PDA

View Full Version : Burks on DL, to have surgery

CalvnHobs6
04-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Burks goes on DL, set for surgery

April 26, 2004
BOSTON (AP) -- Red Sox designated hitter Ellis Burks was placed on the 15-day disabled list Monday and will have surgery to repair torn cartilage in his left knee.

Burks has played nine games this season, hitting .133 with one home run and one RBI. He'll undergo surgery Tuesday and it's not certain how long he will be sidelined.

The 18-year veteran signed a one-year, $750,000 contract in February.

Burks played six seasons in Boston after the team chose him with their first pick in the 1983 draft. He was an All-Star and Gold Glove outfielder in 1990, and left as a free agent after the 1992 season.

Burks then played with the Chicago White Sox, Colorado, San Francisco and Cleveland.

He hasn't been great this year, but I like the guy anyway. Hopefully he'll be back to play a few more games.

yeszir
04-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Burks may have had his last at bat. He's old and was only filling in because of injuries. By the time he's back Trot and Nomar will be too, and he'll have no reason to play. I hope to see him one more time, but I doubt it.

TheFens
04-27-2004, 01:40 PM
I can still see him pinch hitting now and then, maybe DHing to give someone a rest somewhere. I'm not sure how long he'll be out though. If its a long time, then he may not play again. :(