PDA

View Full Version : Pedroia to the 15 day DL

RedSoxNC84
06-25-2015, 10:35 AM
After last nights game we knew he was hurting, I was hoping it woudn't be a DL stint but that has since been confirmed. The offense is just not going to be the same without him.

In other news, Joe Kelly FINALLY got optioned to AAA so we won't have to deal with that for a little while. Not sure who will be taking his spot in the mean time though.. Masterson maybe?

mvp 78
06-25-2015, 11:14 AM
Woot! (Joe Kelly)

SoxnCycles
06-25-2015, 11:30 AM
After last nights game we knew he was hurting, I was hoping it woudn't be a DL stint but that has since been confirmed. The offense is just not going to be the same without him.

In other news, Joe Kelly FINALLY got optioned to AAA so we won't have to deal with that for a little while. Not sure who will be taking his spot in the mean time though.. Masterson maybe?

WEEI says Masterson will take his spot on Sunday.

That sucks about Pedroia. Just when the offense was starting to come around, one of the steadiest vets goes down.

Kimmi
06-25-2015, 12:12 PM
WEEI says Masterson will take his spot on Sunday.

That sucks about Pedroia. Just when the offense was starting to come around, one of the steadiest vets goes down.

Yeah, that really stinks. Hopefully, it won't be a prolonged DL stint, and he'll be able to come back after the 15 days. Hamstrings can be tricky things.

He is one of the few vets who isn't a bum! LOL

Behindenemylines
06-28-2015, 11:15 AM
Pedey was having a good season. I hope this isn't something he has a problem with the rest of the season.

jacksonianmarch
07-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Pedroia back to the 15 day DL

mvp 78
07-25-2015, 02:14 PM
What a surprise!

VA Sox Fan
07-25-2015, 02:24 PM
Pedroia back to the 15 day DL

No shit!! That's the thread title. Troll.

Spudboy
07-25-2015, 02:45 PM
The thread refers to his original stint on the DL I think.

In any case Pedroia is most likely done for the year at least as far as being productive. Hammys are a giant bitch. I can't see his calming down anytime soon. If he does come back it will likely be more of the same limited action with him hobbling around.

This really sucks because he was having a resurgent season.

Sox are going nowhere so this does not really hurt. But it sure would be nice to see him play and be effective.

Northern Star
07-25-2015, 02:50 PM

Wow, take a look at the OP date and chill.

RedSoxfanforlife305
07-25-2015, 03:04 PM

Yes the thread was made for his first DL stint, but it still applies. It kind of rubs me off the wrong way too. I know he's a doctor, but he's so quick to point out when a player gets hurt on our team. Almost like he wants to rub it in our face, then tell us how fucked we are. It's annoying. Check out half the threads he makes, they're about our players injuries. Some people don't mind, but I could see VA point as well. Wish he would just stfu, but I've been hoping he'd do that since the day I joined the site.

Spudboy
07-25-2015, 03:09 PM
Yes the thread was made for his first DL stint, but it still applies. It kind of rubs me off the wrong way too. I know he's a doctor, but he's so quick to point out when a player gets hurt on our team. Almost like he wants to rub it in our face, then tell us how fucked we are. It's annoying. Check out half the threads he makes, they're about our players injuries. Some people don't mind, but I could see VA point as well. Wish he would just stfu, but I've been hoping he'd do that since the day I joined the site.

I'm not defending Jacko. I can certainly understand the annoyance that both you and VA feel.

It would be helpful for Jacko to explain how hammy injuries work and what the likely prognoses are.

RedSoxfanforlife305
07-25-2015, 03:29 PM
.....or he could just stop trying to put salt in the wound and try to get the sky is falling reactions out of us. I would call him out on it all the time. I stopped because Yeszir would always be on my ass about it and feared eventually he'd banned me. I only brought it up again to defend VA, but Jacko is going to keep doing his thing and there's nothing we can do about it but accept it. He thinks he is slick, but I caught on to it very quickly.

a700hitter
07-25-2015, 03:30 PM
He is on the DL. Of course Jacko will enjoy that. And if you let him know that his post got to you, he has even more fun. You have yourselves to thank for that.

RedSoxfanforlife305
07-25-2015, 03:42 PM
So basically you're saying he's a troll? Thanks, but I already knew that. We're not to blame here.

a700hitter
07-25-2015, 03:46 PM
So basically you're saying he's a troll? Thanks, but I already knew that. We're not to blame here.You have the power to make him a successful Troll.

RedSoxfanforlife305
07-25-2015, 03:48 PM
It's a shame I don't have the power to put him in timeout LOL.

VA Sox Fan
07-25-2015, 04:00 PM

My bad. But he's still a troll.

User Name?
07-25-2015, 04:00 PM
One of the rare times I agree with a700, meaning he's absolutely, 100% right.

VA Sox Fan
07-25-2015, 04:01 PM

^ This.

VA Sox Fan
07-25-2015, 04:01 PM
He is on the DL. Of course Jacko will enjoy that. And if you let him know that his post got to you, he has even more fun. You have yourselves to thank for that.

Thanks dad.

VA Sox Fan
07-25-2015, 04:02 PM

Yes and I thanked him for his fatherly advice.

User Name?
07-25-2015, 04:03 PM
"Fatherly" is certainly a gracious and kind way of putting it.

RedSoxfanforlife305
07-25-2015, 04:07 PM

Yup, he is. Like I said, we just have to accept it and let it be.

a700hitter
07-25-2015, 05:10 PM
Thanks dad.Beats being called gramps. I havent gotten there yet.

waltr
07-25-2015, 05:30 PM
Hamels has no no in 9th

Spudboy
07-25-2015, 07:00 PM
Just heard Pedroia say that he will be having a PRP injection Monday.

I don't know if this is a proven technique or not. But as long as I don't have to pay for it I don't mind!

Douglas616
07-25-2015, 07:31 PM
Saw it coming from a mile away. He should just rest and saddle up for next year at this point.

