PDA

View Full Version : Favorite band ever. Go.

boy racer
12-05-2011, 11:00 PM
For me it's The Smiths. I've been listening to them for the longest time and I don't think I could ever get sick of their music. Consequently, Morrissey is also one of my favorites ever.

Palodios
12-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Tough call. Collective Soul as of right now. When they release more albums, it could very easily be Two Door Cinema Club.

iortiz
12-05-2011, 11:20 PM
For me it's The Smiths. I've been listening to them for the longest time and I don't think I could ever get sick of their music. Consequently, Morrissey is also one of my favorites ever.

The Smiths are cool. Great band.

It's funny, I haven't asked to myself this question before. I'm not sure if I can answer this question.

Maybe Pink Floyd is greatest band I've ever listened, but still would be unfair to me If I only name one.

These days I've been listening Jane a lot.

BTW I like this thread :thumbsup:

iortiz
12-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Tough call. Collective Soul as of right now. When they release more albums, it could very easily be Two Door Cinema Club.

December and Shine are my favorite songs.

CanadianSox
12-05-2011, 11:31 PM
The Doors.

boy racer
12-05-2011, 11:34 PM

I had just recently heard about Two Door Cinema Club and I was impressed. Not that I'm a musical guru or anything but the more well-known bands nowadays bore me to death for some reason.

boy racer
12-05-2011, 11:35 PM
The Smiths are cool. Great band.

It's funny, I haven't asked to myself this question before. I'm not sure if I can answer this question.

Maybe Pink Floyd is greatest band I've ever listened, but still would be unfair to me If I only name one.

These days I've been listening Jane a lot.

BTW I like this thread :thumbsup:

Pink Floyd is the one band that I'll always enjoy immensely but I'd fall asleep during one of their performances haha.

iortiz
12-05-2011, 11:45 PM
Pink Floyd is the one band that I'll always enjoy immensely but I'd fall asleep during one of their performances haha.

:lol:

Really?

They've been in Mexico a couple of times and I didn't have the opportunity to assist. A friend of mine who is a die hard pink Floyd fan has been in every single concert that they gave in my country. Actually, he already bought tickets for the concert that they will give in Miami next June or July. He has been in a lot rock concerts and he says that the most impressive concerts that he has assisted are those when PF plays. I have understood that they will come again somewhen in 2012, hopefully I'll be there.

Soxfan#1
12-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Dave Matthews Band

boy racer
12-05-2011, 11:50 PM
:lol:

Really?

They've been in Mexico a couple of times and I didn't have the opportunity to assist. A friend of mine who is a die hard pink Floyd fan has been in every single concert that they gave in my country. Actually, he already bought tickets for the concert that they will give in Miami next June or July. He has been in a lot rock concerts and he says that the most impressive concerts that he has assisted are those when PF plays. I have understood that they will come again somewhen in 2012, hopefully I'll be there.

That is awesome. I hardly know anyone who's seen them at least once which I find strange. I'd like to see them once and prove myself wrong.

BigPapiEnFuego
12-06-2011, 12:02 AM
I literally cannot pick a favorite band. I have tons of favorites, and for different reasons. Metallica is one of my all time favorites because it's how I got into metal and I wouldn't be a bass player today if it wasn't for Cliff Burton. Slayer is in that category too. Mastodon is my favorite current metal band. King Crimson would be my favorite prog band. Black Sabbath is also one of my favorite bands. Their early material is insanely influential to me.

Emmz
Hmmm, I'll have to say The Misfits or Black Flag, Rage Against the Machine is up there.

BigPapiEnFuego
I literally cannot pick a favorite band. I have tons of favorites, and for different reasons. Metallica is one of my all time favorites because it's how I got into metal and I wouldn't be a bass player today if it wasn't for Cliff Burton. Slayer is in that category too. Mastodon is my favorite current metal band. King Crimson would be my favorite prog band. Black Sabbath is also one of my favorite bands. Their early material is insanely influential to me.

Emmz
12-06-2011, 12:09 AM
I just like my hardcore, I agree it's too tough to pick one, after posting, I can think of like 20 other bands, and there's already a thread for favorite music artists/songs.

Someone said The Smiths, they're definitely in my top 20-30. Bad Brains, Suicidal Tendencies, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple... That's just rock/sub groups associated with rock.

I could sit here for like a couple hours listing my favorites, but I'm sort of an audiophile I guess would be the right word for it. I don't think it's normal to be as addicted to music as I am.

boy racer
12-06-2011, 12:18 AM
I just like my hardcore, I agree it's too tough to pick one, after posting, I can think of like 20 other bands, and there's already a thread for favorite music artists/songs.

Someone said The Smiths, they're definitely in my top 20-30. Bad Brains, Suicidal Tendencies, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple... That's just rock/sub groups associated with rock.

I could sit here for like a couple hours listing my favorites, but I'm sort of an audiophile I guess would be the right word for it. I don't think it's normal to be as addicted to music as I am.

