PDA

View Full Version : Garciaparra/cubs Agree To 1-year Deal

Sox fan in Tex
12-07-2004, 05:31 PM
They had till midnight to get it done and I just saw it on ESPNEWS that it finally happened.

yeszir
12-07-2004, 05:36 PM
This is exactly what I expected. Nomar, after completely tanking the past few seasons, needs a one year contract to prove himself not only to the cubs, but to other teams. If he does well, good for him, he deserves it, especially after all the crap he's gotten flung at him from Boston. He'll then be able to sign a more lucrative contract (I assume this one wasnt for very much, let alone the ridiculous sum he wanted way back when), and he can get his career back on track.

Unlike most, I harbor no ill feelings toward Nomar. Hell, according to one stupid twelve year old, I introduced him to Mia Hamm!

yeszir
12-07-2004, 06:57 PM
The contract was for 8 million dollars I just saw. A far cry from what he could have had with the sox.

sarasoxfan
12-07-2004, 07:51 PM
didnt he turn down 60 million with the sox..???

It's amazing how far the mighty have fallen. He has one kick ass year though and he'll be back in the hunt for mega bucks.

I guess I dont blame him for signing a one year deal, but it is so obviously self-serving, but that is Nomar..

I dont know about the crap part he was as done with boston as boston was with him. Some of his behavoir was pretty shitty, but as with any marriage gone astrayu there are two sides. Anyway, I guess I wish him well and also Todd walker who I gather will be his second baseman again,.

elsrbueno
12-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Nomar Garciaparra has signed a 1 year, $8 million contract with the Cubs.

Discuss

sarasoxfan
12-08-2004, 12:29 PM
I guess his only move, but being the bitter angry fan that I am...my first repsonse is that it is just so typically self-serving and so blatantly an attempt to get bigger bucks later.

I guesss the cubs know what they are getting.

It would be funny if he had a shitty year and then had tio sign another year contract for less!

so bitter..where's the love??

elsrbueno
12-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Indeed.

Where is the love?

Nomar's not entirely at fault in the whole Red Sox/Nomar/A-Rod scandal, the Red Sox DID treat him like crap in the process. They had serious balls offering him a LOWER contract after he turned down 5 years, $60 million (or whatever the offer was).

Nomar was a great player in Boston, and a team icon for 6 years. He didn't deserve to be dragged through the mud, but he should have accepted the first fair contract.

I believe Nomar was fed up with the Boston media (as a lot of players are), and was ready to leave town anyway. It's a shame things had to end the way they did.

There's no doubt Nomar signed this contract to try to increase his value, and the Cubs are hoping to be able to benefit by getting an All-Star caliber shortstop for less money, considering Renteria should get $8-$10 mil, and Cabrera's looking for $8 mil too I believe.

If Nomar can return to form, the Cubs got a bargain. If he can't, they only risked 1 year on him. Overall, I say this is what's best for both sides at this point.

yeszir
12-08-2004, 05:07 PM
I'm just merging the existing threads, don't mind me....

yeszir
12-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by sarasoxfan@Dec 8 2004, 12:29 PM
I guess his only move, but being the bitter angry fan that I am...my first repsonse is that it is just so typically self-serving and so blatantly an attempt to get bigger bucks later.
I wouldn't call it self serving at all. I'm typically pissed at money-grubbing players as well, but I dont consider this money grubbing. I consider it a good idea on Nomar's part. He needs to prove himself, and prove to teams that he is worth the money he got in the past. You can't expect a player to sign for 5 mil just because..... it's unreasonable.

BoSox Rule
12-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Wait, is Nomar getting BASHED for signing a one-year deal?

Who in their right mind would've signed him to a multi-year deal given his Achilles problem?

Come on.