PDA

View Full Version : Position Changes Needed

king koji
04-09-2014, 12:09 PM
here is our strongest team.Jackie Bradley full-time CF. jonny Gomes and Grady Sizemore LF platoon. Daniel Nava back-up 1st Baseman Mike Carp needs to be traded. Victorino in right+ when injured, Bradley to right + Sizemore to Center with Nava back to Gomes platoon.

sk7326
04-09-2014, 12:18 PM
We have played 8 games ... breathe ...

rjortiz
04-09-2014, 03:20 PM
The game thread raised an interesting point about Workman and Buchholz. I wanted to comment on that.

The Marlins are 5-3. Casey McGehee has a .947 OPS. Reading too much into an eight game sample will drive you crazy. There's some useful information, such as the velocities of Peavy and Buchholz, but I don't think any strong conclusions can be made this early.

I think there's some validity to jackson's opinion. I wouldn't go as far to say that it was absolutely necessary. Capuano is next in line, and the Red Sox can't have that high of an opinion of Workman as a starter. They would have to have serious concerns about more than Buchholz. Workman was the only one with options, and using him as a starter increases his flexibility in case of injuries. I don't think you can read much more into it.

That being said, I think there is some valid concerns about Buchholz. Buchholz' average four seam velocity was 90.78 mph against the Brewers. That's down a full mph from when he came back from injury, (91.79) and more than two mph from his velocity (93.01) in April last year. If he's still down this much in late April, it definitely would be something to worry about.

rjortiz
04-11-2014, 02:32 PM
This is not a overreaction to a ten game sample. I have never been a fan of Nava. He was only a passable regular last year, despite being having a huge year offensively. fWAR has him a grand total of 1.8 WAR. It's easy to see why.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=lf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=16,d

He ranked third in wOBA among 16 qualified left-fielders. However, when you sort the table by WAR, he falls to 12th. Nava had a Def value of -18.4, which places him 15th out of 16th. The only guy below him is a 1B. Nava is also saved by his low innings in the outfield. I was interested to see how historically bad this was.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=of&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=950&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=1871&ind=1&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=25%2ca

Out of all outfielders, not just LF/RF, since UZR became a stat in 2002, Nava has the 48th worst defensive season if his 2013 UZR is adjusted to 150 games. This is before adjusting for position. He would have had at least -25 Def value had he played the outfield more often. Take this with a grain of salt, but here is he stacks up in Def value all time.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=lf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=1871&ind=1&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=21%2ca

100th worst defensive season in all MLB history, and managed that despite playing in only 971 innings. He can thank the .352 BABIP for the .385 OBP last year. If he's near the league average in BABIP he's worthless. Even if he improves from historically bad defender to awful, he's still not very useful. I think they'll put him out to pasture at some point in the season.

mvp 78
04-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Nava should NEVER play RF at Fenway.

Navafan29
04-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Nava was 5th in the whole AL in OBP last year; 8th in batting average. Last year, the only AL outfielder better than him at getting on base was Mike Trout. Nava's an OBP guy and I don't think that only power hitters are allowed to be excused for poor defense and baserunning.

Nava has a had a low average so far, but a lot of his outs have been ringing line drives. He'll come through.

JBJ has not proved himself enough to have a certain position job yet. He could just be on a 3-game hot streak. He has however, proven himself worthy of getting a chance, so let's keep putting him in against righties

mvp 78
04-11-2014, 05:53 PM
That's fine, but he's not hitting now and even when he is the defense pretty much negates his offense.

I'll say it again. You don't need Carp AND Nava. Pick one. Trade one.

rjortiz
04-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Nava was 5th in the whole AL in OBP last year; 8th in batting average. Last year, the only AL outfielder better than him at getting on base was Mike Trout. Nava's an OBP guy and I don't think that only power hitters are allowed to be excused for poor defense and baserunning.

I never thought I would hear Trout and Nava mentioned in the same sentence. Trout could be the worst defender in MLB history, and still would be an elite player. There's also a huge difference between poor (2011 Carl Crawford), and historically bad defense (2013 Daniel Nava). We should be fortunate that Nava isn't a terrible baserunner.

Nava has a had a low average so far, but a lot of his outs have been ringing line drives. He'll come through.

I'm not worried about the ten game sample size. He'll definitely improve on his start. The question is how much he will improve? I am not optimistic about a repeat of his LD% and BABIP this year. How many players have similar skills to Nava, and consistently have huge years? Nava does not have elite patience at the plate. A BB% of 9.5% is above-average. He isn't going to leg out a lot of infield hits, and he has limited power. The only way he sustains his BABIP is continued luck. Look at the players with high LD% and high BABIP:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=c,4,6,-1,34,35,43,40,41,53&season=2013&month=0&season1=2004&ind=1&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=8,d

Not many repeat visitors at Nava's level. Not many players that are similar to him either. There's also some bad performances despite the high LD%. The only hope is that he continues to get hit by a lot of pitches. He finished with 15 HBP, which was 4th in all of MLB.

I don't have any faith in his defense improving. Nava has rated as having awful range every single year in the majors, and in two of those he's historically bad. Nava has one and a half above average skills. He can draw some walks, and can hit right handed pitching. He's a pinch hitter at best. Carp already does that, and Gomes is a legitimate masher against lefties. Bradley can play all three outfield positions. Nava is the one who should go, but he'll stay up because of last year.

JBJ has not proved himself enough to have a certain position job yet. He could just be on a 3-game hot streak. He has however, proven himself worthy of getting a chance, so let's keep putting him in against righties

No, but he's better than Nava. I think Sizemore, Bradley, and Victorino is the eventual outfield. This team might be short of power come July, so I'd kick the tires on Carlos Gonzalez and Stanton. Maybe the Marlins don't want to pay Stanton the rest of his $6 million.

rjortiz
04-11-2014, 08:49 PM
That's fine, but he's not hitting now and even when he is the defense pretty much negates his offense.

I'll say it again. You don't need Carp AND Nava. Pick one. Trade one.

Carp apparently has more trade value. I don't know why. Another huge fluke year. He hit 29 HR's four years ago in AAA. Maybe a GM will think he is a late bloomer and give up a legitimate prospect. Nava would fetch a D+ prospect at best. However, trading Carp means Daniel Nava is the insurance on Napoli's hip. Nava would be even more useless at 1B. At least, Carp has the chance to be above average if pressed into lineup at 1B.

There is another option. Send Nava to AAA. Rotate AB's between Sizemore, Gomes, and Bradley. Bradley can also spell Victorino and come in as a defensive replacement. Don't forget to call the Marlins and Rockies everyday until the deadline.

mvp 78
04-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Does nava have options left?

rjortiz
04-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Does nava have options left?

Yeah, his last one.

Palodios
04-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Yeah, his last one.

I have seen conflicting sources on this. Soxprospects has 1 option on Nava's list, but I do not think that is correct.

rjortiz
04-11-2014, 10:45 PM
I have seen conflicting sources on this. Soxprospects has 1 option on Nava's list, but I do not think that is correct.