I used to listen to a great deal of hardcore. Are you into Void or SSD?

boy racer
12-06-2011, 12:19 AM

I feel like if I started listening to Slayer in middle school they'd be my favorite band ever by now haha.

Emmz
12-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Bob Marley, various Jack White bands, Pixies, Alice In Chains, Joy Division, Ween, The Black Keys, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Elvis.

Meh, too much to even think of which one's my favorite. That's not even half the bands in the discussion.

Emmz
12-06-2011, 12:23 AM
I used to listen to a great deal of hardcore. Are you into Void or SSD?

Yeah, definitely listen to both of those. I listen to hardcore more than all other genres I'd say, so thus I have a lot of it.

I don't even think I could pick my favorite hardcore band.

Emmz
12-06-2011, 12:25 AM
DRI, Murphy's Law, Dead Kennedy's, Circle Jerks, The Germs, Cro-Mags.

boy racer
12-06-2011, 12:28 AM
DRI, Murphy's Law, Dead Kennedy's, Circle Jerks, The Germs, Cro-Mags.

Awesome bands. I saw the Cro-Mags in December of '08. It is one of the best shows I've been to.

boy racer
12-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Bob Marley, various Jack White bands, Pixies, Alice In Chains, Joy Division, Ween, The Black Keys, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Elvis.

Meh, too much to even think of which one's my favorite. That's not even half the bands in the discussion.

Also Joy Division is in my top favorites also. Love 'em.

iortiz
12-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Also Joy Division is in my top favorites also. Love 'em.

Joy Division is awesome. Maybe my faviorite song is New Dawn Fades.

Just like Emmz, I declare myself a music addict too. :D

boy racer
12-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Joy Division is awesome. Maybe my faviorite song is New Dawn Fades.

Just like Emmz, I declare myself a music addict too. :D

One of the most emotional JD songs in my opinion.

Youk Of The Nation
12-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Can't pick a favorite.

iortiz
12-06-2011, 12:40 AM
One of the most emotional JD songs in my opinion.

You betcha.

boy racer
12-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Can't pick a favorite.

Some of your favorites?

Youk Of The Nation
12-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Some of your favorites?

Billy Joel, Avril Lavigne, Weird Al Yankovic, the Kinks, the Dollyrots, the Doors, Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, the Cars...a few other bands have a few songs I like.

BigPapiEnFuego
12-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Awesome bands. I saw the Cro-Mags in December of '08. It is one of the best shows I've been to.

Fuck yeah Cro-Mags! I could of seen them at the New England Hardcore/Metal festival a year or 2 ago. Wish I had. My friends said it was awesome.

Emmz
12-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Agnostic Front, Husker Du, Jerry's Kids, Reagan Youth, Angry Samoans.

I don't think I can get enough hardcore. I hate when people say that Rise Against is hardcore, that crap is just another form of modern alternative rock, I used to listen to lots of that post-whatever stuff, until I realized how shitty all of it is. Some of it I listen to for nostalgia's sake though.

boy racer
12-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Fuck yeah Cro-Mags! I could of seen them at the New England Hardcore/Metal festival a year or 2 ago. Wish I had. My friends said it was awesome.

Yeah they put on quite the show. It was sick to see a legendary NYHC band.

boy racer
12-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Agnostic Front, Husker Du, Jerry's Kids, Reagan Youth, Angry Samoans.

I don't think I can get enough hardcore. I hate when people say that Rise Against is hardcore, that crap is just another form of modern alternative rock, I used to listen to lots of that post-whatever stuff, until I realized how shitty all of it is. Some of it I listen to for nostalgia's sake though.

Haha I feel the same way about Rise Against. They have hardcore influences/tendencies but they just aren't hardcore at all. What do you mean post-whatever? I hope you don't mean Rites of Spring!

Emmz
12-06-2011, 01:36 AM
all those post-[insert classic genre here] bands suck ass.

BigPapiEnFuego
12-06-2011, 01:48 AM
That type of shit is pop-punk I guess, which tends to be a void of a genre. Post-Hardcore is probably the term you all were looking for. A lot of it is bad emo shit, but some of it can be good (at the drive-in is probably the only post-hardcore band I can think of that I like though)

all those post-[insert classic genre here] bands suck ass.

sweet generalization ;)

Post-Rock and Post-Metal are 2 really great sub-genres. 2 of my favorite really.

boy racer
12-06-2011, 02:00 AM
That type of shit is pop-punk I guess, which tends to be a void of a genre. Post-Hardcore is probably the term you all were looking for. A lot of it is bad emo shit, but some of it can be good (at the drive-in is probably the only post-hardcore band I can think of that I like though)

sweet generalization ;)

Post-Rock and Post-Metal are 2 really great sub-genres. 2 of my favorite really.

I really like Bearvsshark too

Jacoby_Ellsbury
12-06-2011, 02:38 AM
I don't really have a definitive favorite, it changes every couple of months. Lately I'm on a Maiden kick.

