View Full Version : The Unofficial Learn The English language Thread

Spudboy
12-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Thank you Kilo.

Default The Official Learn to Speak English Thread
Definitely does NOT have an A in it.

That is definitely spelled wrong.

Grammar does NOT have an e in it.
It is also not to be confused with "spelling," which seems to be a lost art. Grammar refers essentially to syntax and word usage.

Grammar is NOT a kind of cracker.

Your denotes possession.

Your team sucks.

You're means you are. It is a contraction, between YOU and ARE.

You're a fuckwit.

There means a place, stage, moment, or point.

Look over there.
Stop there, before you embarrass yourself.

Their denotes possession.

I own their shirt.

They're is another contraction, between THEY and ARE.

They're fucking good.

To is a preposition.

I'm going to Boston.
Why would you want to do that?
Who the hell are you talking to?

(You're not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition, but fuck off. It's for the sake of the example.)

Too is synonymous with "as well" or "also."

I've seen them, too.

Good is an adjective which describes a noun.

This is good pizza.
The new cd is good.

Well is an adjective which describes a verb (otherwise known as an adverb).

I don't feel well.
I didn't do very well in high school.

"Lil" is not correct. Little is the proper term.

I have little patience for bad grammar.

u and ur are also not acceptable. Use "You" and "You're"

I hope this is of some use to Talksox members. Particularly to those who aim to teach English to our youth.

Keeper
12-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Nicest member on Talksox. :rolleyes: I'll say it again. You are a wolf in sheep's clothing. Dipre and Emmz casually throw around baiting, trolling, and inciting. But this fits the definition of all three.

Emmz
12-30-2009, 09:53 PM
:lol:

Keeper
12-30-2009, 09:58 PM
You would find it amusing. This thread should be deleted or locked, and Spudboy should get warned for trying to pull this shit. Nicest member. The more he posts, the more ironic that title bestowed on him becomes.

Emmz
12-30-2009, 10:00 PM
That's asinine.

Emmz
12-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Btw, that's a joke, sorry I didn't put a ;)

italstallianion
12-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Nicest member on Talksox. :rolleyes: I'll say it again. You are a wolf in sheep's clothing. Dipre and Emmz casually throw around baiting, trolling, and inciting. But this fits the definition of all three.

So what do you call it when you do it?

Youk Of The Nation
12-30-2009, 10:37 PM
This is, in fact, a repost of an earlier thread. It is not only informative, but absolutely true. Grammar and spelling seem to be loosely defined on the Internet these days, and it is always good to post a little reminder. This thread was not directed towards any one poster, and Spudboy did not insult or bait anyone.

Except you, Keeper. Obviously he baited you, because you came in immediately and started attacking him for an imagined insult against an imagined party. Calm down.

italstallianion
12-30-2009, 10:39 PM
That's asinine.

I find your post shallow and pedantic.

Emmz
12-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I find your post shallow and pedantic.

I find your description of asininity to be shallow and pedantic.

26 to 6
12-31-2009, 12:10 AM
This isn't English class spud, I pay enough attention t grammar when I have to....if I want to use "u" and "ur" here then god dammit I will!

I have no tolerance for mixing up your/you're and they're/there/their, however.

Youk Of The Nation
12-31-2009, 12:17 AM
You can't stand mixing up 'you're' and 'your', but you're okay with 'ur'?

For some reason typing that made my head hurt...

Emmz
12-31-2009, 02:38 AM
y it make ur head hurt???

Keeper
12-31-2009, 03:57 AM
This thread was not directed towards any one poster, and Spudboy did not insult or bait anyone.

Except you, Keeper. Obviously he baited you, because you came in immediately and started attacking him for an imagined insult against an imagined party. Calm down.

I didn't imagine an insult. This thread is clearly in response to shit he has said to me.

Lol.

No you aren't avoiding THE point. You just don't know the English language well enough to recognize my point. I'm glad you won't be teaching English to my children.

Learn to conjugate (and to proof read).

By the way, I made no reference to Bay or Damon.

:lol:

By the way. B+ post.