Dojji
07-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Saw it coming from a mile away. He should just rest and saddle up for next year at this point.

I agree. I know he's a fighter and a gamer, but there's nothing to play for anymore. Besides, I'm still terrified of the long term ramifications of his body type, play style, and that contract and what the three combined can mean for us.

Fully aware that this is not going to be the popular opinion by any means, if a team wanted Pedroia in trade I'd move him 15 times out of 10 right now. I don't see us as contenders in the immdediate future and we have a top of the line caliber replacement on staff right now (Brock Holt would be at least 24 teams' starting 2B right now) who's far more likely to be in his prime when the team makes it back to relevance, which I estimate to take about 2-3 years.

NativeBostonian
07-25-2015, 08:17 PM
You crack me up, VA.

Kimmi
07-25-2015, 08:23 PM
You crack me up, VA.

VA is the best.

To heck with a King of Talksox, VA is the QUEEN!

wyo-sox
07-25-2015, 09:41 PM
I agree. I know he's a fighter and a gamer, but there's nothing to play for anymore. Besides, I'm still terrified of the long term ramifications of his body type, play style, and that contract and what the three combined can mean for us.

Fully aware that this is not going to be the popular opinion by any means, if a team wanted Pedroia in trade I'd move him 15 times out of 10 right now. I don't see us as contenders in the immdediate future and we have a top of the line caliber replacement on staff right now (Brock Holt would be at least 24 teams' starting 2B right now) who's far more likely to be in his prime when the team makes it back to relevance, which I estimate to take about 2-3 years.

I tend to agree.

a700hitter
07-25-2015, 11:27 PM
VA is the best.

To heck with a King of Talksox, VA is the QUEEN!

Troll

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 07:47 AM

Trading Pedroia would be a PR nightmare, which is the last thing the Sox need right now. Besides, despite their record this year, I don't think that they are 2-3 years away from being a contender. Pedroia is part of a solid core of position players. If the right moves are made this offseason in terms of pitching, they could be right back in it next year.

mvp 78
07-26-2015, 07:55 AM
Pedroia is solid like a pane of glass.

Dojji
07-26-2015, 08:00 AM
You know what? Screw PR. Good PR is winning. Good PR is leveraging your assets to put your team in the best possible position to win. If you're not willing to do that just because of PR you have definitely put the cart before the horse and you have announced to the world that there are things more important than winning -- which ironically probably is also not good for PR, especially not in a town like this.

Put a good team on the field and let the PR take care of itself. Everyone will know what it means when an over 30 veteran is moved along and a younger model played in the same position and this might come as something of a shock to you but as long as the young guy makes good, nobody will even mind. Everyone who's spent any time watching baseball knows about the life cycle and knows what a team needs to do when it's time to shake things up. And a shakeup is definitely called for in the Boston Red Sox.

Heck if the team did trade Pedroia and replace him with Holt I would put money on the table that once that move was made, you, personally, Kimmi, would defend the move. Because trading an over 30 veteran and shaking up the leadership of the team are both logical moves for a team that's struggling to win games.

Or to put it another way -- Nearly every team Dustin Pedroia has ever captained has lost more games than it's won. How much are we really going to miss his leadership?

mvp 78
07-26-2015, 08:03 AM
I agree with Dojji. Someone kidnap Tom Werner!

Dojji
07-26-2015, 08:06 AM
Pedroia is solid like a pane of glass.

Agreed. Just because he plays through injuries a lot doesn't mean he isn't getting injured, that kid has spent most of his career playing hurt and as he ages his ability to play through stuff is going to diminish and we'll start seeing more and more chinks in the armor.

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 08:34 AM
You know what? Screw PR. Good PR is winning. Good PR is leveraging your assets to put your team in the best possible position to win. If you're not willing to do that just because of PR you have definitely put the cart before the horse and you have announced to the world that there are things more important than winning -- which ironically probably is also not good for PR, especially not in a town like this.

Put a good team on the field and let the PR take care of itself. Everyone will know what it means when an over 30 veteran is moved along and a younger model played in the same position and this might come as something of a shock to you but as long as the young guy makes good, nobody will even mind. Everyone who's spent any time watching baseball knows about the life cycle and knows what a team needs to do when it's time to shake things up. And a shakeup is definitely called for in the Boston Red Sox.

Heck if the team did trade Pedroia and replace him with Holt I would put money on the table that once that move was made, you, personally, Kimmi, would defend the move. Because trading an over 30 veteran and shaking up the leadership of the team are both logical moves for a team that's struggling to win games.

Or to put it another way -- Nearly every team Dustin Pedroia has ever captained has lost more games than it's won. How much are we really going to miss his leadership?

I'm not saying that I don't see any logic to trading Pedroia. There is logic to it, depending on what the return is and who replaces him. It's not a move I would make though. Personally, I don't think the team is as far off as you say. I see no need to gut the position players. Figure out who's going to play 1B next year, and focus on pitching. A total shake up of the team is not needed. The talent is there.

Dojji
07-26-2015, 08:55 AM
I don't honestly think the talent is there, at least not in a way that we can count on. We're too dependent on Buchholz, Pedroia and Ortiz right now and those people are in a position where you can count on exactly *none* of them for *anything* next year. I personally want all of them gone and if I had to pick one of the thre to keep my choice of a keeper is probably Ortiz.

cp176
07-26-2015, 08:57 AM
I'm not saying that I don't see any logic to trading Pedroia. There is logic to it, depending on what the return is and who replaces him. It's not a move I would make though. Personally, I don't think the team is as far off as you say. I see no need to gut the position players. Figure out who's going to play 1B next year, and focus on pitching. A total shake up of the team is not needed. The talent is there.