VA Sox Fan
12-06-2011, 07:48 AM
The Beatles

Laser Show
12-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Rancid, The Misfits, Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Zeppelin, or Metallica. I could listen to any of them for hours and hours on end.

yeszir
12-06-2011, 09:01 AM
The Beatles, Wilco, Paul Simon

boy racer
12-06-2011, 02:43 PM
New Order, Lou Reed, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Nico, Cocteau Twins, Sandie Shaw

ORS
12-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Tool.

VA Sox Fan
12-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Tool.

You said Tool. ;):D

boy racer
12-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Tool.

Seeing their music videos as a kid profoundly disturbed me haha.

Emmz
12-07-2011, 12:52 AM
yeszir is definitely a hipster.

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Venom, Slayer, 80s Metallica, Megadeth, NWA, Eazy E, Public Enemy, Ice Cube, EPMD, Cypress Hill, Nas.

Emmz
12-07-2011, 01:10 AM
sweet generalization ;)

:<

I'm a post-bigot.

msubulldogs21
12-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Favorite band? What a tough question. It's nearly impossible for me to narrow it down to one, but if I had to pick I would say The Avett Brothers. Saw them here at college live and that just put them over the top for me. They are phenomenal.

Along with The Avett Brothers, some of my favorites are 311, Jimmy Eat World, The Gaslight Anthem, Breaking Benjamin, blink-182, MGMT, Rammstein, The Decemberists, and Chevelle... as well as a host of other bands.

boy racer
12-07-2011, 01:56 AM
http://mccoysapio.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/nirvana-bleach.jpg

boy racer
12-07-2011, 01:56 AM
yeszir is definitely a hipster.

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Venom, Slayer, 80s Metallica, Megadeth, NWA, Eazy E, Public Enemy, Ice Cube, EPMD, Cypress Hill, Nas.

Venom was great. Now, not so much.

Emmz
12-07-2011, 03:01 AM
http://mccoysapio.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/nirvana-bleach.jpg

Easily my favorite Nirvana album.

boy racer
12-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Likewise.

seabeachfred
12-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Even though I don't have a drop of Irish blood in my body I just love Irish music and out here in Southern California there is a band called THE FENIANS. Their specialty is Irish music even though they can do classic rock, a little Blue Grass and some great instrumental music of an era of the early 60's. They're from Orange County, California, but they now travel all over the country three or four months out of the year. Any of you like Irish music, these guys are your ticket. You listen to the and you become fans for life.

Divinity
12-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Picking one band is impossible for me, there's at least a dozen that could be in the discussion

Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Queen, The Eagles, Metallica, U2, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Aerosmith, Gun's n Roses, Nirvana

boy racer
12-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Picking one band is impossible for me, there's at least a dozen that could be in the discussion

Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Queen, The Eagles, Metallica, U2, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Aerosmith, Gun's n Roses, Nirvana

U2 and Nirvana :thumbsup:

iortiz
12-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Great taste and mix of pop/rock styles.

I love all of them.

Emmz
12-07-2011, 05:55 PM
The Strokes are good, The Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys, sort of indie rock stuff. As far as mainstream rock goes, the only one I really care much for is System of a Down now. Indie is really the only rock genre atm thats any good, it's not really much of a genre though, it's just mostly the stuff that would have been classified as alternative if alternative wasn't so mainstream, and still had some artistic value in it.

I also highly recommend The Eagles of Death Metal, The Von Bondies, The Vines and Cheeseburger for indie rock bands.

boy racer
12-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Whenever I think of 'alternative' I think of bands like Sense Field, Seaweed, and Quicksand. But I guess you could group all of those bands into post-hardcore. Definitely for Quicksand at least, Walter Schreifels was in Gorilla Biscuits.

Emmz
12-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Eh, if it's not played on those mainstream stations, it's not really alt rock these days. Alt rock has evolved into not really being alternative at all anymore. It's just those bands who copy alt rock styles, except without the attitude. Nickelback, Staind, Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Godsmack, shit like that. Puddle of Mudd and Godsmack are so shameless, they rip off Nirvana and Alice In Chains horrendously. It's actually pretty hilarious how much Godsmack knocks AIC off.

Godsmack's logo:

http://th24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Terbear11581/th_godsmack_logo.gif

AIC's logo:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GritAB6GzNE/S8mDuuOvKkI/AAAAAAAAADs/AFm0spbEijI/s1600/aliceinchainslogo.jpg

Faceless by Godsmack

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d2/Godsmack_faceless.jpg/220px-Godsmack_faceless.jpg

Facelift by AIC

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JE69Ud-uL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Love, Hate, Love" by AIC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_zj3Yfbk6o

"Love, Hate, Sex, Pain" by Godsmack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObYj0Zmfbpo

Did anyone else laugh, how about when you consider the Godsmack lead singer claims that their band's name was not named after the AIC record "Godsmack".

So did they rip AIC off, or did they rip AIC off?