I used that as my source. Not a big deal. Just an opinion. The Red Sox won't send him down this early. He'll pass through waivers in July anyway.

Spitball
04-11-2014, 11:11 PM
In my opinion, Nava and Carp are role players. They come and go depending on their production. They may have one good season or two, but they are replaceable. When they are producing, they will be part of the equation. I am not about to worry about them otherwise.

SoxSport
04-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Yeah, Size-JBJ-Vic, LF-CF-RF. That's their best OF, though Vic and Size have questions about durability, and JBJ has to keep hitting and drawing walks.

Plus there are other factors at play here--as always on a team. You got Gomes, Carp and Nava who need touches, and are viewed as depth from last years' champion team. And you got Nap at 1B, who needs a backup.

You figure Gomes sticks--he bats RHd. Plus he's a big hit guy off the bench. Nava is a high on base guy. Carp is weak defensively, but he's their 1B insurance. The problem with all 3 is none offers good backup defense in the OF. You take a hit defensively if one of them replaces any of the top 3.

It's a dilemma. Though you wonder why the heck they would get Roberts for 3B when they have Herrera. If Herrera can't play 3B, then move him to SS and play X there for awhile. No big deal. X has played there. Who needs Roberts?

d-money
04-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Its early! Lets see wat their record will be through 40 games.Nava is clearly not an everyday player.Herrera needs to be sent down to the minors.

seabeachfred
04-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Yeah, Size-JBJ-Vic, LF-CF-RF. That's their best OF, though Vic and Size have questions about durability, and JBJ has to keep hitting and drawing walks.

Plus there are other factors at play here--as always on a team. You got Gomes, Carp and Nava who need touches, and are viewed as depth from last years' champion team. And you got Nap at 1B, who needs a backup.

You figure Gomes sticks--he bats RHd. Plus he's a big hit guy off the bench. Nava is a high on base guy. Carp is weak defensively, but he's their 1B insurance. The problem with all 3 is none offers good backup defense in the OF. You take a hit defensively if one of them replaces any of the top 3.

It's a dilemma. Though you wonder why the heck they would get Roberts for 3B when they have Herrera. If Herrera can't play 3B, then move him to SS and play X there for awhile. No big deal. X has played there. Who needs Roberts?

And who the hell needs Herrera either? Not as a regular. He is a decent utility and substitute player but you can't play a mediocrity like that as a regular third baseman. As for Roberts, the Cubs didn't want him so does that mean Cherington thinks a new Red Sox uniform would work wonders. I remember Theo saying the same thing about Hermida and Cameron and Repko and Thomas. Didn't come close to working. Pray that Middlebrooks mends faster that most of our injured have in the past.

RedSoxNC84
04-13-2014, 04:22 AM
If Sizemore can stay healthy, JBJ can produce, and Victorino can stop tweaking his fucking hammies, then our outfield is set. Still some question marks going there though. Platooning Gomes/Nava with Sizemore would be ideal in my mind. I think at this point MVP is right, we don't need Carp. Once WMB comes back package Carp and Roberts/Hererra, get some decent MR back maybe.

sk7326
04-13-2014, 09:20 PM
And who the hell needs Herrera either? Not as a regular. He is a decent utility and substitute player but you can't play a mediocrity like that as a regular third baseman. As for Roberts, the Cubs didn't want him so does that mean Cherington thinks a new Red Sox uniform would work wonders. I remember Theo saying the same thing about Hermida and Cameron and Repko and Thomas. Didn't come close to working. Pray that Middlebrooks mends faster that most of our injured have in the past.

It means Cherington needed guys in case starters got hurt. Roberts and Herrera are about as good as you can expect from "emergency filler". If they did not solve 3B and if Pedroia is gone for any serious length of time, we were gonna be in trouble anyway.

sk7326
04-13-2014, 09:21 PM
In my opinion, Nava and Carp are role players. They come and go depending on their production. They may have one good season or two, but they are replaceable. When they are producing, they will be part of the equation. I am not about to worry about them otherwise.

Sizemore (at least while waiting for his next catastrophic injury) - Bradley - Victorino left to right is their best outfield. Bradley is so gifted defensively that we can wait for his offense to catch up (if we have to).

seabeachfred
04-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Sizemore (at least while waiting for his next catastrophic injury) - Bradley - Victorino left to right is their best outfield. Bradley is so gifted defensively that we can wait for his offense to catch up (if we have to).

No we can't sk. We need Bradley to start hitting now and keep hitting. It is why the front office seemed to anxious to let Ellsbury walk and replace him with JB. They had to think he could do it or otherwise they were just pulling the wool over our eyes for the sole purpose of saving money. The fact is Bradley cannot touch Ellsbury with a five foot pole save for his outstanding defense. He has very average speed, is a near strikeout machine and his power is very average at best. Still with all that he needs to start hitting and hitting fast because we cannot wait for his offense to catch up with his defense since we seem to have more than our share of stiffs right now in the lineup.

sk7326
04-14-2014, 08:15 AM
No we can't sk. We need Bradley to start hitting now and keep hitting. It is why the front office seemed to anxious to let Ellsbury walk and replace him with JB. They had to think he could do it or otherwise they were just pulling the wool over our eyes for the sole purpose of saving money. The fact is Bradley cannot touch Ellsbury with a five foot pole save for his outstanding defense. He has very average speed, is a near strikeout machine and his power is very average at best. Still with all that he needs to start hitting and hitting fast because we cannot wait for his offense to catch up with his defense since we seem to have more than our share of stiffs right now in the lineup.

Relax - 13 games, fundamentals have been ok. The injuries are a bigger concern than any of the hyperventilating that is being done here.

Bradley's power stats are not great, but .273/.368 is a slash line we will be very happy with. Bradley has plenty of speed, but he is a poor base stealer - but that's among the more dispensable baseball skills. Part of being a good organization is trusting your evaluations. Overreacting to spring results is generally poor business.

a700hitter
04-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Relax - 13 games, fundamentals have been ok. The injuries are a bigger concern than any of the hyperventilating that is being done here.

Bradley's power stats are not great, but .273/.368 is a slash line we will be very happy with. Bradley has plenty of speed, but he is a poor base stealer - but that's among the more dispensable baseball skills. Part of being a good organization is trusting your evaluations. Overreacting to spring results is generally poor business.Bradley's speed is good. He is no burner.

d-money
04-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Are we gonna know today about pedroia's wrist issue? I like pedey but it seems like durability is becoming an issue with him.

d-money
04-14-2014, 09:14 AM
He is a tough lil guy though.I hope its not as serious

sk7326
04-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Bradley's speed is good. He is no burner.

His comp in these areas is Bernie Williams really - and you could do a whole lot worse than that.

User Name?
04-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Are we gonna know today about pedroia's wrist issue? I like pedey but it seems like durability is becoming an issue with him.

Yeah those 160 games he played last year are a clear indication of his durability issues.

Spudboy
04-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Yeah those 160 games he played last year are a clear indication of his durability issues.

