PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs chat room!

Navafan29
09-26-2013, 12:58 AM
Since this is such a special year, we should make a special chat room for us to talk on while we're watching the playoff games. It would be awesome to see everyone's live reactions to big moments. The chat room would ONLY be open while Sox playoff games are in progress, so the forums will still be the main way of communicating. This will only be used for the playoffs. After the playoffs are over, we will delete the chat room.

Who wants to do this? I can make the chat if nobody else wants to, but I don't have a way of making it only officially open at specific times.

One advantage to the chat would be that it would attract a lot of strangers, who would end up enjoying watching the games with us and decide to join the forum. This could double our amount of active members if successful.

Thunder
09-26-2013, 02:10 PM
We have one. It's called game threads.

Northern Star
09-26-2013, 07:15 PM
We have one. It's called game threads.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk65/darinaldi/bth_oh-snap.gif

Youk Of The Nation
09-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Oh, great, .gifs with catchphrases from 2009. I'm so happy this is happening again.

In other news, yes, gamethreads have always and will always suffice. If you want to create your own offsite chatroom and invite TalkSox members to it, you are welcome to do so, but I wouldn't hold out hope of it surpassing the gamethreads in traffic. Gamethreads are an integral part of the postseason tradition here on TalkSox, and if the furor that is unleashed when a newbie makes a gamethread out of order hasn't already made it clear, we here at TS do love us some fucking tradition.

Navafan29
09-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Oh, great, .gifs with catchphrases from 2009. I'm so happy this is happening again.

In other news, yes, gamethreads have always and will always suffice. If you want to create your own offsite chatroom and invite TalkSox members to it, you are welcome to do so, but I wouldn't hold out hope of it surpassing the gamethreads in traffic. Gamethreads are an integral part of the postseason tradition here on TalkSox, and if the furor that is unleashed when a newbie makes a gamethread out of order hasn't already made it clear, we here at TS do love us some fucking tradition.

I figured that people who are on the chat would also be on the game-thread at the same time so they could post analyses and stuff that wouldn't work as well in a spammy chat. I didn't really want the chat to take over the game thread. And I definitely think the GT suffices fine. I just thought this might be cool, especially if it helps us get more forum members.

Also, I wonder if it's possible to get a chat that lets you take a transcript of what everyone said and keep a record of it. It would be cool to have a record of our live reaction to winning the WS.

Youk Of The Nation
09-26-2013, 11:59 PM
You should check out the thread from game 4 of the 2004 WS if you haven't already. I wish I had been on TalkSox for that.

Palodios
09-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Yotn, didn't you try opening a chat room once to little to no success? Probably keep it to the gamethreads... it'll be fast and furious but still crazy and fun.

Palodios
09-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Well shit, I just realized I have never been around for a Talksox playoff game. Fuck 2009-2012.

yeszir
09-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Well shit, I just realized I have never been around for a Talksox playoff game. Fuck 2009-2012.

So its YOUR fault!

Northern Star
09-27-2013, 08:32 PM

True classics never die.

Northern Star
09-27-2013, 08:33 PM

Anyone else think Pal looks like Tony Almeida in real life? Probably got plastic surgery to look exactly like him.

Palodios
09-27-2013, 09:31 PM
So its YOUR fault!

What?! Nahhh. I'm here now for this postseason, aren't I?

Palodios
09-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Anyone else think Pal looks like Tony Almeida in real life? Probably got plastic surgery to look exactly like him.

I think there are some resemblances. After all these year, I bet people who saw him might mistake the two of us :)

Youk Of The Nation
09-27-2013, 11:12 PM
I tried to get a chat going once, I forget why, but it wasn't for games. I know better than to mess with gamethreads.

Jasonbay44
09-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I don't really see much of a point to a chat room. Especially because I usually post on my phone and chat rooms don't work so well, lol.

Northern Star
09-28-2013, 05:06 PM
I tried to get a chat going once, I forget why, but it wasn't for games. I know better than to mess with gamethreads.

What's even worse is some forums prefer flood style, so pretty much each new comment is a new thread.

Youk Of The Nation
09-28-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm glad our forum doesn't embed quotes past the first one. There is nothing I hate more than message board threads that are impossible to read due to recursive quoting. The old Trek boards were like that.

Thunder
09-28-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm glad our forum doesn't embed quotes past the first one. There is nothing I hate more than message board threads that are impossible to read due to recursive quoting. The old Trek boards were like that.

I can't stand that either.

Northern Star
09-28-2013, 08:16 PM

I was on one once where it got up to like 50 quotes. It took time just to scroll down to the new message.