As long as you have Holt to back him up, I think trading Pedroia won't be a priority. Now - if an overhaul is what you are after and Betts moves back to second with Holt backing everybody up along with multiple other moves than go for it. I hope that you are right with respect to this group being closer to winning than I think that they are but Pedroia and his health is not much of a concern. Helps when he is in and doesn't hurt much when he isn't. After the pitching, I do see a third base, first base, dh issue coming up. The quick fix looks like a Ramirez move back to the infield. I don't think that he is a good enough fielder to do anything but hurt us defensively. If that is the case, it creates more problems as in the dh position. I don't think that they can figure out how to solve these issues. What happens to Margot, and what they decide to do with Moncada will create issues of their own.

cp176
07-26-2015, 09:02 AM

I do agree with you about the moves for PR sake of which this team is notorious. They lost me when they jacked up the ticket prices, increased spending and have created argueably the worst team in the American League. They won't see my butt in a seat at Fenway anytime soon and I am sure that they will find somebody elses to replace it with.

User Name?
07-26-2015, 09:15 AM

You're focusing on the wrong problem.

It's the pitching.

mvp 78
07-26-2015, 09:51 AM
Trade Pedroia for pitching.

cp176
07-26-2015, 10:02 AM
Trading Pedroia would be a PR nightmare, which is the last thing the Sox need right now. Besides, despite their record this year, I don't think that they are 2-3 years away from being a contender. Pedroia is part of a solid core of position players. If the right moves are made this offseason in terms of pitching, they could be right back in it next year.

You might just as well keep him anyway. A beat up 32 year old second baseman no matter how good when healthy is not likely to bring back what we want in return.

a700hitter
07-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Trading Pedroia would be a bombshell. Although on the downside of his career, he is still an excellent player. The return would have to be enormous as he is signed through 2012 at less than three quarters of the annual rate being paid to POS Porcello. The return would have to include major league talent and a blue chip prospect plus.

If our farm system is as well stocked as some people think, do we really need to trade part of the core of the team (one of our few true stars) to add to our farm? If this team's farm system is barren, we may have no choice but to move Pedroia to restock the farm. I am not sure that it would be a move that would have positive consequences for the Red Sox, not even several years down the road as I have zero confidence in Ben's judgment. If they trade Pedroia, I think that will be a strong indicator that the team is going nowhere for 2 to 3 more years. That would make 6 or 7 years of almost continuous suck. For a team with the resources of the Red Sox, that would be astounding. I really can't see this happening, especially if the Red Sox pick up Buch's option for almost what Pedroia makes.

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 11:14 AM
I don't honestly think the talent is there, at least not in a way that we can count on. We're too dependent on Buchholz, Pedroia and Ortiz right now and those people are in a position where you can count on exactly *none* of them for *anything* next year. I personally want all of them gone and if I had to pick one of the thre to keep my choice of a keeper is probably Ortiz.

I think Buchholz' option should be picked up, but the FO cannot depend on him to be the ace, or to give the team a full season. They have to acquire a bona fide #1 for next season.

As far as Pedroia and Papi go, saying that you can't count on them for anything next year is a bit of an exaggeration. I understand that they are both getting older. I understand that the way Pedroia plays, coupled with him being older, puts him at risk for injury. He is still a very productive player, though, and he's far from being the problem of this team. Pedroia is the last player I would ever bet against.

I would be more concerned with Ortiz for next season than I am about Pedroia, due to the simple fact that he will be 40. Even so, I wouldn't count him out either. And like it or not, he will be back due to his vesting option.

The key is to always have a viable back up plan. The youngest, healthiest, best player can get injured or hit a break wall. You have to plan for such.

IMO, your idea would make more sense if the team were indeed going into full rebuild mode. I don't see that happening and I don't see the need for that happening.

wyo-sox
07-26-2015, 11:20 AM

So you don't think being the last place team 3/4 years is a PR nightmare?

mvp 78
07-26-2015, 12:49 PM

As long as they are still selling panda hats, it's all good to them.

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 01:13 PM
As long as you have Holt to back him up, I think trading Pedroia won't be a priority. Now - if an overhaul is what you are after and Betts moves back to second with Holt backing everybody up along with multiple other moves than go for it. I hope that you are right with respect to this group being closer to winning than I think that they are but Pedroia and his health is not much of a concern. Helps when he is in and doesn't hurt much when he isn't. After the pitching, I do see a third base, first base, dh issue coming up. The quick fix looks like a Ramirez move back to the infield. I don't think that he is a good enough fielder to do anything but hurt us defensively. If that is the case, it creates more problems as in the dh position. I don't think that they can figure out how to solve these issues. What happens to Margot, and what they decide to do with Moncada will create issues of their own.

I agree that Pedroia is not the issue.

Hanley is never going to be a great defender, but he was not as bad in the infield. Even though LF should be an easier position to play, it's a different skillset than what Hanley is used to. He's played a little bit at 3B, and a lot at SS, so moving him to 3B might limit his defensive damage a little.

The idea of having Hanley at 1B scares the heck out of me. Having a good defensive 1B makes the rest of the infield better defensively. We see play after play where a 1B makes a great pick, saving his infielder an error and saving his team some runs. I don't have the confidence in Hanley to do that.

That said, that would mean moving Pablo to 1B. I don't know how good he would be at that position either, though I'm pretty sure he would be better than Hanley.

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 01:18 PM
I do agree with you about the moves for PR sake of which this team is notorious. They lost me when they jacked up the ticket prices, increased spending and have created argueably the worst team in the American League. They won't see my butt in a seat at Fenway anytime soon and I am sure that they will find somebody elses to replace it with.

Dojii's point of making or not making a move solely for the sake of PR is a valid one. With Pedroia, however, trading him would not be the right move for other reasons, in addition to it being a bad PR move.

mvp 78
07-26-2015, 01:20 PM
Why? He can never stay healthy. He has been underwhelming since 2009.

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 01:21 PM
You might just as well keep him anyway. A beat up 32 year old second baseman no matter how good when healthy is not likely to bring back what we want in return.

Pedroia is the heart and soul of this team. That might be cliche', but it has merit. IMO, he is worth more to our team than he would be worth to any other team in a trade.

