PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox fan from Australia

AusBoSoxFan
04-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Hey all, I'm a Red Sox fan from Australia -- a long way from the geographic borders of the Red Sox Nation. I look forward to taking part in forums in a yankee-free-zone, but more than that I'm looking forward to seeing our BoSox get it done this year.

dirtdogman5
04-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by AusBoSoxFan@Apr 16 2004, 08:28 PM
Hey all, I'm a Red Sox fan from Australia -- a long way from the geographic borders of the Red Sox Nation. I look forward to taking part in forums in a yankee-free-zone, but more than that I'm looking forward to seeing our BoSox get it done this year.
Hey man, and welcome. Always nice to see the Nation extended to the land down under.

yagmaster
04-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Welcome to the site!

yeszir
04-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Do you ever get to see any games down their in Australia? Do you have a package or something?

Anyway, welcome. ;)

AusBoSoxFan
04-16-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by yeszir@Apr 16 2004, 10:17 PM
Do you ever get to see any games down their in Australia? Do you have a package or something?

Anyway, welcome. ;)
Sadly, the coverage of MLB Baseball (or any kind of baseball) in Australia isn't very thorough. Cable sports channels show baseball -- but they mainly show just the ESPN and Fox US-nationwide matches -- so you have to wait till they get around to BoSox games. Other than that, the MLB.com Gameday thing is how I follow alot of matches, and I'm looking into that MLB.TV thing, does anyone know if it's any good?

roary
04-16-2004, 10:34 PM
Hey there, welcome to the site. As for catching Red Sox games, I'm sure there's some package (whether it be on satellite TV or cable or something) where you can see at least SOME games (more than on ESPN), but it would most likely be extremely expensive. I think one person here, I think its dirtdogman, who doesnt live in Boston gets a package. But it may be a US only thing.

dirtdogman5
04-16-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by roary@Apr 16 2004, 10:34 PM
Hey there, welcome to the site. As for catching Red Sox games, I'm sure there's some package (whether it be on satellite TV or cable or something) where you can see at least SOME games (more than on ESPN), but it would most likely be extremely expensive. I think one person here, I think its dirtdogman, who doesnt live in Boston gets a package. But it may be a US only thing.
Yeah I live in Florida and have the MLB Extra Innings thing for DirecTV but don&#39;t have blackouts because of special "illegal" satellite cards. <Shhhhh&#33;>

TheFens
04-18-2004, 09:38 AM
Wow, from the land down under&#33; RSN is truly a global community. ;)

AusBoSoxFan
04-20-2004, 06:40 AM
Besides the fact that I&#39;ve always been fascinated by the history of the Red Sox, I think New England is the part of the United States that I identify most with as an Australian.

Sinix
04-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Well thats pretty obvious - we have koalas in the trees, alligators romping the streets, and every Friday night I go and check out the big kangaroo boxing matches. :P

Welcome, and good to have you - any of your Aussie friends follow baseball (or the Sox)?

TheFens
04-23-2004, 11:23 AM
That may be the first time I&#39;ve ever seen NE compared to Australia, but I&#39;ll take it. I think it might be just a smidgeon warmer down there.

AusBoSoxFan
04-23-2004, 07:24 PM
I would say the sense of humour New Englanders have is quite similar to the Australian sense of humour (also I know Bostonians say alot of words in a similar way to Australians -- alot Americans compare the Australian accent to the Boston accent when they come over here). Plus, I get the impression that the values of New Englanders are fairly similar to those of Australians (I find it hard to relate to some of the stuff I hear people in other parts of your fine country say).

As for whether my Aussie friends follow baseball -- I play weekend baseball with a bunch of friends during the summer, but none of them follow MLB.

yeszir
04-23-2004, 07:32 PM
Hehe, you wrote humour. You speak THAT kind of english. :P

dirtdogman5
04-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by yeszir@Apr 23 2004, 07:32 PM
Hehe, you wrote humour. You speak THAT kind of english. :P
It&#39;s the same with those Canadiens too&#33;

TennesseeSoxFan
05-19-2004, 02:12 PM
My husband is from Australia, and I&#39;ve converted him into a huge Sox fan. Poor guy&#33; We now live in TN, and lots of people ask if he&#39;s from Boston because of the accent. I&#39;m originally from Cape Cod. I&#39;m always amazed at the number of Sox fans I meet no matter where I go.

yeszir
05-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by TennesseeSoxFan@May 19 2004, 03:12 PM
My husband is from Australia, and I&#39;ve converted him into a huge Sox fan. Poor guy&#33; We now live in TN, and lots of people ask if he&#39;s from Boston because of the accent. I&#39;m originally from Cape Cod. I&#39;m always amazed at the number of Sox fans I meet no matter where I go.
Hey, welcome to the site&#33; Where in Tennessee are you from?

TennesseeSoxFan
05-19-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by yeszir@May 19 2004, 02:59 PM

Hey, welcome to the site&#33; Where in Tennessee are you from?
Not from Tennessee, just a current resident. :) I&#39;m in Chattanooga.