PDA

View Full Version : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

ORS
11-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Wife pre-ordered for me on Amazon for our anniversary (anniversary was 11/9/2011 - released and arrived on 11/11/2011). Just started playing last night.

WOW. I'll lose hours of time playing this game. Massive open-world game. Very good graphics. Many tweaks to what you found in Oblivion. You can make your own weapons/armor from the stuff you get out in the world (ores/pelts). The complex leveling system has been simplified, leaving you focus on gameplay with less attention spent on effective leveling. Dual handed combat....so cool....with your two hands you can either: equip a two-handed weapon (like Oblivion), equip a single-handed weapon and shield (like Oblivion), equip two single-handed weapons (new), equip a single-handed weapon and spell (new).

Fun stuff.

Here's a good link for gamers who make the plunge and dive into Skyrim.

Skyrim UESPWiki (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim)

jacksonianmarch
11-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Yeah, it's awesome.

Laser Show
11-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Can you equip 2 shields and go grab a sandwich while getting pummeled by frost spiders?

ORS
11-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Can you equip 2 shields and go grab a sandwich while getting pummeled by frost spiders?
I've heard that will come with the first downloadable expansion pack. The store version will have a voucher for a free sub at Subway.

Youk Of The Nation
11-15-2011, 07:35 PM
What a bunch of nerds. Can't you all just watch Star Trek like normal people?!

User Name?
11-15-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm getting this and Dark Souls in early January. It's going to be a busy gaming Spring.

iortiz
11-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Sounds great ORS. I will buy it.

jacksonianmarch
11-15-2011, 09:12 PM
I played morrowind and oblivion and this is far and away the best. Like the new leveling system, and really like the revamped battle mode. Having to craft and enchant again bring me back to Morrowind. It's just flat out incredible.

Also, they got rid of the leveled opponent thing they debuted in oblivion, so if you venture too deep too early, you're gonna get wrecked

mvp 78
11-15-2011, 11:09 PM
I will be buying this after my next CPA exam. I loved Oblivion. Morrowind was great, but the combat system was brutal. The story was way more engaging than Oblivion.

Palodios
11-15-2011, 11:30 PM
I was a huge fan of Morrowind/Oblivion. I was planning to pick up Skyrim as soon as I finish Dark Souls....

And in all fairness, I am at the last boss of that game.

ORS
11-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I played morrowind and oblivion and this is far and away the best. Like the new leveling system, and really like the revamped battle mode. Having to craft and enchant again bring me back to Morrowind. It's just flat out incredible.

Also, they got rid of the leveled opponent thing they debuted in oblivion, so if you venture too deep too early, you're gonna get wrecked
Also, the new leveling system has a more "real" feel to it. With over 250 skill perk options, where you gain only 1 perk per level-up, and the max level of possible level-ups at around 80, you really have to be judgmental about perk selection. Ie, you have to put some thought into where you want to be very strong and where you want to allow yourself some weakness. In Oblivion, if you employed effective leveling, you could be excellent across the board. Here, you'll need to specialize based on your gameplay (thief, warrior, mage). Sure, you'll be able to mix it up some, but it looks like there will have to be some sacrafice, which is more realistic.

Oh, and the dungeons seem epic so far in comparison to the other titles in the series.

EDIT: True about getting wrecked, at least in terms of dungeon exploration. However, per the pre-release stuff I read, the dungeons lock at your level when you enter them. Therefore, you can glitch the game by going into each dungeon early, even if you don't clear it, and come back at a higher level and clean house. However, I'm not sure how that will work with multi-tiered dungeons. I assume you need to work your way into those other tiers to lock them too, which could prove difficult early on.

jacksonianmarch
11-16-2011, 02:02 PM
I was a level 7 and running thru the thieves guild quests, and ran across a dragon caller. I died in one spell hit. I like that.

WhiskeyBreath
11-26-2011, 11:51 PM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k187/Alyoyo/simpsons-nerd.gif

lol jk

Laser Show
11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
I went and picked it up this weekend, amazing game. I like that you can lure dragons towards giants and the giants will help destroy them.

boy racer
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Can't stop playing it. I think I logged 30 hours in 3 days right after it came out haha.

ORS
12-05-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm at Level 40, and I ran into my first Elder Dragon. Went at it a bit (I was using Destruction magic - trying to train it up), he was at low health, I was at low health, he landed, I tried to access the menu to use healing potion, but right before I did, he reached out, grabbed me with his mouth, and threw me about 100 feet into the air (this was in the courtyard of the College at Winterhold). Pretty cool. Loaded the autosave from when I arrived there, grabbed my Legendary Daedric Bow with +20 fire damage, put on Krosis (+20% archery) and all my other archery enchanted apparel, and claimed his soul.