And let's not ignore that his "durability" is only in question because he has been injured in routine game activities like batting and covering second base.

a700hitter
04-14-2014, 12:21 PM
His comp in these areas is Bernie Williams really - and you could do a whole lot worse than that.I haven't clocked them, but my betting is that Bernie was faster. They maybe comparable in that Bernie was also not a good base stealer. But Bernie could fly, especially going first to third.

Behindenemylines
04-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Between injuries and players not hitting the Sox are having a hard time scoring runs. Hopefully, Middlebrooks isn't to far away because this team lacks power. If Pedrioa is out any length of time who is the long terms solutions? Betts?

sk7326
04-14-2014, 01:29 PM
I haven't clocked them, but my betting is that Bernie was faster. They maybe comparable in that Bernie was also not a good base stealer. But Bernie could fly, especially going first to third.

I don't think Bradley's speed prevents him from doing that as well as playing one hell of a centerfield.

sk7326
04-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Between injuries and players not hitting the Sox are having a hard time scoring runs. Hopefully, Middlebrooks isn't to far away because this team lacks power. If Pedrioa is out any length of time who is the long terms solutions? Betts?

Right now, the problem has been injuries. The on-base has not been that bad all things considered - this will get better. If Pedroia is out - my first call is to Stephen Drew to see if he is up for something interesting. Failing that, you basically throw short term options at it until something sticks. One thing we have seen is that the Sox have worked Middlebrooks out at 2B. So if they really wanted to keep the bats there, signing Drew and moving Will to 2B is something that is at least possible.

SoxSport
04-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Drew is just too expensive, and limited to one position. He is no longer a fit in Boston. He'll get a job somewhere when some SS goes down for 6 months. It's very telling that Dombrowski went elsewhere when Iggy went down. Drew is way too expensive. The $14 million was thrown out there to get a draft pick. I'm sure they were delighted when he declined.

Vic going down so soon has hurt them. But they have discovered Size and JBJ. Hopefully those 3 guys will make a great OF, but don't hold your breath. Farrell is in love with last year's players, which means Nava/Gomes/Carp will see plenty of action in LF and maybe RF. Carp should be used strictly at 1B. They need to play out the string on JBJ, and let the kid develop. He is showing confidence now.

a700hitter
04-14-2014, 03:26 PM
I don't think Bradley's speed prevents him from doing that as well as playing one hell of a centerfield.He can definitely play well in CF, but his speed is not really a big weapon offensively, stolen bases aside.

User Name?
04-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Drew is just too expensive, and limited to one position. He is no longer a fit in Boston. He'll get a job somewhere when some SS goes down for 6 months. It's very telling that Dombrowski went elsewhere when Iggy went down. Drew is way too expensive. The $14 million was thrown out there to get a draft pick. I'm sure they were delighted when he declined.

Vic going down so soon has hurt them. But they have discovered Size and JBJ. Hopefully those 3 guys will make a great OF, but don't hold your breath. Farrell is in love with last year's players, which means Nava/Gomes/Carp will see plenty of action in LF and maybe RF. Carp should be used strictly at 1B. They need to play out the string on JBJ, and let the kid develop. He is showing confidence now.

Do you ever make a post that is based on objective logic and not a load of sensationalist nonsense? In love with last year's players? It's April 14th! Where do you come up with this drivel?

sk7326
04-14-2014, 03:50 PM

I think Cherington was unsentimental. But he will also be unsentimental if Pedroia had to go out for a couple of months. Bringing Drew back is easily the cleanest answer (and none of the answers are perfect) available. I don't think Farrell is being sentimental with Nava/Gomes/Carp. If you haven't noticed, Sizemore has the knees of a 52 year old man, and was slipping defensively before he destroyed them - Farrell needs those guys around just to be able to manage Sizemore's reps.

d-money
04-15-2014, 12:06 AM
No fracture for pedroia.Thats great news.

d-money
04-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Team needs to try and sweep the white sox on the road.

Jasonbay44
04-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Some good news regarding Napoli:

Mike Napoli has been diagnosed with a dislocated left ring finger.
That much could be seen by looking at the gruesome picture of Napoli's finger after he slid into second base following a ninth-inning wild pitch. However, the good news is that X-rays on the finger came back negative, and it appears it might be more of a day-to-day type injury rather than something that could send him to the DL. Mike Carp will handle first base while Napoli is out.
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/425953/mike-napoli-diagnosed-with-dislocated-finger

seabeachfred
04-15-2014, 11:34 PM
Some good news regarding Napoli:

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/425953/mike-napoli-diagnosed-with-dislocated-finger

I noticed the game thread was locked before I had a chance to vent my spleen so I will vent it here. With all due respect, I don't want to hear any more shit from any of you out there who took offense a few weeks ago when I warned that our shitty Spring Training season would result in our coming out the gate punch drunk. Well guess what? Just as in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 we had a shitty spring and are now in a shitty start to a new season. Understand this....with the Red Sox there is a real correlation how we play down in Florida and how we start off when the bell rings. It's a shame some of your memories are worth a warm pitcher of spit on that subject.

Now we have almost half the starters on the sideline, we aren't hitting worth shit, we have no speed, we have no offense, we play station-to-station baseball and leave a bunch of runners on base game after game---and here's the worst part of it. It is becoming possible that our Xander Bogaerts may actually be a choker and if so that is a crusher.

User Name?
04-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Fred, you don't get to tell anyone here what they can and can't say. Your idea that they are struggling because they let off the gas in ST after a WS run is: A) Unproven at best, and fabrication at worst, and B ) Fucking retarded. Stop it with the goddamn whining, no one wants to read it dude, seriously. You're just making it up as you go and don't have a clue.

User Name?
04-15-2014, 11:44 PM
Talksox. com shouldn't be anyone's vent-place or whine-receptacle. It's a place where we're supposed to be able to come talk about the Red Sox and baseball in general. People keep leaving the site because of the bullshit attitude of some posters but they just don't get it. For the love of God, dial the whining, negativity and know-it-all, told-you-so bullshit back just a little bit.

Youk Of The Nation
04-15-2014, 11:46 PM
I noticed the game thread was locked before I had a chance to vent my spleen so I will vent it here. With all due respect, I don't want to hear any more shit from any of you out there who took offense a few weeks ago when I warned that our shitty Spring Training season would result in our coming out the gate punch drunk. Well guess what? Just as in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 we had a shitty spring and are now in a shitty start to a new season. Understand this....with the Red Sox there is a real correlation how we play down in Florida and how we start off when the bell rings. It's a shame some of your memories are worth a warm pitcher of spit on that subject.

Now we have almost half the starters on the sideline, we aren't hitting worth shit, we have no speed, we have no offense, we play station-to-station baseball and leave a bunch of runners on base game after game---and here's the worst part of it. It is becoming possible that our Xander Bogaerts may actually be a choker and if so that is a crusher.

You are unbelievable. It's APRIL 15th. There are almost 150 games left in the baseball season. Calling someone a choker after slightly more than two weeks of the season is ridiculous.

For every season the Sox started slowly in the spring and the beginning of the season, I can pull up a season that they did well in spring and sucked to start the season, or one where they sucked in spring training and did well to start the season. And you know what? They didn't win the World Series in lots of those seasons. My memory is fine. I remember week or two week long periods in EVERY season since I joined this site where the Sox did poorly and everyone reacted like they had just executed all of the starters with machine-gun fire and replaced them with Special Olympians.