Use spell check next time.

Try again, Teach.

This is some serious bullshit.

Emmz
12-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, I don't know what to say, besides that it kinda sucks being picked on for something so stupid constantly, doesn't it?

Keeper
12-31-2009, 03:12 PM
I haven't picked on anybody. When I disagree with what a poster says, I speak my mind.

Emmz
12-31-2009, 05:02 PM
So then Spudboy disagrees with your inability to properly formulate a sentence. He's speaking his mind. Don't you see your own double standard? Spudboy gives you a B+, but since I'm nice, I'll give your asinine.

Keeper
12-31-2009, 05:16 PM
There is no double standard. I haven't created threads in a veiled effort to mock other posters. Spudboy's motives for making this thread are transparent. I have mentioned a few times that I don't like the incendiary and antagonistic posting style you and Dipre exhibit on a regular basis. There are others who also feel this way. The perception is that Spudboy is a courteous and "nice" poster. All evidence points to the contrary.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
12-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Who gives a shit?

Sox Fan on Cape
12-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Keeper and I don't usually agree. But in this case he is correct. Emmz, you complain about being sexually harassed by Gom, yet Spudboy does it all the time in multiple forums ( not just Anything Goes ) so when is it "crossing the line". His first thread was about wanting to go drinking with a 16 yr old ( soxfan #1) so he could meet the girls he hung out with. Take a look at his posts many are vulgar, one liners. or in poor taste, in those rare cases that he does post a new thread it is usually a link that he cpoied from another site. There is never any interpretation or analysis. So this is the person that we're going to listen to and that you support, you are a hypocrite.

Keeper
12-31-2009, 08:51 PM
An unlikely ally agrees with me. I must be onto something.

Dipre
12-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Keeper and I don't usually agree. But in this case he is correct. Emmz, you complain about being sexually harassed by Gom, yet Spudboy does it all the time in multiple forums ( not just Anything Goes ) so when is it "crossing the line". His first thread was about wanting to go drinking with a 16 yr old ( soxfan #1) so he could meet the girls he hung out with. Take a look at his posts many are vulgar, one liners. or in poor taste, in those rare cases that he does post a new thread it is usually a link that he cpoied from another site. There is never any interpretation or analysis. So this is the person that we're going to listen to and that you support, you are a hypocrite.

Of course you "agree" with Keeper, because Spudboy calls you out on your racial slurs. You're the least indicated person to be even sharing an opinion on this thread, you make racial slurs, Keeper won't leave Emmz alone, but the bottom line is, you both need to chill the fuck out. Spud is right in calling out both of you, and specially you.

Dipre
12-31-2009, 09:31 PM

Think about it. Slowly.

Emmz
12-31-2009, 09:43 PM

He's made slurs about foreigners, you've made slurs about those from the southern part of the US. Hey, I must be on to something!

Keeper
12-31-2009, 09:45 PM
but the bottom line is, you both need to chill the fuck out.

You should follow your own advice, champ.

Dipre
12-31-2009, 09:46 PM
You should follow your own advice, champ.

I'm chill, champ.

I just spoke the truth.

I'm sure both Spudboy and Emmz (i know i do) want to leave this behind, but you simply won't stop.

Keeper
12-31-2009, 09:47 PM
I will stop. If Spudboy wanted to leave this behind as you say, he wouldn't have started this ridiculous thread. He had to know it would piss me off. He wanted to get a reaction out of me. He got one.

Dipre
12-31-2009, 09:48 PM
I will stop. If Spudboy wanted to leave this behind as you say, he wouldn't have started this ridiculous thread. He had to know it would piss me off.

He wouldn't have in the first place if you'd simply back off form Emmz and me. We don't have a problem with you. You have a problem with us. Back off and we can all just leave this behind.

Keeper
12-31-2009, 09:52 PM
Fine. I'll back off, so long as you three back off as well. Not exactly a truce, as I still think you're all asses. I'm just tired of this.

Coco's Disciples
12-31-2009, 09:53 PM
I'd say this thread has run its course.