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 01:23 PM

Of course it is. There is no reason to make things worse by trading off a player who it not the problem not the problem, just for the sake of shaking things up.

mvp 78
07-26-2015, 01:24 PM
How did the heart and soul help us in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 or 2015?

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Why? He can never stay healthy. He has been underwhelming since 2009.

I don't get this "underwhelming" statement at all. By what standards?

a700hitter
07-26-2015, 01:30 PM
I agree that Pedroia is not the issue.

Hanley is never going to be a great defender, but he was not as bad in the infield. Even though LF should be an easier position to play, it's a different skillset than what Hanley is used to. He's played a little bit at 3B, and a lot at SS, so moving him to 3B might limit his defensive damage a little.

The idea of having Hanley at 1B scares the heck out of me. Having a good defensive 1B makes the rest of the infield better defensively. We see play after play where a 1B makes a great pick, saving his infielder an error and saving his team some runs. I don't have the confidence in Hanley to do that.

That said, that would mean moving Pablo to 1B. I don't know how good he would be at that position either, though I'm pretty sure he would be better than Hanley.Based on what... his superior girth that would make him a bigger target for the other infielders? The more guys you play out of position the more you weaken your defense. Let one guy learn a new position, not 2.

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 01:31 PM
How did the heart and soul help us in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014 or 2015?

Hard to measure the actual effect that he has on the team. But if I'm building a team around a certain type of player, I'm starting with him every time.

mvp 78
07-26-2015, 01:41 PM
I don't get this "underwhelming" statement at all. By what standards?

Because he's the most overrated Sox player ever. If he wasn't a "gritty" white guy, no one would care about him.

a700hitter
07-26-2015, 01:42 PM
Because he's the most overrated Sox player ever. If he wasn't a "gritty" white guy, no one would care about him."a 'gritty' white guy"? I thought he was Hispanic.

User Name?
07-26-2015, 02:05 PM
Pedroia is not one of the many problems this team has.

wyo-sox
07-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Pedroia is the heart and soul of this team. That might be cliche', but it has merit. IMO, he is worth more to our team than he would be worth to any other team in a trade.

Ok, but the heart and soul of a basement team is worth what? And let me be clear- I'm not saying we should trade Dustin, my position is that I would in a heart beat if it was a good deal for the future.

We can say stuff like a player is the heart and soul of a team... but we do not really have a clue... and even its true, if he is the heart and sole of a losing team....I would submit that's more of a reason to move him. I do know that nice run we had prior to the all star break was in the absence of Dustin.

mvp 78
07-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Ok, but the heart and soul of a basement team is worth what? And let me be clear- I'm not saying we should trade Dustin, my position is that I would in a heart beat if it was a good deal for the future.

We can say stuff like a player is the heart and soul of a team... but we do not really have a clue... and even its true, if he is the heart and sole of a losing team....I would submit that's more of a reason to move him. I do know that nice run we had prior to the all star break was in the absence of Dustin.

Greatest post ever.

wyo-sox
07-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Pedroia is not one of the many problems this team has.

Agree 100%; however, that should not be exclusive with being untouchable if he could yield a good trade. Not being a problem, is not the same as being a solution.

User Name?
07-26-2015, 02:21 PM
What I'm arguing for, is this team focusing on pitching. Both the rotation and BP are in shambles. The offense has a chance to bounce back all by itself. The Pitching needs help.

a700hitter
07-26-2015, 02:23 PM
When Ralph Kiner asked Branch Rickey, Rickey told him "[w]e finished last with you. I am pretty sure that we can finish without you." The same sentiment applies to Pedroia.

wyo-sox
07-26-2015, 02:26 PM
What I'm arguing for, is this team focusing on pitching. Both the rotation and BP are in shambles. The offense has a chance to bounce back all by itself. The Pitching needs help.

Couldn't agree with you more. And I agree so much I'd happily trade any infielder (maybe not X Bog) to help our pitching.

dupree
07-26-2015, 02:38 PM
I'd trade him in a heart beat and let him go to the Indians so he can suck on Tito's cock some more if they give us some young pitchers back. We have Betts and options in the minors to fill the void left by Pedoria. A World Series in the future isnt gonna be won by DP heart who is hurt more often than not, it's gonna be won by damn good pitching and we don't have that. I'd open the gate a let him go like we did Nomar.

a700hitter
07-26-2015, 02:40 PM
I'd trade him in a heart beat and let him go to the Indians so he can suck on Tito's cock some more if they give us some young pitchers back. We have Betts and options in the minors to fill the void left by Pedoria. A World Series in the future isnt gonna be won by DP heart who is hurt more often than not, it's gonna be won by damn good pitching and we don't have that. I'd open the gate a let him go like we did Nomar.He's not going to bring back a big time pitcher.

Spudboy
07-26-2015, 03:23 PM

This is all true. But making roster decisions based on emotion and sentiment is not a great way to operate.

I love what Pedroia has done for this team. But his best days are probably in the past. If they could manage to get anything useful for him they should do it.

They dumped Nomar and he was a God in this town.

Imagine if they could move Papi. That would make some decisions easier to make.

dupree
07-26-2015, 03:36 PM
Yes it would, but I think Papi picks up his player option and trys it one more season and if they finish last he will be done. It wouldn't surprise me if he announces in the offseason that 2016 will be his last and has a final year like Rivera had in his last. And just be done anyways. He will probably be the next Red Sox hitting coach anyways.

BigPapi
07-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Yes it would, but I think Papi picks up his player option and trys it one more season and if they finish last he will be done. It wouldn't surprise me if he announces in the offseason that 2016 will be his last and has a final year like Rivera had in his last. And just be done anyways. He will probably be the next Red Sox hitting coach anyways.

He did say last year that he doesn't want to be like jeter and announce his retirement right before the season he was going to retire, but I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his mind. Barring injury, he will probably be around five or so hrs away from 500 at the end of the season. I don't see him playing in 2017 unless he thinks the team has a great title shot.