Love this game.

jacksonianmarch
12-05-2011, 10:44 AM
It's a great game. I have to up the difficulty, though. I figured out that you could create potions to enhance enchant and smithing and you can enchant armor and rings/amulets with fortify alchemy. I maxed alchemy, enchant and smithing first. Then enchanted helms, gauntlets, necklaces and rings with fortify alchemy, then made potions to fortify enchant. I then reenchanted new items, made another set of potions and continued the line. You eventually max out at 30% fortify enchant potion and a 120% fortify smithing. Then you use the potion to make armor and ring with fortify smithing, then drink the potion of smithing and upgrade you weapons and armor. My armor rating overall is over 1000 and I have a sword with over 350 damage that hits for almost 50 points frost and fire.

ORS
12-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I've read about that, but haven't worked too hard at the alchemy side of it. I'm at 100 Smithing and Enchanting. Time to start leveling Alchemy.

I've also read that effective armor rating has a cap, and although it may show as higher, you can't actually achieve an armor rating over 570-ish (cap is 80% of physical damage). With proper perks/enchants/skill, you can get just about any light armor set improved up to the cap. I haven't read anything about capping weapon effectiveness.

jacksonianmarch
12-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Alchemy makes the game a touch too easy

ORS
12-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Did you spend perks on Alchemy? I haven't yet. I see short-term utility, but I'm not sure I see long-term appeal.

jacksonianmarch
12-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Yes, it is absolutely imperative. I didnt start until late in the game, but I have perks up to 80% improved potions. Now, I can create potions that allow me to carry 120 more lbs, be invisible for 3 minutes, pickpocket almost every time, smith to 120% the strength and enchant up to 30% more. Plus, you can coat your blade in weakness to fire and then have a fire blade and just dominate.

Emmz
12-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I WANT THIS GAME SO BAAAAAD.

Emmz
12-05-2011, 06:02 PM
I WAS GOING TO GET IT FOR MYSELF LATER THIS MONTH BUT NOW I HAVE TO BUY A NEW LAPTOP :<

Divinity
12-05-2011, 06:18 PM
well Christmas is a few weeks away Emmz, maybe Santa will hook you up if you've been a good girl this year ;)

boy racer
12-05-2011, 06:20 PM
It's unreal and absolutely worth $60. The amount of things you can do is staggering.

Emmz
12-05-2011, 06:21 PM
well Christmas is a few weeks away Emmz, maybe Santa will hook you up if you've been a good girl this year ;)

-_-

No.

boy racer
12-05-2011, 06:24 PM
-_-

No.

Skyrim > Laptop

boy racer
12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm at Level 40, and I ran into my first Elder Dragon. Went at it a bit (I was using Destruction magic - trying to train it up), he was at low health, I was at low health, he landed, I tried to access the menu to use healing potion, but right before I did, he reached out, grabbed me with his mouth, and threw me about 100 feet into the air (this was in the courtyard of the College at Winterhold). Pretty cool. Loaded the autosave from when I arrived there, grabbed my Legendary Daedric Bow with +20 fire damage, put on Krosis (+20% archery) and all my other archery enchanted apparel, and claimed his soul.

Love this game.

How'd you get that Daedric Bow?

Emmz
12-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Skyrim > Laptop

No chance. Laptop>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>All.

User Name?
12-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm getting this game after i finish Dark Souls and Skyward Sword. I like the challenge, and that's why i chose Souls over SKyrim.

jacksonianmarch
12-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Just defeated Alduin. Amazing game. I've reached almost 100 hours on the game and I still have the daedric, the temple, the blades, and the college of winterhold plus a shitton of side quests to go. You know what took the most time, though? Becoming thane in all the holds

boy racer
12-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Just defeated Alduin. Amazing game. I've reached almost 100 hours on the game and I still have the daedric, the temple, the blades, and the college of winterhold plus a shitton of side quests to go. You know what took the most time, though? Becoming thane in all the holds

You've been playing at a great pace haha. I have my foot in a bit of each questline. That last part after you defeat Alduin in Sovngarde is awesome right?

jacksonianmarch
12-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I've had a lot of time off and had a few 3 day stretches where I had to work and my wife and daughter went to my in laws house. So I come home, work out, power on then go to bed. It's pretty addictive

jacksonianmarch
12-06-2011, 09:43 AM
You've been playing at a great pace haha. I have my foot in a bit of each questline. That last part after you defeat Alduin in Sovngarde is awesome right?

Elder Scrolls for me always starts out with character building. I'd always create as tough a character as I could then start diving into quests.

ORS
12-06-2011, 11:53 AM
How'd you get that Daedric Bow?
Made it.

I levelled smithing by making truckloads of iron daggers and leather bracers. You get the same amount of smithing credit for everything you create, regardless of how minor an item it is. I selected all the smithing perks.

I also selected enough of the sneak perks to get 3x sneak damage from bows. With my current archery perks + Fortify Archery enchanted gear, this thing does 106 base damage right now (318 if I'm sneaking). Most lone sentinels are insta-kills when I'm sneaking through a dungeon/cave.

ORS
12-06-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm like you, I have my finger in a lot of pies right now.

Jacko, I can't believe you left all the Daedric quests until the end. Azura's quest is available from the start, and you get Azura's star (which can be a Black star that captures NPC souls if you end the story the right way). Endless Grand Souls for enchanting gear is very useful early in the game.