The Sox will pick up. Things are starting slow, but Victorino, Pedroia, and Middlebrooks will be back. The pitchers who are struggling will stabilize and they will not suffer from poor run support forever. The Sox will contend.

There is still snow piled in parking lots here in Connecticut, for christs sake. It's early. The sky is not falling, the Sox are just slumping. If this was happening in September, I would be concerned. I'm pretty sure it won't still be happening then.

User Name?
04-16-2014, 12:04 AM
You are unbelievable. It's APRIL 15th. There are almost 150 games left in the baseball season. Calling someone a choker after slightly more than two weeks of the season is ridiculous.

Slightly more than two weeks in his career.

Youk Of The Nation
04-16-2014, 12:10 AM

?

Bogaerts played a bit last season. I don't know what you mean, unless you are talking about someone else.

User Name?
04-16-2014, 12:28 AM
?

Bogaerts played a bit last season. I don't know what you mean, unless you are talking about someone else.

I'm talking about Bogaerts. His playing time amounts to less than a month in total games.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
04-16-2014, 12:39 AM
Not that there's any such thing as a choker anyway, but attaching that label to fucking BOGAERTS of all people is batshit insane.

d-money
04-16-2014, 12:55 AM
Yes its early but they need wins pronto!! This losing streak has to stop.They are 4 games under 500.They look like they going through the motions.

Navafan29
04-16-2014, 01:06 AM
Spice things up to wake the Sox up.

Mike Carp full time DH
Move Napoli to 3rd
Move Ortiz to CF
Players get chicken and beer every time they win as a motivator.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
04-16-2014, 01:44 AM
Finally found what I was looking for.

In 2013 we led MLB in pitches seen by a comfortable margin. So far this year we're tied for 10th, which isn't bad, but it's definitely not where we want to be. Part of it can be blamed on injuries, getting people like Herrera out of the lineup should help. Middlebrooks was our second-best guy last year at padding pitch counts (although Victorino was the worst of the starters). But I'm concerned about the team as a whole getting away from what made them so good last year, which was padding pitch counts and not being greedy dickheads. I'm concerned about someone like Pierzynski, who prides himself on not taking pitches and swinging at dumb shit, having a voice in the clubhouse. The fucking guy is seeing less than 3 pitches per plate appearance. That's pathetic. The jump from 2 to 4 pitches in one single at-bat may not be a game changer, but those extra pitches will add up if the entire lineup buys into it. If the other team's starter throws more pitches, he gets tired quicker, and subsequently leaves the game quicker. He could also get frustrated and end up serving up better pitches to hit. Once he's gone, you get to feast on middle relievers, who aren't as good as starters.

You can help yourself by just making the other guy throw. There was an awful lot of hacking going on in Yankee Stadium. If nothing else is working for you, you can at least make the other pitcher throw. It's like boxing out and rebounding in basketball. You don't need to be hot or in the zone to do it, you just have to be focused on what actually helps your team win. They made Nova throw for 3 innings on Sunday, then cancelled it all out by hacking like idiots for the rest of his outing. This isn't like hitting home runs or hitting with RISP (which is luck anyway). You don't need to be a naturally gifted baseball player to see 3 pitches in at bat. Anyone from this forum could see 3 pitches in a major league at bat. No matter how fat, old, slovenly, out-of-shape or otherwise physically disadvantaged we may be, it wouldn't be possible for a major league pitcher to strike us out in less than 3 pitches.

Navafan29
04-16-2014, 02:44 AM
Finally found what I was looking for.

In 2013 we led MLB in pitches seen by a comfortable margin. So far this year we're tied for 10th, which isn't bad, but it's definitely not where we want to be. Part of it can be blamed on injuries, getting people like Herrera out of the lineup should help. Middlebrooks was our second-best guy last year at padding pitch counts (although Victorino was the worst of the starters). But I'm concerned about the team as a whole getting away from what made them so good last year, which was padding pitch counts and not being greedy dickheads. I'm concerned about someone like Pierzynski, who prides himself on not taking pitches and swinging at dumb shit, having a voice in the clubhouse. The fucking guy is seeing less than 3 pitches per plate appearance. That's pathetic. The jump from 2 to 4 pitches in one single at-bat may not be a game changer, but those extra pitches will add up if the entire lineup buys into it. If the other team's starter throws more pitches, he gets tired quicker, and subsequently leaves the game quicker. He could also get frustrated and end up serving up better pitches to hit. Once he's gone, you get to feast on middle relievers, who aren't as good as starters.

You can help yourself by just making the other guy throw. There was an awful lot of hacking going on in Yankee Stadium. If nothing else is working for you, you can at least make the other pitcher throw. It's like boxing out and rebounding in basketball. You don't need to be hot or in the zone to do it, you just have to be focused on what actually helps your team win. They made Nova throw for 3 innings on Sunday, then cancelled it all out by hacking like idiots for the rest of his outing. This isn't like hitting home runs or hitting with RISP (which is luck anyway). You don't need to be a naturally gifted baseball player to see 3 pitches in at bat. Anyone from this forum could see 3 pitches in a major league at bat. No matter how fat, old, slovenly, out-of-shape or otherwise physically disadvantaged we may be, it wouldn't be possible for a major league pitcher to strike us out in less than 3 pitches.

I say we swing at good pitches early in the count when we're against a team with great relievers. But if you're up against a really good starter, work that count.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
04-16-2014, 03:46 AM
With relievers all bets are off. Starters always need to be pushed though.

mvp 78
04-16-2014, 05:02 AM
I tend to take a lot of stock in baseball games lost by one run in 20 degree weather.

redsoxrules
04-16-2014, 09:38 AM
The thing that worries me about XB is that his defense hasn't impressed the least bit.
I can understand slumping at the plate and give him time with the bat but the defense should be there.
A lot of bounced throws to first base ( not just lastnight ).He also should have 4 errors but the scoring was generous on him on a few plays. He looks shaky fielding. Defensive statistics shows it too.

jacksonianmarch
04-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Bogaerts is a minus defender at SS and expected to be a 3b long term

seabeachfred
04-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Fred, you don't get to tell anyone here what they can and can't say. Your idea that they are struggling because they let off the gas in ST after a WS run is: A) Unproven at best, and fabrication at worst, and B ) Fucking retarded. Stop it with the goddamn whining, no one wants to read it dude, seriously. You're just making it up as you go and don't have a clue.