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 09:39 PM

Every player is tradeable for the right price. Pedroia is no exception. I just don't see the Sox getting back what he is worth for the team. Also, I believe the team can contend next season with the right offseason moves. I don't see the point in creating another hole where there doesn't need to be one.

As far as the heart and soul business goes, no, we don't have a clue. As much as I love my stats, this is one of the intangible things that I truly believe in, despite us having no way of measuring its effect. I have no proof whatsoever, but I think any Red Sox team is better with him on it.

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Agree 100%; however, that should not be exclusive with being untouchable if he could yield a good trade. Not being a problem, is not the same as being a solution.

That is true, but I think Pedroia is part of the solution for next season.

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 09:41 PM

There is a reason why people call you The King.

Spudboy
07-26-2015, 09:46 PM
The outfield remains a mess.

No one is discussing this at all.

Kimmi
07-26-2015, 10:23 PM
The outfield remains a mess.

No one is discussing this at all.

I would like to see an outfield of JBJ, Betts, and Castillo, whom I think would be very good defensively. The question is whether they going to be strong enough offensively.

Spudboy
07-26-2015, 10:36 PM
I would like to see an outfield of JBJ, Betts, and Castillo, whom I think would be very good defensively. The question is whether they going to be strong enough offensively.

They need to shit or get off the pot with JBJ. He is mauling AAA.

Castillo is nowhere near MLB ready according to the experts that I have heard discuss him. He needs to remain in AAA to learn how to play baseball, one of them said.

As I said, the outfield is still a mess. Hanley did not change anything. He sucks at one phase of the game. Right field is still a black hole as well. Nothing has changed for the better since last year.

At least Betts continues to improve.

Spudboy
07-26-2015, 10:42 PM
The people who "projected" our outfield to be improved were dead wrong. Graig never did make the grade as was strongly suggested. Victorino was not healthy for most of the season and can't seem to go back to back now. Goldie Locks has sucked ass in left field. He has not even been the vaunted "Replacement Level". Castillo has been edging toward bust rather than being a frequent contributor. A 72 Mil rookie that can not stay on the field.

This is yet another of the Sox roster building failures.

To me, it's inexcusable.

a700hitter
07-26-2015, 10:49 PM
The people who "projected" our outfield to be improved were dead wrong. Graig never did make the grade as was strongly suggested. Victorino was not healthy for most of the season and can't seem to go back to back now. Goldie Locks has sucked ass in left field. He has not even been the vaunted "Replacement Level". Castillo has been edging toward bust rather than being a frequent contributor. A 72 Mil rookie that can not stay on the field.

To me, it's inexcusable.it is becoming pretty obvious that Ben is clueless.

Kimmi
07-27-2015, 06:46 AM

To me, it's inexcusable.

The people who projected more or less everything about our team were dead wrong. Practically the whole team and every move made have been failures. We get that. Now the task is to fix it. We're at the point where I would call up at least one of JBJ or Castillo, if not both, and let them play the season out as our every day outfielders. JBJ, Castillo, and Hanley should all work out at that players institute that Pedroia attends every offseason. It seems to have done wonders for Xander this year.

a700hitter
07-27-2015, 06:57 AM
The people who projected more or less everything about our team were dead wrong. Practically the whole team and every move made have been failures. We get that. Now the task is to fix it. We're at the point where I would call up at least one of JBJ or Castillo, if not both, and let them play the season out as our every day outfielders. JBJ, Castillo, and Hanley should all work out at that players institute that Pedroia attends every offseason. It seems to have done wonders for Xander this year.No, I wasn't wrong. Neither were many others. The FO was wrong. That is an accurate statement,

Dojji
07-27-2015, 07:19 AM

YMMV, but I actually think that the real problem is subtler than that. The positional defense as it stands right now is not very good. We try so hard on this team to get good hitters into every position that we sometimes forget that position players also need to play positions.

The heart got cut out of this team when the catching went down, but we've got holes and learning players all over the diamond defensively. That's not going to help the pitching.

Part of the solution is to improve the positional defense of the team. I have nothing against Bogaerts, but if I had the chance to move him to third and put a true top defender in short I'd do it right now. And I'd be looking to slot as many young players as I can into the positions they're projected to play the next time we're relevant.

Oh and I'd look into playing Hanley at first base, which solves 2 different problems for the team almost immediately.

User Name?
07-27-2015, 07:43 AM
The Hanley at 1st idea is great, moving Bogaerts is a terrible idea. The improvement he's shown in both aspects of the game is significant, and there's still room for growth.

cp176
07-27-2015, 08:53 AM
YMMV, but I actually think that the real problem is subtler than that. The positional defense as it stands right now is not very good. We try so hard on this team to get good hitters into every position that we sometimes forget that position players also need to play positions.

The heart got cut out of this team when the catching went down, but we've got holes and learning players all over the diamond defensively. That's not going to help the pitching.

Part of the solution is to improve the positional defense of the team. I have nothing against Bogaerts, but if I had the chance to move him to third and put a true top defender in short I'd do it right now. And I'd be looking to slot as many young players as I can into the positions they're projected to play the next time we're relevant.

Oh and I'd look into playing Hanley at first base, which solves 2 different problems for the team almost immediately.

