PDA

View Full Version : What comes after Varitek?

yawkeyway
04-23-2004, 02:52 PM
If the sox fail to sign Varitek amid the whole free agent disaster, what then? Do we sign Mirabelli as our regular, everyday catcher? Do we wait for Shoppach? Or do we sign a one or two year free agent in the interim while we wait for Shoppach? Or will the sox just sign Varitek, lol.

I think that if he ISNT signed, I hope he will be but if he ISNT, then Mirabelli is far from a good option. I get nervous every time Wake pitches beacuse that means Mirabelli. It seems like he has trouble catching a lot of pitches, and despite what he's done recently, his bat is far from golden. Shoppach is the answer for me.

yeszir
04-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Oh man, I hope Tek resigns. He's one of my favorite players on the team. It would be a shame to watch him go.

peskypole
04-23-2004, 04:08 PM
tek is the best catcher in the league in regards to clutch hitting and calling a game. we need to retain him.

Tek04
04-23-2004, 05:46 PM
tek better resign, he is my favorite player

nomar
04-23-2004, 06:01 PM
how'd i guess

Zenny
04-24-2004, 09:36 PM
What comes after Jason Varitek is Kelly Shoppach, who is a better version and almost 10 years younger. I'm sorry folks, if Shoppach produces this season, Varitek is gone and that's what I'm praying for. Nothing personal to 'Tek or 'Tek Lovers, but it's time to make way for Shopp and Shopp Lovers, such as myself. :P

TheFens
04-26-2004, 05:04 PM
Shoppach comes after tek, like Zenny said. I dont want Tek gone, but if Shoppach can call a game then he'd be great. Plus, Tek = Boras if I'm not mistaken, and Boras is a money grubbing bastard.

Zenny
04-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by TheFens@Apr 26 2004, 05:04 PM
Shoppach comes after tek, like Zenny said. I dont want Tek gone, but if Shoppach can call a game then he'd be great. Plus, Tek = Boras if I'm not mistaken, and Boras is a money grubbing bastard.
Exactly, Boras won't let Varitek have any discussions with the Sox until he goes on the market and gets offers from other teams. This means that the Sox would likely have to pay more, which may not be in the best interests of this franchise to overpay for an aging catcher, who frankly, has peaked already.

Shoppach, by all accounts, is just as much the game-caller, preparer and clubhouse leader that Jason Varitek is and he provides superior, Gold Glove caliber defense, a smaller contract, ten less years in age and more offensive upside in the future. I like 'Tek too, but I can't understand why fans wouldn't be excited about Shoppach and his future on this team, which should begin as a starter in 2005.

BoSoxGuru
04-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Zenny@Apr 26 2004, 07:45 PM
Shoppach, by all accounts, is just as much the game-caller, preparer and clubhouse leader that Jason Varitek is and he provides superior, Gold Glove caliber defense, a smaller contract, ten less years in age and more offensive upside in the future. I like 'Tek too, but I can't understand why fans wouldn't be excited about Shoppach and his future on this team, which should begin as a starter in 2005.
How do you know he is a better game caller? It is a different game between AAA and the pros so we have no idea what Shoppach can, or can't do. Defense and somewhat hitting can carry over, but calling a game for a has-been prospect in AAA is much different then calling one for 3-time Cy Young winner Pedro Martinez.

yeszir
04-27-2004, 03:49 PM
This is true. We really can't see how Shoppach handles a pitching staff until he actually does so in the majors. As you said Bosoxguru, catching pedro is different than catching minor leaguers. But if a catcher shows prowess in the minors, knows what to call and really has hitters fooled a lot, then it will most likely carry over to the majors.

Welcome to the site too. I read your blog and I like it. :D.

BoSoxGuru
04-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by yeszir@Apr 27 2004, 03:49 PM
This is true. We really can't see how Shoppach handles a pitching staff until he actually does so in the majors. As you said Bosoxguru, catching pedro is different than catching minor leaguers. But if a catcher shows prowess in the minors, knows what to call and really has hitters fooled a lot, then it will most likely carry over to the majors.

Welcome to the site too. I read your blog and I like it. :D.
Thanks man, you have a nice Sox board here.

Another thing with Shoppach: how often do you seen rookie catchers start in the majors? Joe Mauer was one, he's on the DL now. But compared to other positions I think it has the least amount of rookies starting. A rookie catcher would have so much to learn: what does all 11 or 12 pitchers throw? Do I have the balls to go talk to this vet and tell him whats wrong with his stuff? What does this hitter like to hit? What CANT this hitter hit? Its just so much work for him.

BTW -- I'm another one of those Shoppach fans, but I'm still a big fan of V-Tek.

yawkeyway
04-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by BoSoxGuru@Apr 27 2004, 04:04 PM
Do I have the balls to go talk to this vet and tell him whats wrong with his stuff?
This is actually something I've never really thought of before. And now that I think about it, it really seems like it would be a problem a lot of rookie pitchers would face. How do you go up to a guy whose been in the majors for longer than you've been alive (yea, an exageration I know) that hes giving the batters a good look at whats coming before he releases it? How do you argue with him when he wants a fastball in and you want a changeup away? I'm glad I'm not a rookie catcher, I'll tell you that much. :blink: