PDA

View Full Version : Intro

Coach Wile
04-28-2004, 05:05 PM
I am a new member to this website. My name is Coach Al Wile at the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I just found this site and hope to me an active member from way out West. I have been a Red Sox fan for 56 years and have never seen a Red Sox game. My dad from PA brought me up as a Red Sox fan and my four kids have the same blood in them. I have been stationed all over the world but never on the East Coast . Since the days of Williams, Piersall, Scott, Tiant, Monbouquette, Schwall, Radatz, Runnels, Malzone, Conigliaro's, Yaz, Fisk, Should I say Rocket I have dreamed of getting to Fenway park and the most historic city in the United States. This year my wife has promised me, for our anniversary, that we will be in Fenway Park in late August for the series with Detroit. My wife is a Detroit fan. A life-time dream will come true. Hopefully I'll meet some of you on this site and then drink a Heineken with you at the ballpark.

I will get to see the Red Sox for the first time in my life when they come to Colorado in mid-June for the first time. We plan to be at all three games which will sell-outs.

I am currently a combatives instructor (boxing, unarmed combat, wrestling, judo, women's self defense) here at the Air Force Academy. Our boxing team has won the National Collegiate Boxing Championships 19 of the past 25 years. I have the greatest job in the world.

Looking forward to learning a little about Boston on this website. Thanks for the opportunity

yeszir
04-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Wow. Welcome to the site, first and foremost Coach Wile. It is truly a pleasure to have you here. I am glad that you find the site and that you enjoy it so far.

And although I feel for you since you have never seen the sox play live, I am extremely happy that you will finally get your chance. (more than one I see!). Red Sox fans really come from all around the country (and the globe too!), I think more so than for any other team.

Once again, welcome to the site. I look forward to having discussions with you. But as for your wife, you need to convert her to Red Sox fandom!

TheFens
04-28-2004, 05:21 PM
19 of the past 25 years is impressive! That does indeed sound like a very cool job to have, and I'm sure its a great way to stay fit as well. It sure beats the stairmaster I bet.

Anyway, as yeszir said, welcome to the site. I bet there aren't too many sox fans in Colorado, but the series later on in the year over there is certainly exciting. I'd like to see Manny hit it a mile in that Colorado air. Welcome to the site, enjoy yourself here.

yagmaster
04-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Great to have you on board. I look forward in talking with you, and I echo yeszir and thefens in saying "Welcome to TalkSox.com!"

dirtdogman5
04-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Wow I feel insignifigant now. :D Very nice to see some more Sox fans outside of New England (like myself). You seem like a very intellgent poster and I hope you have fun talking some Red Sox baseball here.

Benny9Sox7
05-03-2004, 01:32 PM
welcome to the site.... It's amazing that you will be seeing your first sox game ever and you'll never ever in your life forget the first time you step into Fenway and see the field, i know that i havent forgotten.... its completely breathtaking

Zenny
05-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Well, sir, I salute you and your service to this great country of ours. Welcome to the site.

So you say you want to learn about Boston? It starts with the accent and the slang. First, you need to replace "very" with "wicked". For example, you could say to your students, "That was a wicked good kick." All "r's" will also have to be replaced by "ah's". For example, "He hit the ball fah (instead of far)." Now, combine the two and you get, "Nomah hit tha ball wicked fah." Red "Sox" now has to be said "Sawx".

You also need to sample real seafood, particularly clam chowder. On your trip to Boston, you have to stop at a Legal Seafood at least once; I reccomend making a date out of it. There are at least a half dozen locations in the Boston area and it's by far the best seafood I've ever sampled. No more Rocky Mountain Oysters for you; you need to try some real oysters.

Now, you need to get an Irish friend with the last name Sullivan. Everyone has a buddy, or is named, Sully. It's unavoidable. Hell, I know three Sully's and I'm dating one of them (I can't call her Sully, though, she'll kick my ass).

Off the top of my head, that's all that I can think of. If you've got any questions about being a Bostonian, most of us here would be glad to help. Again, welcome.

TheFens
05-03-2004, 04:45 PM
I prefer Jasper White's summer shack for seafood if you want to go all out and spend an entire week's worth of pay. Its what I do, but the lobster is worth it!