PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek vs Star Wars

Northern Star
12-18-2015, 08:29 PM
Star Trek (original series) and even TNG is so far superior to Star Wars. Star Wars pretends to weighty themes but the storytelling is lightweight and childish.

Spudboy
12-18-2015, 09:19 PM
My sixth grade class wrote to NBC (I believe it was NBC) and requested that Star Trek not be cancelled.

Star Trek all the way baby.

Warf is my standard of manhood.

Youk Of The Nation
12-19-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm fairly certain we all know where I stand on this issue.

Also, Spud, it's "Worf" and objectively, he's a pretty terrible person. I would suggest that a better standard for manhood would be Picard. A perfect balance of tough and sensitive, willing and able to fight when necessary but not prone to violence or temper. Intelligent, civilized, educated, accomplished and revered without arrogance. Sisko is also much the same, with the added benefit of being a superb military leader and a loving, respectable parent. They both have their flaws, of course, but those are nothing compared to Worf.

VA Sox Fan
12-24-2015, 12:01 PM
Star Wars for me!! All the way, no doubt!!

Youk Of The Nation
12-24-2015, 02:45 PM
Star Wars for me!! All the way, no doubt!!

You're playing a dangerous game.

Bellhorn04
12-24-2015, 03:43 PM
Star Trek (original series) and even TNG is so far superior to Star Wars. Star Wars pretends to weighty themes but the storytelling is lightweight and childish.

Star Wars is definitely aimed more at kids, and leans a lot harder on megabucks special effects.

Personally I'm a 2001: A Space Odyssey/Alien guy.

mvp 78
12-24-2015, 05:43 PM
TNG is fantastic (including the TNG movies). Everything else from Star Trek is underwhelming.

Spudboy
12-24-2015, 06:01 PM
TNG is fantastic (including the TNG movies). Everything else from Star Trek is underwhelming.

If you were around in the '60s you might feel different about this. Star Trek was cool then. It was very new and appealing to all that were fascinated by the idea of space and science fiction. A Huge upgrade to Lost In Space.

Although I wanted to pork Penny when I was a kid.

Youk Of The Nation
12-24-2015, 06:36 PM

In terms of character development, plot, and acting, Deep Space Nine is measurably superior to any of the other Trek series, in my opinion. Though TNG is not far behind it. As far as the TNG movies, First Contact was the only excellent one. Generations was enjoyable but (to use your word) underwhelming, and a very poorly executed on-screen end to one of Starfleet's finest captains. Insurrection was a TNG episode stretched out too long into a movie, and Nemesis was total and absolute garbage. It was the Star Trek V of the TNG films.

User Name?
12-25-2015, 02:03 AM
They both fucking suck, IMHO. And I'm willing to engage in unarmed combat against anyone who doesn't like the fact that I speak the truth.

Bellhorn04
12-25-2015, 08:46 AM
They both fucking suck, IMHO. And I'm willing to engage in unarmed combat against anyone who doesn't like the fact that I speak the truth.

This would pretty much make you the seabeachfred of family sci-fi entertainment.

And forget about the unarmed combat. I'm a peaceful old guy with a family. :D

RedSoxfanforlife305
12-25-2015, 10:26 AM

Was coming in here to say the same thing.

User Name?
12-25-2015, 11:38 AM
This would pretty much make you the seabeachfred of family sci-fi entertainment.

And forget about the unarmed combat. I'm a peaceful old guy with a family. :D

It' YOTN I'm aiming for. You're like, one of my favorite people here, so why would I punch you?

mvp 78
12-25-2015, 11:41 AM
UN just hasn't seen either. He's confusing them with Estrella Perro shown on Univision.

User Name?
12-25-2015, 12:25 PM
That doesn't even play on Univision! Also, they both suck in either English or Spanish. The one saving grace for Star Trek is Picard, and even so.

Youk Of The Nation
12-25-2015, 12:56 PM
I don't believe for a second that you have watched enough of every Star Trek series for that opinion to be of value. Watch DS9, all of it, or at least seasons 4-7, and then say with a straight face that it sucks.

User Name?
12-25-2015, 01:15 PM
I don't believe for a second that you have watched enough of every Star Trek series for that opinion to be of value. Watch DS9, all of it, or at least seasons 4-7, and then say with a straight face that it sucks.

You know what? I'm on vacation until the middle of January. I will take you up on that. If I hate it, unarmed combat it is. Deal?

Youk Of The Nation
12-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Deal. There are a couple stand-alone episodes that don't contribute to the overall plot throughout the series, and a couple that are individually bad. If you want, I can make a list of what to watch so you can skip some without being confused as to what is going on, and not have to watch all 170 episodes.

User Name?
12-25-2015, 03:26 PM
I'd actually welcome that. Between the time sink that is Witcher 3, and all the shit I have going on as soon a 2016 hits, that would help me make some headway. Do get a head start on your boxing and MMA please.

Northern Star
12-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Star Trek's original series has its charm, but also its gay subtext ("Get us off, Spock!") and fair share of execrable dialogue.

Northern Star
12-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Fight of the Century (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK0cUNMnMM)

Northern Star
01-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Youk's going to go postal (https://www.yahoo.com/tv/postal-releasing-star-trek-stamps-171919106.html)

Youk Of The Nation
01-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Wow, I am amazed that they are still making stamps.

Bellhorn04
01-01-2016, 07:03 PM

On that same note, I was watching a standup comic last night and he was asking why the fuck they are still cranking out those giant paper phone books by the shitload.

Northern Star
01-01-2016, 07:25 PM

Yeah, they've got uniforms and everything.

Youk Of The Nation
01-01-2016, 08:25 PM
On that same note, I was watching a standup comic last night and he was asking why the fuck they are still cranking out those giant paper phone books by the shitload.

It's the paper cartels, man. They control everything.

Kimmi
01-02-2016, 10:37 AM

They deliver one of those phone books to my house every year. It goes straight from the driveway to the recycling bin. I feel guilty about it, but seriously, I'm never going to use it.

Northern Star
01-02-2016, 08:49 PM
They deliver one of those phone books to my house every year. It goes straight from the driveway to the recycling bin. I feel guilty about it, but seriously, I'm never going to use it.

Can't you opt out somewhere?

Kimmi
01-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Can't you opt out somewhere?

That's a possibiity. I'll have to look into it.

TylerD
01-18-2016, 11:58 PM
Not the biggest fan of either of them but if I had to choose would be Star Trek for sure. I at least didn't mind the show. Never could get into Star Wars for some reason.

Northern Star
09-24-2017, 06:51 PM
So some Star Wars fanboys are signing a petition to demand that JJ Abrams gets fired from The Last Jedi. LMAO.

SaleplusKimbrel59
05-09-2018, 12:36 PM
Been watching a lot of Star Trek TNG with my friend over the past months, I believe we only have the rest of season 5 and then seasons 6 and 7 left, I have become a big fan.