ORS
12-06-2011, 12:02 PM
What system is everyone playing on, XBox360, PS3, or PC?

I'm on 360.

Laser Show
12-06-2011, 12:15 PM
PS3 here

I'm going pretty slow though, I've only got about 15 hours invested

boy racer
12-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Made it.

I levelled smithing by making truckloads of iron daggers and leather bracers. You get the same amount of smithing credit for everything you create, regardless of how minor an item it is. I selected all the smithing perks.

I also selected enough of the sneak perks to get 3x sneak damage from bows. With my current archery perks + Fortify Archery enchanted gear, this thing does 106 base damage right now (318 if I'm sneaking). Most lone sentinels are insta-kills when I'm sneaking through a dungeon/cave.

Awesome, I really have to get my smithing up. I haven't even spent points in it yet, I'm slacking severely.

boy racer
12-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Elder Scrolls for me always starts out with character building. I'd always create as tough a character as I could then start diving into quests.

I'm not patient enough for that usually. In Oblivion I started to level without questing but I just had to dive into the quests.

jacksonianmarch
12-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Made it.

The best way to make money and level quickly is to make a ton of iron daggers, buy filled petty and lesser soul gems then enchant the daggers with absorb health. That enchant will get you a 200 gold profit from each dagger and levels up your enchant quickly.

boy racer
12-06-2011, 09:38 PM
The best way to make money and level quickly is to make a ton of iron daggers, buy filled petty and lesser soul gems then enchant the daggers with absorb health. That enchant will get you a 200 gold profit from each dagger and levels up your enchant quickly.

Yeah, I've heard there are a ton of easy ways to level up certain skills. Like with conjuration, you can summon an atronach then defeat it then just summon it again and repeat.

jacksonianmarch
12-06-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm not patient enough for that usually. In Oblivion I started to level without questing but I just had to dive into the quests.

In Oblivion, you could create a completely invincible character. I had a character with 100% reflect physical damage and 100% resist magic. The only ways I could die was to drown or fall. Right now, I am close to invincible in Skyrim, although I did get fucked up by a rogue mage in a random area that had a staff of fireballs. Hit me 6 times and I died. I must have accidentally not equipped my enchantments that resist magic.

jacksonianmarch
12-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I've heard there are a ton of easy ways to level up certain skills. Like with conjuration, you can summon an atronach then defeat it then just summon it again and repeat.

but with my above method, you make a lot of money. I was creating 20 daggers at a clip, enchanting them and then making 4,000 gold off of them. And as your enchant gets better, the daggers are worth more. By the end, the daggers were worth 900 gold apiece and I'd make a killing off them

Now I just kill dragons, harvest their bones and scales, make a dragonbone cuirass, upgrade it to legendary and sell it to one of my fences from the thieves guild. After you complete the radiant quests, thieves guild fences have 4000 gold on them. I'd kill 2-3 dragons, harvest their stuff, make three cuirasses, upgrade them then sell them. A fully upgraded and enhanced cuirass unenchanted can fetch up to 7000 gold apiece. I'd then buy a bunch of shit off the fence, then sell the cuirass, then sell the same shit back to another fence. Right now, I have fully upgraded the dark brotherhood sanctuary, have all the houses and have them fully upgraded and I still have 30,000 on hand

boy racer
12-06-2011, 10:20 PM
In Oblivion, you could create a completely invincible character. I had a character with 100% reflect physical damage and 100% resist magic. The only ways I could die was to drown or fall. Right now, I am close to invincible in Skyrim, although I did get fucked up by a rogue mage in a random area that had a staff of fireballs. Hit me 6 times and I died. I must have accidentally not equipped my enchantments that resist magic.

but with my above method, you make a lot of money. I was creating 20 daggers at a clip, enchanting them and then making 4,000 gold off of them. And as your enchant gets better, the daggers are worth more. By the end, the daggers were worth 900 gold apiece and I'd make a killing off them

Now I just kill dragons, harvest their bones and scales, make a dragonbone cuirass, upgrade it to legendary and sell it to one of my fences from the thieves guild. After you complete the radiant quests, thieves guild fences have 4000 gold on them. I'd kill 2-3 dragons, harvest their stuff, make three cuirasses, upgrade them then sell them. A fully upgraded and enhanced cuirass unenchanted can fetch up to 7000 gold apiece. I'd then buy a bunch of shit off the fence, then sell the cuirass, then sell the same shit back to another fence. Right now, I have fully upgraded the dark brotherhood sanctuary, have all the houses and have them fully upgraded and I still have 30,000 on hand

Really sounds like you have it down. I have barely enough to furnish the Sanctuary to its fullest. I have to finish the Thieve's Guild questline and up my smithing to get the money ball rolling.

Emmz
12-07-2011, 12:46 AM
WTS>Hooks for money.

ORS
12-07-2011, 08:50 AM
This is exactly what I did to level smithing and enchanting.