I think that when you have a top defender at short, it is a good idea to leave him there. Sandoval+Ramirez- All the possible solutions still don't seem to make any sense. ramirez is dh who won't be dhing for a while. Sandoval at third and Ramirez at first might make our infield defense about as weak as it could get. same goes for Ramirez at third and sandoval at first. glad I don't have to solve those problems.

a700hitter
07-27-2015, 09:28 AM
I think that when you have a top defender at short, it is a good idea to leave him there. Sandoval+Ramirez- All the possible solutions still don't seem to make any sense. ramirez is dh who won't be dhing for a while. Sandoval at third and Ramirez at first might make our infield defense about as weak as it could get. same goes for Ramirez at third and sandoval at first. glad I don't have to solve those problems.If Napoli gets moved at the Trading Deadline, they can move Hanley to first base this season. If it doesn't work out, they will know whether they need to get a first baseman in the offseason. Playing 2 months at first in meaninless games would be a good crash course to teach him the position without sacrificing another season. If we wait until next season to move Panda and hanley around the infield, the results would likely be disastrous.

cp176
07-27-2015, 10:15 AM
If Napoli gets moved at the Trading Deadline, they can move Hanley to first base this season. If it doesn't work out, they will know whether they need to get a first baseman in the offseason. Playing 2 months at first in meaninless games would be a good crash course to teach him the position without sacrificing another season. If we wait until next season to move Panda and hanley around the infield, the results would likely be disastrous.

That makes sense. That is part of the problem though. That would be a common sense move and I'm not sure how high up on the old common sense scale our boys rate.

a700hitter
07-27-2015, 10:16 AM
That makes sense. That is part of the problem though. That would be a common sense move and I'm not sure how high up on the old common sense scale our boys rate.They' ll run the idea by Bill James first. LOL!!

Spudboy
07-27-2015, 11:05 AM
I think putting either Fatboy or Hanley at first will end in disaster. Neither has the mobility to cover that position. Throws would end up near the tarp every day.

I still say moving Swihart to 1st if Nap is dumped is worth investigating. He will not be a catcher for his entire career anyway if his offense is legit.

Get rid of Fatboy somehow and move Hanley to 3rd until he is DH.

Go with Vasquez and Hannigan behind the plate for 2016.

Obviously there are no guarantees that this would work out. Like everything else the dopes in the FO have tried.

Getting those two "big bats" and locking them up for 4-5 years was a real boob maneuver. It handcuffs the roster unless the Sox decide to eat large chunks of mullah.

a700hitter
07-27-2015, 11:17 AM
I think putting either Fatboy or Hanley at first will end in disaster. Neither has the mobility to cover that position. Throws would end up near the tarp every day.

I still say moving Swihart to 1st if Nap is dumped is worth investigating. He will not be a catcher for his entire career anyway if his offense is legit.

Obviously there are no guarantees that this would work out. Like everything else the dopes in the FO have tried.

Getting those two "big bats" and locking them up for 4-5 years was a real boob maneuver. It handcuffs the roster unless the Sox decide to eat large chunks of mullah.I would be on board with this strategy, but I would be shocked if they dump Panda.

By the way, at the rate that he is gaining weight, we may see Panda sporting a Mama Cass Muu Muu in September. Our marketing department would view it as an opportunity and sell the hell out of it.

cp176
07-27-2015, 11:18 AM

Getting those two "big bats" and locking them up for 4-5 years was a real boob maneuver. It handcuffs the roster unless the Sox decide to eat large chunks of mullah.

I think that it might come down to tying to find another place for the biggest boy. Japan, Cuba, Alaska?

Kimmi
07-27-2015, 12:04 PM
I think that when you have a top defender at short, it is a good idea to leave him there. Sandoval+Ramirez- All the possible solutions still don't seem to make any sense. ramirez is dh who won't be dhing for a while. Sandoval at third and Ramirez at first might make our infield defense about as weak as it could get. same goes for Ramirez at third and sandoval at first. glad I don't have to solve those problems.

Bogaerts has shown significant improvement and has done an admirable job at SS. He showed the willingness to work hard last offseason and it paid off. He should not be moved off of that position. He didn't do well last year when he was moved to 3rd. Don't mess with a good thing.

I really don't think Sandoval is going to continue being as bad defensively as he was this year. I understand that as he ages and with his weight, his range is not likely going to improve, but he is having a horrendous season defensively, which is uncharacteristic for him.

Kimmi
07-27-2015, 12:13 PM

This is a reasonable suggestion, outside of moving Panda which I don't think will happen, but trying Swihart at first base is something worth invesigating. If he works out there, it's a very inexpensive option, leaving more money for other areas of need, namely pitching.

I really like that Vazquez/Hanigan catching tandem, and Swihart could always catch in a pinch.

I know you disagree, but I think Panda will show improvement defensively next year. And with a year of experience under his belt and some more work at it, Hanley could even show some improvement in LF, at least to the point where he's not a liability.

Kimmi
07-27-2015, 12:22 PM
I think that it might come down to tying to find another place for the biggest boy. Japan, Cuba, Alaska?

You do have to question what is going on with the conditioning coaches. I know that the FO's plan was to let Panda be fat, and not require any kind of strict diet from him. However, there should be some degree of moderation to that. From what I've heard (speculation), there have been problems in the past with lack of conditioning. Beckett comes to mind.

I understand not wanting to force these guys to eat a diet of tofu and bean sprouts (not the worst thing in the world, BTW), but if Panda has indeed gained as much weight as what people are saying, then something needs to be done with the diet and conditioning program.

cp176
07-27-2015, 12:31 PM
You do have to question what is going on with the conditioning coaches. I know that the FO's plan was to let Panda be fat, and not require any kind of strict diet from him. However, there should be some degree of moderation to that. From what I've heard (speculation), there have been problems in the past with lack of conditioning. Beckett comes to mind.

I understand not wanting to force these guys to eat a diet of tofu and bean sprouts (not the worst thing in the world, BTW), but if Panda has indeed gained as much weight as what people are saying, then something needs to be done with the diet and conditioning program.

The majority of professional athletes take it as a matter of personal pride to work on their physical fitness. He doesn't seem to. that bothers me as much as anything. That's is not saying that he might be better than he is now. It is just troubling. A lot of money should lead to a little more in return.

a700hitter
07-27-2015, 12:33 PM

I understand not wanting to force these guys to eat a diet of tofu and bean sprouts (not the worst thing in the world, BTW), but if Panda has indeed gained as much weight as what people are saying, then something needs to be done with the diet and conditioning program.Do you think the coaching staff is holding him down and force feeding him nachos, pizza and beer. He is the only fat slob on the roster that I can see, so why wouldn't that be his fault? What about personal responsibility?

a700hitter
07-27-2015, 12:35 PM
The majority of professional athletes take it as a matter of personal pride to work on their physical fitness. He doesn't seem to. that bothers me as much as anything. That's is not saying that he might be better than he is now. It is just troubling. A lot of money should lead to a little more in return.It's the damn snack chip and soft drink commercials. They should be outlawed as they encourage obese professional athletes.;)

Spudboy
07-27-2015, 12:47 PM
I would be on board with this strategy, but I would be shocked if they dump Panda.