BULLSHIT!!!!!!! Wake the hell up!!!! This is exactly what happened in 2009 and 2011 and to somewhat lesser extent in 2010 and 2012. We did the same thing then and we got off to shitty starts. Look it up and get your head out of the sand. If you don't want to hear me whine then don't read my posts, and keep in mind if you've been reading the game thread there are plenty of people here who are as pissed off as I am. I don't know what they have in the water where you live but to think that all is right with the team only tells me you haven't a fucking clue about what's going on. To be precise.....we had a lousy ST. We are having a lousy start. We had a lousy ST in those aforementioned years and got off to other bad starts. Your brain can't be that scrambled that you can't see the relationship unless you're more fucking retarded than previously thought to be.

sk7326
04-16-2014, 10:05 AM
The thing that worries me about XB is that his defense hasn't impressed the least bit.
I can understand slumping at the plate and give him time with the bat but the defense should be there.
A lot of bounced throws to first base ( not just lastnight ).He also should have 4 errors but the scoring was generous on him on a few plays. He looks shaky fielding. Defensive statistics shows it too.

Defense was always the uphill battle with him - the assumption is that the bat would make it ok. It's work in progress.

SoxSport
04-16-2014, 10:05 AM
The sample size is much too small to reach any conclusions. Anyways, there are people in the organization who are paid very well to identify any problems and correct them. The best thing they can do is ignore the media--which is paid to make instant judgments on everything.

Having said that, my own judgment (LOL) is they are getting injuries they have to deal with. Lots of injuries early could mean some of their regular players haven't gotten enough conditioning in Florida. It's easy to conclude that with all the PT the minor leaguers got who haven't a chance to make the team. They should change that next year.

Last year, they got off to a slow start, too. They lost two closers early. But they straightened out eventually to become the best team in baseball the 2nd half. It's a marathon, so you just have to ignore the early setbacks and the media which views every day as a season. X makes a bad throw, and the media yells Drew as if they were getting a commission from Boras. One conspiracy theory that is probably accurate. The guy is capable of it.

Cherington & Co have some work to do. Carp is showing his primary use should be Papi's backup at DH--which makes him eminently expendable. They have discovered two very good outfielders in Sizemore and JBJ. Combined with Vic, that's a good OF. Not sure who plays where, but they are the top three. Badensomething has disappointed--they should cut him, but he's got a 2 yr contract?, so they will suffer with him until he gets in shape.

A reminder that this team won the championship last year--and pretty easily. They have nothing to prove this year. A good time to let the kids develop and ignore the media. Luck is a big factor in winning, and lightening rarely strikes twice. Except for the Miami Heat--who have been damn lucky for several years James has stayed sound.

sk7326
04-16-2014, 10:07 AM
BULLSHIT!!!!!!! Wake the hell up!!!! This is exactly what happened in 2009 and 2011 and to somewhat lesser extent in 2010 and 2012. We did the same thing then and we got off to shitty starts. Look it up and get your head out of the sand. If you don't want to hear me whine then don't read my posts, and keep in mind if you've been reading the game thread there are plenty of people here who are as pissed off as I am. I don't know what they have in the water where you live but to think that all is right with the team only tells me you haven't a fucking clue about what's going on. To be precise.....we had a lousy ST. We are having a lousy start. We had a lousy ST in those aforementioned years and got off to other bad starts. Your brain can't be that scrambled that you can't see the relationship unless you're more fucking retarded than previously thought to be.

They are struggling because of some injuries and because it's a 14 game sample. Schedule will get easier - and guys may or may not return. The latter is the key. All of the other hooey is just stuff to give fans something to talk about. The Sox had tons of guys hurt by the end of 2011 and all of 2012. They were very lucky last year on that front. So far, not so much.

seabeachfred
04-16-2014, 10:11 AM

For every season the Sox started slowly in the spring and the beginning of the season, I can pull up a season that they did well in spring and sucked to start the season, or one where they sucked in spring training and did well to start the season. And you know what? They didn't win the World Series in lots of those seasons. My memory is fine. I remember week or two week long periods in EVERY season since I joined this site where the Sox did poorly and everyone reacted like they had just executed all of the starters with machine-gun fire and replaced them with Special Olympians.

The Sox will pick up. Things are starting slow, but Victorino, Pedroia, and Middlebrooks will be back. The pitchers who are struggling will stabilize and they will not suffer from poor run support forever. The Sox will contend.

There is still snow piled in parking lots here in Connecticut, for christs sake. It's early. The sky is not falling, the Sox are just slumping. If this was happening in September, I would be concerned. I'm pretty sure it won't still be happening then.

That's yours and User's opinion but it is astounding that you and he can't see the lack of energy and even more lack of urgency in what we've been seeing so far. You say it will get better. It might....it did some of those other years only to collapse at the end. Opinions vary but when you get off to a slow start and rally you often extend so much energy that you're spent near the end of the season.....read 2009 and 2011 when we got off to similar pathetic starts. Just for the record, we have no speed, we're not hitting, we look flat. Am I suppose to believe you and your lodge brother or what I saw with my own eyes in Boston and have seen on the screen the past week. Kudos to you if you're right and I hope that's so, but I don't like what I'm seeing right now, and it was a question I asked about Bogaerts and not an accusation. IS IT POSSIBLE HE IS A CHOKER????? He has shown a serious inability to drive in runs and unlike some others I think RBI's and clutch hitting count for a lot. Well, let's see how the next week goes and whether there will be improvements or whether the excuses will keep flying out off the board. I'm now very concerned.

seabeachfred
04-16-2014, 10:14 AM

Can you even read down where you live? No one CALLED Bogey a choker----it was a question...COULD HE BE A CHOKER?????? Big difference.

Palodios
04-16-2014, 10:21 AM
I understand that it is a small sample size, but over 100 plate appearances, Bogaerts has crushed lefties (.924 OPS) and been beaten by righties (.554 OPS).

Was this a trend he saw in the minor leagues? He definitely needs to make an adjustment here.

seabeachfred
04-16-2014, 10:21 AM
We need to start hitting, show some fire and start winning some games. That would take care of things and settle us worriers down. Right now I am concerned and I'll bet others feel the same way. Off to 24 Hour Fitness to work off some of this aggressiveness. Like almost all Red Sox fans I live and die with the team.

mvp 78
04-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Can you even read down where you live? No one CALLED Bogey a choker----it was a question...COULD HE BE A CHOKER?????? Big difference.

Wow.

sk7326
04-16-2014, 10:22 AM
I understand that it is a small sample size, but over 100 plate appearances, Bogaerts has crushed lefties (.924 OPS) and been beaten by righties (.554 OPS).

Was this a trend he saw in the minor leagues? He definitely needs to make an adjustment here.

True - although one constant in his career so far has been the ability to adapt to these levels where he is young. I am excited to see him figure this out.

mvp 78
04-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Back pre-2004, when the Sox would roar past the Yanks early on, Yankees fans would always say "wait until June."

I don't see why it should be different in 2014.

User Name?
04-16-2014, 10:24 AM
They are struggling because of some injuries and because it's a 14 game sample. Schedule will get easier - and guys may or may not return. The latter is the key. All of the other hooey is just stuff to give fans something to talk about. The Sox had tons of guys hurt by the end of 2011 and all of 2012. They were very lucky last year on that front. So far, not so much.

You're trying to exercise logic with someone who doesn't understand what the concept is. "Older means wiser" need not apply with that specimen.

mvp 78
04-16-2014, 10:27 AM
You're trying to exercise logic with someone who doesn't understand what the concept is. "Older means wiser" need not apply with that specimen.

