PDA

View Full Version : Random Minor League Thread

meliaant
04-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Quite familiar with the farm system, and am wondering if anyone had any random thoughts & posts they wanted to put up here. Sarasota looks like a playoff-caliber team in the FSL, and some of the guys in Pawtucket could crack the 25-man roster on at least 10 teams...

RedSoxRooter
04-15-2004, 12:29 PM
What do the homegrown pitching prospects throughout the organization look like? Has the switch to college players helped at all?

meliaant
04-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Haven't noticed the trend quite yet, it may take a few more drafts for it to fully take affect...of the pitchers I have seen, they have either been college pitchers, or dominican/venezuelan pitchers who are young, but have been pitching for a long time...the most impressive pitcher that I've seen is Abe Alvarez, currently throwing for Sarasota, and he was taken out of long beach state...

yeszir
04-15-2004, 02:57 PM
meliaant: our resident minor league expert. I may have a question or two soon. :)

roary
04-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Hanley Ramirez: a bust? I've heard he isnt doing too well down there, hitting only for a mediocre average and such. Can you give us an update on his status, and maybe how you think he'll turn out judging how some other players have looked at similar points in their careers?

Lol, I know its a lot to ask, but hey, you're the expert. :D

meliaant
04-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Last year was quite a disappointment in regards to Hanley Ramirez's progress...he batted in the mid .200's, and never really got on a roll. He's off to a decent start, we just have to hope he's got his attitude in check, and keeps mashing the ball...he grew into his body (showed up at 6'3", 195lbs) and projects to have decent power once he adds some loft to his swing. This is true, but as of last august, in the words of one high-powered Red Sox front office exec "Hanley's a bust" - verbatim, swear on my life...but hopefully Hanley proves this gentleman wrong, and shows us what hes capable of... www.sarasox.com will have up-to-date info on him once the site is complete - Spann, Murphy & Murton are some names to watch down there as well.

RedSoxRooter
04-15-2004, 07:20 PM
If Zen's not already here, he should be ;)

yeszir
04-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter@Apr 15 2004, 08:20 PM
If Zen's not already here, he should be ;)
you can do the honors and pm him if you like. ;)

RedSoxRooter
04-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Will do!

Zenny
04-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Guess who's here, boys!

Sarasota looks to have an amazing team, but don't start buying your playoff tickets yet. If these boys play well, they'll be in Hadlock Field by the end of the summer. David Murphy appears to be the most likely choice to get the first promotion from the Sarasota team. Theo loves the MurphDawg, he was Theo's first actual scouted and picked player, and with Jeremy Owens gone, Portland needs a CF.

Murphy is my favorite prospect and will see time at Portland before the season is over. In my opinion, he's the least likely prospect to be traded and has a future on this ballclub once Johnny Damon's horrific contract is off the books in 2006, which is when Murphy will be ready as a full-time major-leaguer.

If Juan Cedeno gets his curve and changeup under control, he'll be in Portland as well. Murton doesn't have the upside that Murphy has, but he's also a very good player and Portland also isn't out of the question. Hanley's the best hitter in the system and will probably recieve a promotion, but Kenny Perez would have to be moved to 2B or up to Pawtucket.

I like the way the Sox's minor league system stacks up. It's the best that it has been in years and is primed to pump out the best talent we've seen since Nomar and Trot.