By the way, at the rate that he is gaining weight, we may see Panda sporting a Mama Cass Muu Muu in September. Our marketing department would view it as an opportunity and sell the hell out of it.

At least Cass Elliot could sing really, really well. This lump of lard is not good at anything right now and is not likely to improve. Unfortunately, as you have said, it is not likely that fatso gets moved this year.

User Name?
07-27-2015, 12:47 PM

Hanley doesn't have the mobility to play 1B? He was a below-average SS and competent 3B just a season ago. I get that you don't like Hanley, but come on.

a700hitter
07-27-2015, 12:48 PM
At least Cass Elliot could sing really, really well. This lump of lard is not good at anything right now and is not likely to improve. Unfortunately, as you have said, it is not likely that fatso gets moved this year.LOL!! We really don't know whether or not he is a good singer. It is a safe bet that he isn't a very good dancer.

Kimmi
07-27-2015, 12:50 PM
The majority of professional athletes take it as a matter of personal pride to work on their physical fitness. He doesn't seem to. that bothers me as much as anything. That's is not saying that he might be better than he is now. It is just troubling. A lot of money should lead to a little more in return.

I wholeheartedly agree. It should be on the players to be able to exhibit some self-control and discipline. Pablo apparently does not have such self-control. Hence, the reason why he is big to begin with. Are the conditioning coaches working with him, or just letting him do what he pleases?

Spudboy
07-27-2015, 12:55 PM
This is a reasonable suggestion, outside of moving Panda which I don't think will happen, but trying Swihart at first base is something worth invesigating. If he works out there, it's a very inexpensive option, leaving more money for other areas of need, namely pitching.

I really like that Vazquez/Hanigan catching tandem, and Swihart could always catch in a pinch.

I know you disagree, but I think Panda will show improvement defensively next year. And with a year of experience under his belt and some more work at it, Hanley could even show some improvement in LF, at least to the point where he's not a liability.

Obviously Swihart is nowhere near a finished product AT the plate. He was brought up too soon because of need. Ideally he could return to AAA for some further work on his hitting. But now I am willing to concede that he will flail sometimes at the plate while with the big boys. Might as well keep him up here to learn how to hit real MLB pitching. His game behind the plate is obviously nowhere near as advanced as many here believed it to be. The kid was an infielder and he is very athletic. I say bite the bullet and put him at 1st. He should be able to play reasonably well. Brock Holt did it. Is Holt a better athlete?

Fatboy is not likely to be moved, sadly.

Kimmi
07-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Hanley doesn't have the mobility to play 1B? He was a below-average SS and competent 3B just a season ago. I get that you don't like Hanley, but come on.

With Hanley, I almost think it's more mental than anything else. He looks so lackadaisical out there sometimes, which gives off the impression that he doesn't care or that he doesn't try hard, but I really sometimes think that he's just a flake. He would probably have the physical ability to play first. I'm not sure that he would have the mental ability. Either way, that idea scares me.

User Name?
07-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Adrian Gonzalez said it best: He's a natural infielder.

Behindenemylines
07-31-2015, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=Spudboy;965597]Obviously Swihart is nowhere near a finished product AT the plate. He was brought up too soon because of need. Ideally he could return to AAA for some further work on his hitting. But now I am willing to concede that he will flail sometimes at the plate while with the big boys. Might as well keep him up here to learn how to hit real MLB pitching. His game behind the plate is obviously nowhere near as advanced as many here believed it to be. The kid was an infielder and he is very athletic. I say bite the bullet and put him at 1st. He should be able to play reasonably well. Brock Holt did it. Is Holt a better athlete?

Play HanRam at first the rest of the season to see if he can. LF isn't working, and we know about DH.

mvp 78
07-31-2015, 01:25 PM
A lot of Swihart's value is having his offensive ceiling at a normally weak offensive position like C. I would rather him rotate 1b and C rather than him play 1b fulltime.

Spudboy
07-31-2015, 02:43 PM
A lot of Swihart's value is having his offensive ceiling at a normally weak offensive position like C. I would rather him rotate 1b and C rather than him play 1b fulltime.

I understand all that "conventional wisdom" and all the conservatism that goes with it.

However, as desirable a hitting catcher may be, a lighter hitting catcher can be covered in a strong lineup. I think that Vasquez should be able to hit about .240 or above and I think that should be good enough when coupled with his clearly superior defensive skills. The ones that Swihard needs much move development on.

I also see that Swihart has lots of potential for big time offensive numbers. We have no 1st baseman going forward. Move him now and save his body and his brain from the damage that will be done while catching.

My idea is not what I would call a no brainer. It's just an idea that has a good chance of being good.

sk7326
07-31-2015, 03:00 PM

Plus that he should be good defensively too - an actual fast guy and whatnot. Rotating makes sense to get his bat in the lineup an extra 15-20 starts ... but he seems to be a legit C. Good problem to have for sure.

BigPapi
07-31-2015, 03:09 PM
I understand all that "conventional wisdom" and all the conservatism that goes with it.

However, as desirable a hitting catcher may be, a lighter hitting catcher can be covered in a strong lineup. I think that Vasquez should be able to hit about .240 or above and I think that should be good enough when coupled with his clearly superior defensive skills. The ones that Swihard needs much move development on.

I also see that Swihart has lots of potential for big time offensive numbers. We have no 1st baseman going forward. Move him now and save his body and his brain from the damage that will be done while catching.