VA Sox Fan
12-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Beatles are my numero uno (as I posted earlier). But also LOVE, Billy Joel, Foo Fighters, Prince, Stones, Elton John, Talking Heads, Bruce Springsteen (earlier stuff), Bonnie Raitt, Ben Folds Five, Dave Matthews.

Dave Grohl's voice, makes me melt.

Emmz
12-07-2011, 10:10 PM
What's odd is he's a better vocalist and guitarist than his old band leader, Kurt Cobain, but Kurt gets top 10 on like every guitarist list ever, even though he's absolutely terrible at playing guitar. I love Nirvana, and Kurt is a legend, but he should be given props for what he's actually good at. Dave Grohl could never in a million years write as incredible lyrics as Kurt, even if he has passed him up on other talents.

boy racer
12-08-2011, 01:37 AM
What's odd is he's a better vocalist and guitarist than his old band leader, Kurt Cobain, but Kurt gets top 10 on like every guitarist list ever, even though he's absolutely terrible at playing guitar. I love Nirvana, and Kurt is a legend, but he should be given props for what he's actually good at. Dave Grohl could never in a million years write as incredible lyrics as Kurt, even if he has passed him up on other talents.

Yeah, Kurt wasn't the best guitar player at all. Iconic, yes, but not as skilled as others. What made his lyrics so unique was his distorted and unique way of looking at things.

boy racer
12-08-2011, 01:37 AM
It's been a while since I've heard the name Puddle of Mudd hahaha.

Emmz
12-08-2011, 02:32 AM
They suck, I used to like that crap, I still like some of it because of nostalgia, even though I know it's crappy music brought to us by knock-off artists. I even like a couple of Godsmack songs that came out in the late 90s. I just consider that stuff as guilty pleasure.

boy racer
12-08-2011, 02:35 AM
They suck, I used to like that crap, I still like some of it because of nostalgia, even though I know it's crappy music brought to us by knock-off artists. I even like a couple of Godsmack songs that came out in the late 90s. I just consider that stuff as guilty pleasure.

I

STAND ALONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Emmz
12-08-2011, 02:55 AM
-.-

God I really don't want to listen to my copy of Faceless right now, or any other of that Nu Metal crap I used to like a lot. I've really refined my tastes over the last 2 years and expanded my horizons, but I still got a soft spot for all that stuff that was fun to listen to when I had no good taste.

Emmz
12-08-2011, 02:56 AM
OK...

NOW I GOT AWAKE STUCK IN MY HEAD! Q.Q

boy racer
12-08-2011, 03:08 AM
OK...

NOW I GOT AWAKE STUCK IN MY HEAD! Q.Q

;)

Emmz
12-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Animal Collective is really good if you like psychedelic music, they're one of my favorite bands of right now.

boy racer
12-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Animal Collective is really good if you like psychedelic music, they're one of my favorite bands of right now.

I've listened to them before and I'm not into 'em.

Emmz
12-11-2011, 08:17 PM
They're spacey though, it's a different taste that most people wouldn't be into.

Northern Star
12-12-2011, 08:27 PM

Easily the worst of the three, and still a very good one. I love how all three are all so different. Sometimes I wonder what the next one would have sounded like.

Northern Star
12-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Dave Grohl could never in a million years write as incredible lyrics as Kurt, even if he has passed him up on other talents.

Everlong surpasses anything that Cobain ever wrote.

Emmz
12-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Easily the worst of the three, and still a very good one. I love how all three are all so different. Sometimes I wonder what the next one would have sounded like.

Why, because it wasn't overproduced?

Everlong surpasses anything that Cobain ever wrote.

Good song but no. People have lyrical preferences, but I can't take you seriously, since you like Friday by Rebecca Black.

redsoxrules
12-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Metallica

Emmz
12-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Grats on post 9,000. You need 1 more post to have OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAND!!!!

redsoxrules
12-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Grats on post 9,000. You need 1 more post to have OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAND!!!!

Thx and here's 9001 ;)

Emmz
12-12-2011, 09:57 PM
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/1/1e/Over_9000_Vector_by_Vernacular.jpg/618px-Over_9000_Vector_by_Vernacular.jpg

Spudboy
12-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Having seen hundreds of bands live, owning about 4000 records, and of course being an old-timey fuck, I have an opinion.

Mink DeVill, Elvis Costello And The Attractions and three local Boston Bands. Vervous Eaters, Luna, The Atlantics.

Emmz
12-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Having seen hundreds of bands live, owning about 4000 records, and of course being an old-timey fuck, I have an opinion.

Mink DeVill, Elvis Costello And The Attractions and three local Boston Bands. Vervous Eaters, Luna, The Atlantics.

I would love to have seen some of those old Boston hardcore punk acts you always told me about. I'll have to look up the last few, love Elvis Costello.

User Name?
12-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Tool

Emmz
12-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Lol.

Tool's the shit. I like APC's cover of Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie.