The difference between fine wine and skunked beer.

User Name?
Back pre-2004, when the Sox would roar past the Yanks early on, Yankees fans would always say "wait until June."

I don't see why it should be different in 2014.

Because some people are trying to prove their "Red Sox fandom" by being insufferable douches.

rjortiz

I didn't see it, but I read that Carp couldn't dig out the low throw from Bogaerts. Would Napoli make that play?

Depends what scout you talk to, and what minus means.

User Name?
04-16-2014, 10:29 AM
I didn't see it, but I read that Carp couldn't dig out the low throw from Bogaerts. Would Napoli make that play?

I challenge Jacko to find me a scouting report that project Bogaert's defense and arm tools at less than a 40, which is MLB average. He's making it up.

rjortiz
04-16-2014, 10:55 AM
I think people are forgetting that Bogaerts is still only 20. Most 20 years olds are in A ball, or playing in the SEC. If he has a .750 OPS at the end of the year, I'll be thrilled with that.

Spudboy
04-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Holy crap Fred. By all means avoid sharp objects.

I'm not going to hit the panic button. I've been watching this team for 48 years and have seen slow starts too many times to think that the season is lost at this point.

I just read an article on BDC that pointed out that between May 3 and May 14, 2013, the Sox went 2-9.

Slumps are part of the game. This team has a bunch of talent. I see no reason why they won't start playing .600+ ball at sometimes this spring.

sk7326
04-16-2014, 11:23 AM

Someone has been looking up the 2011 scouting reports. The leap he made to uber-prospect was related to his ability to play SS in the medium term at least. Yeah the ceiling is more of average to above average than plus - basically a Troy Tulowitzki level (which would be an MVP candidate btw). Nothing that has gone wrong with him can't be fixed by just him getting reps. That he's putting in a .377 OBP while ironing stuff out is extremely encouraging.

a700hitter
04-16-2014, 11:26 AM
BULLSHIT!!!!!!! Wake the hell up!!!! This is exactly what happened in 2009 and 2011 and to somewhat lesser extent in 2010 and 2012. We did the same thing then and we got off to shitty starts. Look it up and get your head out of the sand. If you don't want to hear me whine then don't read my posts, and keep in mind if you've been reading the game thread there are plenty of people here who are as pissed off as I am. I don't know what they have in the water where you live but to think that all is right with the team only tells me you haven't a fucking clue about what's going on. To be precise.....we had a lousy ST. We are having a lousy start. We had a lousy ST in those aforementioned years and got off to other bad starts. Your brain can't be that scrambled that you can't see the relationship unless you're more fucking retarded than previously thought to be.Your theory is as plausible as any other. You don't need proof as some demand. It is a theory. There is no disputing that we are playing lke crap. These guys are talented ballplayers, so there has to be an explanation for the bad team play. Usually everyone doesn't hit or slump at the same time.

redsoxrules
04-16-2014, 11:33 AM

It was poor throw by XB. Your first baseman shouldn't have to bail you out most of the time.

User Name?
04-16-2014, 11:36 AM
So what you're saying is that two weeks worth of games and a couple of poor throws are enough to pigeonhole XB's defensive potential?

mvp 78
04-16-2014, 11:37 AM
It was poor throw by XB. Your first baseman shouldn't have to bail you out most of the time.

Is the 1b bailing him out on the majority of his throws? Haven't noticed it too bad. Isn't this slso correctible for a young player? I heard he's putting in a ton of work at SS.

redsoxrules
04-16-2014, 11:44 AM
So what you're saying is that two weeks worth of games and a couple of poor throws are enough to pigeonhole XB's defensive potential?

Not just poor throws, overall defense hasn't been great period.

redsoxrules
04-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Is the 1b bailing him out on the majority of his throws? Haven't noticed it too bad. Isn't this slso correctible for a young player? I heard he's putting in a ton of work at SS.

He's had quite a few throws bounced into first base. Not on rush throws either.

User Name?
04-16-2014, 11:46 AM

It's April 16th. You can't evaluate anything in two weeks.

redsoxrules
04-16-2014, 11:55 AM
It's April 16th. You can't evaluate anything in two weeks.

Defense is his weekness. Even in the minors.
He would be best suited for 3B

User Name?
04-16-2014, 12:03 PM

The reason he shot to top-prospect status is because his D at SS improved enough in the minors for him to be safely projected as an at least average defensive SS in the Majors for the long term. You are contradicting every scouting report and analysis piece on Bogaerts because you've seen him underthrow a couple times in cold weather and have convinced yourself D is his "weakness". That makes no sense.

Spudboy
04-16-2014, 12:03 PM
I think it's quite obvious that XB is not Eglasias or even Drew (sp) at this point. But who is?

I've seen most of his throws to first base. Many of them are high and or off mark. He seems to have a strong arm. My GUESS is that he needs more work on his footwork.

He reminds me very much of a young Jetter.

I don't understand why anyone here expects this kid to be all-world at this point.

I say give him time to refine his skills. The people who are paid to evaluate baseball talent seem to be in consensus that he will be a very good SS. That is good enough for me at this point.

jacksonianmarch
04-16-2014, 12:04 PM

I could care less about the first two weeks. I'm going off the SRs out of the minors over the last few yrs. average or worse defender expected to outgrow the position anyway

User Name?
04-16-2014, 12:06 PM
I could care less about the first two weeks. I'm going off the SRs out of the minors over the last few yrs. average or worse defender expected to outgrow the position anyway

What are your sources? Everything i've read sides a hell of a lot more with average to slightly above average. I will concede though, that most publications do expect him to outgrow the position.

Do notice that there's a significant difference between an "average" and "poor" defender in both the 20-80 scale and statistical analysis/

a700hitter
04-16-2014, 12:09 PM
I think Bogaerts can handle the position. I think it may be too much to expect from him the kind of offensive production that we need in the top of the order. He can provide very nice offensive production from the bottom of the order. We need to get Pedroia, Victorino and Sizemore at the top of the lineup on a regular basis.

mvp 78
04-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Defensively, he's no worse than Nomar (dwar). Nomar's defensive deficiencies were never a big deal around here. We just made excuses for him (bad infield). His bat at SS plus replacement level defense is find by me.

Station 13
04-16-2014, 01:36 PM
The Red Sox need to just ride this out in the next 2 weeks. If they can get back to .500, they'd done alright. Get the regulars back in May and play better.

One thing they must do right now is to catch the damn ball. Bad defense cost them a few games already.

Orange Juiced
04-16-2014, 01:38 PM

No way do I want XB off SS right now. I want him growing into the position. He's a long term stud. I'm ok with some early season growing pains.

sk7326
04-16-2014, 01:40 PM
I think Bogaerts can handle the position. I think it may be too much to expect from him the kind of offensive production that we need in the top of the order. He can provide very nice offensive production from the bottom of the order. We need to get Pedroia, Victorino and Sizemore at the top of the lineup on a regular basis.