EDIT: Although, I don't think the value increases as your enchanting level increases. In fact, at lower levels of enchanting, an iron dagger enchanted with absorb health via a petty soul gem had a base value around 500. As I finished topping out enchanting, the value had dropped to around 390. I think you got the value up to 900 with a larger soul gem. This agrees with what I've read on the subject, that while your enchants become more powerful, for some reason they lose value added. Maybe this is a glitch that has been corrected by a patch. I tend to play while my wife is at work in the home office, and a connection to Xbox Live uses up too much bandwidth that impacts her connection to her work server....therefore, I am not connected to Xbox Live right now, and I have not installed any patches and am playing the unpatched version of the game.

jacksonianmarch
12-11-2011, 08:27 PM
They got up to 900 gold with dual enchant at level 100 on enchant, I used absorb health and damage stamina.

jacksonianmarch
12-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm like you, I have my finger in a lot of pies right now.

Jacko, I can't believe you left all the Daedric quests until the end. Azura's quest is available from the start, and you get Azura's star (which can be a Black star that captures NPC souls if you end the story the right way). Endless Grand Souls for enchanting gear is very useful early in the game.

That and Molag Bal were the only two daedric quests I did. I did Azura pretty early and Molag Bal I fell into while in Solitude (I think).

Laser Show
12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
So I sold my PS3 and bought a 360. Started Skyrim over and am trying to level everything "correctly". I'm going for an Assassin/Illusion hybrid. I'm pretty set on my combat perks, I just don't know which of the trade skill ones I should pick. Any ideas?

ORS
12-14-2011, 01:35 PM
That and Molag Bal were the only two daedric quests I did. I did Azura pretty early and Molag Bal I fell into while in Solitude (I think).
I've done those, and I also got the Skull of Coruption early on.

Right now I'm working on the Stormcloak: Liberation of Skyrim questline. Thinking about doing the Sanguine (Sanguine Rose) and Sheogorath (Wabbajack) quests right after.

And, yes, a dual enchant is worth a lot more. Banish/Absorb Health sends prices through the roof.

ORS
12-14-2011, 01:43 PM
So I sold my PS3 and bought a 360. Started Skyrim over and am trying to level everything "correctly". I'm going for an Assassin/Illusion hybrid. I'm pretty set on my combat perks, I just don't know which of the trade skill ones I should pick. Any ideas?
I took 3 perks in the Pickpocket tree to get +100 carry weight. I also utilized the Steed Stone to add another +100. I hate dropping loot, and with dragon bones being such a capacity drain, making you have to go back and store it for later use all the time because dragons spawn everywhere, the extra capacity helps avoid having to interupt your roaming to unload all the time (at least a little).

I also selected 3 perks in the Speech tree to get to where all the merchants will buy anything from me. That way, I can go into a town with all my loot and sell off almost all of it to the store merchants (definitely all of it when it's a main city with a Thieves Guild fence).

Jacoby_Ellsbury
12-14-2011, 02:28 PM
One of my XBL buddies told me you could re-animate dead bodies and make them your servants. And that you can use telekinesis to stick a bunch of forks in them. And you could kill a chicken and a cause a virtual riot in the town.

This game is now officially on my list.

ORS
12-14-2011, 03:03 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I've also read that you can cause a riot by dropping something as innocuous as a basket from your inventory while in a city. Everyone starts fighting over it.

I haven't done it because I don't want NPC's linked to later missions to die, thus making the mission unavailable later. That said, anarchy will reign supreme when I've got most of the missions done.

Laser Show
12-14-2011, 03:43 PM
I got my sneak up to 100 at the bear in the 1st cave, now I'm at level 21 and there are frost trolls destroying me everywhere. I figure to get my speech, smithing, alchemy, and enchanting up to at least 65-75 tonight, which will in turn drive up my level, but I should be able to get enough gear to offset that.

ORS
12-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Yeah, if you don't level your combat skills (be they melee, archery, or magic) consistenly as you go up, you will get smoked for a bit as they catch up. Leveling your ability to make gear should help, but you'll still have a bit of a rough go of it at first since leveling those things will also level some of your enemies. One thing that will help is this, you'll make a lot of money leveling smithing/enchanting/alchemy at the same time, so pay a trainer in a combat skill the max 5 times at each level.

Keep in mind, to quickly level alchemy you should create the most expensive potions/poisons you can. Don't worry about making combinations that are the most useful to you. You'll end up selling pretty much all of it anyway. The amount you gain toward the next level is dependent on price, and price is dependent on both the type of effect and the number of effects. So, you get some pretty high values from combinations that counteract each other (restore health + damage health, etc.) just because they are multi-effect potions. The most valuable effects are waterbreathing, invisibility, paralyze, and slow. Any multi-effect potion with any of those effects is a money-maker.

I also recommend getting far enough into the Thieves Guild questline to gain access to the fences around Skyrim. Most merchants have between 500 - 1100 gold available to sell them stuff. The fences have 4000. When you get into high level alchemy, you'll be creating potions worth 1000-2000 septims. To unload effeciently, you'll need those fences.

