PDA

View Full Version : Before The Situation Gets Out Of Hand..

Bonds*
11-28-2004, 06:23 PM
The trade council is not in place to get rid of unbalanced trades and prevent team stacking. The council is here to prevent bad gms from getting into the league, destroying a team and leaving, whether it be out of leisure, or because they were recruited by a friend. Quite frankly, I could care less if Noah trades Mark Prior for Roger Cedeno, I know he has his reasons and I know he's not going to bail on us because his team sucks. Same goes for most of the other users around here. What I am worried about is a guy coming in, trading everything away for high priced and less talented stuff and leaving never having the intention of playing or having a good time here. For the most part, you can spot these people in the deals they make. While a specific deal may be ugly, 99% of ugly deals are not vetoable. After a GM makes one or two deals like this, you start to see that he is either 1) 'inexperienced' or 2) doesn't really have a direction for his team. Perfect example, the new Cubs GM. Sheffield for Pujols is not truly a vetoable trade, but what the hell is their reasoning behind it? If it were a different user like yagmaster or youkilis rules trading away Pujols, then I know they obviously have some sort of reason for doing this, but seeing as it's the same guy whom we say trade Francisco Cordero for Mike Lamb, I have to question his motive. Moreover, if a GM is to be ousted, all pending deals should be ousted with him. Obviously if he's been booted or about to be booted, he shouldn't be making decisions for his team for one reason or another. Like we've done in the past for the Brewers in the old league and the Royals in this league, the pending deals should be accepted or declined by the new GM. All of this is still up for discussion and no final decision has been reached.

More importantly, it sucks that youkilis rules always seems to end up in the middle of the shit pile whenever another decision is to be made in our league, and I want to make it up to him in Budget Room or Draft Choices in our upcoming amateur draft.

youkilis rules
11-28-2004, 06:28 PM
I appreciate the well thought out reasoning in this argument. However, I was under the impression that the main goal of the council was to veto VERY UGLY trades. If a particular person has a bunch of these, then they should be voted upon and booted. If a good GM trades Prior for Cedeno I think this ultimately should be vetoed (unless the good reasons are EXPLAINED to the council). While I do think cubs should be booted, I think his trades should be treated as all trades: if they are unfair, veto them, if they are fair (read: sheffield for pujols) let them through. I don't see why booting a particular GM should mean overturning their fair trades that a lot of time has been spent on to consumate.

mannyformvp04
11-28-2004, 06:37 PM
why did my trade of brown gonzo long and loewen for pedro and sheff not even posted. You said if a good gm traded prior for cedeno it wouldnt be vetoed and the trade i made was much more even than prior for cedeno and the texas gm and i are very good gms

Bonds*
11-28-2004, 06:39 PM
However, I was under the impression that the main goal of the council was to veto VERY UGLY trades.
Very ugly deals would be the only kind of deal that would be vetoed. Can you really argue against a guy getting a star in return? Of course not.

If a particular person has a bunch of these, then they should be voted upon and booted. If a good GM trades Prior for Cedeno I think this ultimately should be vetoed (unless the good reasons are EXPLAINED to the council).
I was exaggerating with the Cedeno example :P.

I don't see why booting a particular GM should mean overturning their fair trades that a lot of time has been spent on to consumate.
I don't see why booting a particular GM should mean overturning their fair trades that a lot of time has been spent on to consumate.
No trade is fair. Not a trade in this league or in the Major Leagues. What makes a deal fair is each team's reasoning behind it. Every GM in baseball thinks they're getting a good deal on every trade, the Devil Rays think they pulled one over on the Mets with Kazmir, and the Mets think they got a good deal with Zambrano. What makes the deal work is their differing opinions. If a team would have claimed Manny Ramirez last year and gotten him for nothing, would that have been a fair deal? Of course not, Manny for nothing is not a fair deal until you look at the 'Sox motivation behind it (money). When somebody makes a suspect trade, I usually just pass it while thinking "wow, idiot". Pujols for Sheffield fits into this category. Then I look at the next post and it says Mike Hampton for Jae Seo. Then I look into the 1.0 archive and find that he was the old LA GM. When somebody makes a string of these kinds of deals, their motivation is brought into question. Deals that would have been fine individually are brought down together and because of eachother.

Bonds*
11-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by mannyformvp04@Nov 28 2004, 06:37 PM
why did my trade of brown gonzo long and loewen for pedro and sheff not even posted. You said if a good gm traded prior for cedeno it wouldnt be vetoed and the trade i made was much more even than prior for cedeno and the texas gm and i are very good gms
Like I said, exaggeration on the Cedeno thing.

As for the 'not being posted' portion, it's because the e-mail system SUCKED. If it was passed it was posted, if it was vetoed it was posted. The E-mail thing just wasn't working period.

mannyformvp04
11-28-2004, 06:51 PM
why was my trade vetoed? It was pretty fair

yeszir
11-28-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by mannyformvp04@Nov 28 2004, 06:51 PM
I think you failed to read what he just typed.

Bonds*
11-28-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by yeszir+Nov 28 2004, 06:53 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yeszir @ Nov 28 2004, 06:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mannyformvp04@Nov 28 2004, 06:51 PM
I think you failed to read what he just typed. [/b][/quote]
:lol:

ang2124
11-29-2004, 12:09 AM
i really do enjoy the though of the trade council it gives equal compensaion for every1 and a fair judge of the votes

i couldnt be happier