A .377 OBP is pretty good at the top of the order ... for him, it's just getting reps

SoxSport
04-16-2014, 02:51 PM
What X needs is to have the media lay off him. Half those guys are promoting Drew for Boras, anyways. Bogaerts is the top SS prospect right now in MLB, and he needs some experience as the Red Sox SS. So does JBJ in the OF. X has looked OK to me so far. Let's turn off the microscopes. We don't have to do this for a living, thank heavens.

Fact is the Red Sox have defensive holes--especially in their backups: Carp, Nava and Gomes as the major bench along with Roberts who? and Herrera.

mvp 78
04-16-2014, 02:56 PM
Herrera isn't a terrible 2b/SS. He's far worse at 3b though when you look at all the defensive metrics. He's basically out of position there.

redsoxrules
04-16-2014, 03:32 PM
A .377 OBP is pretty good at the top of the order ... for him, it's just getting reps

Who has a 377 OBP?

seabeachfred
04-16-2014, 03:45 PM

He might be best suited for third base in some people's opinion but he has to stay at shortstop. We have two good hitting third basemen in Middlebrooks and the upcoming Garin Cecchini and one of them in my opinion has to be moved to get both bats in the lineup. To move Bogaerts would result in putting a weak hitter at shortstop in Marrero who couldn't even crack 300 in college. We have to go with Xander at short and hope that his fielding keeps getting better and that he starts showing us that he is the hitter we all believe him to be.

seabeachfred
04-16-2014, 03:49 PM

Well Pal, that means we should see some drumfire hitting from him the next two nights since we face lefties both times. Needless to say we need him to start hitting with authority and start driving in some runs.

seabeachfred
04-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Because some people are trying to prove their "Red Sox fandom" by being insufferable douches.

The only insufferable douchebag I know is you. You can't read very well and misinterpret half of what Ted, Sox Sport and some of the rest of us say. And let me warn you once again shitface.....you get personal and start calling me names and I will respond in a way that will fry you fucking ears. You want to disagree with me, fine, but keep the personal attacks out of it or I'll once again make you go cry like the big pussy you are to the mods.

seabeachfred
04-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Holy crap Fred. By all means avoid sharp objects.

I'm not going to hit the panic button. I've been watching this team for 48 years and have seen slow starts too many times to think that the season is lost at this point.

I just read an article on BDC that pointed out that between May 3 and May 14, 2013, the Sox went 2-9.

Slumps are part of the game. This team has a bunch of talent. I see no reason why they won't start playing .600+ ball at sometimes this spring.

Spud, you called me and nicely told me I was full of it. Fine. Doing it that way I can take it and respect the one doing it. As long as it doesn't get personal, which one douchebag on this board still doesn't understand. I might also point out that also in 2013, we got off to a helluva lot better start so that 2-9 stretch, as bad as it was, didn't put us in a hole.

seabeachfred
04-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Your theory is as plausible as any other. You don't need proof as some demand. It is a theory. There is no disputing that we are playing lke crap. These guys are talented ballplayers, so there has to be an explanation for the bad team play. Usually everyone doesn't hit or slump at the same time.

Right 700, it's a theory and my opinion. Trouble is there are a few douches on the board who want people to think a certain way like what comes out of their mouths is gold instead of more theoretical bullshit as well.

a700hitter
04-16-2014, 04:02 PM
The only insufferable douchebag I know is you. You can't read very well and misinterpret half of what Ted, Sox Sport and some of the rest of us say. And let me warn you once again shitface.....you get personal and start calling me names and I will respond in a way that will fry you fucking ears. You want to disagree with me, fine, but keep the personal attacks out of it or I'll once again make you go cry like the big pussy you are to the mods.LOL!! Fred, put the jackass on ignore. He posts nothing that is worth putting up with his BS. There are so many other smart insightful posters here that you will not be missing anything by not reading him. The only thing you will miss will be the headache. :)

seabeachfred
04-16-2014, 04:05 PM
No way do I want XB off SS right now. I want him growing into the position. He's a long term stud. I'm ok with some early season growing pains.

Right OJ, and it would be swell if he starts hitting like we think he can and help carry the team until the rest of the group comes back.

Navafan29
04-16-2014, 04:06 PM
We've almost played as many games as an entire NFL season. If we go 5-10 then I'm going to start worrying. It's not about which team wins x amount of games. It's about which team manages to stay ahead of the others and take 1st in the end. Spring training is for warming up, not the regular season.

I'm not worried about Bogaerts yet. He is hitting .260 in his real first year. Last time I checked, the average average for MLB players is about .255. It isn't bad, it isn't good, .255 is average. Average as in, it's about the normal batting average for a hitter. Bogaerts is hitting that, meaning he's about a normal MLB player so far, and it's only his first real year. It's a small sample size so we have no idea what he'll bat by season's end. But he's a rookie and he's already up to the level, so I'm not worried.

Also did SoxSport seriously just say that the Sox won the world series "pretty easily" last year? Did you not watch the playoffs? Games 2 and 3 against Detroit?

User Name?
04-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Batting average, like spring training, means very little in the grand scheme of things.

SoxSport
04-16-2014, 04:09 PM
The only insufferable douchebag I know is you. You can't read very well and misinterpret half of what Ted, Sox Sport and some of the rest of us say. And let me warn you once again shitface.....you get personal and start calling me names and I will respond in a way that will fry you fucking ears. You want to disagree with me, fine, but keep the personal attacks out of it or I'll once again make you go cry like the big pussy you are to the mods.

haha. this is better than the tweets.

sk7326
04-16-2014, 04:22 PM
We've almost played as many games as an entire NFL season. If we go 5-10 then I'm going to start worrying. It's not about which team wins x amount of games. It's about which team manages to stay ahead of the others and take 1st in the end. Spring training is for warming up, not the regular season.

I'm not worried about Bogaerts yet. He is hitting .260 in his real first year. Last time I checked, the average average for MLB players is about .255. It isn't bad, it isn't good, .255 is average. Average as in, it's about the normal batting average for a hitter. Bogaerts is hitting that, meaning he's about a normal MLB player so far, and it's only his first real year. It's a small sample size so we have no idea what he'll bat by season's end. But he's a rookie and he's already up to the level, so I'm not worried.

Also did SoxSport seriously just say that the Sox won the world series "pretty easily" last year? Did you not watch the playoffs? Games 2 and 3 against Detroit?

LOL - to be fair, Sox never faced an elimination game and were only behind twice in any series. It was not a blitz, but it was a lot less stressful than 2007 and 2004. That said in 2013, the Sox ALDS and WS opponents were a LOT better than the 2004 and 2007 opponents.

yankees228
04-16-2014, 04:25 PM
LOL - to be fair, Sox never faced an elimination game and were only behind twice in any series. It was not a blitz, but it was a lot less stressful than 2007 and 2004. That said in 2013, the Sox ALDS and WS opponents were a LOT better than the 2004 and 2007 opponents.

The 2013 Rays were not a lot better than the 2004 or 2007 Angels. They may not have even been better -- their Pythagorean W-L record was a few games worse than both of those Angels' teams.