Getting ingredients is easy. You can either run around Skyrim collecting them for free, which is very time consuming. Or you can just hit the cities and clean out each alchemist's shop, which is much faster, and you make so much money with your made potions that you'll still pull in a huge profit. I would make 3-4 laps of the region cleaning out the alchemy shops, stop at my house and put on my alchemy boosting gear, make a truckload of potions, and repeat the process selling potions at each stop. When you purchase things from a merchant, their available gold goes up by the amount that you purchased from them on that stop. So, buy everything they've got, then sell them your potions until their gold is cleaned out and move on.

I leveled alchemy from about 45 to 100 in about 3-4 hours. Time consuming, yes, but now I don't have to mess around with it anymore, and can just create potions that I find useful for my style of game-play.

jacksonianmarch
12-15-2011, 09:53 AM
And levelling alchemy gives you the capability to use the fortify enchant train. I used that and created weapons that are 1 or 2 hit kills. I killed Alduin in 3 on normal difficulty. Obviously, you need certain perks, but it is easy to do.

Now, I did the following. I was exclusively a 1 handed weapon fiend. Actually, I was a dual wielder. And I used the warriors stone to speed up the process. Hack and smash everything in your way. I also levelled smithing, alchemy, and enchant using the methods above. I bought daedra hearts and made all daedric armor, a daedric longsword and a daedric war axe. I obtained multiple grand soul/black soul gems. I used the alchemy perks to get 100% more effect on potions and 25% more effect on fortify potions. I used the enchant perks to double enchant power and get dual enchant. I used the 1 handed perks to get double damage with 1 handed weapons. I used the heavy armor perks to double heavy armor strength and the perk to make heavy armor weightless when worn. Then, I used the alchemy/enchant train to create 30% fortify enchant potions. I then used the alchemy train to create 125% fortify smithing potions and created a set of hide armor, ring and amulet to fortify weapon smithing. I created and upgraded everything daedric to ridiculous damage and armor rating levels, then fortified them as follows....

Ring- fortify one handed, resist magic
Amulet- fortify one handed, resist magic
Helm- fortify destruction, fortify magic regen
Cuirass- fortify health, fortify destruction
Gauntlets- fortify carry weight, fortify one handed
Boots- fortify carry weight, fortify endurance
Shield- fortify health, fortify resist magic
Longsword- Fire damage, absorb health
War Axe- Frost damage, soul trap

When I faced a strong magic opponent, I would equip the shield and had nearly a 70% resist magic enchant. Otherwise, I just housed enemies with dual wield. I had over 400 damage on each weapon with nearly 90 points of additional damage in enchants and had an armor rating over 1100. I was killed once in this form, and it was when I had dual wield equipped and ran against a strong mage with a staff of fireballs who kicked my ass after I lost half my health from a fall. Otherwise, I really was close to unkillable.

To make it more difficult, I am now using light armor and a 2 handed weapon. I still clean house, but have died a couple times.

Laser Show
12-15-2011, 12:31 PM
I feel like such an ass. I ran my ass off from Whiterun to Riften to start the Thieves Guild stuff. As I pulled up to the city, I saw the stables and remembered you can buy a wagon trip. -_-

Last night, I was able to get my speech up to 80 for the perks, then grinded alchemy for awhile. It is a very slow skill so far, hopefully it picks up.

jacksonianmarch
12-15-2011, 12:35 PM
It does. Look up the alchemy ingredients online and make all different types of potions. The most expensive ones will raise your alchemy the quickest

Reck
12-15-2011, 03:11 PM
This game is broken on the PS3.

Literally unplayable because of the massive glitches that are in this game.

Laser Show
12-15-2011, 03:33 PM
This game is broken on the PS3.

Literally unplayable because of the massive glitches that are in this game.

That was actually one of the reasons I ditched my PS3 for a 360. Between that glitch and PSN going down for weeks earlier this year, I just got sick of it.

Reck
12-15-2011, 03:48 PM
That was actually one of the reasons I ditched my PS3 for a 360. Between that glitch and PSN going down for weeks earlier this year, I just got sick of it.

Why would you do that?

You could use the PS3 as a Blu Ray Player if you dont want to play games in it.

Is really Bethesda's fault. The system has little to do with the glitches.

I tend to stay away from Bethesda made games as all their games are glitch filled. (See Fallout 3, Fallout Ne Vegas)

Laser Show
12-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Why would you do that?

You could use the PS3 as a Blu Ray Player if you dont want to play games in it.

Is really Bethesda's fault. The system has little to do with the glitches.

I tend to stay away from Bethesda made games as all their games are glitch filled. (See Fallout 3, Fallout Ne Vegas)

I tend to download movies, watch them on netflix, or rent them on directv. I have a few blu rays but I think they were a waste of money. Plus the 360's controller feels much nicer and kinect > move.

Reck
12-15-2011, 05:36 PM
I dont buy many movies myself but Blu Ray is here to stay. There is no denying that.

The Kinect is too expensive. I would suspect if you're going to spend 150 bucks it sure as hell better be then the move which is significantly cheaper.

mvp 78
12-15-2011, 05:40 PM
About 4-5 hours in. As usual, my first character is a redguard and I'll just hack and slash for 30-40 hours then create a more stealthy character. Didn't waste too much time beefing up sneak at the bear.