User Name?
12-16-2011, 09:16 PM
.......and Killswitch Engage. You drive a hard bargain.

Emmz
12-16-2011, 09:19 PM
LOL.

User Name?
12-16-2011, 09:29 PM
What? I really really really like The Arms Of Sorrow. It's my number one pump up song.

mvp 78
12-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Avail

BigPapiEnFuego
12-17-2011, 01:29 PM
It depresses me that Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, and All That Remains are the representation of metal music from my area. Ugh

mvp 78
12-17-2011, 03:48 PM
It depresses me that Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, and All That Remains are the representation of metal music from my area. Ugh

Unearth?

Overcast >>>> Shadows Fall

BigPapiEnFuego
12-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Well I mean western Mass bands. Everything is garbage metalcore or tough guy douchebag deathcore. (except for Black Pyramid, they are awesome and nothing of that sort)

Unearth is decent though. I used to be into them.

Emmz
12-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Metalcore, not since high school.

mvp 78
12-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Metalcore, not since high school.

Every Cro-Mags record after Age of Quarrel.

Emmz
12-17-2011, 04:32 PM
That's more crossover.

mvp 78
12-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Idk, crossover to me is DRI, old COC, early Suicidal Tendencies (Join the Army).

A song like Am I the Only One doesn't sound like crossover at all.

User Name?
12-17-2011, 04:48 PM
I also like Nickelback, Britney Spears, Rihanna, Korn (later stuff), Limp Bizkit and LMFAO.

Emmz
12-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Idk, crossover to me is DRI, old COC, early Suicidal Tendencies (Join the Army).

A song like Am I the Only One doesn't sound like crossover at all.

I'm not really hearing the metalcore in Cro-Mags.

I think that song is definitely crossover? :dunno:

Emmz
12-17-2011, 04:59 PM
I also like Nickelback, Britney Spears, Rihanna, Korn (later stuff), Limp Bizkit and LMFAO.

I have a Limp Bizkit CD, it's not good music but it's a guilty pleasure.

User Name?
12-17-2011, 05:01 PM
I have a Limp Bizkit CD, it's not good music but it's a guilty pleasure.

I was hoping to bait a music nazi with that post. Damn you and your liking all music! :P

mvp 78
12-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Bouncing Souls
Dillinger 4
The Ramones
Social D
Bad Religion
(excludes bands I've mentionned in Metal thread)

derekh
06-05-2012, 09:05 AM
I think my favorite band ever might be Rammstein. I just like their sound. But I also love the sound of Iron Maiden and AC/DC! I can listen to them for hours and hours!

onlybereaved
06-18-2012, 05:14 AM
Having to decide on 1 fav band is such an incredibly tough thing to do.

A few of my for sure fav bands are:

chokehold
ensign
disciple.ad

Emmz
06-18-2012, 05:19 AM
I got so many. My top 10 consists of like 50 artists.

YAZMAN
06-18-2012, 08:04 AM
I got so many. My top 10 consists of like 50 artists.

Typical woman, just can't make up her mind......

Favorite band....we're not talking about shoes here, Imelda.:D

wyo-sox
06-18-2012, 03:25 PM
This may be impossible.... I would maybe say KISS..... they've evolved into cheesey... but they've done it for years. Paul Stanley revolutionezed "the front man" in my opinion. They're early stuff always sounds so cool to me when I haven't listened to it for a while. I forget how good it was. I got a guitar autographed by Paul once.... cool moment!

AC/DC would be on the short list, they've never been tempted to waiver from or apologize for what they are and what they do.... and they've always done it damn well.

Favorite specific recordings...... GnR's Appetite may be the best Rock and Roll collection ever recorded to me. Can't say the band remained a favorite. Skid Row's Slave is a pretty underrated recording that is a perfect blend of kick ass heavy music and bluesy melodic glam music. I used to play along to that thing for hours and hours and hours at a time when I was a kid. Either Skid Row, or GnR, would have probablly been one of my all time favorite bands if they had produced a couple more consitent recordings and stayed together longer.

Emmz
06-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Typical woman, just can't make up her mind......

Favorite band....we're not talking about shoes here, Imelda.:D

Shit, was bout to list off my favorite Picaso works.

YAZMAN
06-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Shit, was bout to list off my favorite Picaso works.

I had you pegged as more of an MC Escher fan...

Emmz
06-19-2012, 05:15 AM
Don't know if any of you have given a listen to Porcupine Tree, but they sound an awful lot like Pink Floyd, but I'd definitely say their newer stuff (their best stuff) is heavier, kind of like spacey post-metal/prog metal.

v2freak
08-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Machine Head. I've liked every song on their last 2 albums.

To be honest, a lot of people like their old stuff from Burn My Eyes, but it's hardly my favorite. I'm hoping to see them live sometime but they've been touring mostly in Europe.

v2freak
08-04-2012, 10:39 AM

Why does that depress you? Those are good bands.

SemperFi Sox
08-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Nirvana

onlybereaved
12-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Machine Head. I've liked every song on their last 2 albums.