Also, the 2004 Cardinals were a great team, maybe the best NL team of the last decade. Four bad games doesn't change that.

sk7326
04-16-2014, 04:46 PM
The 2013 Rays were not a lot better than the 2004 or 2007 Angels. They may not have even been better -- their Pythagorean W-L record was a few games worse than both of those Angels' teams.

Also, the 2004 Cardinals were a great team, maybe the best NL team of the last decade. Four bad games doesn't change that.

2004 Cards were the best NL team at the apex of the "AL was miles better than the NL" part of the decade. Without Chris Carpenter, that series was a mismatch. The Rays were doing their thing in an insanely difficult AL East, tougher than either version of the AL West Anaheim won (and the 2004 West was not bad at all). You can also make a case the 2004 Sox were the best team of the decade - with the 2007 Sox being a solid contender. Both times they had a life and death series with the 2nd best team in the entire league in the LCS round.

User Name?
04-16-2014, 05:19 PM

Fred, keep your anger in check, lest your vagina explode like a700's already has. We don't want to have to clean up that mess too.

User Name?
04-16-2014, 05:21 PM
2004 Cards were the best NL team at the apex of the "AL was miles better than the NL" part of the decade. Without Chris Carpenter, that series was a mismatch. The Rays were doing their thing in an insanely difficult AL East, tougher than either version of the AL West Anaheim won (and the 2004 West was not bad at all). You can also make a case the 2004 Sox were the best team of the decade - with the 2007 Sox being a solid contender. Both times they had a life and death series with the 2nd best team in the entire league in the LCS round.

The Cardinals didn't have Carpenter, but Schilling's health was a huge question mark, and Pedro wasn't the Pedro of old. The Cardinals had essentially the best lineup an NL team could field with three 34+ homer hitters and lots of depth. A few balls dropping and that would have been a very different series.

sk7326
04-16-2014, 05:36 PM
The Cardinals didn't have Carpenter, but Schilling's health was a huge question mark, and Pedro wasn't the Pedro of old. The Cardinals had essentially the best lineup an NL team could field with three 34+ homer hitters and lots of depth. A few balls dropping and that would have been a very different series.

Schilling's health was an issue - but the Sox had solid rotation edges in Games 3 and 4. The Cards lineup was good - but the Sox was one of the best of recent times. Sox played two of their worst games in that entire postseason and won both games and then sparkled in the other two. In a sense, the "a few things and it'd be different" applies to any set of games. IMO, that difference is more the difference between a sweep and a 6 game series than something too directional. Sox win that series most of times it is played (this being baseball after all, that means something like 2 out of 3) - and it is more a statement on the 2004 team's quality than the Cards. (although that was a poor NL and remained that way for a while)

yankees228
04-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Schilling's health was an issue - but the Sox had solid rotation edges in Games 3 and 4. The Cards lineup was good - but the Sox was one of the best of recent times. Sox played two of their worst games in that entire postseason and won both games and then sparkled in the other two. In a sense, the "a few things and it'd be different" applies to any set of games. IMO, that difference is more the difference between a sweep and a 6 game series than something too directional. Sox win that series most of times it is played (this being baseball after all, that means something like 2 out of 3) - and it is more a statement on the 2004 team's quality than the Cards. (although that was a poor NL and remained that way for a while)

Yeah, the 2004 Red Sox were, without a doubt, the best team in baseball. I always told people that the Yankees going up 3-0 in that series was a bigger shock than the Red Sox winning the next 4. I just wouldn't sell the Cardinals short. No Carpenter was a big deal, but their offense had a ton of power, they ran the bases extremely well, and they played great defense. You don't win 105 games by accident.

jacksonianmarch
04-16-2014, 05:44 PM
I have said this 1000 times this offseason and into the preseason. The sox had a great mix of career years and solid health last yr. Expecting the same after losing Ellsbury, Salty, and Drew is crazy.

Bellhorn04
04-16-2014, 06:03 PM
I have said this 1000 times this offseason and into the preseason. The sox had a great mix of career years and solid health last yr. Expecting the same after losing Ellsbury, Salty, and Drew is crazy.

Couldn't be expected to repeat 2013 even if we did keep those 3.

jacksonianmarch
04-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Couldn't be expected to repeat 2013 even if we did keep those 3.

Exactly. And losing those three made this yr your true bridge yr. It wouldn't have been tolerated too well had last yr not gone so well for you guys.

reYoukilis
04-17-2014, 10:24 PM
No one knows whos going to win the WS but if the division stays tight in the early months, I can see things jelling for us in the middle to late months. Ellsbury was important for us but was he as important as Pedroia, Papi, Victorino, or Napoli? We still have those guys and if Bogaerts and Sizemore deliver, I dont see much of a dropoff.

Palodios
04-17-2014, 10:41 PM
The Yankees and the Red Sox both have to worry about key players who are either aging or injury prone.

The Yanks have CC, Kuroda, Ellsbury, Jeter, Beltran, and Soriano who could all be big question marks midway through the season because of age and injury concerns.
The Red Sox rely heavily on Ortiz and Koji, while Pedroia and Victorino seem like big injury concerns as well.

Meawhile, the pesky Rays lose a crucial arm in Moore, the Jays are without Reyes and the O's are without Machado.

This season will come down to luck.

yankees228
04-18-2014, 02:16 AM
The Yankees and the Red Sox both have to worry about key players who are either aging or injury prone.

The Yanks have CC, Kuroda, Ellsbury, Jeter, Beltran, and Soriano who could all be big question marks midway through the season because of age and injury concerns.
The Red Sox rely heavily on Ortiz and Koji, while Pedroia and Victorino seem like big injury concerns as well.

Meawhile, the pesky Rays lose a crucial arm in Moore, the Jays are without Reyes and the O's are without Machado.

This season will come down to luck.

I'm completely with you, except for Ellsbury. He may very well get injured at some point this season, but he's no bigger injury risk than your average player.

jacksonianmarch
04-18-2014, 07:09 AM
Everyone gets on Ells for his injuries, but all three were shit luck. If Beltre didn't knee him in the ribs, brignac didn't land on his shoulder, and a ball not find it's way fouled off his foot, he'd have had a clean bill of health his whole career

Spudboy
04-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Everyone gets on Ells for his injuries, but all three were shit luck. If Beltre didn't knee him in the ribs, brignac didn't land on his shoulder, and a ball not find it's way fouled off his foot, he'd have had a clean bill of health his whole career

Exactly.

And he still performed really well in the post season despite the injury last year. "Glass". Lol.

Palodios
04-18-2014, 08:34 AM

Ellsbury puts his body on the line with his play, in diving defense and headfirst steals -- that's why he gets hurt frequently. Same thing with Pedroia and Victorino. Maybe he won't have any contact injuries this season, but maybe he will. The point of my post wasn't to say that any one player is going to get hurt -- the point was to say that some of them will.

Behindenemylines
04-21-2014, 06:06 AM
Its early! Lets see wat their record will be through 40 games.Nava is clearly not an everyday player.Herrera needs to be sent down to the minors.

Victorino and WMB should be back this week so decisions are going to have to be made. I hope the cold bats are because of the cold weather because no one is hitting. The Sox record is what it is because of the pitching. Anyone with options should be worried.