So far, the game is beautiful. I prefer the controls for oblivion, but will get used to it soon enough.

User Name?
12-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Not going to buy this until they patch the problem on PS3. Made the right choice going with Dark Souls.

ORS
12-16-2011, 09:58 AM
I feel like such an ass. I ran my ass off from Whiterun to Riften to start the Thieves Guild stuff. As I pulled up to the city, I saw the stables and remembered you can buy a wagon trip. -_-

Last night, I was able to get my speech up to 80 for the perks, then grinded alchemy for awhile. It is a very slow skill so far, hopefully it picks up.
There's a glitch to break the game with Alchemy + Fortify Restoration.

Put on all your Fortify Alchemy gear
Craft a Fortify Restoration potion
Leave the alchemy table
Drink the Fortify Restoration potion
Take off the gear
Put the gear back on
You active effects for Fortify Alchemy will have gone up by the amount of the Fortify Restoration potion
Repeat, or craft a Fortify Smithing/Enchanting potion to juke your gear

For example, I tried it last night with my Fortify Enchanting stuff. Maxed out, with 5/5 alchemy boost perks and the +25% beneficial effect perk, I get a Fortify Enchanting potion that boosts enchanting by +29%. That maxes the effect of a Fortify Alchemy on a piece of gear at +22%. One loop of that sequence made the Fortify Enchanting potion I made go up to +46%. If you repeat that loop a few times, you can get insane fortifications. The place where I read about it people were reporting results where they fortified smithing to get weapon damage into the millions.

I tried it last night, again just one loop to see if it worked, and I didn't save the game. I don't like playing with a glitch like that, but you can juke the game.

Laser Show
12-16-2011, 12:58 PM
This is my favorite video yet, this guy is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Robbaz#p/u/17/uhBiNx749Zw

mvp 78
12-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Morrowind had an alchemy glitch where people can do speed runs on the main story line.

I don't see the enjoyment in an unkillable character. Had a 100% invisible Oblivion character and I got bored after destroying a whole city.

mvp 78
12-24-2011, 03:29 PM
The PS3 version now freezes every few hours on load screens. We'll see if they put out another patch.

Any suggestions on which quests I should tackle (Dark Brotherhood, Companions, etc)?

ORS
12-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Started over. In my first character build, which I got up to level 56, I selected a few perks that I really don't care all that much about. Here's my new guy (currently at level 20)....

Nord, named Hans Delbruk (he of the not "abby normal" brain in the brain depository....where's that from?)
Blessing of Mara - 15% magic resistance
Lord Stone - +50 armor, 25% magic resistance
I'll get Alteration perks for spell reduction up to Expert + 30% magic resistance
Battle Skills - Light Armor, Two-Handed, Archery
All smithing (for light armor and Ebony/Daedric weapons)
All enchanting perks except the recharge on enchanted weapons
Seven alchemy perks to make the strongest potions
Destruction perks for spell cost reduction up to Master
Conjuration perks for spell cost reduction up to Expert
Illusion perks for spell cost reduction up to Expert
Three Pickpocketing perks to get Extra Pockets (+100 carry weight)
Three Speech perks to be able to trade anything with anybody
Three Sneak perks to do 3x damage with bows on sneak attack (and 6x damage with daggers)

I'll add enchantments to provide Frost/Fire/Shock resistance. All combined, I'll have 70% magic resistance, and my elemental resistances from my race (Nords are 50% resistant to frost) and enchanted gear will all stack on that at 80%, meaning I'll be 94% resistant to anything a slimy mage throws at me.

FUS ro-DAH!

RedSoxfanforlife305
12-29-2011, 12:53 PM
No wonder why you're never posting, you're too busy playing this game. :lol:

User Name?
01-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Getting this the second they release the next patch for PS3 which supposedly FINALLY fixes the FPS issues. Can't wait.

cljunior
01-18-2012, 09:07 PM
I finished this over the Xmas break ... probably played for at least 100 hours.

Such an awesome game. It's so in depth. The bug with Esbern was annoying until I found a fix.

It's a pity I don't have time to play stuff like this outside of the holidays!

User Name?
01-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Broke down and bought this along with Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2. Goodbye Social life for the next couple of months!

Flynnatic10
01-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I used to play skyrim, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Emmz
01-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Ugh, no.

jacksonianmarch
01-21-2012, 07:37 AM
I did almost everything prior to the holidays. The save game issue makes the game almost unplayable at the end

ORS
01-21-2012, 07:40 AM
I did almost everything prior to the holidays. The save game issue makes the game almost unplayable at the end
PS3?

mvp 78
01-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I have a bounty in Solitude. Whenever I stop in, the guards give me a beatdown. Is there a way to pay it off like in Oblivion, or should I just avoid going there? I've tried sheathing my weapons, but the still come after me.

