PDA

View Full Version : Best Red Sox team yet?

roary
04-29-2004, 06:47 PM
Last year's team was undoubtedbly one of the best Sox hitting teams of all time, but we had some weaknesses (namely the bullpen/closer thing and some starting rotation weakness).

But this year's team is well rounded and complete. I really see no holes whatsoever, and thats WITHOUT nomar and Trot. So the question I have is: Is this the best Red Sox team ever?

I know it's early in the season, and I may be jumping the gun and jinxing the whole thing (if you're superstiscious like that). I think it may well be. This is a world series caliber team, especially with the pitching that we have. I can't think of any trade deadline moves that we'd need to make, but thats a long ways off and another topic altogether.

TheFens
04-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Give me a few more weeks and I'll tell you. They're well rounded, thats for sure. As you said, they have no real weaknesses at all. Not even defense, with Pokey turning at least one great double play every game and people diving left and right.

All I'll say for now is: It's a great season to be a Red Sox fan.

67Bleachers
04-30-2004, 07:14 AM
To answer your question, I will need to get into my time machine first, (courtesy H.G. Wells), and go to a few games in 1918.

(IMHO) Whenever one measures a team for its greatness, you never get a definitive answer because stats can be expressed any way you want.

In addition, the more subjective areas of sportsmanship, leadership, teamwork, unselfishness, chemistry, etc. cannot be measured except against one's own personal standards for sport.

Anyway, I liked your question. Let's hope that this year's team will be the subject and winner of your and many other fans' "greatness" discussions in the years and decades ahead!

yeszir
04-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Right, no one can say if this team is better than the teams of the 1910's. Those were some championship teams, and no one who saw them is alive now. :(

I think its a bit too early to say anything, especially since we're missing two of our best hitters. Wait another month, and like TheFens, I'll get back to you.

And also, like 67bleachers said, its impossible to measure teamwork/leadership and all of that stuff. It's all a matter of opinion really.

Tek04
04-30-2004, 09:21 PM
I wont make any predictions until a few weeks after the all-star game....the sox always get off to a great start in the beginning of the season...and then blow it somehow in the second half.

dirtdogman5
05-01-2004, 09:31 AM
So far (that's a big "so far") this year's team has been the best I've watched in my lifetime. The difference between this year's team and the team's of the past is that this time we actually have great, and I mean great pitching. Our offense isn't spectacular, but it will get much better when Trot and Nomar come back. I'm very happy with the outcome of the season so far, and I just hope (and know) it will last.

Tek04
05-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by dirtdogman5@May 1 2004, 10:31 AM
So far (that's a big "so far") this year's team has been the best I've watched in my lifetime. The difference between this year's team and the team's of the past is that this time we actually have great, and I mean great pitching. Our offense isn't spectacular, but it will get much better when Trot and Nomar come back. I'm very happy with the outcome of the season so far, and I just hope (and know) it will last.
how can you say that?

They started off the same exact way last year.

dirtdogman5
05-01-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Tek04+May 1 2004, 11:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tek04 @ May 1 2004, 11:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dirtdogman5@May 1 2004, 10:31 AM
So far (that&#39;s a big "so far") this year&#39;s team has been the best I&#39;ve watched in my lifetime. The difference between this year&#39;s team and the team&#39;s of the past is that this time we actually have great, and I mean great pitching. Our offense isn&#39;t spectacular, but it will get much better when Trot and Nomar come back. I&#39;m very happy with the outcome of the season so far, and I just hope (and know) it will last.
how can you say that?

They started off the same exact way last year. [/b][/quote]
I can say that because last year we had Casey Fossum in our pitching staff. The missing link was pitching and that&#39;s what wins championships. Last year&#39;s beginning was not the same as this year&#39;s. Last year in the first month we had so many question marks with the bullpen and starting pitching. This year our only problem is a missing Nomar and Trot and we&#39;re still winning without them.

yeszir
05-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Also, last year our bullpen was shaky. The whole committee thing and blown games every other day. This year, our pen is one of our strongest aspects.

yawkeyway
05-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Does this team have the potential to be the best Red Sox team yet? Yes, it does. Will it be? Most likely not. Its so hard to be the best ever. You can be great, and I have no doubt that this team will be, but not the best.

We have the right elements, hitting pitching and fielding (to an extent at least), and they sure are a joy to watch. I&#39;d say yes if you asked if they were the best team in baseball this year.