To be honest, a lot of people like their old stuff from Burn My Eyes, but it's hardly my favorite. I'm hoping to see them live sometime but they've been touring mostly in Europe.

The old Machine Head albums are their best IMO. I actually got to meet them in Toronto back when they were touring Burn My Eyes. Pretty solid guys.

That's the problem with metal for me, though...Even the best Machine Head albums/songs can't hang with/compete with their influences, aka Pantera/Sepultura/Slayer.

The Machine Head generation and these new metal generations are 95% watered down versions of their influences, and not even close to as good. Metal is a tough genre to be awesome/elite in.

Lucienbel
12-24-2012, 03:34 AM
Oh wow, didn't realize how awesome this thread really was. Seen some great mentions in here.... Just bands I like that people have mentioned...

The Smiths, Joy Division, Agnostic Front, Dead Kennedy's, Circle Jerks, The Pixies, Reagan Youth, and pretty much all the other hardcore bands that have been listed.... A few mentioned I've never heard before but I'll have to check them out.

A few I like I didn't see mentioned....

NOFX, Rancid, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Suicide Machines, and The Cure.

As a side note, saw someone mention The Dollyrots..... I've met Kelly a few times, she's really cool. They're a bit poppy sounding for me, but I still have fun at their shows and they've always been really cool people to talk with.

Bellhorn04
12-24-2012, 08:52 AM
My favorite band after the Beatles is Blue Oyster Cult. That has a lot to do with Buck Dharma being my favorite guitarist. I got to see them here in Halifax and although Buck is about 65 now he can still bring it. He's like the perfect combination of metal power and jazz fluidity. Works on me like the finest drugs.

JMF
02-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Top 5 according to my last.fm (in order): Arctic Monkeys, Beatles, Oasis, The Libertines & The Strokes

Wayne
05-16-2017, 12:41 AM
I read this entire thread and none of you have mentioned my favorite band which is, of course, only the best band ever and that is, of course, RUSH.

Wayne
05-16-2017, 12:47 AM

I'm so pleased you mentioned Elvis Costello & The Attractions. They're my #2 favorite band. I'm especially pleased that you mentioned The Attractions and did not just get lazy and type Elvis Costello. Even my friends who I'd grown up with listening to and loving their music would have lazily typed Elvis Costello and would have omitted the great Attractions, thus not giving them the recognition they so fittingly deserve. Much kudos to you!

Wayne
05-16-2017, 12:50 AM

I highly commend your choice. The Smiths are in my Top Ten. Morrissey is such a brave lyricist and their music, including his voice, is just superb.

Spudboy
05-16-2017, 01:35 PM
I'm so pleased you mentioned Elvis Costello & The Attractions. They're my #2 favorite band. I'm especially pleased that you mentioned The Attractions and did not just get lazy and type Elvis Costello. Even my friends who I'd grown up with listening to and loving their music would have lazily typed Elvis Costello and would have omitted the great Attractions, thus not giving them the recognition they so fittingly deserve. Much kudos to you!

I went to his book signing last year in Boston. I actually had a conversation with him. Wicked smart and funny.

But boy he has no love for Bruce Thomas.

The Attractions were incredibly talented. Especially Steve Nason.

Wayne
05-16-2017, 06:33 PM
I went to his book signing last year in Boston. I actually had a conversation with him. Wicked smart and funny.

But boy he has no love for Bruce Thomas.

The Attractions were incredibly talented. Especially Steve Nason.

I never understood if the Costello/Thomas feud was real or not. I'd heard a rumor that Costello wrote "How To Be Dumb" about Thomas, but then I was confused because Thomas was invited to play on subsequent Costello albums. So just now I went to the Bruce Thomas Wikipedia page where it contains this: "Costello was persuaded by co-producer Mitchell Froom to invite Thomas to play on the album Brutal Youth" and also this: "Costello has said in interviews with a variety of publications, including the Rocky Mountain News, that the old animosity between himself and Thomas returned. Costello claimed that Thomas deliberately sabotaged some songs onstage, which was the breaking point."

Deliberately sabotaging songs onstage? Ouch! I wish I could hear those performances to which Elvis is referring so I can judge for myself if Bruce did some deliberate sabotaging.

I never got to see The Attractions in person, sadly. I've seen Elvis twice, but without them. Once was at Harvard with just his wheel of songs (and Nick Lowe) and the other was at Great Woods. I have no memory of who his backing band for that show was, but I remember that The Replacements were the opening act and they were drunk. In fact, both times I saw The Replacements they were drunk. Could that be called deliberate sabotage? Haha.

Northern Star
05-16-2017, 07:24 PM
https://youtu.be/Yavx9yxTrsw?t=2m48s

SoxHop
05-16-2017, 10:07 PM
Black Sabbath, Beatles...Queen.........

Bellhorn04
05-17-2017, 05:29 AM

Oh yeah.