User Name?
01-21-2012, 03:27 PM
I have a bounty in Solitude. Whenever I stop in, the guards give me a beatdown. Is there a way to pay it off like in Oblivion, or should I just avoid going there? I've tried sheathing my weapons, but the still come after me.

I think there's a perk in the speech category that would allow you to bribe them.

ORS
01-21-2012, 03:33 PM
To bribe them, one need to get into the speech options like you would for paying the bounty. I've had the guards aggro on me in the past without my weapon drawn, and couldn't get into speech with them. I tried drawing a weapon then sheathing it to yield, and that worked for me.

User Name?
01-21-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm creating to create a dual-weild warrior Redguard. Any ideas on perk builds?

ORS
01-21-2012, 08:51 PM
What armor type? You can limit your smithing to the light or heavy armor sides of the tree. However, the heavy armor side gives you the best weapons (Daedric and Ebony). That, plus enchanting/alchemy will allow you to pimp your gear the most.

After that, it's all about how you play.

User Name?
01-21-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm thinking of One-Hand Weapons, Enchanting, Heavy Armor, and Alchemy. After that, i don't know what to get honestly.....

User Name?
01-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Oh, and Smithing too.....

jacksonianmarch
01-22-2012, 05:27 AM
PS3?

Yeah, as you progress further, you save game file expands. Eventually, the file gets so large that the frame rate drops to a crawl and the game freezes

jacksonianmarch
01-22-2012, 05:32 AM
UN, I maxed out smithing, enchanting, and alchemy and legally created daedric armor and weapons that put my armor and damage ratings through the roof. I then maxed out one handed with the 100% damage increase perks and heavy armor with the 100% armor boost. My enchantments were fortify one handed, fortify destruction and resist magic as much as I could. My dual wield swordsman had one sword with soul trap plus fire damage and another with frost damage and absorb health. The game was so easy that I subsequently made a daedric greatsword and dragon light armor and started beefing that up

mvp 78
01-22-2012, 10:43 AM
To bribe them, one need to get into the speech options like you would for paying the bounty. I've had the guards aggro on me in the past without my weapon drawn, and couldn't get into speech with them. I tried drawing a weapon then sheathing it to yield, and that worked for me.

I tried that a bunch this AM. Didn't work though. It's stupid because the bounty is only 40. I'll just keep playing through other areas I guess.

User Name?
01-22-2012, 12:01 PM
UN, I maxed out smithing, enchanting, and alchemy and legally created daedric armor and weapons that put my armor and damage ratings through the roof. I then maxed out one handed with the 100% damage increase perks and heavy armor with the 100% armor boost. My enchantments were fortify one handed, fortify destruction and resist magic as much as I could. My dual wield swordsman had one sword with soul trap plus fire damage and another with frost damage and absorb health. The game was so easy that I subsequently made a daedric greatsword and dragon light armor and started beefing that up

Thanks! That's exactly what i was looking for.

User Name?
01-25-2012, 07:04 PM
My job and social life are interfering with my Skyrim time. I am not pleased.

RedSoxfanforlife305
01-25-2012, 07:18 PM
What a bad life you live :(

mvp 78
01-25-2012, 08:15 PM
My job and social life are interfering with my Skyrim time. I am not pleased.

Try having a baby. If I'm lucky, he passes out on my lap and I can play for an hour.

User Name?
01-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Try having a baby. If I'm lucky, he passes out on my lap and I can play for an hour.

I want one of those. :(

Laser Show
01-25-2012, 08:38 PM
I've got a wife, 4 kids, and work 56 hours a week. My Skyrim time is at most, 2-3 hours a week. It sucks

User Name?
01-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Holy shit bro.

jacksonianmarch
01-25-2012, 08:52 PM
I'll tell you, I had a ton of Skyrim time when my job was at its worst. Working 9 overnights in November caused my wife to take the baby to her parents plenty of times so she could get some help. So I got home, slept for a few hours, then played Skyrim until my eyes got bloodshot. Now, my schedule is better, I am home more and the baby is growing up in front of my eyes. I hardly have the impetus to play. Well, also I am doing p90x, which takes away a lot of time and energy

User Name?
01-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I did a whole month of P90X, started low-carbing and ended up quitting both. Now i'm low-carbing again, and will try P90X again. Hopefully i'll stick to it this time.

jacksonianmarch
01-26-2012, 11:36 PM
I am doing p90x without the diet. Diets arent sustainable, but working out is.

User Name?
01-27-2012, 11:39 AM
It depends on the type of diet. I know some people who've been on phase three on Atkins for over 10 years. Granted, they're diabetics, so they're kind of obligated by circumstance.

User Name?
01-30-2012, 04:05 AM
Goddamnit, now Mass Effect 2 is cutting into my Skyrim time.

We are not amused.

Laser Show
01-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Lol. I've gotten tired of Skyrim and am trying to sell it now. I picked up Mass Effect 1 and 2 this weekend and I'm a good hour into the 1st one so far. I already love it and see why it's rated so highly. I went with a Vanguard, what would you recommend?

