PDA

View Full Version : Will we be alright without Trot and Nomar?

dirtdogman5
04-02-2004, 09:45 PM
With Nomar and Trot out till May, how will our offense (and defense) produce with these two big bats gone from the lineup? Reese will play SS and Bellhorn will play 2B most of the time (with Febles/Crespo filling in sometimes) and I'm guessing Tito is going to figure out a rotaion involving Millar, Ortiz, Burks, and Kapler. Unfortunately if you look at our schedule, virtually all of our games are against division foes. Just thankfully these injuries happened now and not August or September.

yeszir
04-02-2004, 10:06 PM
While injuries are never ever ever good, the sox are lucky that they have such a deep bench. Reese/Bellhorn/Crespo (Febles is not on the roster I believe) are more than capable backups, and although they wont be able to replace Nomar/Trot, its not like we are left with nothing.

FourZeroSix
04-02-2004, 10:22 PM
The lineup still has plenty of capable bats in there to score enough runs to win. However, I could see Pedro or Schilling getting 1 or 2 raw deals despite excellent efforts. Schilling posted a 2.95 ERA but finished 8-9 last year. It's also important to know that the D'backs scored fewer than 3 runs FOURTEEN of those starts.

Pedro has always gotten the raw deal throughout his entire career. In 1997 for Montreal he had 241.1 IPs with a 1.90 ERA and finished 17-8. In 2000, he put together probably one of the most dominant seasons in history... 217 IPs and a 1.74 ERA, finished 18-6. In fact, in his LOSSES, his ERA was 2.44 and he pitched into the 8th or further in five of those losses. At least 7 in all six. That's just bullshit in my opinion, I'm sorry.

yeszir
04-02-2004, 10:27 PM
It may be 406 (hey, i just understood you name, haha. I like it!) but its part of the game in baseball. As you said, Pedro always gets a few "raw deals" and hell, they were an everyday occurence for schill last year.

When pedro gets screwed over he usually gets screwed over by the entire team, nomar and trot included. When we win, it is usually because of a collective effort. Rarely do you see nomar going 5-5 with 4 rbis, single-handedly leading the team to victory.

So, although the losses may make a one or two game difference, I doubt that they will be anything major in the long run.

FourZeroSix
04-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Oh, it's not going to hurt the team in the long run. I was just speaking of Pedro and Schilling individually.

roary
04-02-2004, 11:06 PM
I'd like to see Schilling take out another Questec camera if the sox blow a game he pitches well.

dirtdogman5
04-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by roary@Apr 2 2004, 11:06 PM
I'd like to see Schilling take out another Questec camera if the sox blow a game he pitches well.
But let's hope they don't blow a game he pitches (or all year).

CalvnHobs6
04-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Don't be worried about not having Trot for now. Between Daubach, Kapler, and McCarty (or as I like to call him, beast) his hole will be more than covered.

As for Nomar, he won't be missing too much, and if Crespo can keep hitting the way he did in ST...it's all good.

yeszir
04-02-2004, 11:45 PM
This is what mlb.com has to say about the matter:
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bo...s_bos&fext=.jsp (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/news/bos_news.jsp?ymd=20040402&content_id=682207&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp)

FourZeroSix
04-02-2004, 11:49 PM
What is going on here with all the RedSox.com articles? lol :o

I think I enjoy Browne's reports more than all the SPIN that comes from the columnists from The Globe, Herald, Courant, ProJo, etc... I'm not a big fan of the mediots anyway... look at what they did to Bill Russell and Ted Williams for god sake. I think it's funny when Pedro refuses to talk to them.

yeszir
04-02-2004, 11:51 PM
I dunno. I'm attempting to warm up to them I guess. But its not working, they still suck!

FourZeroSix
04-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Yeah, go read a completely pessimistic Shaughnessy column, it's so much better than actual news. Haha. :P

One place where I like to check on daily for Sox news is at http://joyofsox.blogspot.com

yeszir
04-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Shaughnessy is the worst. We need to do something about him. And thanks for that site, bookmarked.

FourZeroSix
04-02-2004, 11:59 PM
Gordon Edes and Holley are ok. Shaughnessy is a prick.

As for JOS, I'd see if you can't get him to put your board onto the list of "Sox links"...

rockin' in the free world
04-02-2004, 11:59 PM
shaugnessy should be forced to become a reporter for the yankees as punishment for the curse he put on us recently and for his general idiocy and lack of knowledge.

yeszir
04-03-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by FourZeroSix@Apr 2 2004, 11:59 PM
Gordon Edes and Holley are ok. Shaughnessy is a prick.

As for JOS, I'd see if you can't get him to put your board onto the list of "Sox links"...
Thats a good idea, I'll contact JOS once we get a smidgeon bigger.

And rockin', I agree. But we may even need something worse than that!

dirtdogman5
04-03-2004, 09:48 AM
Shaughnessy annoys me everywhere. In the papers, on camera (which can be rare), you name where he is and I want to strangle him. He acts like we like to lose or we enjoy reading pessimistic articles. And when he's on camera, with his annoying voice and curly red hair, he's the same way. Gimme Edes or Massarotti any day.

joyofsox
04-03-2004, 08:14 PM
I think I do have that Board linked, don't I? The Wicked one?

I added this one today.

Thanks for the kind words, also.

yeszir
04-03-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by joyofsox@Apr 3 2004, 08:14 PM
I think I do have that Board linked, don't I? The Wicked one?

I added this one today.

Thanks for the kind words, also.
Hey! Thanks for adding our site and joining! And your site deserves kind words. :D