp)?

Kinsler is not a spectacular defensive 2B. Polanco has lost a step, so i'll check into his defensive stats and see how he fares.

yankees228
11-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Both are excellent second basemen, but, according to UZR/150, Polanco had the best defensive year for AL second basemen. I don't have an issue with that selection.

I just really get a kick out of the fact that the player who led all of MLB in UZR/150, and did so by a wide margin, wasn't rewarded with a gold glove.

Dipre
11-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Both are excellent second basemen, but, according to UZR/150, Polanco had the best defensive year for AL second basemen. I don't have an issue with that selection.

I just really get a kick out of the fact that the player who led all of MLB in UZR/150, and did so by a wide margin, wasn't rewarded with a gold glove.

Who was it?

I'd like to know.

yankees228
11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Ah, my bad. I should have, and the only reason I didn't was because I had mentioned him earlier.

Franklin Guiterrez.

Dipre
11-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Ah, my bad. I should have, and the only reason I didn't was because I had mentioned him earlier.

Franklin Guiterrez.

Lol Kilo's got a mancrush for him.

Spudboy
11-10-2009, 08:48 PM
So what about Jones?

Any opinions?

Lol.

I just can't remember him as being anything but average. SSS.

What did he do to merit such distinction?

VA Sox Fan
11-10-2009, 08:53 PM
So what about Jones?

Any opinions?

Lol.

Don't know his stats etc. I was impressed by him. Seem to be in a lot of the Top 10 plays through out the season. Had some good at bats as well.

But it's like the NFL Hall of Fame....anyone can get in....:lol:;) KIDDING.

yankees228
11-10-2009, 08:54 PM
His UZR/150 was a -4.1. Not very good, and certainly not gold glove worthy. I do, however, remember seeing him make a couple spectacular plays, which probably explains his selection.

Dipre
11-10-2009, 08:56 PM
So what about Jones?

Any opinions?

Lol.

Had a career year offensively.

Remember, the gold gloves are usually an award for guys who can "so-so catch the ball" and put big offensive numbers.

Spudboy
11-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks VA, Y228, and Dipre.

I just did not see it.

a700hitter
11-10-2009, 10:57 PM
This was Jeter's best fielding seasons in the last 5 years. He got to many more balls up the middle than he has in past seasons. I don't know if it was better positioning or the agility drill that he did in the off season, but the improvement was noticeable. I hope the prick starts to show his age next season.

Keeper
11-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah, Gutierrez definitely got snubbed.

Tyler Durden
11-11-2009, 07:54 AM
This award is a joke. Figured that out when they gave DH one in '99.

rhet
11-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Jeter has no range. But he handles what he gets to well. His errors are down this year because of Tex.

But let's face it, there's no way in hell they were giving it to Izturis or Aybar.

a700hitter
11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Jeter has no range. But he handles what he gets to well. His errors are down this year because of Tex.

But let's face it, there's no way in hell they were giving it to Izturis or Aybar.He had a better year. It was not just that his errors were down, and you are correct that the decrease in errors was attributable to Teixeira. Jeter also was getting to more balls up the middle.

yankees228
11-11-2009, 09:02 PM

But let's face it, there's no way in hell they were giving it to Izturis or Aybar.

Out of all qualified AL shortstops (10), Jeter finished 4th in UZR/150 (at 8.4). That was actually ahead of Aybar. There were better choices, but Jeter wasn't an awful choice, and he certainly has more range than you think.

ORS
11-11-2009, 09:10 PM
....but I'm sure those guys will get their share of GG's before their careers are over.
I love to hear the convoluted justification for this nonsense.

26 to 6
11-11-2009, 10:52 PM
I love to hear the convoluted justification for this nonsense.
Are you kidding, what's your problem dude? Remove the stick from your ass man. Saying that Aybar and Andrus were also deserving in the argument for GG, and that they will surely get a few before their careers are said and done is nonsense? Give me a break man.

ORS
11-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Are you kidding, what's your problem dude? Remove the stick from your ass man. Saying that Aybar and Andrus were also deserving in the argument for GG, and that they will surely get a few before their careers are said and done is nonsense? Give me a break man.
So you are fine with more deserving players not winning the award because they are young and will "probably" win one in the future? Let's apply that train of thought to the ultimate goal of the season, winning a championship. Are you OK with calling the Angels the 2009 MLB Champions despite the Yankees being better because the Yankees will probably win one in the future?

Also, you have this fixation on sticks in asses. I think a Freudian slip may be occurring here. You might want to look into that.