User Name?
01-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Lol. I've gotten tired of Skyrim and am trying to sell it now. I picked up Mass Effect 1 and 2 this weekend and I'm a good hour into the 1st one so far. I already love it and see why it's rated so highly. I went with a Vanguard, what would you recommend?

Went with Vanguard myself. It's the most difficult class to play as, but also the most interesting.

mvp 78
01-31-2012, 06:21 AM
Mass Effect was fun the first play through. Driving around in the vehicle was dumb though. Couldn't sit through it a second time. Too repetitive.

User Name?
01-31-2012, 08:14 AM
Mass Effect was fun the first play through. Driving around in the vehicle was dumb though. Couldn't sit through it a second time. Too repetitive.

Mass Effect's 2 character development is awesome though. I could play the entire time just talking to people without firing a single shot and still have fun. It's that good.

The resource-gathering sequences are boring as hell though.

On a side note to Laser Show, Vanguard is fun and all, but you reach a point where you can add a Sniper Rifle to your arsenal, and then two words: Fuck Shotguns.

Laser Show
01-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Mass Effect's 2 character development is awesome though. I could play the entire time just talking to people without firing a single shot and still have fun. It's that good.

The resource-gathering sequences are boring as hell though.

On a side note to Laser Show, Vanguard is fun and all, but you reach a point where you can add a Sniper Rifle to your arsenal, and then two words: Fuck Shotguns.

Right now I'm using a pistol, but I'd much rather go with a Sniper Rifle. Hopefully I can get in a couple of hours tonight

User Name?
01-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Right now I'm using a pistol, but I'd much rather go with a Sniper Rifle. Hopefully I can get in a couple of hours tonight

Heavy Pistols are pretty good. Enjoy!

mvp 78
02-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Mass Effect's 2 character development is awesome though. I could play the entire time just talking to people without firing a single shot and still have fun.

I hate all that jabberjawing. Just give me some special powers and allow me to slice someone in two. The less cutscenes, the better.

User Name?
02-02-2012, 09:50 AM
I hate all that jabberjawing. Just give me some special powers and allow me to slice someone in two. The less cutscenes, the better.

I love it. Have you ever sat down to just listen to Garrus talk? It's like Charlie Sheen with a sniper rifle.

Palodios
02-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I love it. Have you ever sat down to just listen to Garrus talk? It's like Charlie Sheen with a sniper rifle.

I've had a love-hate relationship with Mass Effect 2. It was a phenomenal game but I never had the chance to play the original, so it kind of felt like being with a beautiful woman who thought you were a different dude.

User Name?
02-02-2012, 12:51 PM
I've had a love-hate relationship with Mass Effect 2. It was a phenomenal game but I never had the chance to play the original, so it kind of felt like being with a beautiful woman who thought you were a different dude.

I watched the digital comic and read about the events of the first one. It was enough for me.

Also, Garrus. My number one reason to play the game.

Palodios
02-02-2012, 12:55 PM
I watched the digital comic and read about the events of the first one. It was enough for me.

Also, Garrus. My number one reason to play the game.

Not sure why, but my copy didn't come with the digital copy-- maybe because it was a rental? I didn't really want to spoil it anyway. I'll buy a computer to play it eventually.

User Name?
02-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Not sure why, but my copy didn't come with the digital copy-- maybe because it was a rental? I didn't really want to spoil it anyway. I'll buy a computer to play it eventually.

A bunch of the stuff that happened in the first one is explained in the second one anyways.

Also, if you have a PS3, new copies come with the Digital Comic and a bunch of DLC's.

mvp 78
02-02-2012, 07:56 PM
The frame rate on the PS3 is killing me in Skyrim. Maybe I'll get an Xbox (which i'm 2/2 on red light of death).

User Name?
02-02-2012, 08:07 PM
The frame rate on the PS3 is killing me in Skyrim. Maybe I'll get an Xbox (which i'm 2/2 on red light of death).

Did you download the patch? It came out yesterday.

Reck
02-02-2012, 09:21 PM

It will be better on the 360 but dont think it will solve your problem.

The game itself is the problem.

One two many bugs.

mvp 78
02-04-2012, 10:41 PM
It will be better on the 360 but dont think it will solve your problem.

The game itself is the problem.

One two many bugs.

Bugs are fine (and typical for the series), but framerate and loading screen problems were not a problem for me with Oblivion/Morrowind.

ORS
02-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Be careful posting in this thread. If you dare challenge the absurd logic of Mutt-n-Jeff in another thread, you'll get accused of playing too many video games.

User Name?
02-05-2012, 04:00 AM
I'd be offended if it wasn't true in my case.....

mvp 78
02-11-2012, 07:52 AM
The dark brotherhood and thieves guild quests were better in Oblivion. There are a lot more side quests in Skyrim, but the main faction quests seem to have been neutered.

VA Sox Fan
02-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Be careful posting in this thread. If you dare challenge the absurd logic of Mutt-n-Jeff in another thread, you'll get accused of playing too many video games.

:lol:

I remember that. Quite a stretch huh?

mvp 78
01-25-2013, 09:42 PM
I miss playing this game.