My idea is not what I would call a no brainer. It's just an idea that has a good chance of being good.

Vasquez should be the catcher. Blake's offense is overrated. I'm not saying that based on his mlb numbers this year because he never should have been up here this year. Just look at his prior minor league numbers. His was solid in the minors with an .840 ops his best year, but never dominated like a Kris Bryant or Joey Gallo or Kyle Schwarber. We have heard the buster posey comparisons, but Buster was a much more dominant hitter in the minors. I think blake can be a good hitter for a catcher, but that doesn't say much. If the sox could have gotten a good return for him, I would have traded him.

Behindenemylines
07-31-2015, 03:21 PM

You do that and how does that effect a young catcher and his working with a shakey staff?

mvp 78
07-31-2015, 03:25 PM
It worked out ok for Buster Posey.

BigPapi
07-31-2015, 03:27 PM
It worked out ok for Buster Posey.

I would have no problem putting blake at first, but his value goes down since he's not a masher.

Spudboy
07-31-2015, 03:46 PM
There is no legitimate reason to compare Swihart with Posey. One look at their numbers and career paths tells you that.

mvp 78
07-31-2015, 05:35 PM
There is no legitimate reason to compare Swihart with Posey. One look at their numbers and career paths tells you that.

I'm all ears...

Spudboy
07-31-2015, 05:42 PM
I'm all ears...

My point is that the comparisons are not close to valid.

I have not looked at their numbers in a while but I seem to remember that Posey came into pro ball and absolutely raked in two levels in about one year and was brought up.

That guy was much more of a finished product ( at least offensively ).

Swihart is younger with much less experience, I believe from what I can recall.

His athleticism is enticing. But he was brought up out of drastic need. Not because he was anywhere near ready to be a full time catcher.

Comparing him to Posey just created hype. Hype that has yet to be fulfilled.

mvp 78
07-31-2015, 06:12 PM
All I was saying was that splitting time at 1b and C was a viable option, not that Swihart is Posey 2.0.

cp176
07-31-2015, 06:15 PM
I really think that if he is not going to catch, he should be traded. Doesn't look like he is going to be a big power guy anytime soon. He would be a small upgrade at first base over Portland's Sam Travis. He would be worth much more as a potential trade candidate.

Spudboy
07-31-2015, 06:15 PM
All I was saying was that splitting time at 1b and C was a viable option, not that Swihart is Posey 2.0.

Oh. I'm down with that too.

Spudboy
07-31-2015, 06:18 PM
I really think that if he is not going to catch, he should be traded. Doesn't look like he is going to be a big power guy anytime soon. He would be a small upgrade at first base over Portland's Sam Travis. He would be worth much more as a potential trade candidate.

Kind of early to give up on any aspect of his game. He is not exactly Boog Powell, I get it.

Still, with his speed and apparent skills at the plate he could become another Manny Sanguillian.

Or just a catcher that can hit.

sk7326
07-31-2015, 09:17 PM
Vasquez should be the catcher. Blake's offense is overrated. I'm not saying that based on his mlb numbers this year because he never should have been up here this year. Just look at his prior minor league numbers. His was solid in the minors with an .840 ops his best year, but never dominated like a Kris Bryant or Joey Gallo or Kyle Schwarber. We have heard the buster posey comparisons, but Buster was a much more dominant hitter in the minors. I think blake can be a good hitter for a catcher, but that doesn't say much. If the sox could have gotten a good return for him, I would have traded him.

He's 23. Posey is a better player - he is better than just about every catcher. And Swihart is not going to have as big a bat as elite corner infield prospects, wonderful. He was overpromoted, but the ceiling is obvious. Vasquez is going to play for a long time in the league - only question is whether he will be a good starter or an elite backup.

Spudboy
08-01-2015, 12:28 AM
I love how some people on this board are so certain about what they say.

cp176
08-01-2015, 04:09 AM
Kind of early to give up on any aspect of his game. He is not exactly Boog Powell, I get it.

Still, with his speed and apparent skills at the plate he could become another Manny Sanguillian.

Or just a catcher that can hit.

True

Kimmi
08-01-2015, 09:05 AM
I love how some people on this board are so certain about what they say.

I think pretty much everyone on this board is so certain about what they say most of the time, you and me included. We all have strong opinions. There's nothing wrong with that. You just need to be able to back up your opinions with a credible argument if someone calls you on them, and I think that most people here do that, even when I disagree with them.

Behindenemylines
08-05-2015, 10:15 AM
As important as offense is to have in your catcher, it will be even more important that they effectively work with the revised 2016 pitching staff. I think you keep building for 2016 with Swihart catching as much as possible. No one knows when Vazquez will be ready. Who ever the Sox put at catcher for 2016 needs to be working from Day 1 in spring training. Swihart is learning on the job and his final numbers this year should not reflect what his numbers will be moving forward.

Kimmi
08-06-2015, 08:30 AM
As important as offense is to have in your catcher, it will be even more important that they effectively work with the revised 2016 pitching staff. I think you keep building for 2016 with Swihart catching as much as possible. No one knows when Vazquez will be ready. Who ever the Sox put at catcher for 2016 needs to be working from Day 1 in spring training. Swihart is learning on the job and his final numbers this year should not reflect what his numbers will be moving forward.

To me, offense from a catcher is of little importance, provided that the rest of the line up is hitting. Swihart should definitely get the majority of the catching time so that he can continue to develop his skills behind the plate.

Having said that, if Vazquez is healthy, this is the exact reason why I prefer him behind the plate.

Behindenemylines
08-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Pedroia's durability is starting to become an issue. I love the guy and the way he plays the game, but he is having a hard time staying on the field. That may be because of the way he plays.

sk7326
08-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Pedroia's durability is starting to become an issue. I love the guy and the way he plays the game, but he is having a hard time staying on the field. That may be because of the way he plays.

Perhaps - although I suspect the injury might have miraculously healed if the standings were different.