Bellhorn04
05-17-2017, 05:36 AM
15 all-time faves:

Beatles
Hendrix
Who
Kinks
Doors
CCR
Led Zep
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
BOC
Robin Trower
ELP
Eagles
Simon & Garfunkel
Odds (Canucks)

SoxHop
05-18-2017, 11:29 PM

WTF.....Zep should have been second on that list..... what was I thinking??

SoxHop
05-18-2017, 11:35 PM
15 all-time faves:

Beatles
Hendrix
Who
Kinks
Doors
CCR
Led Zep
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
BOC
Robin Trower
ELP
Eagles
Simon & Garfunkel
Odds (Canucks)

You know. Simon and Garfunkel is the one band that just really hits me when I hear a song by them. I instantly think I need to listen to the song I'm listening to, and more of their songs right away. They put me in a place no other band does.........

Dillon Dylan does that to me too....... A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall, the Times they are a Changing.

CCR kills me too.....

What songs by Robin Trower the Odds.....? I haven't heard of those groups......

SoxHop
05-18-2017, 11:36 PM
We should do a game night song thread.

One person posts one song for the game....... and we all check it out...

Bellhorn04
05-19-2017, 06:32 AM
You know. Simon and Garfunkel is the one band that just really hits me when I hear a song by them. I instantly think I need to listen to the song I'm listening to, and more of their songs right away. They put me in a place no other band does.........

Dillon Dylan does that to me too....... A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall, the Times they are a Changing.

CCR kills me too.....

What songs by Robin Trower the Odds.....? I haven't heard of those groups......

Robin Trower - heavy blues/rock. He was originally the guitar player for Procol Harum.

Check out 'Day of the Eagle' for starters.

Odds - 'power pop' with some of the best lyrics I've ever heard.

Check out 'Someone Who's Cool' for starters.

SoxHop
05-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Robin Trower - heavy blues/rock. He was originally the guitar player for Procol Harum.

Check out 'Day of the Eagle' for starters.

Odds - 'power pop' with some of the best lyrics I've ever heard.

Check out 'Someone Who's Cool' for starters.

I'm on it..

Kimmi
05-19-2017, 04:19 PM
I read the whole thread, and the only post I understood was VA's.

Northern Star
08-21-2017, 06:51 PM
I read the whole thread, and the only post I understood was VA's.

So what you're saying is this thread is a good opportunity to expand your horizons?

Kimmi
08-22-2017, 09:03 AM
So what you're saying is this thread is a good opportunity to expand your horizons?

No, I'm saying that all of you are whack when it comes to music. ;)

SoxnCycles
08-22-2017, 09:16 AM

Just admit it, you're a huge Cattle Decapitation fan.

moonslav59
08-22-2017, 09:49 AM
While The Smiths, U2, the Stones, Zep, The Cure (early angst only), Dylan, Hendrix, Clapton, The Doors, Neil Young, and Belle & Sebastian hold dear places in my heart, this is my top 10:

1. Sonic Youth
2. The Who (my fave from ages 16-29 and where the "moon" comes from in my moniker)
3. The Velvet Underground (and Lou Reed solo)
4. Leonard Cohen
5. The Beatles
6. Mazzy Star (I want to marry Hope Sandoval)
7. Pink Floyd
8. The Talking Heads
9. The Psychedelic Furs
10. The Grateful Dead

Kimmi
08-22-2017, 11:39 AM
Just admit it, you're a huge Cattle Decapitation fan.

Wait for it........ Eye roll.

Kimmi
08-22-2017, 11:40 AM
I like the Beatles. That should count for something.

SoxnCycles
08-22-2017, 11:49 AM
I like the Beatles. That should count for something.

It does, but not enough to outweigh Celine.

Northern Star
08-22-2017, 06:07 PM

Wait for it.... Eyeroll.

Northern Star
08-22-2017, 06:07 PM
While The Smiths, U2, the Stones, Zep, The Cure (early angst only), Dylan, Hendrix, Clapton, The Doors, Neil Young, and Belle & Sebastian hold dear places in my heart, this is my top 10:

1. Sonic Youth
2. The Who (my fave from ages 16-29 and where the "moon" comes from in my moniker)
3. The Velvet Underground (and Lou Reed solo)
4. Leonard Cohen
5. The Beatles
6. Mazzy Star (I want to marry Hope Sandoval)
7. Pink Floyd
8. The Talking Heads
9. The Psychedelic Furs
10. The Grateful Dead

Good stuff on that list.

Northern Star
08-22-2017, 06:08 PM
Robin Trower

Every time I see this name, I think it's Robin Thrower. Then I look away, look back and still think it's Robin Thrower.

Bellhorn04
08-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Every time I see this name, I think it's Robin Thrower. Then I look away, look back and still think it's Robin Thrower.

Trower is not a name you see very often. Good name for a guitarist though.

moonslav59
08-22-2017, 06:56 PM
Good stuff on that list.

Thanks.

