PDA

View Full Version : Boston Marathon

altyfc
04-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Has anyone here ever run the Boston Marathon?

What time do you need to have run to qualify these days?

Aaron

yeszir
04-25-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm usually a spectator, but this year I wasnt here to see it. :( I dont think there's any time limitations to run it. People finish in just over two hours and some people take the entire day. Its an accomplishment just getting through it.

altyfc
04-26-2004, 03:27 AM
I seem to remember being told that I had to have run a certain time in a marathon in order to qualify for Boston. Maybe that's just a thing for overseas entrants?

I've done, London, New York and Seattle marathons but alas, I don't think I ever did them fast enough to be allowed in for Boston. Must check on that...

Aaron

yawkeyway
04-27-2004, 03:14 PM
I've known people who have run it and watched them suffer from various points along the race. It looks waaaaaay too gruelling for me. Why anyone would want to do that is beyond me. If you want to stay in shape, good, run along the carriage lane in shorter increments. You'll stay healthy and you won't need an IV and a wheelchair at the end.

While I guess it is cool to say you run the Boston Marathon, it doesnt seem worth it to me.

peskypole
04-27-2004, 08:20 PM
I could never do anything like that. It's way too far to run and it's got to get way too boring. Running for 2, 3, 4, even 5 hours would get old very fast.

Sinix
05-08-2004, 08:35 PM
I know at least two teachers from my school who ran it. I have no idea how long they ran it in, but they're both quite athletic. As for a qualifying time, it's a little over 3 hours for most age groups (obviously longer for older people). Here is a full chart: http://www.bostonmarathon.org/BostonMarathon/Qualifying.asp

GreenMonsterSeats
07-28-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by altyfc@Apr 26 2004, 03:27 AM
I seem to remember being told that I had to have run a certain time in a marathon in order to qualify for Boston. Maybe that's just a thing for overseas entrants?

I've done, London, New York and Seattle marathons but alas, I don't think I ever did them fast enough to be allowed in for Boston. Must check on that...

Aaron
You can run for a charity organization who applies for so many entrants and they'll get you a number. Of course you have to do your part and fund raise, but it's worth being able to run Boston.

All the drunk college kids and families along the 26.2 miles, heartbreak hill, the Wellesley, BC, and BU girls cheering you on....gotta love Beantown on Patriots day.