I've been meaning to tell you, I like a lot of what you have listed, even some I've never heard of beforehand.

moonslav59
08-22-2017, 06:57 PM

He's a thrower not a pitcher.

SoxHop
08-23-2017, 09:45 PM
Twisted Sister is the best band ever.

Northern Star
08-28-2017, 06:35 PM
Twisted Sister is the best band ever.

in which context?

SaleplusKimbrel59
05-09-2018, 12:42 PM
My favorite band ever is Alice in Chains (while Layne Staley was alive), but I really have a bunch of top favorites:

Alice In Chains (with Layne)
High On Fire
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
Black Sabbath
Pantera
Velvet Revolver
LA Guns
Black Label Society
Stone Temple Pilots (with Weiland)
Slayer
Motley Crue

oldmaninthevegasdesert
06-24-2019, 10:40 PM
Pink Floyd, Ten Years After, The Killers

moonslav59
06-25-2019, 12:31 AM
Ten Years After brings back memories.

Alvin Lee was great, especially in concert.

Slasher9
06-25-2019, 09:30 AM
Public Image Ltd
New Order
Pink Floyd
the Pretenders
Dead Kennedys
U2 (pre 21st century)
English Beat
Agent Orange
Suicidal Tendencies

moonslav59
06-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Public Image Ltd
New Order
Pink Floyd
the Pretenders
Dead Kennedys
U2 (pre 21st century)
English Beat
Agent Orange
Suicidal Tendencies

Love the first 7- don't know much about the last 2.

notin
06-28-2019, 09:02 AM
Trower is not a name you see very often. Good name for a guitarist though.

Best name for a guitarist ever was from The Clash with the late Joe Strummer...

notin
06-28-2019, 09:04 AM
The Doors
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Buffalo Springfield
The Animals

bkzwhitestrican
06-28-2019, 09:52 AM
Seems mostly everyone here is old(er) based on their music taste.

The Killers
Weezer
Blink 182
Lynyrd Skynyrd
RHCP
Sugar Ray

Jasonbay44
06-28-2019, 11:18 PM
I think I have completely different music tastes than everyone here and have to be one of younger people here. My favorite music artists are Nas and J Cole and almost exclusively listen to hip hop.

bkzwhitestrican
06-29-2019, 05:27 PM
Well if it's any musical artist rather than just bands I'd also throw in deadmau5, above & beyond, tribe called quest, and wu tang. I'm not a fan of most current hip hop.

Bellhorn04
06-29-2019, 05:37 PM
Seems mostly everyone here is old(er) based on their music taste.

The Killers
Weezer
Blink 182
Lynyrd Skynyrd
RHCP
Sugar Ray

I'm 63, so that certainly applies to me.

I like some stuff by The Killers and Weezer, and I'm an actual fan of RHCP, owning some of their music.

Of the relatively younger bands, Queens of the Stone Age are my favorite.

bkzwhitestrican
06-29-2019, 07:56 PM

I like some stuff by The Killers and Weezer, and I'm an actual fan of RHCP, owning some of their music.

That's cool, I hope I'm still open to newer music when I get older. My dad is your same age and only listens to music from his heyday

Jasonbay44
06-30-2019, 06:07 PM
Well if it's any musical artist rather than just bands I'd also throw in deadmau5, above & beyond, tribe called quest, and wu tang. I'm not a fan of most current hip hop.

I like J Cole, Drake and Kendrick. But a majority of the mumble rappers are very bad.

Slasher9
11-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Going to see Killing Joke / Tool this coming Saturday in Newark.
saw Tool back in 04 or 05. so good live.
the new Album is awesome.
pretty hype for this show.

iortiz
11-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Making a reality check since my last post in this thread my fav bands/artists are King Crimson, Camel and Frank Zappa.

These are probably the most underrated bands ever and only a few match them.

notin
11-19-2019, 12:08 PM
Making a reality check since my last post in this thread my fav bands/artists are King Crimson, Camel and Frank Zappa.

These are probably the most underrated bands ever and only a few match them.

King Crimson really just had the one album, but man was it a great album...

notin
11-19-2019, 12:09 PM

Weezer and RHCP are both great. Also, Gin Blossoms...

Bellhorn04
11-19-2019, 12:11 PM
King Crimson really just had the one album, but man was it a great album...

One album? I assume you're referring to the one with the red face. But you gotta be kidding. They put out a lot of great stuff.

moonslav59
11-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Pre-age 30: The Who (Quadrophenia)

31-39: Velvet Underground (White Light/White Heat)

Post 40: Sonic Youth (Daydream Nation)

notin
11-20-2019, 09:51 AM
One album? I assume you're referring to the one with the red face. But you gotta be kidding. They put out a lot of great stuff.

I did love the one album. Yes, "The Court of the Crimson King" was one of the greatest albums ever.

King Crimson is actually still around and still touring. But nothing really matched that first album...

cp176
11-21-2019, 10:55 AM
Lots of great bands over the years but E Street is in my top 5.